• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resi 4 pics!

u_neek

New?

3875.jpg

3876.jpg

3877.jpg

3878.jpg

3879.jpg

3880.jpg

3882.jpg

3883.jpg

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Damn those are some nice visuals. Especially w/ the number of detailed characters on screen.

I have no problems w/ a game that gorgeous running at a constant 30fps.

u_neek

Yeah, easily the best looking console game ever!

I'm so amazed by the girl in the first pic - she looks so... real!

Yeah, we have to wait a full 16 days after this year ends until we get out hands on Resident Evil 4...Probably a dumb move on Capcom's part, but I'm getting it, and I'll be happy to have it, no matter when it comes out. If I were Capcom, I'd delay a couple weeks farther, but that's just me.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Makura said:
The first pic look as good as SH3 cut scenes IMO, anybody disagree?

Yes. The clothing is poorly textured and blocky and the face lacks the texture of SH3. However, RE4 looks much more impressive overall as it can deliver that level of detail with a large number of characters on the screen and no real limit on viewing distance.

The (second batch of) pics look grainy because that's what the game looks like in motion. I remember it looking about that grainy at E3. You could tell the purposely added grain was there when you took a quick look at Metroid Prime 2 while playing RE4. It look fine in motion though. It gives the game a gritty kind of look.

The models and texturing are great, but what about lighting and shadowing and dynamics? I haven't seen much that is impressive in that respect and that would really lend itself to this type of game.

ge-man

BigGreenMat said:
The models and texturing are great, but what about lighting and shadowing and dynamics? I haven't seen much that is impressive in that respect and that would really lend itself to this type of game.

It looks like those elements are being overlooked in favor of the crazy geometry. The game is beautiful, but it does look out of place in a era in which the graphical powerhouses are putting a huge emphasis on shaders, shadows and lighting.

I think you'll see some really great lighting in some of the in door places in Resident Evil 4. Like take a look at some of the original Resident Evil 4 trailers, and you'll see some amazing lighting and shadowing work. The game is still using that same engine.

Gattsu25

Banned
It doesn't look out of place, in my eyes. I'm personally getting tired of the 'shader' look

and as toy says, the trailers suggest the game has good lighting and shadows...maybe not as accurate as they could be, though

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
BigGreenMat said:

They are simply going in a different direction, and it's probably a good idea in this case. There is NO WAY they could pull off visuals of this level with advanced shadows present. Every game that has attempted to present a fairly accurate shadow model has been very small in scale. From Silent Hill 2/3 to Doom 3 to DXIW and Thief III...each of those games are based in small locales. Far Cry has a good shadowing engine, however, but it is only really active when you are indoors...and those areas are, of course, quite small.

Capcom simply decided to go a different route here, and it was probably a good idea.

I'm personally getting tired of the 'shader' look

You don't need to have that "shader look", though. While Silent Hill 2 and 3 were limited to casting shadows from only one light source, those shadows were still very impressive to behold (as every object in the world was capable of casting a soft shadow on everything else including themselves). Those games certainly don't have a "shader" look to them.

I think the lighting in this game is fantastic. Particularly the parts at night that we've seen in the videos. I was completely floored at how well the game handled the lightning light and smooth shadows on the characters. All in all, there isn't that much to complain about in terms of game visuals.

ge-man

I hope people aren't thinking that I consider their direction a negative. After GI subscirbers began liking pics of the new design I was one of first to praise it. The old trailers did nothing for me.

Top Bottom