• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

big_z

That's why I love her so! A quick question though -
so Carla knew she was Carla but was pretending to be Ada? Or did she start off pretending to be Ada and then slowly start believing her own lies?

ALSO

ffa5H.png

FEED ME MORE now, CAPCOCPOCOM

so if you finish the game on professional do all the achievements for lower difficulties unlock as well?

Nemesis_

so if you finish the game on professional do all the achievements for lower difficulties unlock as well?

Yup, achievements stack for difficulties.

Though the in-game % Complete counter requires you to complete all campaigns on all difficulties to read 100%

GeekyDad

keep practicing. the only thing clunky about the game mechanics is some of the crap with the camera. the character controls are amazing once you get used to them.

Yeah, I'd say that's my main issue with the game. Part of me really enjoys the freedom, but it does take away a certain focus RE games have always had, not to mention the jittery nature of the visuals when twisting the camera around.

big_z

i've been playing co-op on veteran and have chris and leon done. if i switch to professional for the other two characters when i finish it will i still get the veteran and lower achievements?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know how people could have finished Jake 2 without meleeing the stealth bug things and using the sniper rifle on the slope.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like
Chris's car chase scene
on professional is an extreme test of patience. Also it's where Capcom offloaded their most annoying vehicle ideas... It's the last thing I need for pro and it's unavoidable.
Just be thankful it isn't the RE5 Gigante turret fight on Pro. Now THAT was hell.

Sectus

Sherry top tier Mercenary.
Ada low tier Mercenary.

Makes me sad because I love Ada's alt. Even Carla's loadout seems better than both Ada's.

All true....Ada is useless : (

I just did a 150 combo yesterday in duo on High Seas with Ada2, so I can't really agree there. Ada1 is one of the trickiest characters to play as, but she is really powerful. The crossbow can one-shot the exploding javo, headshots kills almost anything (difficult to line up though) and you got a simple quickshot->melee kill combo. And you have a ton of explosive bolts for when things become hectic. The only downside is that I have trouble getting tons of melees using Ada1.

Ada2 has a simple weapon loadout but it works great. The machine pistol is one of the better ones as you can easily set up for melees (unlike Ada1's machine pistol) and the sniper rifle is very useful against javo when they start setting up snipers and rocket launcher guys.

Ken

I should have prefaced and said Urban Chaos, Sectus. But I haven't gotten any 150 combos yet so yeah. I mean I don't want to hate on Ada2 but she definitely seems hard to use. Which exploding J'avo are you talking about? The ones with the big sac thing and have two human legs sticking out? I don't have High Seas so I don't know what that's like.

Sectus

I should have prefaced and said Urban Chaos, Sectus. But I haven't gotten any 150 combos yet so yeah. I mean I don't want to hate on Ada2 but she definitely seems hard to use. Which exploding J'avo are you talking about? The ones with the big sac thing and have two human legs sticking out? I don't have High Seas so I don't know what that's like.

Yeah, those. I think Ada1 has the best way to deal with them. Other ways I know of are either risky, wasteful or time consuming(doing a running melee which damages you, or using a magnum which is wasteful, or firing a lot at them with any weapon which takes way too long).

I haven't tried Ada1 against zombies yet so I'm not sure how that would go. I'm curious how many enemy types her quickshot->melee would work against.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
If I'm trying to unlock characters/outfits in RE6, is it easier to do it on Mercs solo or co-op? I know the requirements on solo are lower but then again you have two people dealing damage in co-op versus just one person.

Ken

Yeah, those. I think Ada1 has the best way to deal with them. Other ways I know of are either risky, wasteful or time consuming(doing a running melee which damages you, or using a magnum which is wasteful, or firing a lot at them with any weapon which takes way too long).

I haven't tried Ada1 against zombies yet so I'm not sure how that would go. I'm curious how many enemy types her quickshot->melee would work against.

I'm confused though; you can just shoot out their legs with a few pistol shots and they'll fall down and explode. Are you talking about the armored J'avo where you have to break the shell open?

The problem with either Ada IMO is that you don't really have an effective answer against the fat zombies. Sherry can take one out with 4 magnum shots so she has more than enough rounds to take care of the 3 that show up. It's more time consuming for Ada2's sniper rifle but I'll try out Ada1's explosive crossbow against them. Carla's grenade launcher is great against them and the Bloodshots though.

Default Ada is perfect on Steel Beast.
j'avo=quickshot melee.
mutated j'avo=1 hit with explosive arrow.
Napad=1 explosive arrow to knock armor off+1 to kill.

Chris is the best at keeping a combo going.
Alt Sherry is the best at destroying enemies, with Alt Helena 2nd
Piers' sniper is great for quickshots, especially on Bloodshots.

Sectus

I'm confused though; you can just shoot out their legs with a few pistol shots and they'll fall down and explode. Are you talking about the armored J'avo where you have to break the shell open?

The problem with either Ada IMO is that you don't really have an effective answer against the fat zombies. Sherry can take one out with 4 magnum shots so she has more than enough rounds to take care of the 3 that show up. It's more time consuming for Ada2's sniper rifle but I'll try out Ada1's explosive crossbow against them. Carla's grenade launcher is great against them and the Bloodshots though.

Maybe I haven't realized it's faster to shoot at the legs. What I've been doing is shoot directly at them, and then they kneel down and explode after a few seconds. Ada's crossbow makes them explode instantly though, which is super useful. I should probably try a few runs with Ada1 and 2 in urban chaos to see how that goes. I'm not sure how I'd handle the whoppers. With Ada1, I assume her explosive bolts would be effective enough at least.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe I haven't realized it's faster to shoot at the legs. What I've been doing is shoot directly at them, and then they kneel down and explode after a few seconds. Ada's crossbow makes them explode instantly though, which is super useful. I should probably try a few runs with Ada1 and 2 in urban chaos to see how that goes. I'm not sure how I'd handle the whoppers. With Ada1, I assume her explosive bolts would be effective enough at least.

At least in campaign 4, it takes a lot of explosive bolts to kill whoppers. I generally would use an explosive bolt to stun them, go in for a melee, then finish them with a few shotgun blasts. Of course I don't know if she has a shotgun in her Mercs loadout. And yeah shooting at those guys' legs will cause them to kneel down and explode.

the real problem with zombies is the shooters which Ada isn't that equipped to take out.
besides the rare sniper & RPG guy the j'avo all rush to you making it easier to crossbow then melee them in time.

Ken

Yeah just a few shots to the legs will cause them to fall down and explode a few seconds later. It's pretty handy to keep the combo going especially on Steal Beast where enemies can be pretty spread out.

Think it takes about 3 explosive bolts to take out the armored guys with Target Master skill.

Just tried Ada1 on Urban Chaos. I really don't like her SMG; quickshotting the dogs expends a lot of ammo and the inability to swap to single shot like Sherry1's pistol can makes it hard to conserve ammo early on. Explosive crossbows work okay on the fat zombies but still not as efficient as a magnum since I had to constantly swap back and forth between weapons to keep the combo going.

In the end Ada2 is still the Ada I want to play but the sniper rifle and assault rifle makes me sad.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
If I'm trying to unlock characters/outfits in RE6, is it easier to do it on Mercs solo or co-op? I know the requirements on solo are lower but then again you have two people dealing damage in co-op versus just one person.

Way easier in duo... Mercs solo is very challenging. Duo is still challenging, but not in the running for you life oh god I hope I can even survive this vicious onslaught kind of way.

I've S ranked with randoms and even 150 combo'd.... in solo... well... LOL.

Evolved1

I still need to get A's with Piers and Ada for the last character... maybe today.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Way easier in duo... Mercs solo is very challenging. Duo is still challenging, but not in the running for you life oh god I hope I can even survive this vicious onslaught kind of way.

I've S ranked with randoms and even 150 combo'd.... in solo... well... LOL.

Oooh, got it. Maybe I'll play some Mercs duo with randoms then, once I finish the 4th campaign (which I'm not really enjoying all that much tbh - the combat in this scenario is pretty annoying).

Nemesis_

Oooh, got it. Maybe I'll play some Mercs duo with randoms then, once I finish the 4th campaign (which I'm not really enjoying all that much tbh - the combat in this scenario is pretty annoying).

Fourth campaign was like, my favouritest ever :(

Carbonox

Will Piers
return as an antagonist in RE7
?

I doubt
we'll ever see him again which is a massive shame. I quite liked him and it was fucking badass and heroic what he did to save Chris. First time we've seen a protagonist purposefully mutate themselves in order to save the day as it were.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Fourth campaign was like, my favouritest ever :(

Really? They throw everything and the kitchen sink at you, and you don't even have a partner to help you out. I'm only two chapters in but it's been pretty annoying so far (although the crossover in Chapter 2 and the final arena battle in that chapter were pretty fun).

Nemesis_

Really? They throw everything and the kitchen sink at you, and you don't even have a partner to help you out. I'm only two chapters in but it's been pretty annoying so far (although the crossover in Chapter 2 and the final arena battle were pretty fun).

I don't recall having these issues, and I played on Professional mode as well.

I remember having issues with Chapter 1, actually, though if you play stealthily it becomes less of an issue.

Or is there something I've forgotten :(

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I don't recall having these issues, and I played on Professional mode as well.

I remember having issues with Chapter 1, actually, though if you play stealthily it becomes less of an issue.

Or is there something I've forgotten :(

Well in Chapter 1
the entire escape sequence was a pain in the butt. You're trying to run fast and turn on all these switches and you have to contend with the annoying wasp enemies, not to mention the crapload of mutated J'avo they throw at you when you're trying to "answer questions" before you can escape. It just feels like a chore to work through all that.

Chapter 2 was much better though. I'm hoping Chapters 3-5 will also be more fun than the painful first chapter.

Nemesis_

I like those intense moments. I thought it perfectly captured how hard it would be to be
Ada and just how bad ass she was in that she could pull off all this stuff BY HERSELF

Do you know how to defeat the wasp things? Once you do they are pretty simple - their projectiles are slow moving too =/

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I like those intense moments. I thought it perfectly captured how hard it would be to be
Ada and just how bad ass she was in that she could pull off all this stuff BY HERSELF

Do you know how to defeat the wasp things? Once you do they are pretty simple - their projectiles are slow moving too =/

Yeah I'm supposed to shoot the big wasp and not the human-looking thing, but the weapons they give you are annoying to use and I'd rather just run past them to conserve ammo for the J'avo.

I do agree with you though that
it makes her seem more badass for pulling all that stuff off by herself. And this is after all the final campaign, so I guess I should expect it to be harder than the others.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just be thankful it isn't the RE5 Gigante turret fight on Pro. Now THAT was hell.

Man just when I was really looking back on re5 fondly, you had to remind me of that frustrating sequence. So bad.

Evolved1

Yeah I'm supposed to shoot the big wasp and not the human-looking thing, but the weapons they give you are annoying to use and I'd rather just run past them to conserve ammo for the J'avo.

I do agree with you though that
it makes her seem more badass for pulling all that stuff off by herself. And this is after all the final campaign, so I guess I should expect it to be harder than the others.

Easy mode for wasp enemy:
one shot to the humanoid with a weak weapon to coax out the main bug, then just isolate the bug and quick shot it with pipebomb arrow. Or even melee will kill it. But you have to isolate the bug so the quickshot/melee doesn't fire in the wrong direction. If you have multiple enemies, go through a doorway and try to get them to follow... sometimes they do this one at a time making it less clustered and them easier to kill.

Sectus

Tried a few solo runs using Ada1 and Ada2 in urban chaos.

Ada1 was much different than I thought. Her machine pistol is weak but it is doable to set up meeles with it. What I did was one of two things: fire around 4 bullets at a zombie and then do a running kick, that would always kill them. Or burst fire at head or shoulders and then do melee. That's more unreliable but it works too.

Her normal crossbow bolts seems almost useless at normal zombies. I think you need to fire around 4 bolts to kill one zombie which is absurd. Headshots is the only way to use normal bolts. Explosive bolts are super useful though. You can kill the whoppers in one go without losing combo but you need to do it quick (I think it takes 4 bolts). But it is safer to get some kills in between. And explosive bolts works great against everything in general. I found it useful against the bloodshots to shoot a bolt against one, and then try to do a counter against another while waiting for bolt explode.

It is really hard to play as her though. Miss with those bolts and you lose valuable time and ammo.

Ada2 has an easier time setting up melees with her machine pistol but it is really hard to utilize her sniper rifle against zombies (it's really only good against zombies which are far away). She starts off with 3 explosive grenades which I imagine are vital for bringing down the whoppers. I guess Ada2 is only really effective against javo, or zombies if you're playing duo.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Easy mode for wasp enemy:
one shot to the humanoid with a weak weapon to coax out the main bug, then just isolate the bug and quick shot it with pipebomb arrow. Or even melee will kill it. But you have to isolate the bug so the quickshot/melee doesn't fire in the wrong direction. If you have multiple enemies, go through a doorway and try to get them to follow... sometimes they do this one at a time making it less clustered and them easier to kill.

Ooh interesting! I'll give that a shot next time.

Evolved1

Tried a few solo runs using Ada1 and Ada2 in urban chaos.

Ada1 was much different than I thought. Her machine pistol is weak but it is doable to set up meeles with it. What I did was one of two things: fire around 4 bullets at a zombie and then do a running kick, that would always kill them. Or burst fire at head or shoulders and then do melee. That's more unreliable but it works too.

Her normal crossbow bolts seems almost useless at normal zombies. I think you need to fire around 4 bolts to kill one zombie which is absurd. Headshots is the only way to use normal bolts. Explosive bolts are super useful though. You can kill the whoppers in one go without losing combo but you need to do it quick (I think it takes 4 bolts). But it is safer to get some kills in between. And explosive bolts works great against everything in general. I found it useful against the bloodshots to shoot a bolt against one, and then try to do a counter against another while waiting for bolt explode.

It is really hard to play as her though. Miss with those bolts and you lose valuable time and ammo.

Ada2 has an easier time setting up melees with her machine pistol but it is really hard to utilize her sniper rifle against zombies (it's really only good against zombies which are far away). She starts off with 3 explosive grenades which I imagine are vital for bringing down the whoppers. I guess Ada2 is only really effective against javo, or zombies if you're playing duo.

Ada1 really gets tricky with the armored gun-using enemies... her machine pistol is crap at range. It just pisses bullets making a long range headshot combo-save really hard. And if you try the crossbow, you better hit. Miss and the combo ends while you reload. Also, around that time yo're dealing with spitters and magnum assholes, so lining up a crossbow shot is a pretty big risk.

Not saying it isn't possible... but I think Ada1 is basically pro mode. Mad respect for the people that can climb the solo leaderboard with her.

Afrocious

Do we know how skills in Mercenaries Duo work? I have some questions about this.

1) Say I have Medic (I believe that's the skill that allows me to heal my partner from far away) and my friend has Limit Breaker on. If he heals from across the map, will it heal me also? Also, will the Limit Breaker point bonus apply for every enemy I kill when the combo is 50+?

I'm just wondering if my partner and I should both roll with Limit Breaker...do we know if two Limit Breakers stack points?

Prinny

I'm glad I didn't listen to the REviews. It's not as good as RE4 but I enjoyed this game more than RE5, UC1/3, Dead Space 1/2 and Gears 3 (never played 1 and 2).

Nemesis_

Do we know how skills in Mercenaries Duo work? I have some questions about this.

1) Say I have Medic (I believe that's the skill that allows me to heal my partner from far away) and my friend has Limit Breaker on. If he heals from across the map, will it heal me also? Also, will the Limit Breaker point bonus apply for every enemy I kill when the combo is 50+?

I'm just wondering if my partner and I should both roll with Limit Breaker...do we know if two Limit Breakers stack points?

Aren't the points shared anyway?

Not saying it isn't possible... but I think Ada1 is basically pro mode. Mad respect for the people that can climb the solo leaderboard with her.

I'm Top 20 on High Seas Fortress with her...granted, not many people have the map, but still. Gonna play Steel Beast today, and try to figure out a way to get a code for Rail Yard...

Christopher

Storywise does this have ANY ties to the other games at all...or is it completely it's own thing?

I know they kind of severed the continuous stoyline at Resdient Evil 4, but tried to make some connections in 5...lol

Nemesis_

Storywise does this have ANY ties to the other games at all...or is it completely it's own thing?

I know they kind of severed the continuous stoyline at Resdient Evil 4, but tried to make some connections in 5...lol

Depends on the extent.

Though the files do clarify a lot of loose plot points from RE1 to RE3 as far as I am aware.

Carbonox

It's its own thing but there are many references to some previous events.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Well one of the main characters has a direct connection to one of the characters from RE5. Also it is implied that Chris has become legendary after he defeated Albert Wesker in RE5, and that ties into his story arc throughout his campaign.

The overall plot is its own separate thing, but there are enough ties for this to feel like a Resi game.

Top Bottom