• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 PC Version |UnOT| Bros before BOWs

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
The funniest things that keeps happening to me in laggy Mercs matches:

dogaFFE.png

Getting chomped by a headless Zombie!

THANK YOU!!!!! I thought I was the only one dealing with this shit! I can't tell you how many times I've had a zombie, who's head I've already stomped into oblivion, grab my legs and pull me to the floor! Capcom.....FIX THE NETCODE FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr_Zombie

Not only that, but the game feels like it is dragging. Seriously, I am at chapter 2 and the first chapter felt like an eternity. Now I understand the average reviews this game got because It is a corridor shooter on-rails. I dont know how the rest of the campaigns looked, but in RE4 you atleast got to areas where you could explore freely.

Get used to it - chapters are really long (looking back, each chapter took me about 1-1.5 hour to finish) which sometimes can be tedious. However, when you see "Saving" with a typewritter icon in the upper left corner of the screen it means you are starting a new sub-chapter that you can later select from the main menu. So if you don't feel like playing the chapter anymore right now, you can exit the game and continue from that moment later.

I don't know what you mean by areas you can "explore freely" - there are slower moments in the game with bigger areas which you can roam freely, but there isn't really too much reason to explore other than just looking for ammo or those blue symbols (or ride a panda in Chris's chapter 3 :lol). Later chapters aren't as chaotic as Leon 1, though.

My advice is to mix campaigns. Don't stick with just Leon till the end, because it will get tedious after a while (especially since the majority of enemies in Leon's campaign are zombies). Chris' campaign is more action oriented (i.e. enemies with guns, more aggressive enemies and enemies that constantly mutate) and Jake's is filled with various gimmicks (whether it's a stealth section, no weapon section, snowmobile ride, undestructable bosses etc.). And of course learn the combat, because if you don't experiment with combat (slides, counters, melees) and simply play it as a cover shooter, it can get boring.

After beating three main campaigns (Chris', Leon's and Jake's) I can say that the game is indeed really uneven, full of highs and lows. And maybe it's just that I don't play so many games these days anymore, but I don't agree with the low scores the game got. At it's lowest, it's an average action game with some questionable gameplay decisions (some QTE and vehicle or escape sections that were too long, or various instant death moments); it certainly isn't a horrible abomination like it was painted in some reviews.

One thing I certainly didn't like about the game are boss battles. Most of them were spoiled by the game's ambitions to be too cinematic for its own good: too many cut-scenes interrupting the battle (
during the turret section in Simmon's "dinosaur" battle I could barely shoot him for more than few seconds, because the game was constantly switching to a cut-scene of the car driving away or Derek running into stuff
) or battle that consisted of too many short section that played differently (
Deborah battle, various Simmon's battles
). There were very few bosses where it was just you, the boss and the gameplay without any additional gimmicks.

Anyone want to team up for the RE.net event? Looks like you have to have your teams registered by today. Seems like it's an excuse to play lots of Mercenaries, but it can't hurt to see how well things go. Add me on Steam/RE.net; I'm registered as RocketDarkness on both services.

Speaking of RE.net, what's the deal with the unlockable costumes shown here: https://www.residentevil.net/en/windows/items.html? Is this just a shortcut to unlock that stuff or are they palette swaps? I wanna spend some RE points but I want shit I haven't already unlocked.

They're palette swaps of the alternate costumes, in case you haven't unlocked one of them yet or you want a slightly different color. Strictly unnecessary, but it's the only thing worth spending points on, and earning them is painless, so it's a nice bonus for playing the game.

@Snuggler: I think you create the team, and then people can join. Wanted to coordinate, just in case random people can join your teams or whatever. Interface is a bit weird.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Cool, thanks.

Anyone want to team up for the RE.net event? Looks like you have to have your teams registered by today. Seems like it's an excuse to play lots of Mercenaries, but it can't hurt to see how well things go. Add me on Steam/RE.net; I'm registered as RocketDarkness on both services.

I'm down. I made a NeoGAF team, do I need to send out invites? https://www.residentevil.net/en/windows/team-57.html

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Smuggles I'm afraid your advice does not work. Steam will tell you who you've played with recently *ONLY* for a Valve game....no for any other games. Therefore you cannot bring up a list of players you've recently played with in RE6. I cannot believe in 2013 we have a PC game where we cannot send messages to random online coop players after a match to say "ggs" or "thanks, nice playing with you". That is simply INEXCUSABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Capcom IFX THIS SHIT ASAP!!!!!!! The online in RE6 PC is an ABOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smuggles I'm afraid your advice does not work. Steam will tell you who you've played with recently *ONLY* for a Valve game....no for any other games. Therefore you cannot bring up a list of players you've recently played with in RE6. I cannot believe in 2013 we have a PC game where we cannot send messages to random online coop players after a match to say "ggs" or "thanks, nice playing with you". That is simply INEXCUSABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Capcom IFX THIS SHIT ASAP!!!!!!! The online in RE6 PC is an ABOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It should at least be using their Steam username, so you can look them up directly after. Also, I think other devs can implement that functionality via Steamworks, but it's up to the developer to do so.

isamu

It should at least be using their Steam username, so you can look them up directly after. Also, I think other devs can implement that functionality via Steamworks, but it's up to the developer to do so.

Yeah it seems the only way is to look up their username which is nothing short of asanine. Someone on the steam forums said you can look at their steam profile before the match starts but I don't know how to do this?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
@Snuggler: I think you create the team, and then people can join. Wanted to coordinate, just in case random people can join your teams or whatever. Interface is a bit weird.

I see. In that case, if anyone wants in, now's a good time. But my feelings won't be hurt if this one gets filled (or ignored) and you guys start a better coordinated one.

Dang. Maybe post a Missed Connection on Craigslist.

I see. In that case, if anyone wants in, now's a good time. But my feelings won't be hurt if this one gets filled (or ignored) and you guys start a better coordinated one.

Dang. Maybe post a Missed Connection on Craigslist.

I created the team, so you should be able to join it by going to this link. I'm not particularly interested in winning, I just kind of enjoy participating. But I'll definitely play a decent chunk of Mercenaries this weekend, so I won't be dead weight or anything.

EDIT: You already created a team? I'll join yours, then.

Riposte

It seems you win the event by playing more than anyone. That doesn't really excite me, but I'm still going to participate.

I think I got too excited for the event at the end of the month ("Ustanak AND Ubistvo? Sounds like a killer combo, but you can handle it, right?"), but just now realize it probably just means kill those two in separate encounters, where you find them.

EDIT: I requested to join your team snuggler.

It seems you win the event by playing more than anyone. That doesn't really excite me, but I'm still going to participate.

I think I got too excited for the event at the end of the month ("Ustanak AND Ubistvo? Sounds like a killer combo, but you can handle it, right?"), but just now realize it probably just means kill those two in separate encounters, where you find them.

Yeah, it's just a nice way to get a few extra points, and an excuse to maybe play a different mode than you usually do. Plus keeping track means we won't miss any EX3 opportunities.

Mr_Zombie

Can anyone explain how does the current event work? Do you have to achieve the medals in one match, or can you play as many matches as you want?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Okay, added you guys and we're all full. Let's show these bitches what the NeoGAF Videogame Discussion Forum is all about.

BTW, I missed your post about creating a team, Rocket. Sorry about stepping on your toes like that.

ArjanN

lol, never change isamu.

The 'recently played with' functionality is supposed to work for non-Valve games though, so I guess they just didn't implement it correctly in RE6? I'm surprised there is anything to implement at all, I figured Steam would just take care of that automatically.

JudgeN

This is going to be a noob question but how do I installed RE6 models? And how do I activate them with the trainer?

Nvm figured it out.

Corridor shooter taken to new and undesirable heights. I just played the first 45 mins and all I did was run and open doors. Every now and then I did some shooting. After the intro/prelude, which is completely pointless, and the weird, silent CGI followed by another title screen, I figured the game would actually start, but there was simply more running and opening doors. I'm sure this thread has covered that.

I'm sure this thread has also covered the crappy textures, messed up lighting that makes most objects completely black, endless cut scenes and scripted events, dumb AI/glitches, shrieking noises when you get the right timing...

I guess I expected this seeing gameplay videos. This game is a mess.

Will we ever see another, real Resident Evil game?

mikeGFG

Banned
This run, open door, run open door, shoot, run, open door thing has been taken to unimaginable levels in this game. I just played the first 45 mins and all I did was run and open doors. After the intro/prelude, which is completely pointless, and the weird, silent CGI followed by another title screen, I figured the game would actually start, but there was simply more running and opening doors. I'm sure this thread has covered that.

I'm sure this thread has also covered the crappy textures, messed up lighting that makes most objects completely black, endless cut scenes, dumb AI/glitches, shrieking noises when you get the right timing...

I guess I expected this seeing gameplay videos. This game is a mess.

Will we ever see another, real Resident Evil game?

Honestly, you described pretty much every Resident Evil game out there.

tumblr_m35cfiyd3a1qjvbspo1_400.gif

Honestly, you described pretty much every Resident Evil game out there.

tumblr_m35cfiyd3a1qjvbspo1_400.gif

Well, if you can recall the first 45 mins of RE1 and 2 and compare it to this it's obvious those games were a shitload better.

You could actually move around in those games; you had some control over your character. Those games had depth; there was an atmosphere and suspense and puzzles and shit.

This is just running opening doors and shooting once in a while. It's nothing like those Resident Evil games and it sucks.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So I finished my first campaign. Leon's. End spoiler:
dude, just die already. That was even worse than Wesker in RE5.
The campaign had some fun moments but I'm having a hard time staying motivated to play through all of the story when Mercenaries is much more to the point. I have Christ and Jake 3-5 and all of Ada left. Wish there were either less or shorter chapters but I still want to see it through.

Well, if you can recall the first 45 mins of RE1 and 2 and compare it to this it's obvious those games were a shitload better.

You could actually move around in those games; you had some control over your character.

While I find most of your other points understandable even if I don't entirely agree I have to raise question here. What does this mean? RE1/2 have some of the worst movement systems in any game I've played. RE6 on the other hand gives you more ways to move and interact with your character than any other game I've played outside of Vanquish.

I wish I could enjoy the first few Resident Evil games, Silent Hill was always so much better and less clunky. Do like the gamecube games and Outbreak though.

GSR

RE6 does make a horrible first impression. I know I was not a fan of the prologue or, since I was following the OP order, Chris 1 or 2 (and Chris' campaign has remained the weakest.)

But once you do get used to how to move and fight, the game becomes way more enjoyable. There's a reason Mercs has such a large fanbase.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
The campaign had some fun moments but I'm having a hard time staying motivated to play through all of the story when Mercenaries is much more to the point. I have Christ and Jake 3-5 and all of Ada left. Wish there were either less or shorter chapters but I still want to see it through.

Leon's campaign peters out rather embarrassingly, yeah, but I liked the final stretch to both Chris and Jake's. Ada's final chapter is a dumpster fire. Liked it up until that point though.

I think the rest of what you have is worth going through still.

Gyrian

Damn, I missed out on the RE.NET team conversation.
I created one also for players here over the weekend, but it didn't look like you were allowed to start filling the slots until closer to the event start.

Well, that's still there for anyone looking to group!

I started going over the campaigns in the last couple of days, finally, and I will say I'm surprised at how easy it is to partner with a random still.
If only that were true for the Extra Modes.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Damn, I missed out on the RE.NET team conversation.
I created one also for players here over the weekend, but it didn't look like you were allowed to start filling the slots until closer to the event start.

Dammit Gyrian, I just created a team and was gonna ask you to join. I wonder if I can disband team "GladYou'reOnMySide" and join yours?

Also, good games Saturday night. Gyrian and I had a hilarious time going through Leon's campaign (I joined up around the church) and spamming the hell out of ad-libs. Soooo good.

It was better than the one time I joined someone's game in Leon 5 and only had Leon's pistols.

jediyoshi

..comparing the first 45 minutes. Much of the rest of RE6 itself is pretty discernible from the awful opening as well. Pretty sure if you broke down mechnically what you were doing in either, they all boil down to getting to the next door while combating absurd controls.

Gyrian

Dammit Gyrian, I just created a team and was gonna ask you to join. I wonder if I can disband team "GladYou'reOnMySide" and join yours?

Also, good games Saturday night. Gyrian and I had a hilarious time going through Leon's campaign (I joined up around the church) and spamming the hell out of ad-libs. Soooo good.

It was better than the one time I joined someone's game in Leon 5 and only had Leon's pistols.

Dammit Kyouji, I just saw your team's name a moment ago and knew that was you before I read your tag underneath, haha. It's perfect!
I disbanded my empty team and pooled in with dragonlife and Jawmuncher not even 5 minutes ago.
It's nice to see a good amount of people active on this, and it helps the event essentially just requires everyone to play a bunch of Mercs.

You know, despite the consistently poor first impression on the campaigns, they're still rather fun to run through in good company.
We're going to have to get serious with No Hope one of these days. :0

Jawmuncher

Made a Recolor Mod

Like to say it's pretty good for a first attempt
(The headband is fixed on my file)

*What is up with the RE6 modding forum, haven't gotten my activation email yet how long does it take?*

GSR

Finished Jake's campaign, still have Chris 5/Leon 5/Ada to go.

I actually rather liked it overall, though there were a few sections that didn't go so well (motorbike, etc.) And that final boss was a pain because
if he got you down to dying by hitting the floor where you were you were essentially instant-killed because you'd take damage before your partner could revive you

Mr_Zombie

I agree, it was beyond ridiculous.
At least Wesker wasn't "dying" after each battle, he was just running away. This guy, on the other hand, was constantly faking his death only to come back for more two minutes later. And the worst thing is, he wasn't even a good villain. When he randomly started shouting that he love Ada and that Leon isn't manly enough for her I just wanted to laugh :lol Bitch please, even Alfred wasn't as pathetic as you.

I finished Ada's campaign yesterday and thought it was ok-ish. The second chapter was my personal favorite out of all campaigns - it was slower than other chapters and full of puzzles. If only the main campaign was more like this it would be much better. The last chapter, on the other hand, was bad - a rail shooter for 2/3 of the chapter and then a boss fight
that we've already played in Leon 5
. Weak ending. :/ I also didn't like how many insta-death moments there were in her campaign. Is it even possible to get through the
flood
without dying at least once on the first playthrough? Because the game doesn't even give you time to look around and think and expects you to know exactly where to go and be there fast. It's especially painful with the valve in the other room thing - in order to survive that, I had to run straight to the valve, not even waiting for the cut-scene that was showing its location to start.

I also have mixed feelings on
Carla boss
. It was creepy, I give you that (it reminded me of Eileen's head in SH4 :lol) but the boss fight was broken. If you don't have any explosives (arrows or granades) during the battle you are literally screwed. At first I wasn't fast enough to
shoot the nitrogen containers
and thus the boss managed to regenerate. At that point I was out of explosive ammos and had only one grenade. I tried to kill the boss with normal weapons - but even after unloading all my rifle and shotgun ammo in its eyes, the hole in the head didn't even start showing up. Dying and restarting the battle was my best option then. :|

I hate how underdeveloped
Carla
was as a villain. Seriously, I think right next to Zero, RE6 is the worst RE game when it comes to villains (even Survivor and Dead Aim surpass it). Their motives are laughable, their interaction with characters is almost non-existent and they are not even funny like Saddler or Salazar were. I think it's criminal that in order to even know who
Carla
was you have to collect reports in Ada's chapter, because it isn't even explained in the game itself.

And Ada, you are a beautiful and intelligent women (seriously, I think I fell in love; sorry Jill) but can you please shut the fuck up? Why do you have to talk so much?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

You could actually move around in those games; you had some control over your character. Those games had depth; there was an atmosphere and suspense and puzzles and shit.

This is actually just wrong.

Riposte

I also have mixed feelings on
Carla boss
. It was creepy, I give you that (it reminded me of Eileen's head in SH4 :lol) but the boss fight was broken. If you don't have any explosives (arrows or granades) during the battle you are literally screwed. At first I wasn't fast enough to
shoot the nitrogen containers
and thus the boss managed to regenerate. At that point I was out of explosive ammos and had only one grenade. I tried to kill the boss with normal weapons - but even after unloading all my rifle and shotgun ammo in its eyes, the hole in the head didn't even start showing up. Dying and restarting the battle was my best option then. :|

IIRC there is a supply of ammo via those sacks she spits up or maybe it was some enemies, memory is foggy.

The vehicle sections are so bad, why is this shit in the game?
Loadings between gameplay and cutscenes really break the flow of the action.
Low-res textures everywhere, I wish they'd release a hi-res texture pack.
Christ, these QTEs are so damn annoying, it's something that never really bothered me in other games but here they are so badly implemented.

The game's saving grace is that when it isn't throwing a shitty gimmick at the player the gameplay is actually fun enough to make me endure and play through it.

GSR

Forgot to say, the ending theme to Jake's campaign was amazing for all the wrong reasons. Was that Troy Baker singing? It sounded like a track from Titan A.E.

Is there any special unlockable for completing No Hope mode? Getting through it but good god it can be hard. Worst bit is running out of herbs and being locked out of most of the melee moves because I have one tab of health.

FloatOn

I'm kind of tempted to jump in on this because I was a huge fan of Mercs in RE4 but I understand REvelations HD is coming out soon and that is supposed to have the better campaign and mercs. Should I wait for Revelations or is RE6 really that much worth it to a casual resident evil fan?

Riposte

I'm kind of tempted to jump in on this because I was a huge fan of Mercs in RE4 but I understand REvelations HD is coming out soon and that is supposed to have the better campaign and mercs. Should I wait for Revelations or is RE6 really that much worth it to a casual resident evil fan?

RE:R doesn't have mercs, it has raid mode. I get the feeling if you haven't gathered enough information to reach to learn that, then it is not a safe bet anyone in this thread can really help you understand why you might want this or that game.

FloatOn

RE:R doesn't have mercs, it has raid mode. I get the feeling if you haven't gathered enough information to reach to learn that, then it is not a safe bet anyone in this thread can really help you understand why you might want this or that game.

okay. As I said, I enjoyed Mercs in RE4 is it that much different in RE6? And I thought I had heard something about Raid mode for RE:R. I guess I'll have to look up the differences between the two modes. I had just assumed that Raid mode was a variation on Mercs.

but if you don't feel like fielding questions that's fine.

Riposte

okay. As I said, I enjoyed Mercs in RE4 is it that much different in RE6? And I thought I had heard something about Raid mode for RE:R. I guess I'll have to look up the differences between the two modes. I had just assumed that Raid mode was a variation on Mercs.

RE6 plays very differently than RE4 (though not so different that you can't see the relation), but the rules of Mercenaries are mostly the same. Raid mode on the other hand is more about replaying a piece of the campaign (though not in a "time attack" fashion) with a new set of monsters and collecting loot that more or less decides your "level" (i.e. you eventually one shot enemies on earlier levels, while there is no progression system like that for Mercs).

Gyrian

As expressed repeatedly in this very thread: If you've enjoyed Mercs in the past, that alone is worth the price of admission.
RE6 Mercs is hands down the best version of this addictive extra game.

If you count the main game as a cherry on top, it can taste a little bitter in parts but it is still worth having (get a coop partner).

Top Bottom