• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 PC Version |UnOT| Bros before BOWs

jediyoshi

Got my first solo full combo with ellis, was thinking I was going to hate his loadout the most. Just on rooftops though which pretty much plays itself when the chainsaw guy comes out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A4J9GddAZc

Someone needs to make a mod to replace the l4d bg music with the original :<

I was concerned (while watching the trailers) that the characters wouldn't have voice work... is that the case?

They have unique sounds. Though in mercs you're only ever hearing their grunts and thanks/praise commands

Sectus

Got my first solo full combo with ellis, was thinking I was going to hate his loadout the most. Just on rooftops though which pretty much plays itself when the chainsaw guy comes out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A4J9GddAZc

Someone needs to make a mod to replace the l4d bg music with the original :<

They have unique sounds. Though in mercs you're only ever hearing their grunts and thanks/praise commands

I played with a friend who's familiar with L4D and he said the voice clips are straight from L4D, and all the music is as well.

I have to say I despise the witch music. It sounds like a 3 second loop repeating over and over.

jediyoshi

I played with a friend who's familiar with L4D and he said the voice clips are straight from L4D, and all the music is as well.

Oh definitely, I just mean unique in that since someone like Rochelle is plopped on top of Sherry's move set, she's not also just using Sherry's sounds.

Riposte

L4D music is a downgrade from usual Mercs music. Not much of a surprise, I guess. The builds look interesting to me. Ellis seems to have two snipers? lol weird.

Also G-Fex's "my final verdict" thread is one of the worst written and formatted game impressions I've ever seen on GAF. Just long-winded, nondescript rambling with everything amounting to "x is whatever, y is whatever". Be kind and give a pity bump if you want (I guess it could be a more even ground to discuss the game post PC release, since it seems this place only houses positive impressions).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Also G-Fex's "my final verdict" thread is one of the worst written and formatted game impressions I've ever seen on GAF. Just long-winded, nondescript rambling with everything amounting to "x is whatever, y is whatever". Be kind and give a pity bump if you want (I guess it could be a more even ground to discuss the game post PC release, since it seems this place only houses positive impressions).

Seems like the kind thing would be to let it quietly wither away and be forgotten.

Gyrian

Seems like the kind thing would be to let it quietly wither away and be forgotten.

I almost replied to it, then decided not to spend the effort.

He essentially dislikes every single thing about the game, which he breaks down to extensive lengths. There's really nowhere to go from there.
He missed out on a lot of the game's strengths (not even a mention of Mercs, for example), but the sour impression he's walked out with probably wouldn't leave him open to it anyway.

It is hard to argue that RE6 doesn't make a shaky first impression, that was even true for me despite being a huge fan of the series.
Seems to be a Capcom problem of late, Dragon's Dogma played out exactly the same.
Ironically, those two games are some of the most fun I've had this gen.

Sectus

That's one thing which annoys me, there's so many people (and professional reviews) who ignore mercenaries. They don't mention it at all, despite it being such a vital part of the game. It would be like disregarding multiplayer in COD, or horde mode in a Gears of War game.

Riposte

The only thing extensive about it was that he felt it necessary to comment on everything and said very little beyond his vague emotion on it.

Aiming to play some No Mercy Mercs today. A little bit rusty, but I am holding my own in these duos. Wish my partners would stop dying though.

Riposte

do you get XP (for single player updates) by playing mercenaries?

You get XP by picking it up, like you would in the campaign. Generally speaking the best way to get points is to play some chapters of the campaign on No Hope. There are however crazy farming spots in specific chapters if that's where you want to take it.

That's one thing which annoys me, there's so many people (and professional reviews) who ignore mercenaries. They don't mention it at all, despite it being such a vital part of the game. It would be like disregarding multiplayer in COD, or horde mode in a Gears of War game.

The Prologue from RE6 should have been a take on Mercenaries, not the QTE-fest they gave us. Learning the controls is essential to enjoying this game. Mercs is so so fun and it's the only way off the bat to learn how to play the game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

Yeah, I get that Mercenaries is not what some people want from the series. They want a long, story-based single player experience, and that's fine.

But when evaluating RE6, it does seem pretty unfair to completely ignore something as important to the overall package as Mercenaries. It has all the good things about the campaign (mainly the fantastic combat and co-op fun) without all of the bad (QTE's, sloppy set pieces, dumb cutscenes, etc). For me, the campaign is the 'extra mode' to Mercenaries. Shit's worth the price of admission alone.

The Prologue from RE6 should have been a take on Mercenaries, not the QTE-fest they gave us. Learning the controls is essential to enjoying this game. Mercs is so so fun and it's the only way off the bat to learn how to play the game.

I've been saying that they should have released one of the first three Merc's levels as a demo, or at least part of the demo.

Riposte

Lots of disconnecting today. Wonder if it is on my end.

It is hilarious when you are disconnecting on Steel Beast just as one of the parachute J'avo is about to land. They swing around in circles like toddler.

Jawmuncher

I agree.
Mercenaries is a ton of fun, and hell can be worth the price point alone.

Is there anyone attempting to mode the music? How hard would that be for L4D Mercs? Wouldn't mind keeping the witch/tank sounds but changing the actual song.

EDIT: is there any news on when the MP modes will hit? Would love to get some GAF nights going

Riposte

It is really weird it won't allow me to be play Catacomb (which I had already unlocked before hand) in No Mercy Duo even after clearing the previous map with S rank. It says the person doesn't have it, but he must at that point.

The last time this was a problem, I went and cleared every single map with S ranks and it still wouldn't let me play the most recent map I unlocked.

Sectus

It is really weird it won't allow me to be play Catacomb (which I had already unlocked before hand) in No Mercy Duo even after clearing the previous map with S rank. It says the person doesn't have it, but he must at that point.

The last time this was a problem, I went and cleared every single map with S ranks and it still wouldn't let me play the most recent map I unlocked.

There is a bug where you're not permitted access to maps in no mercy unless your partner has them unlocked in normal mercs. It could be that problem you're running into.

Riposte

There is a bug where you're not permitted access to maps in no mercy unless your partner has them unlocked in normal mercs. It could be that problem you're running into.

Duh! I totally forgot that, even though I went through the same thing.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I have a question. If you are playing with someone in Mercs or any of the other coop modes for the first time and you want to send them a message after the session, how do you do this? I don't have a mic right now and since there's no in-game chat I have no way of saying anything like ggs or add me to friend list, etc. How do you go about making contact with a random player?

Prodigal

Banned
Once you unlock infinite ammo in campaign, do you always have that weapon on you or do you have to wait until you get it throughout the chapters?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I have a question. If you are playing with someone in Mercs or any of the other coop modes for the first time and you want to send them a message after the session, how do you do this? I don't have a mic right now and since there's no in-game chat I have no way of saying anything like ggs or add me to friend list, etc. How do you go about making contact with a random player?

In the Steam client, go to the Friends section, then click on the Recently Played With tab.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
In the Steam client, go to the Friends section, then click on the Recently Played With tab.

It says "You do not have any play history for this day."

Is there a way to expand the history to reflect past 7 days or so?

G-Fex

L4D music is a downgrade from usual Mercs music. Not much of a surprise, I guess. The builds look interesting to me. Ellis seems to have two snipers? lol weird.

Then don't read it, nor reply to it. In fact don't bring me up at all. if you don't like it so much by all means stay away, put me on ignore as well cause if anything I'd rather not any of you reply to anything I post.

Gyrian

Then don't read it, nor reply to it. In fact don't bring me up at all. if you don't like it so much by all means stay away, put me on ignore as well cause if anything I'd rather not any of you reply to anything I post.

A little thin skinned today?
Why get mad about reactions to your opinion (which is not exactly an unpopular one) when that is what you're inviting by creating a thread?

Personally, what turned me off your commentary was just how thorough your dislike was, going into exhaustive detail about how it all went to so wrong and that essentially there was nothing good to salvage.
It wasn't worth replying to because there was nowhere to go from there. With that premise, no one's going to talk you into taking another look or finding some high points in RE6.

Riposte

I did stay away (though I had to come to that conclusion after reading) and only lament you didn't feel like this was a good place to voice your impressions. I actively want people to voice criticisms here to avoid it from being a place where people who like the game discuss it.

Archon473

Sectus, I just watched your Creature Workshop and Rooftop Solo No Mercy runs and I can't buy those maps fast enough. I'm not allowing myself to play them until I A rank the default maps, though.

Model swap, seems like its making progress. Here
Can't progress though :/.

itdbKQoNAhPPu.png

ibthVNs6KQ2XNS.png

Soon, I can play as Agent solo.

Gyrian

The funniest things that keeps happening to me in laggy Mercs matches:

dogaFFE.png

Getting chomped by a headless Zombie!

TGMIII

Quick question regarding content and DLC. As far as I'm aware the PC port of RE5 had none of the extra content/DLC that the console version got. Is this the same with RE6 PC or does it include everything the console versions have such as EX3 costumes etc.

ArjanN

Quick question regarding content and DLC. As far as I'm aware the PC port of RE5 had none of the extra content/DLC that the console version got. Is this the same with RE6 PC or does it include everything the console versions have such as EX3 costumes etc.

Some of the DLC isn't out yet, but as far as I know RE6 PC has everything the console version has and more. (No Mercy mode/the Left for Dead stuff)

Jawmuncher

Why is Nick's medkit so low-res? I haven't edited Coach yet, but Nick and Rochelle's textures for it are the same as the L4D2 files. Nick's is mysteriously tiny, and you can definitely tell the difference between them in-game.

:

I still haven't gone and tried to edit Sherries color.
Think i'll try it tomorrow. Hopefully it comes out good.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Catacombs on No Mercy is insane. :eek:

By the end I was completely trapped by a seemingly impassable wall of zombies, but they were so many dynamite and lantern zombies that I was able to use them them to obliterate the horde before they could close in on me. I got to 1.5 million points and the 300 kill limit with 3 minutes left on solo. Crazy.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Still on chapter 2 of Leon's campaign, but the controls make this game very frustrating to play.

It feels like there's no way to dodge the guys who just leap at you. Do I just have to time the dodge command right? Right now it feels like every time I lose health, it's from the game being excessively cheap and not because I made a mistake.

Still on chapter 2 of Leon's campaign, but the controls make this game very frustrating to play.

It feels like there's no way to dodge the guys who just leap at you. Do I just have to time the dodge command right? Right now it feels like every time I lose health, it's from the game being excessively cheap and not because I made a mistake.

You can roll or jump backwards to land on your back.
The game is growing on me, Leon's campaign is decent, I just wish this game wasn't such a QTE fest.
Oh, and Sherry is hot.

Riposte

What you want to do is notice when they get ready to leap, then dodge as they become airborne. Alternatively, you can master the counter for it and push attack just as they are about to hit you.

So I bought RE6 PC and I decided to do a run on Leon's campaign. Well, what a terrible start is was. The introduction was a QTE fest, and when I finally got to start playing the screen was so dark that it took out all the fun. Seriously, half the time I had trouble to see what was going on the TV (tv-out from PC), even with the brightness upped. The shaky cam effects did not help either.

Not only that, but the game feels like it is dragging. Seriously, I am at chapter 2 and the first chapter felt like an eternity. Now I understand the average reviews this game got because It is a corridor shooter on-rails. I dont know how the rest of the campaigns looked, but in RE4 you atleast got to areas where you could explore freely.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
What you want to do is notice when they get ready to leap, then dodge as they become airborne. Alternatively, you can master the counter for it and push attack just as they are about to hit you.

Bloodshot's diving attacks can also be interrupted if you shoot them in mid-air. They're not so bad once you get used to them, but there are some times where I get pounced from questionable distances, maybe lag is to blame though.

ArjanN

I found it helped a LOT to play a bunch of mercenaries mode first, so you have a much better handle on the controls.

Top Bottom