• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 PC Version |UnOT| Bros before BOWs

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I haven't hit out of memory a second time.

It's either Crossfire, multi-monitors, 120 Hz, or a race condition.

i'm on the chris campaign now, games a ton of fun so far, i don't understand the butthurt it recieved.

It's a B+ experience for me. I imagine no QTE assist + cheap deaths + long load times would easily drag this down to a D. Maybe that's what happened on consoles.

I'm surprised by how long it seems to be. It thought it was going to be 6 hours, but seems morel like a 15 hour game.

Animator

i'm on the chris campaign now, games a ton of fun so far, i don't understand the butthurt it recieved.

I believe it was because of the default fov on consoles which was horrible before they let you adjust it.

The game itself is pretty much the best bang for the buck I have seen in a while.

Adam Blue

Another out of memory victim here.

It's without a doubt an RE6 problem. Steam forums seem to have a lot of complaints, though I'm sure success with the game out weighs them.

Since my latest build, I've played the entirety of many, many PC games with no problems.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone going mouse/keyboard for the controls in this? It definitely makes aiming a ton easier from what I played last night, but how is the button placement for all of the other controls?

flippeh

Something is wrong with your set up.

There may be another program you are running that causes instability (FRAPS does for example).

I have a 7970 and have played over 5 hours locked at 60fps at max settings and my processor is a 4 year old i920.

Possible, but I doubt it's my setup :(

I'm not running afterburner, fraps or any other kind of overlay. At first I thought it was just a bad driver install so I reinstalled, issues persist. Other stuff I'm playing like Crysis 3, TR and BF3 all run and perform fine.

Oh well, I will just wait and see if patches help.

Valnen

Anyone going mouse/keyboard for the controls in this? It definitely makes aiming a ton easier from what I played last night, but how is the button placement for all of the other controls?

I'm finding the default keybinds awkward compared to RE5. Would be nice if I could somehow configure them to be more like RE5.

Sectus

What sorts of unlocks are we talking about, here?

I mentioned this briefly on a previous page, but I'll repeat here:

- All mercs maps are unlocked by playing mercs. You start with urban chaos, steel beast and mining the depths, and you unlock the other 7 maps by just completing stages. You unlock Helena, Piers and Sherry by completing the 3 base maps.

- I think Ada has to be unlocked by completing the Ada campaign. I haven't found a way to unlock her via mercs.

- If you have a censored copy (German copy. I don't know if this applies to other countries), you can't access mercs at all until you beat all campaigns. In addition, No Mercy is available as free DLC rather than being part of the core game.

Adam Blue

I got it working in windowed mode. As soon as I selected the PC Settings option, the game crashed with Out of Memory. It's RE6. No one worry about changing settings just for the sole purpose of this game. There should be a fix soon.

derFeef

Is there a way to turn off the 'next door' icon? Turning off the hud removes everything.

I actually have turned the HUD off completely as everything is still pretty much contextualized. And you can bring up your hud temporarily by hitting the LB button to see where to go (if there is a doubt).

- If you have a censored copy (German copy. I don't know if this applies to other countries), you can't access mercs at all until you beat all campaigns. In addition, No Mercy is available as free DLC rather than being part of the core game.

BINGO. So I take it my copy is definitely censored then. No wonder I can't access Mercs yet.

Dang it, I guess I'll bumrush through the campaigns on Amateur mode 1st time around to unlock Mercs Mode.

Campaigns are actually quite fun. I just tried out/finished the 1st chapter of each campaign so far (except Ada's which I'm leaving for last) and I've got to say that I like Leon's the best so far.

Leon's campaign has a nice and slow start, which lets you get used to the controls and the various maneuvers in the game, great plot, pacing and some mystery to the proceedings. Helena's not bad to use at all.

Chris was just totally the dudebro campaign in chapter 1 itself lol, might as well call that Call of Biohazard. Too much testosterone there. Fucking Army of Two.

While Jake's seems to have the weakest start yet, too many Micheal Bay 'splosions. Using Sherry Birkin helps ease the pain though. Damn it Sectus, get that fine ass costume mod for her working in the campaign mate!

I mentioned this briefly on a previous page, but I'll repeat here:

- I think Ada has to be unlocked by completing the Ada campaign. I haven't found a way to unlock her via mercs.
This seems like the only campaign-specific one that you posted. The guy I quoted made it seem like there was more stuff to be unlocked only by doing campaign, which didn't make sense to me since I'm used to Merc stuff being unlocked in... well, Mercenaries mode.

Speaking of Mercs, how many alternate costumes do the characters have?

teh_pwn

I just beat the Leon campaign. Played...8 hours? And that's 1 of 4 campaigns? Am I playing really slow or is this game really that long?

LOL "Saving game, please don't turn off your computer." Well if you insist...

nbthedude

Another out of memory victim here.

It's without a doubt an RE6 problem. Steam forums seem to have a lot of complaints, though I'm sure success with the game out weighs them.

Since my latest build, I've played the entirety of many, many PC games with no problems.

I'm not sure how you can say it is "without a doubt" a RE6 problem since I have played the game with 3 separate friends, each time for several hours and none of us have encountered this problem even with the same videocards people are posting here.

nbthedude

I have 3 friends that picked up the game and I'm playing one campaign with each.

I was actually worried about Chris's campaign because I heard people complaining about it but so far, two chapters in, it's fantastic. I really like the drastic change of feel and pace between Leon and Chris' campaigns. It feels like I'm almost playing two different games.

I dunno, maybe the game becomes a train wreck later on, but right now, I'm kind of bummed this game got the reception it did because I would totally be down with this direction for the series. It's probably the most fun I've had co-op in a very, very long time.

teh_pwn

I'm not sure how you can say it is "without a doubt" a RE6 problem since I have played the game with 3 separate friends, each time for several hours and none of us have encountered this problem even with the same videocards people are posting here.

Yeah, it's likely a corner case. Specific driver, specific settings sort of thing. I encountered it in the Leon Campaign in chapter 2, and even after restarting the game there were serious performance issues. I mean going from 120 fps with little hiccup to 5 fps. I resolved it by disabling crossfire, disconnecting my second monitor, restarting my PC. The second monitor or crossfire may not matter, or both do. I never narrowed it down. But after doing that I completed Leon's campaign without a repeat.

It may be useful if people reported how they worked around it, what their setup is, and have the OP summarize it.

Adam Blue

If users experienced the same problem in multiple games, then it would be an issue outside the game. But since reports indicate issues with this game alone, then there was a lack of optimization in certain aspects of the game which Capcom will address in a patch.

This is very common in the PC world. There's no reason a gamer should have to change settings for one specific game.

Just because it worked for you and your friends doesn't mean it's not RE6. Again, we've encountered this tons of times in the history of PC gaming. If you are interested in helping us out, why don't you get us the full system specs for each PC? I'm sure that, along with details from other users, can help Capcom troubleshoot the problem.

Otherwise, you offer nothing else to help.

nbthedude

If users experienced the same problem in multiple games, then it would be an issue outside the game. But since reports indicate issues with this game alone, then there was a lack of optimization in certain aspects of the game which Capcom will address in a patch.

This is very common in the PC world. There's no reason a gamer should have to change settings for one specific game.

Just because it worked for you and your friends doesn't mean it's not RE6. Again, we've encountered this tons of times in the history of PC gaming. If you are interested in helping us out, why don't you get us the full system specs for each PC? I'm sure that, along with details from other users, can help Capcom troubleshoot the problem.

Otherwise, you offer nothing else to help.

I'm not trying to start an argument with you. I hope you guys figure out what is causing the issue. My only point was you can't definitively say it is just the game itself because if that were true it would be a universal issue for people with that hardware. It clearly is not. It doesn't even seem to be the majority.

Neff

I believe it was because of the default fov on consoles which was horrible before they let you adjust it.

The perspective on the console versions is fine, people just wanted to kick Capcom in the balls repeatedly at the time.

Gyrian

I just beat the Leon campaign. Played...8 hours? And that's 1 of 4 campaigns? Am I playing really slow or is this game really that long?

The three main campaigns are fairly long, Ada's is a bit shorter.
There's a pretty ridiculous amount of content in RE6, it's a shame it generally made such a bad first impression.

Not much luck with Mercs Duo so far, haven't seen a whole lot players in the MP modes.
I'm thinking most are making their way through the campaign first. Might as well go ahead and get Ada unlocked.

nbthedude

The perspective on the console versions is fine, people just wanted to kick Capcom in the balls repeatedly at the time.

I'm pretty perplexed. Like I said, maybe the game becomes a trainwreck later, but I was seriously worried it was going to be poop and I just wasted a ton of money. But two chapters into each campaign I'm having a lot of fun. The first 20 minutes or so kind of sucked (prologue and first 10-15 minutes of Leon's campaign) but other than that, it has been great for me as a fan of RE4 and RE5.

I guess if you don't like RE5, I can understand not liking this, but I"m pretty confused how anybody who liked that game can think this is terrible by comparison.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm pretty perplexed. Like I said, maybe the game becomes a trainwreck later, but I was seriously worried it was going to be poop and I just wasted a ton of money. But two chapters into each campaign I'm having a lot of fun. The first 20 minutes or so kind of sucked (prologue and first 10-15 minutes of Leon's campaign) but other than that, it has been great for me as a fan of RE4 and RE5.

I guess if you don't like RE5, I can understand not liking this, but I"m pretty confused how anybody who liked that game can think this is terrible by comparison.

Yea I'm really genuinely perplexed on this one. I mean loads of people were listing it as their absolute worst game of the generation on this forum. I just don't see it. Seems like RE5 without inventory tetris and I loved me some RE5.

Gyrian

Yea I'm really genuinely perplexed on this one. I mean loads of people were listing it as their absolute worst game of the generation on this forum. I just don't see it. Seems like RE5 without inventory tetris and I loved me some RE5.

That's the bad first impression I'm talking about.
People wrote it off as a wreck on sight, missing out on most of what it had to offer.
If it hasn't turned you off by now, chances are you're going to enjoy it even more as you go along.

Neff

I'm pretty perplexed. Like I said, maybe the game becomes a trainwreck later, but I was seriously worried it was going to be poop and I just wasted a ton of money. But two chapters into each campaign I'm having a lot of fun.

It's essentially RE4/5 with a ton of new features. Some cheap deaths first time through, and it's not a forgiving, hand-holding experience by any means, but that's about the extent of its problems imo. If you ask me, it starts great and just gets better and better.

I've spent some time thinking about why people dislike RE6 so intensely, often without really explaining adequately why. My favourite theories are:

1) Dislike of Capcom was at its peak after the SFxT/DmC/MML3 controversies, and RE6 is Capcom's biggest, most expensive target.

2) people complained that RE5 was too action-oriented, and instead of going back to the perceived ideals of horror gaming, RE6 jumped wholeheartedly into action movie territory, apparently eschewing horror completely (which I don't agree with- for me, RE6 has enough horror motifs to pass as RE). Pleas for mansions, creaky doors and mere handfuls of bullets were ignored by an evil commerce-hungry corporation, and gamers were spurned as a result.

3) People are crap at RE6, and are too impatient or lack the skill to become good at it.

While I'm sure these points are valid concerns for some, they don't in any way stop RE6 being a great game. Which it is.

nbthedude

That's the bad first impression I'm talking about.
People wrote it off as a wreck on sight, missing out on most of what it had to offer.
If it hasn't turned you off by now, chances are you're going to enjoy it even more as you go along.

But what was the "bad first impression"? The Prologue? Yeah it was lame but so is the tutorial stuff in most games. It was also all of 10 minutes long.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I think my friend said this best about the game as he observed us playig while he was playing Marvel.

"I have been watching ya'll play for 5 hours now and the entire time has been like the third act of an action movie."

legacyzero

Banned
RE6 is not as bad as some of you say. Leons campaign is good.

That and Ada.

It's hard to agree with you though, as even Leon's campaign quality is a fraction of what it could, and has been (RE4 for example.)

They could have removed the Chris and Jake campaign, and put a stronger focus on Leon, while making the other said characters PART of the story, or rather cut to them as playable character here and there throughout the game. Three separate campaigns (if you dont count Ada) is just too much, and it forces the game to lose focus, and lack any real objective.

nbthedude

I think my friend said this best about the game as he observed us playig while he was playing Marvel.

"I have been watching ya'll play for 5 hours now and the entire time has been like the third act of an action movie."

The game is definitely over the top and ridiculious but this is Resident Evil, not Sient Hill. Even in its early days the series had action movie aspirations. How many suspense/horror experiences feature rocket launchers and a race after a denotator counter sequence like RE 1 did?

It knows it is a videogame. It wears it on its sleeve. And really, this series always has. That stiff, goofy thumbs up animation people were parading around from the Connan O'Brien video is part of the fun. The comic exageration in the animations see clearly intentional. The tone doesnt even really seemed to have changed that much to me, really. The ante was just continually upped in game after game.

3) People are crap at RE6, and are too impatient or lack the skill to become good at it.

While I'm sure these points are valid concerns for some, they don't in any way stop RE6 being a great game. Which it is.

I agree with this. I started off playing like absolute shit and getting pissed off with the combat system which I thought was clunky and unworkable. I was trying to play this game like a duck and cover based shooter (ala Gears, Binary Domain etc), and that is NOT how you're supposed to play RE6.

Until I read the online manual on Capcom's site. The game became a much more pleasant and enjoyable experience after that.

Fuck it, why weren't all those advanced actions and maneuvers explained in game? The prelude does a piss poor job in doing that.

nbthedude

That and Ada.

It's hard to agree with you though, as even Leon's campaign quality is a fraction of what it could, and has been (RE4 for example.)

They could have removed the Chris and Jake campaign, and put a stronger focus on Leon, while making the other said characters PART of the story, or rather cut to them as playable character here and there throughout the game. Three separate campaigns (if you dont count Ada) is just too much, and it forces the game to lose focus, and lack any real objective.

Dd you play coop or single player?

I think this may be part of the difference, actually.

As a coop experience, Chris and Jake's campaigns are a blast.

Hellix

For Leon's campaign, it looks like you get stuck in an infinite loading screen after
you beat Simmons and the elevator explodes going up the tower.

That and Ada.

I had more fun playing Chris' and Jake's campaign in co-op than Leon's campaign.

nbthedude

For Leon's campaign, it looks like you get stuck in an infinite loading screen after
you beat Simmons and the elevator explodes going up the tower.

I am not that far, so I didnt read the spoiler, but people have finished Leon's campaign on PC already.

Jawmuncher

I love when people talk about the campaigns since the favorites are always so different.
Personally I felt leon and Ada had the weakest while Chris and Jakes (aside from jakes craptastic level 2) were the best campaigns.

For me I guess it's because I preferred the action which I thought it did well over the were gonna try and be scary here in Leon's and Adas.

Neff

I was trying to play this game like a duck and cover based shooter (ala Gears, Binary Domain etc), and that is NOT how you're supposed to play RE6.

Certainly not in its entirety, no. But I can think of many locations where cover is legit. It's all to do with the enemy behaviour, basically. If there's a ton of enemies dug in like ticks and hosing you with ballistics, you'd be an idiot to leave that handy sandbag pile. But if they're about to rush you, you'd better get your charge/melee/dodge/counter game on. That the circumstances change so frequently, coupled with the variety of the level design (which is an overlooked plus for the game imo), is what makes RE6 such a rewarding experience when played well.

The game is definitely over the top and ridiculious but this is Resident Evil, not Sient Hill. Even in its early days the series had action movie aspirations. How many suspense/horror experiences feature rocket launchers and a race after a denotator counter sequence like RE 1 did?

It knows it is a videogame. It wears it on its sleeve. And really, this series always has. That stiff, goofy thumbs up animation people were parading around from the Connan Obrien video is part of the fun. The comic exageration in the animations see clearly intentional. The tone doesnt even really seemed to habe changed that much to me, really. The ante was just continually upped in game after game.

Perfectly put.

It knows it is a videogame. It wears it on its sleeve. And really, this series always has. That stiff, goofy thumbs up animation people were parading around from the Connan Obrien video is part of the fun. The comic exageration in the animations see clearly intentional. The tone doesnt even really seemed to habe changed that much to me, really. The ante was just continually upped in game after game.

I'm fine with the tone and ridiculousness, I just want the series to bring back the focus it had on the slower paced puzzle solving elements. I'm not sure why it has to be either all action or no action; the older games knew this and felt more like a thinking man's game to me. It was easier for me to respect that and even enjoy it more than what happened starting with RE4.

derFeef

So when is it safe to exit the game? I quit because of the framerate troubles and now I need to redo a whole section even though I hit a checkpoint before I quit.

nbthedude

I'm fine with the tone and ridiculousness, I just want the series to bring back the focus it had on the slower paced puzzle solving elements. I'm not sure why it has to be either all action or no action; the older games knew this and felt more like a thinking man's game to me. It was easier for me to respect that and even enjoy it more than what happened starting with RE4.

Well, it isn't that I minded the slower paced "puzzle" elements, but let's be honest here, calling the old RE games "thinking man's games" is quite the hyperbole. This wasn't Space Chem. The puzzle were mostly incredibly rudimentary "find the square shaped key that fits in this hole" variety. Or "find the combination of levers/keys/buttons that open this passage. Honestly, they were mostly just bad rip offs of Alone in the Dark.

Actually, so far it seems like Leon's campaign has that stuff just like the older games. You just aren't backtracking around a giant mansion to figure out where to impliment stuff.

I get that people liked the (slightly more) open ended exploration. The old RE games were never that open ended in terms of where you could go next, but they did let you wonder around and explore more than the later entries that is for sure.

But the trade off is these really cool set pieces and if you ask me if I think the ability to backtrack more and wander around a few extra rooms is worth that trade off, I would say absolutely. Especially if you have co-op in your game. You want to keep a certain pacing up.

I know some people would say there are plenty of action games with big set pieces like that. But the thing I always appreciated about RE's combat starting with 4 is that it had a more deliberate, slower pace to it's action. And that is still true with RE6. Even though you can move a tiny bit while aiming, you can't go running around circle strafing and back pedaling while shooting or using the tactics you employ in every other third person/first person shooter. You have to pick your shots carefully, do inventory management on the fly, pay careful attention to your positioning with enemies because you can't just go jumping and circling them like some kind of mad ninja with a machine gun like in 99% of action games.

Personally, I also love the way they made co-op an integral part of the game starting with 5. I mean, most co-op games are generic loot grinds or FPS games at best. But here you have a real crafted action adventure game with fantastic set pieces that you can enjoy with a friend. That's pretty awesome. I'd take it over Borderlands or Diablo any day and I like both of those games because the co-operative play and the set pieces in RE series make it feel like you are really experiencing something with another person rather than just hanging out in a glorified voice chat like most co-op games.

Top Bottom