• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 PC Version |UnOT| Bros before BOWs

legacyzero

Banned
Dd you play coop or single player?

I think this may be part of the difference, actually.

As a coop experience, Chris and Jake's campaigns are a blast.

For Leon's campaign, it looks like you get stuck in an infinite loading screen after
you beat Simmons and the elevator explodes going up the tower.

I had more fun playing Chris' and Jake's campaign in co-op than Leon's campaign.

Buuut then again I'm totally AGAINST Co-Op in Resident Evil anyway :p

Except in separate modes like Onslaught.

Well, it isn't that I minded the slower paced "puzzle" elements, but let's be honest here, calling the old RE games "thinking man's games" is quite the hyperbole. This wasn't Space Chem. The puzzle were mostly incredibly rudimentary "find the square shaped key that fits in this hole" variety. Or "find the combination of levers/keys/buttons that open this passage. Honestly, they were mostly just bad rip offs of Alone in the Dark.

Okay but I still liked it and that's how I thought of the series for the longest time. I enjoyed trying to figure out where shit is and where shit goes and where I need to be going, and I thought it was always intense having the zombies and such there to impede your traversal through these isolated, claustrophobic settings as you're trying to find your way. Sometimes this was punctuated by action which made those scenes feel exciting and fresh when they did come because it felt like sort of the exhale that accompanies the long bouts of being lost and trying to figure out what to do. I'm not saying that the puzzles were super clever or inventive, but they existed to get you lost and turned around in the environments and the intensity came from trying to figure out where to go before running out of health and ammo. Now there's nothing to think about, nothing to consider -- which is why I said "thinking man's game." They certainly were compared to what we have now.

I'm fine with the series getting better in the gameplay and visuals, but I'm just saying that I don't think that they should have to throw those elements that people largely associated with the series out the window in order to do this.

nbthedude

Okay but I still liked it and that's how I thought of the series for the longest time. I enjoyed trying to figure out where shit is and where shit goes and where I need to be going, and I thought it was always intense having the zombies and such there to impede your traversal through these isolated, claustrophobic settings as you're trying to find your way. Sometimes this was punctuated by action which made those scenes feel exciting and fresh when they did come because it felt like sort of the exhale that accompanies the long bouts of being lost and trying to figure out what to do. I'm not saying that the puzzles were super clever or inventive, but they existed to get you lost and turned around in the environments and the intensity came from trying to figure out where to go before running out of health and ammo. Now there's nothing to think about, nothing to consider -- which is why I said "thinking man's game." They certainly were compared to what we have now.

I'm fine with the series getting better in the gameplay and visuals, but I'm just saying that I don't think that they should have to throw those elements that people largely associated with the series out the window in order to do this.

I wouldn't hate to see them go back to to the basics with a traditional more open, solo based game. But I would hate it if it meant we no longer got any more of this modern RE style of game. But I think you are doing modern RE games a great disservice to say there is "nothing to think about, nothing to consider." I think the combat in these games is some of the best in the way that it does demand you to think much more than most third and first person shooters. And there are still puzzle elements (especially in Leon's campaign), they just aren't drawn out as much. The only real difference is you don't have to go make a 20 minute trek across a map of enemies to "solve" the puzzle or use the key. I get that there is something lost in that type of journey (I'm a big Dark Souls fan, for example), but it's not like the series has become a mindless shooter like every other shooter. It is still very unique.

Maybe the should just split the series off into two (good) sets of franchises to cater to those two audiences. Just please don't give us another Operation: Raccoon City. Now that crap was terrible and generic and lacked the style or tone of either classic or modern RE games.

I wouldn't hate to see them go back to to the basics with a traditional more open, solo based game. But I would hate it if it meant we no longer got any more of this modern RE style of game.

Yeah. I like the new elements, I think the gameplay is fun and I have no problems with the amount of action. I just don't like how that's all there is to it now, they just feel less "satisfying" to me because I feel like I can just blow right through them without having to stop and contemplate anything which makes it hard for me to succumb to the atmosphere.

nbthedude

Yeah. I like the new elements, I think the gameplay is fun and I have no problems with the amount of action. I just don't like how that's all there is to it now, they just feel less "satisfying" to me because I feel like I can just blow right through them without having to stop and contemplate anything which makes it hard for me to succumb to the atmosphere.

That's a good point for sure. And the more I think about it, I think there might be a middle ground that is being lost. But then again I kind of wonder if it wouldn't just lead to many people complaining about having to back track half way across a map to solve a puzzle. Because that is essentially what has been lost: the traversal/exploration element when you find a key or a tool for a puzzle.

The second chapter of Leon's campaign, for example, definitely has that stuff it just isn't as spread out, so it doesn't drive the pace to a complete hault.

Gyrian

But what was the "bad first impression"? The Prologue? Yeah it was lame but so is the tutorial stuff in most games. It was also all of 10 minutes long.

Not just the prologue. Most people also go from there straight into Leon's campaign, which starts very slowly with lots of forced walks, pauses, now infamous QTEs (like the police cruiser), cheap first time deaths, etc. It's by this point that most make up their minds on how badly RE6 went. Even the demos released ahead of the final game were pretty bad with this.

As if all that wasn't enough, the game also does a fantastically poor job of explaining its mechanics and what's possible. One glance at a Mercs video can be very eye-opening.

nbthedude

Not just the prologue. Most people also go from there straight into Leon's campaign, which starts very slowly with lots of forced walks, pauses, now infamous QTEs (like the police cruiser), cheap first time deaths, etc. It's by this point that most make up their minds on how badly RE6 went. Even the demos released ahead of the final game were pretty bad with this.

As if all that wasn't enough, the game also does a fantastically poor job of explaining its mechanics and what's possible. One glance at a Mercs video can be very eye-opening.

I guess I can see that. The first 20 minutes or so of Leon's campaign are kind of slow with not much to do besides QTEs between a few small fights.

But then stuff gets crazy once you get out on the streets and then again when you get to the gunshop.

The second chapter of Leon's campaign, for example, definitely has that stuff it just isn't as spread out, so it doesn't drive the pace to a complete hault.

Yeah, RE6 had like... fleeting moments of it. Maybe after the backlash they'll do something about it, who knows. The games are still good and fun, they're just not what I really wanted personally speaking -- but that's just my opinion and I'm some precious entitled gamer that should always get his way. I think it's good that they've made gameplay progress, I'd just like to see more to them, more to the atmosphere.

Gyrian

You know, for a game that tries so hard to do so much, it's pretty interesting how there's no real consensus on which campaign is best/strongest.
My favorite is somewhere between Leon/Helena and Ada.

BTW, Capcom really did a fantastic job with the real-time cutscenes.
They are even more impressive with the usual PC upgrades.

nbthedude

You know, for a game that tries so hard to do so much, it's pretty interesting how there's no real consensus on which campaign is best/strongest.
My favorite is somewhere between Leon/Helena and Ada.

BTW, Capcom really did a fantastic job with the real-time cutscenes.
They are even more impressive with the usual PC upgrades.

When I started Chris's campaign I was kind of dreading it because it seemed to be the one that I seemed to recall having the most bile spewed at it. Since I am playing one campaign with each friend, I was kind of worried that my brother, whom I'm playing Chris campaign with, would be turned off by the game if his only encounter was the "worst" of the three.

But so far we are loving it. It probably is the best one to be playing co-op with him too since he's not big on horror type games but loves shooters.

derFeef

Wow the chapters are long in this game - I probably will never finish this game as a whole.
Chapter 1 with 5 deaths on normal. I am bad I know ;)

nbthedude

Wow the chapters are long in this game - I probably will never finish this game as a whole.
Chapter 1 with 5 deaths on normal. I am bad I know ;)

I had 3 or 4 in chapter one and I was playing co-op, so don't feel bad.

But I my defense, I was playing around with the dive/roll mechanic a lot just for fun. :)

It feels good playing RE6 again. It doesn't deserve all of the press negativity.

Agreed. I mean I think it deserves some and I can bitch all day and night about how I think it's poor as a Resident Evil game (and god knows I have and still do), but just as a game in general it's solid as hell, a lot of fun, and loaded with content. It's easily worth the price. Looking back I do think it was criticized unfairly, and by myself even.

nbthedude

Agreed. I mean I think it deserves some and I can bitch all day and night about how I think it's poor as a Resident Evil game (and god knows I have and still do), but just as a game in general it's solid as hell, a lot of fun, and loaded with content. It's easily worth the price. Looking back I do think it was criticized unfairly, and by myself even.

What does that even mean, though "poor as a RE game"? I mean, series evolve, or in my opinion at least they should. Part of the problem of a game like Resident Evil Zero was that they just kept doing the same thing.

Do people say that Symphony of the Night isn't a "good Castlevania" game because it is now largely an action RPG with free roaming explorations?

KePoW

Banned
It feels good playing RE6 again. It doesn't deserve all of the press negativity.

I've only played Chris chapter 1 and in chapter 2 now, but surprisingly I like the game so far. I stayed away from the console release because of the negative comments.

But it's fun and I actually like the action-oriented design the series is taking. Moving and shooting is a hell of a lot better than previous games, that's for sure. And being an upgraded PC port with M+KB doesn't hurt.

Will check back in when I play some more.

Aeana

I finished Leon's campaign earlier and I really liked it. I wondered why the heck people were so down on the game, because it seemed to return the series closer to what people were asking for from RE to begin with. But I just did chapters 1 and 2 of Chris's campaign and absolutely despised them. Now I feel like I'm playing a squad shooter.

What does that even mean, though "poor as a RE game"? I mean, series evolve, or in my opinion at least they should. Part of the problem of a game like Resident Evil Zero was that they just kept doing the same thing.

Do people say that Symphony of the Night isn't a "good Castlevania" game because it is now largely an action RPG with free roaming explorations?

I guess it's too subjective to talk about really. Not that I mind talking about it, but due to perspective and opinions about what things "are," it's sketchy. I didn't like the direction RE4 went in -- I didn't mind the change in gameplay or emphasis on action but it wasn't very "RE" to me and that's what I also mean about RE6. Frankly my problems with the last three main RE games are quite similar: they don't remind me of what I used to like about the series.

While the new Tomb Raider is popular and getting good reviews and selling well, some people felt like it wasn't a true Tomb Raider game because of the focus on action and that's how I feel about the new RE games. It has nothing to do with changing the series -- something can change and add new elements and still feel like it belongs to the established franchise. Zelda went 3D and had fresh new gameplay and a new combat system but it still felt like Zelda because of its structure, its focus on puzzle solving and dungeon traversal and bosses and items and such all remained intact so Ocarina felt like a natural evolution. It didn't piss on everything that came before, it took what came before and evolved it. I do not feel that this happened with RE.

Animator

I finished Leon's campaign earlier and I really liked it. I wondered why the heck people were so down on the game, because it seemed to return the series closer to what people were asking for from RE to begin with. But I just did chapters 1 and 2 of Chris's campaign and absolutely despised them. Now I feel like I'm playing a squad shooter.

Yea I was down on the game because Chris's early chapters are utter shit. It gets much better later on though. There is a boss fight that is one of the best I have seen.

And now you know where the hate comes from.

I'd like the next mainline RE to have more puzzle solving moments that were present in the Leon/Helena campaign. I just finished it myself and I feel like this campaign is the closest in spirit to the older RE games. Slower pace, more moments for reflection and exposition. Great cutscenes. Best balance of the elements that makes RE great when compared with the other campaigns so far.

Chris's campaign should be spun into its own shooter game. That crap doesn't belong in a RE game. They went full blown shoot bang COD/Army of Two with that campaign. Perhaps when I'm done with this campaign I'll have better things to say about it, but for the classic RE lover (1-3), this is the most out of place campaign in an RE game. Going on to Chapter 3 now, sigh. Still trucking to finish them to unlock Mercs.

nbthedude

And now you know where the hate comes from.

I'd like the next mainline RE to have more puzzle solving moments that were present in the Leon/Helena campaign. I just finished it myself and I feel like this campaign is the closest in spirit to the older RE games. Slower pace, more moments for reflection and exposition. Great cutscenes. Best balance of the elements that makes RE great when compared with the other campaigns so far.

Chris's campaign should be spun into its own shooter game. That crap doesn't belong in a RE game. They went full blown shoot bang COD/Army of Two with that campaign. Perhaps when I'm done with this campaign I'll have better things to say about it, but for the classic RE lover (1-3), this is the most out of place campaign in an RE game. Going on to Chapter 3 now, sigh. Still trucking to finish them to unlock Mercs.

So, don't play Chris's campaign? They essentially gave you 3 games for the price of one. I love classic RE and new RE. I'm glad I can play both in this game.

derFeef

So I play Helena in Leons campaign - does she have the same moves as him, and is there different dialogue depending who you play?

ArjanN

I think all the movement options you have make it feel very different than your basic squad shooter.

Jawmuncher

Still say Chris has the best Campaign especially later on it really picks up. Leon's I felt just dragged on until the last 2 levels.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

My problem with Leons campaign is that the last chapter went on for far too long. I mean how often do you need to fight the final boss ? Also, don't get me started on the climb the rope nonsense. It's probably the biggest blight on that campaign and actually soured me a bit on it. I really liked Chris' campaign overall but I think it's more that all the campaigns have awesome bits and some really dodgy parts too. Well apart from Adas, I don't recall disliking much about her campaign and hence why it's my favourite of the lot.

I'll be very interested in what you make of the other campaigns overall :)

Riposte

Chris campaign is the best, but I understand why people dislike the first two chapters. The last two chapters are easily the best in the game though, with maybe Jake 3 challenging it.

So when is it safe to exit the game? I quit because of the framerate troubles and now I need to redo a whole section even though I hit a checkpoint before I quit.

When it says "Saving..." with a typewriter (RE still has those! lol) that means you hit a new stage of the game and it is safe to quit.

So, don't play Chris's campaign? They essentially gave you 3 games for the price of one. I love classic RE and new RE. I'm glad I can play both in this game.

I have to lol, my version of RE 6 requires all campaigns to be completed to unlock dat Mercenaries Mode and No Mercy. Thought it was a bug, but apparently it holds true for the censored versions released on Steam.

Just doing it on Amateur to lessen the pain.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
So I play Helena in Leons campaign - does she have the same moves as him, and is there different dialogue depending who you play?

Some of the side chatter is contextually changed to reflect which character is accomplishing the actions, and there is some unique animations that will play out depending on the character i.e.
Sherry childishly pecks at a piano, but Jake will masterfully play a set if he is the player.
All of the storyline related dialogue/cut scenes are the same.

Each character has slightly different animations/moves for the actions but are largely the same to play beyond the aesthetics. But there are different weapon loadouts (and some characters have drastically different melee mechanics) for the characters.

It's a travesty we didn't get tesselation support for extra gribbly bits on the monsters, they're crying out for it.

RE6 PC port is probably the wierdest MT Framework port yet, it's a regression of sorts.

DMC4 and Lost Planet came out with friggin DX10 support 5+ years ago out of the box, and all subsequent MT Framework games released for the PC game came with upgraded support (Lost Planet 2 had DX11 support).

Heck the predecessor to this game (Resident Evil 5) had DX10 support, cleaner textures and superior performance, for crying out loud. You could see that they put quite a bit of work into this port in some areas but didn't even bother in others.

DX11 tesselation should've been a given.

EDIT:- Here's a short list of MT Framework games released on the PC with DX support.

Lost Planet (CAPCOM's first foray into DX10 with NVIDIA's TWIMTBP program): DX9/DX10

Devil May Cry 4: DX9/DX10 (also had NVIDIA's TWIMTBP support, best performing PC port)

Resident Evil 5: DX9/DX10 (also had NVIDIA's TWIMTBP support)

Lost Planet 2: DX9/DX11(No DX10 fallback, only had DX9 and DX11 executables, also had NVIDIA's TWIMTBP support)

Resident Evil 6: DX9 only (! The first game not have NVIDIA's explicit backing, none of their logos adorn the intro screen)

(SSFIVAE,SFxTK,Dead Rising 2, Dead Rising 2:OTR, and DmC don't count as they don't use the MT Framework engine)

Some stuff i learned from playing Mercenaries on consoles is that pretty much every character has some sort of special ability or weapon. Most of the characters have a weapon with them that they will do a unique animation from the doing the quickshots

Leon- Have both handguns out and start doing quickshots with about 4 enemies around you and you will do some cool animations of him shooting

Helena- same as Leon but have her shotgun out. she will do flips n stuff

Ada- have her bow out and do a quickshot she will do a backflip and shoot an arrow at the same time. The enemy will get stuck to the ground from the arrow

Chris- do a quickshot with the knife and he will do some knife motions he normally doesn't do if you aim and slash.

Piers- doesn't have one as far as i have seen, im guessing the power of that sniper he carries they didn't want to give him one.

Sherry- The electric rod thing is her special. Doing quickshot while standing or running will allow her to do a twirl thing into a quick hit that will stun the enemy then just charge it for an instant kill on reg enemies

Jake- doesn't have one as his melee is his special ability. If you knock enemies down go up to their legs and an icon should come out. Do it and Jake will do a giant swing type move

DSmalls84

Does voice chat work if you use a 360 controller? Also do you enable voice chat in the Steam options? I usually only ever use Skype but I am getting some randoms dropping in my games.

Stitch

Gold Member

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I'm pretty perplexed. Like I said, maybe the game becomes a trainwreck later

It doesnt by the way if you already like Leon and Chris's campaigns you'll love Jakes and Ada's is a bit more puzzle based but barely and just as fun as the others.

The only real problems RE6 has are the shoddy textures and the qte's, honestly though I found the RE6 qte's more forgiving and easier to do than the RE5 ones.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just started Leon's campaign after that mediocre prologue.

Man... I don't think I can deal with these textures. They are seriously some of the worst I have ever seen.

I may have to move my computer back to the living room for this so I can play it on my TV. Sitting so close to my monitor is making this such an ugly mess.

Minion101

Banned
Just finished chapter 1 of Leon. I'm liking it sooo much better then the shotty frame rate demo I played on console. God I love the PC.

Just finished Leon's campaign and I have to say it wasn't anywhere close to being as bad as I thought It'd be. A lot of moments made it feel closer to the old RE and I even loved some of the over the top moments
dat leon-ada scene toward the end ;_;
. It really makes me feel confused as to why this received such low review scores. Holding RE to a higher standard maybe?

If there's one thing that I think this game would have benefited from though is not being split into 3 different campaigns. It makes everything feel disjointed and not as focused.

Neiteio

I actually like Chris' campaign best. Yeah, it starts out all "GIT TO DA CHOPPER, WE AT WAR" but it actually has some really tense bits later on, and once you see the entirety of his campaign and know how it all pans out, you appreciate his action-packed first two chapters for their variety.

There's something here for everyone. Really neat game, and addictive mechanics once you get the hang of them. If it weren't for three new games coming out this week that I've been eagerly anticipating (downloading Luigi's Mansion 2 right now, then BioShock Infinite on Tues, and HarmoKnight on Thurs), then I'd probably be tempted to get this for PC, even though I already have it on PS3. :)

GSR

It runs better than benchmark? : (

Extremely. The benchmark was essentially unplayable on my laptop, the full game is choppy but perfectly serviceable.

On my desktop it's 60FPS/1080p with settings maxed, and I've got nowhere near a top-of-the-line rig.

Anyways, with regards to the game itself, I've only played Chris Chapter 1 and while it's taking me a while to get used to the controls I'm warming up to it. My only big complaint is that I wish the character was focused a bit closer to the side of the screen when not aiming, it's actually kind of distracting having them 1/3rd across the screen rather than far left or center.

Manu

I actually like Chris' campaign best. Yeah, it starts out all "GIT TO DA CHOPPER, WE AT WAR" but it actually has some really tense bits later on, and once you see the entirety of his campaign and know how it all pans out, you appreciate his action-packed first two chapters for their variety.

Chris also has the best final boss battle.
HAOS is one scary mofo.

cvxfreak

Is this possible? I always thought herbs were one time pickups in those segments. The mobs have a random chance to drop ammo and certain segments seem to have endless spawning mobs.

If an item does not appear in a crate, but appears on top of a random box or on a shelf, then it's more often than not always going to be there when you go through the scenario again. This is particularly true for Herbs and First Aid Sprays.

To farm a segment for health/ammo, just finish the segment of the chapter, look for the Saving icon to appear at the start of the next segment, and then exit out. Rinse, repeat.

The best farming points each chapter are, as done in Amateur:

Jake/Sherry
Chapter 1-3: Underground Passage
Not much ammo in here, but the segment is 30 seconds long and always guarantees a a few thousand skill points, 1 Green Herb and 1 Red Herb.

Chris/Piers
Chapter 3-1: Bosawan Entrance
Just a few rooms long, but there's a First Aid Spray in the last room before the next segment, and a Green Herb in the outside area after going through the gate, but before entering the building.

Chapter 3-2: Bosawan Courtyard
Another great area with tons of Grenade Launcher ammo, a First Aid Spray and almost always, two Green Herbs among the crates in the lower area.

Leon/Helena
Chapter 3-1: Airplane
It starts off with a boss fight, but there's always Magnum Ammo in the cockpit. There are 4 Green Herbs scattered throughout the plane, as well as a First Aid Spray in the cargo bay.

Chairhome

Is Onslaught messed up for anyone else? It immediately tells me it can't find any games to connect to. Or maybe just nobody is playing it? :-(

Top Bottom