• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City |OT| A New Chanllenge by CAPCPOM & SLANT SIX

Carbonox

The story is hilariously bad, at least it's non-canon, though that doesn't really make much of a difference in its quality. :lol

I think this will be the first time ever where I don't buy a brand new Resident Evil title on a home console. :O

Amalthea

Banned
Then they're told to collect a Nemesis Parasite from a Tyrant and implant it in the Nemesis to reprogram him, which results in them having to fight Mr. X and then they have to fight and immobilize Nemesis who simply wields a RailGun and walks around slowly doing nothing more than shooting it and smacking you with it if you get close. Upon being reprogrammed he simply drops the RailGun and picks up the rocket launcher, says "STARS" and moves on.

Upon reading this sentence I pick up my middle-finger and say "Fuck you Capcom!" and move on.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The story is hilariously bad, at least it's non-canon, though that doesn't really make much of a difference in its quality. :lol

I think this will be the first time ever where I don't buy a brand new Resident Evil title on a home console. :O

At least it isn't Outbreak, in consolation prizes right? I mean, when this bombs (and I'm sure it will...) Capcom will go "well, shit, people don't want a shitty done Socom. They want Outbreak! *makes an Outbreak instead of outsourcing to shitty developers!*"

At least it isn't Outbreak, in consolation prizes right? I mean, when this bombs (and I'm sure it will...) Capcom will go "well, shit, people don't want a shitty done Socom. They want Outbreak! *makes an Outbreak instead of outsourcing to shitty developers!*"

One could only pray. It still kinda pisses me off Capcom doesn't do anything with the cool Outbreak characters. I get so angry when in all the new games they cut to some reporter giving some speech about something and it's NOT Alyssa. Such an easy cameo GAWD DAMN!

Anyway....

Just give me an online enabled Outbreak 1&2 HD Vita release and a new one for HD consoles please thx bye.

I will say however no matter how lazy and shitty this game ends up it won't even compare to the laziness and quick cash in as Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I will say however no matter how lazy and shitty this game ends up it won't even compare to the laziness and quick cash in as Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D.

At least that was done in house and isn't buggy as hell, surely?

At least that was done in house and isn't buggy as hell, surely?

True as far as I know, but the RE fan in me was more angered at the potential of that game from what we got to my expectations from this and what we are getting.

Interviewer: Why is Leon not in Mercenaries 3D? He is the main character of RE4 which this game is based off of?

Capcom: Leon is too busy staring in the upcoming Operations Raccoon City game. All of Leons fans can expect him there.

NEVER FORGET

d0c_zaius

damn does no one else have this for the 360 in the US right now:(

been sitting on the matchmaking screen for 30 mins.

I played through half of the first sequence, and I was compelled to continue even with the dumb AI, but I don't want to play any more without real people since that's what this was designed for.

In a goofy b-movie kinda way the game is enjoyable so far.

Defunkled

No matter how mediocre this game looks, I can't help but be interested in it. Maybe it's the fact that it's set in Raccoon City? Maybe the Resident Evil fanboy in me can't resist. My urge to give this game a try is inexplicable.

Anyone know if this has split-screen?
Only on the PS3 version.
Then they're told to collect a Nemesis Parasite from a Tyrant and implant it in the Nemesis to reprogram him, which results in them having to fight Mr. X and then they have to fight and immobilize Nemesis who simply wields a RailGun and walks around slowly doing nothing more than shooting it and smacking you with it if you get close. Upon being reprogrammed he simply drops the RailGun and picks up the rocket launcher, says "STARS" and moves on.

Upon reading this sentence I pick up my middle-finger and say "Fuck you Capcom!" and move on.
What the hell is that? Is that part of the story for ORC?

o_o

Beth Cyra

Any rumors of Character DlC?

I don't care how low it's rated or how much it would be, if they add Chris to the game I will pick up a 360 Copy.

Characters in the game just aren't my cup of tea.

Mr_Zombie

Wow, the story really makes no sense at all. And if a hospital mentioned in the summary is the hospital from RE3, wouldn't that completely contradict the timeline? (as if the writer of the story even cared)

And don't get me even started on Nemesis :| It's hilarious to read the interview with Kawamura - RE3 writer, where he details the entire backstory, along with the origin of Nemesis' name, only to later learn that someone responsible for ORC just went "fuck this, we will just reprogram him to seek STARS people".

About that... remember when Capcom made RE: Survivor and thought "well, shit, people don't want a shitty done fps RE" when the games scores were really low? Yeah, they totally didn't do Survivor 2, Dino Stalker and Dead Aim after that :(.

Any rumors of Character DlC?

I don't care how low it's rated or how much it would be, if they add Chris to the game I will pick up a 360 Copy.

Characters in the game just aren't my cup of tea.

Well the story clearly doesn't matter so why not just let players play as Leon. At least it would make the ending of the game funny.
Should Leon kill himself?

Beth Cyra

Well the story clearly doesn't matter so why not just let players play as Leon. At least it would make the ending of the game funny.
Should Leon kill himself?

Not really meaning for story really. Just a dlc option to use Chris in a mode similar to Nemesis mode.

I have zero interest in the story of the game and just want to play it because I like certain RE characters.

d0c_zaius

well the only person that joined my game after 20 mins of matchmaking decided it would be cool to skip all the cutscenes.

Despite that, playing co-op was fun.

JaxJag

Banned
People complaining about a bad story in a Resident Evil game? I'm confused, I thought that was a part of the franchise.

Oh lawd the game literally ends with
Leon being saved or killed
nice way to spoil the game by putting it to the FIRST GODDAMN TRAILER

ilMikhail

I got it , the game is fun , but is just a bad clone of Gears of War , the cover system is awful , cant wait to see the IGN Review lol

JaxJag

Banned
I have a few questions about the game for those who have it.

In the videos Operations Raccoon City obviously plays nothing like any Resident Evil game. So is there anything out there that it does play like? To me it looks a little like SOCOM, so i'm curious.

Also, how is the co-op? Is teamwork required? How's the character progression stuff? Just perks? or is it more like Syndicate with an actual skill tree?

d0c_zaius

Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City Mini-Review

-feels like a b-movie game, which can be good or bad depending on what you are in the mood for. This means that you see funny bugs and a general lack of polish: enemies floating in the air, collision feeling funky, graphics dropping out or popping in. There was also occasional screen tearing but nothing too distracting.

-controls are stiff and sometimes goofy. You take cover by just walking into and out of flat surfaces, so it can feel unreliable and inconsistent. There's no way to roll or move rapidly other than the typical sprint, so strafing like a robot is your only evasive option. There are some cool aspects though: like the running tackle/dive to prone, and the melee finishers.

-along the lines of the b-movie feel, I like the cheesy playable characters, the dialogue and the overall approach to the game so far. Having just finished with Mass Effect 3 , its nice to play something unrefined and basic, kinda like when you get a craving for a Big Mac. It's also cool to play thorough the original RE premise with the idea of being the badguy. But make no mistake this is not on the level of most third person shooters.

-the campaign is designed for 4 players, each picking a different type of character with different abilities. Nothing to out of the box here, but its nice to play this type of game within the RE world. The last thing that was close was RE: Outbreak and I thought that was a mess. While the ways to level up the characters aren't exciting, it's interesting so far to see how they apply when used in a group. Almost like a diet RPG with a tank, medic, recon, assault and stealth characters, but all using guns while fighting zombies.

-I can't speak much on the weapons other than those that have played Socom: Confrontation know how they feel: light and lifeless. However this could just be from using the starter guns as I haven't unlocked anything else. The melee attacks also feel like they have no impact, and sometimes even just shooting an enemy directly for 5 seconds straight illicits no reaction from AI. But then again this goes back to the b-movie feel of the game.

Overall I think its a C game that might have the charm and compelling goofyness to find a home with an audience of RE fans (at least those that can get beyond the story changes and such). I don't think it should be sold for 60$ but hardcore RE fans and those jonesing for a co-op/competitive game with friends will probably get enough enjoyment to warrant the price. Oh and I havent played vs. yet just coop.

kunonabi

-feels like a b-movie game, which can be good or bad depending on what you are in the mood for. This means that you see funny bugs and a general lack of polish: enemies floating in the air, collision feeling funky, graphics dropping out or popping in. There was also occasional screen tearing but nothing too distracting.

-controls are stiff and sometimes goofy. You take cover by just walking into and out of flat surfaces, so it can feel unreliable and inconsistent. There's no way to roll or move rapidly other than the typical sprint, so strafing like a robot is your only evasive option. There are some cool aspects though: like the running tackle/dive to prone, and the melee finishers.

-along the lines of the b-movie feel, I like the cheesy playable characters, the dialogue and the overall approach to the game so far. Having just finished with Mass Effect 3 , its nice to play something unrefined and basic, kinda like when you get a craving for a Big Mac. It's also cool to play thorough the original RE premise with the idea of being the badguy. But make no mistake this is not on the level of most third person shooters.

-the campaign is designed for 4 players, each picking a different type of character with different abilities. Nothing to out of the box here, but its nice to play this type of game within the RE world. The last thing that was close was RE: Outbreak and I thought that was a mess. While the ways to level up the characters aren't exciting, it's interesting so far to see how they apply when used in a group. Almost like a diet RPG with a tank, medic, recon, assault and stealth characters, but all using guns while fighting zombies.

-I can't speak much on the weapons other than those that have played Socom: Confrontation know how they feel: light and lifeless. However this could just be from using the starter guns as I haven't unlocked anything else. The melee attacks also feel like they have no impact, and sometimes even just shooting an enemy directly for 5 seconds straight illicits no reaction from AI. But then again this goes back to the b-movie feel of the game.

Overall I think its a C game that might have the charm and compelling goofyness to find a home with an audience of RE fans (at least those that can get beyond the story changes and such). I don't think it should be sold for 60$ but hardcore RE fans and those jonesing for a co-op/competitive game with friends will probably get enough enjoyment to warrant the price. Oh and I havent played vs. yet just coop.

Sounds terrible and nowhere near Outbreak's league.

d0c_zaius

Sounds terrible and nowhere near Outbreak's league.

I didn't get into Outbreak, I wanted to though. I never found good people to play with unfortunately. I'm pretty sure that people know what to expect from the socom: confrontation team making an RE game.

But so far it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Lerozz

Thanks for the impressions. Can you say anything about the total playtime of the campaign ? Because if it's something about 6 hours or even less then I guess I'll dodge this game until it drops pricewise and, who knows, might grab the 2 Kane & Lynch's for me and my GF instead. Just looking for some fun coop action.

Jackpot

Banned
People might want to remind themselves of this IGN preview that absolutely slated it. A game has to be really bad for IGN not to give it a tongue-bath whilst in development.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1217640p1.html

In theory it should work, but based on the game's first four missions, Slant Six fails to get critical details right. From a single-player perspective, the three USS members accompanying you are utterly moronic. They'll engage in combat, but fail to competently operate with any sort of intellect let alone strategy. They'll run in front of your guns in the middle of a firefight, frequently fail to heal themselves (or you) with the plentiful herbs and first aid kits strewn throughout levels, run into the middle of overwhelming odds and even walk straight across trip mines so blatant they might as well have neon signs hanging above them. Making matters worse - you have no ability to control or direct your allies, making them a liability in every possible way.

The issues don't stop there. Brace yourself for more problems no matter how you're playing the game or who you're playing it with. As stupid as your AI partners are, the AI enemies can often be worse - even accounting that a good half of them are zombies. The special forces that oppose you might as well be the undead the way they fail to secure cover, blatantly ignore your presence in the heat of battle and primarily serve as ways to expend your ammunition. In fact, combat more or less feels like you're fighting wooden stumps that simply challenge how much ammunition can be conserved as you move from Point A to Point B.

Slant Six resorts to some ridiculously cheap tactics in design, including humans that absorb far too much punishment, lame fetch quests that spawn dozens of enemies, and clumsy scenarios that point cameras in the wrong direction when your objective is actually behind you. Poor hit detection is an issue. Your characters move too slowly for an action game that has few strategic elements. The "snap-to" cover system works for the most part, unless you're trying to just look at something, in which case taking cover in an empty room seems ridiculous.

Granted, this is based off the first four levels, and granted, the game manages to progressively improve as the missions move onward. But a game this flawed has warning signs all over it. Going back to Raccoon City just might be as dangerous for players as it is for the security service tasked with cleaning it up.

Daigoro

opinion invalidated.

Top Bottom