• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City |OT| A New Chanllenge by CAPCPOM & SLANT SIX

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Then they're told to collect a Nemesis Parasite from a Tyrant and implant it in the Nemesis to reprogram him, which results in them having to fight Mr. X and then they have to fight and immobilize Nemesis who simply wields a RailGun and walks around slowly doing nothing more than shooting it and smacking you with it if you get close. Upon being reprogrammed he simply drops the RailGun and picks up the rocket launcher, says "STARS" and moves on.

Upon reading this sentence I pick up my middle-finger and say "Fuck you Capcom!" and move on.

KuGsj.gif
Holy crap.

G-Fex

Even though it isn't Cannon, I'm really surprised at the laziness taken by SS/Capcom.

I wish I was wrong earlier about this being bad.

d0c_zaius

opinion invalidated.

I don't see why that is necessary. Here is my reason again for you:

I didn't get into Outbreak, I wanted to though. I never found good people to play with unfortunately.

If you don't have good people to play with, it can be a mess. And there are questionable design decisions (that I probably could overlook if I had a regular group to play with) . I can understand appreciating a game based on nostalgia but not everyone has to share it. By comparison, I loved PSO (another early generation online co-op game) but I can still recognize it's faults. I'm glad you liked it though and I have friends that played it at work everyday on lunch breaks, so I know it has a following.

Agreed. Outbreak was amazing. I will love it, always and forever.

I already explained why, although I kinda knew that some people would just take offense at me not liking my experience with Outbreak (thisisneogaf.jpg). These days people just look for the first reason to blindly support one thing and hate on another. I'm sorry I didn't find RE Outbreak fun. No one I played with used teamwork, communication or even just played the game properly. For me it was frustrating even though I was excited for the premise. I also wasnt a fan of breakable weapons, unlimited spawning zombies and using items...but this isnt an Outbreak Lttp.

But the opinion invalidated nonsense? I'm sure we can be more mature than that....right? We could go through games you two have played until I disagree with your opinion on something and I can invalidate your perspective too. But would that accomplish? I posted my impressions for people interesting in checking out the game despite the obvious shortcomings (and knowing that its a socom team game with an RE gimmick), take it for that or just ignore it.

Thanks for the impressions. Can you say anything about the total playtime of the campaign ? Because if it's something about 6 hours or even less then I guess I'll dodge this game until it drops pricewise and, who knows, might grab the 2 Kane & Lynch's for me and my GF instead. Just looking for some fun coop action.

I can't say the total as I only played through 3 missions last night (felt like 2-3 hours of gameplay so far) so I'm not sure it will last longer than 6 hours. There is vs and coop, plus Nemesis mode coming if you are on 360. There are also achievements for beating the campaign with S ranks each mission as well as per difficulty, if you are into that thing. I still have yet to try competitive though. Unless you are really needing a coop experience with friends right now who are going to play the game, or are into everything RE, I would wait for a price drop or rent it, especially if you aren't playing it with 4 people.

Resident Evil Outbreak File 1 / 2 were awesome.

Somehow existant youtube video of: Me, cvxfreak, and defensor playing Outbreak file 2, 6 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok0g37OdaQI

mindblown, this was on very hard apparently.

looks like fun. unfortunately that wasn't how I experienced Outbreak.

Any rumors of Character DlC?

I don't care how low it's rated or how much it would be, if they add Chris to the game I will pick up a 360 Copy.

Characters in the game just aren't my cup of tea.

Im still hoping for S.T.A.R.S. vs Nemesis DLC
that picks someone random to be Nemesis his health regenerates but only has 1 life, STARS can respawn.
Adds Chris, Barry, Rebecca, maybe Brad and STARS Jill for a 4 or 5 vs 1 match.

d0c_zaius

From what I've seen this game looks more like gears of war and less like RE.

To a certain extent it is: cover based shooting against enemies that are ammo sponges, without the polish or graphical awe of course.

But GoW has no differences between characters (classes), or faction vs faction with zombies running around.

jam287

Banned
looks like fun. unfortunately that wasn't how I experienced Outbreak.
I played Outbreak File 1 and 2 a lot and it was always with random online strangers and I had the time of my life. Some games had people that were idiots but talking out strategy in the lobby before the game started usually made everything OK. If they would make a 3rd Outbreak game with voice chat and more than a handful of scenarios I would easily pay $100 for it.

ilMikhail

Just finished the campaign .... the game is awful , melee combat , AI , story , everything is shit

RE The Mercernaries 3D is like a masterpiece after playing RE ORC , if you want a real Resident Evil game , go and buy RE Revelations

-PXG-

I may rent this just to see how bad it was.

It looked shitty the moment they announced it. I just recently learned that Slant 6 was behind this. Oh yeah, this is sure to be awful.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
About that... remember when Capcom made RE: Survivor and thought "well, shit, people don't want a shitty done fps RE" when the games scores were really low? Yeah, they totally didn't do Survivor 2, Dino Stalker and Dead Aim after that :(.

Hey, Gun Survivor wasn't bad and could've been better with Gun Con support in the US like it originally had.

And Dead Aim wasn't bad, don't knock it.

I am starting to feel ashamed to be buying this knowing how bad it is going to be.

Cancel your pre-order. BAIL OUT. As fast as you can.

Just finished the campaign .... the game is awful , melee combat , AI , story , everything is shit

RE The Mercernaries 3D is like a masterpiece after playing RE ORC , if you want a real Resident Evil game , go and buy RE Revelations

Yeah I kinda figured this game was going to be bad...it doesn't even have splitscreen so I can only watch my friend sludge through this.

Can't wait for RE6

Calmine

Damn, its not sounding good. I thought when I first heard about this and was going be made by Socom dev's I thought Zipper Interactive. Not the petty PSP version dev's.

Also shopto has the PC version been listed as being out at same time as console folk is this true?

Damn, its not sounding good. I thought when I first heard about this and was going be made by Socom dev's I thought Zipper Interactive. Not the petty PSP version dev's.

Also shopto has the PC version been listed as being out at same time as console folk is this true?

not the PSP ones only, also did Confrontation.

TheSeks

not the PSP ones only, also did Confrontation.

I'm hoping like some of us he went into shock therapy and *BZZZZZT* What's Confrontation? *BZZZT BZZZT BZZZT* Is it time for Biohazard 6 yet?

Also Outbreak is clunky, but it's 20x more a multiplayer Biohazard than this shit. If they refined the system it would be the best multiplayer zombie game, I feel.

Calmine

Perhaps we've got to the point now where Bug fixes and Patches can be sold as DLC. I remember when patches did include new maps or content so I'm half right.

TheSeks

Perhaps we've got to the point now where Bug fixes and Patches can be sold as DLC. I remember when patches did include new maps or content so I'm half right.

>Implying Slant Sux will fix their broken game.
>Implying Socom: Constipation is fixed two+ years later
>Laughingelfman.jpg

Sorry, had to do it.

Davey Cakes

I hope this game tanks hard. Anything to make Capcom less enthusiastic about making spinoff RE games and more enthusiastic about making more Revelations-type ones.

Bollocks

I don't get the hate for this game, I for one look forward to it because it is set in Raccoon City and thus is more true to the classic PSX RE than the current gen ones. That alone warrants a purchase for me. Also I look forward to the coop, as did I with RE5. It was a blast playing with a friend. Sure it looks different than a traditional RE but it's a spinoff after all, nothing wrong with it in my book.

Davey Cakes

I don't get the hate for this game, I for one look forward to it because it is set in Raccoon City and thus is more true to the classic PSX RE than the current gen ones.
It's true to the old games in no ways other than setting and character use. Almost everything about ORC is non-canon.

At least the newer games don't, y'know, make it the fucking objective to kill our beloved protagonists.

TheSeks

You really didn't, some things shouldn't leave 4chan.

Cry more.

Rash said:
It's true to the old games in no ways other than setting and character use. Almost everything about ORC is non-canon.

At least the newer games don't, y'know, make it the fucking objective to kill our beloved protagonists.

And don't use a shitty games shitty engine for a modification with zombies.

News Bot

Banned
Operation Raccoon City was mostly a rush-job, and is simply a continuation of CAPCOM's inability to make a quality spin-off. The only real spin-off in the series with competent gameplay is Dead Aim, which is quite fun, but still nowhere near the quality of the main games.

What I don't get is why they can't make good spin-offs. What is holding them back? Production values? A more inexperienced team? Time?

It also doesn't help that CAPCOM's outsourcing decisions generally seem misguided and foolish. Going for small development companies with very little of a reputation seems to be a money-saving technique more than anything, or just a horrible mistake due to their "they're Western, so they're special and will automatically be great!" view.

d0c_zaius

ok some final impressions from completing the story:

-its short. With no deaths you could probably go through the game in 5 hours on normal without exploring for items and stuff.

-the graphic quality gets worse as you get in the later areas of the game, with screen tearing becoming more of an issue sometimes and overall graphic bug quirkyness increasing

-once I got used to melee and taking zombies hostage, the close range combat game became more fun. It becomes quite necessary to use melee with how ammo gets spent so quickly in this game.

-the constant babying of ammo is definitely annoying. I dont like having to depend on unlimited ammo boxes, especially when some area dont even have them and you are forced to use your pistol for long periods of time. Likewise buying a high end gun to find out it has half the ammo as a starting gun is lame.

-I did have fun sometimes playing in a group of 4 tearing up hunters and lickers. The boss fights and fights against the generic mercs are boring. In fact I only had fun fighting the creatures and at the very end of the game.

Pinbot

Banned
Aw, confusion! Have pre-ordered the game but now think I should cancel it. I'm a RE fangirl but if it's really, really, bad, I should save my money.

I mean, is it in the same league as crap like Rogue Warrior and Damnation?

Ken

Aw, confusion! Have pre-ordered the game but now think I should cancel it. I'm a RE fangirl but if it's really, really, bad, I should save my money.

Rogue Warrior was awesome in a terrible way. ORC just looks like a poorly done and generic TPS.

Although, it sounds like it's most fun online and I'd imagine if you wanted to get in on that you'd have to pick up the game close to release.

I really want to get this but I expect it to drop in price pretty fast. Looks like a fun game to play through on a lazy weekend afternoon though.

Rouge Warrior was at least "so bad it is almost good"

From what I have seen, this really is at the Damnation's level.

Odds are this will sell well out the gate, due to the RE name, but once word of mouth kicks in, sales should drop like a rock and you could at least pick it up on the cheap then - if only to satisfy morbid curiosity.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
May 18th PC, wait for bugs to be ironed out, will be a better multiplayer experience.

Play campaign, hook up computer to PC. TADAH.

Gonna wait for a price drop. It looks fun but if it's just another "broshooter" with the RE brand on it, I'll pass. I have Revelations and REmake for my fix, anyway.

GQman2121

Banned

The over the shoulder cam third person is the worst. This is definitely a modified version of the engine they used for Socom. That right there should tell people to stay away. It's almost sad to read how many people are going to pick this up and the excuses they're using to justify it.

Also, from the games official site, as pointed out by Wario via Markman on Twitter:

This game will be $30 within the next six weeks.......

Teknoman

The over the shoulder cam third person is the worst. This is definitely a modified version of the engine they used for Socom. That right there should tell people to stay away. It's almost sad to read how many people are going to pick this up and the excuses they're using to justify it.

Also, from the games official site, as pointed out by Wario via Markman on Twitter:

This game will be $30 within the next six weeks.......

What am I supposed to be seeing?

EDIT: Oh they misspelled Raccoon in the website title. Why are the rest circled?

RobbieNick

Played 4-player co-op at Wondercon. Thought it was pretty fun. Not sold on buying it though unless it has a decent campaign. Nothing wrong with the way it plays though. I think people are just being harsh on it, unless you're really sick on them constantly going back to Raccoon City. That, I can understand.

Top Bottom