• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D |OT| Where the hell is Leon?

Kolgar

Based on that Gametrailers review, I guess I shouldn't have had nearly as much fun with the game as I did last night. And I really shouldn't be looking forward to playing it again as much as I am.

But I've been playing games for more than 30 years now, and I can overlook a few problems as long as the overall experience is fun. It seems that a lot of the disappointment with the game is not with what it is, but with what it could have been. I say screw that. This is an early effort on a new handheld and it delivers the knuckle-biting and addicting Mercenaries experience on the go, today, without having to wait until next year for a proper RE game.

Do I wish Ada was in there? Or Leon? Sure, but I like the characters they included, too. The sound isn't what I'd call high-fidelity, but it's not as bad as what I expected after reading a number of impressions. And the 3D effect is a visual treat--it simply looks great, adding an immersive layer of depth to the playfield without being distracting.

The bottom line is, it is what it is and you either have the time and money to spend on it or you don't. The entire early lineup of 3DS games has been a little light on content, save for Ghost Recon, Dead or Alive, and Zelda. Perhaps the hardcore RE and Mercenaries pros will find this game lacking; I find it a unique and compelling experience that gives me new reason to tote my 3DS around all day.

I do expect more from Capcom and other 3DS game makers in future waves of games, but I also think this is one of the more exciting releases on 3DS to date, despite its flaws.

I'm having a blast playing it, but I can see the experience wearing thin once the constant rewards stop happening. I still have some pretty difficult EX missions to get through, and I can see once I'm done with that, I'll be done with the same. The whole experience feels bizarre without playing to unlock a game-breaking item in a normal game.

The 3D is subtle but I ended up turning it off, simply because whenever you do a melee attack the camera swings around like a madman and you get quite the framerate drop.

Best part of the game is Rebecca's HILARIOUS melee moveset. I haven't quite settled on a favorite character to play as, but her animation might make her the top spot. I'm sad that Wesker/Krauser don't have their unique moves from RE4/RE5 though.

Also after that playing that Revelations demo, I DUNNO... trying to make a sense of fear in that fidelity with that engine with those blob monsters on a handheld really wasn't coming through.

Shoogoo

meltingparappa said:
Also after that playing that Revelations demo, I DUNNO... trying to make a sense of fear in that fidelity with that engine with those blob monsters on a handheld really wasn't coming through.

Dude, spoilers!

:D

kiryogi said:
Flaws aside, it's Mercenaries at the very core and that alone is great for on the go play. Currently having a great time playing it online. Sad to think this is the first semi real RE on handheld ever aside from RE Gaiden . . .
Also Resident Evil Deadly Silence on DS.

So, is the online broken?
Every time I tried to connect last night, it refused to connect to every session (saw about 5 people on last night)

IceDoesntHelp said:
So, is the online broken?
Every time I tried to connect last night, it refused to connect to every session (saw about 5 people on last night)
I was getting error messages as well, though I saw that it was working for a bunch of posters on gamefaqs if they kept trying regardless of error message.

kiryogi

Banned
Just did 4-5 coop. Absolutely relentless XD And no, no issues with the online aside from the occasional connect error. Just try reconnecting again if that pops up.

IceDoesntHelp said:
You know you can press Start to skip those, right?
GOTT IN HIMMEL...

Now if only I could skip the actual load time when I obsessively "restart" after instantly screwing up when starting a mission.

jtrov

I'm absolutely loving The Mercenaries 3D! It's pretty much what I expected, and the addition of being able to change your load-outs, and equip perks, also helps keeping it fresh in my opinion; There are a lot of combinations to try out, and I can't wait to maximize my score result. I've put many of hours into both RE 4 & 5's Merc's modes, and after playing Mercenaries 3D for three hours last night, I can tell this will be no different. Hell, just having the ability to play Mercenaries on the go is great in it's self.

So far I'm really enjoying a character whom I never really cared for in the past; that being Hunk. His finishing / melee moves are some of the best looking and damaging attacks I've seen so far. I do notice though, it seems he either takes more damage, or starts with less health. Either way, I've had some awesome and intense online sessions.

For those having trouble connecting when trying to join a match: Try hosting a match.

I couldn't connect to one game last night, but when I decided to host a room it worked fine. It took no more than a minute to get a game going, which was a lot less time than trying to join a room. Hope this helps.

If anyone wants to get some games in later, PM me your Friend Code so we can exchange and get some matches going.

Japanese wiki:

http://alphawiki.net/bhm3ds/index.php

Run it through Google Translate and it's serviceable enough to learn how to unlock skills/medals and other good info about the game.

Skills

Medals

Character info

Apparently each character and alt costume has slightly different stats for how much damage they take and how much an herb heals them.

Does anyone read Japanese? What does 装弾数が増える mean, in the context of a bonus for a handgun? And what does ハンドガンの構える速度を上げる mean?

Wow, Wesker's alt does less than one sixth the amount of healing that Rebecca's alt does.

So I don't see a set of charts for melee damage on that Japanese site. I know they were different in RE5, I'd be disappointed if they made them all the same and the only difference between characters is health/defense/"toughness" and the amount they can heal.

EatChildren said:
Still, the game is fun. So there's that.

pretty much sums up everything that needs to be said in this thread. this game has a ton of potential reasons to throw shit at it, but at the end of the day it plays really really well.

UncleSporky said:
Does anyone read Japanese? What does 装弾数が増える mean, in the context of a bonus for a handgun? And what does ハンドガンの構える速度を上げる mean?

first one is ammo round increase, second is handgun reloading speed increase.

345triangle said:
first one is ammo round increase, second is handgun reloading speed increase.
Hey thanks!

I was confused because later on it lists reloading speed separately (in the table of maximum bonuses).

構える速度を上昇させる組み合わせ (up to 150% each)

リロード速度を上げる組み合わせ (up to 60% each)

Qatar

jokkir said:
I just bought the game for 10$ (I had to use my $35 gift card from Best Buy). Hopefully I enjoy it!
I got it for $15 from Amazon after the promotional credits. but it doesn't make a difference as I'm considered that I got the game for the full price.

I hope someone sues capcom's ass for the save thing, or nintendo should do something and not allow for this to happen again.

Yuterald

This game is highly addicting. I was playing it with some buddies for hours last night. It's the ultimate "just one more try" game. Going for SS Ranks is the way to play the game. Stringing together enemies and leg shot/melee kills never gets old.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Well gentlemen,

The one good thing that I can say about this game, is that has exposed Mercenaries to a lot of gamers who otherwise would have ignored it in RE4/RE5, and new RE players who've never played it before.

Gentlemen, do you now realize how great this mode is, and why it absolutely SHITS all over every other mini game in existence?

If you're enjoying the 3DS version now, and haven't played Mercenaries on RE5, then I really really REALLY suggest you pick up RE5 on the PC because that is where Mercenaries *REALLY* shines! Perks the PC version has over the 3DS/console versions:

1)There is 4 PLAYER CO-OP FOR CHRISTS SAKES!!!!!!!

2)Graphics absolutely DESTROY the console versions....60fps, much better textures, better lighting and NONE of the slowdown that the console versions suffer from!

3)Incredible mods as well such as custom maps/stages, thanks to Sectus!

4)Mods that allow you to play as different characters not intended to be played such as the big black Majini with the gattling gun, and the fucking Reaper!!!

5)But best of all, it's now $19.99 on Steam!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Run don't walk to your PC and buy RE5 NOW!

Then proceed to send me a friend request so we can play Mercenaries CO-OP. My GFWL name is GroovyGhouliez.

That is all.

UncleSporky said:
Hey thanks!

I was confused because later on it lists reloading speed separately (in the table of maximum bonuses).

構える速度を上昇させる組み合わせ (up to 150% each)

リロード速度を上げる組み合わせ (up to 60% each)

oh well if リロード is "reload" then i was probably wrong on that one! ハンドガンの構える速度を上げる literally means "increase the speed it takes to get your handgun ready", which i took to mean reload time, but i guess it could mean the time it takes to actually aim the gun - i just didn't realise that was an actual variable skills parameter in biohazard. i mean, isn't it pretty quick in the first place?

isamu said:
Well gentlemen,

Run don't walk to your PC and buy RE5 NOW!

Then proceed to send me a friend request so we can play Mercenaries CO-OP. My GFWL name is GroovyGhouliez.

That is all.

Well that's not an annoying advertisement at all. Have you tried the 3DS version? The portability and variety of skills really helps Mercs shine.

345triangle said:
oh well if リロード is "reload" then i was probably wrong on that one! ハンドガンの構える速度を上げる literally means "increase the speed it takes to get your handgun ready", which i took to mean reload time, but i guess it could mean the time it takes to actually aim the gun - i just didn't realise that was an actual variable skills parameter in biohazard. i mean, isn't it pretty quick in the first place?

Yeah, it is pretty quick, the short time it takes to whip out and aim the gun.

I guess it's true that some weapons take a second to pull up, the bow being one of the biggest offenders. That would be nice if it gets you into laser sight view quicker.

We know it's not aiming speed, since that can be adjusted in the options menu.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Just negotiated with amazon to get my $20 credit from zelda applied to this. Excited to get the game, even if you can't reset the save. It's worth $20 to kill some zombies on my 8 minute train ride.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Even though I've read a lot of people saying that control option C is superb because you can strafe and aim with the face buttons at the same time, I just can't get used to it. I'm too used to the regular RE4 style. Though A > D, because auto-run is sweet, and I'm starting to suspect that Ridge Racer has already weakened my B button. (It's unreliable to keep it pressed down.)

Ken

UncleSporky said:
EDIT: I see Wesker is supposed to have a handgun/magnum/shotgun, that sounds like it'll be one of my favorite loadouts. Rifles are about useless...
I beat 5-5 with Claire's PSG-1 and find it great against bosses so I wouldn't say rifles are completely useless.

jokkir

Just finished playing the game for about two hours. Here's some quick impressions about what I thought about the game:

The game feels very rushed and not made for the 3DS at all. It feels like an iOS game until Capcom decided to port it over to the 3DS. From the clunky looking menu's, the cheap looking banner that's on the 3DS menu to that title screen just confirms my beliefs.

The graphics seem to be all over the place -- especially with 3D on. In some cases the game looks phenomenal and in other cases, the graphics don't seem to be that great. The bland colours in some areas don't help it too much. In ways, yes, this is comparable to RE5 but others it's a long shot. Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, this game looks like it's running sub 30fps. And It doesn't help that the enemies further back have poor animation which looks extremely odd especially when you knock an enemy down and it transitions from a smooth animation to a choppy one as they fly back.

When people were talking about the 3D being weak, they weren't kidding. This is by far the weakest 3D I've seen on the 3DS thus far and it's a shame because after seeing OoT's 3D effect, this game as a lot to be desired. The 3D looks like looking at a 3D image you took with the built-in camera. Also, I don't understand why the titles screen is just an image. When you turn the 3D slider up, the background of the title screen doesn't look like it moves back, it just turns into 3D right away. It's like when you turn an image you took on your 3DS camera from 2D to 3D.

The sound is terrible. The voices sound like they're talking through a Yak-Bak and the explosion sound very weak. The music is jamming though and I enjoy it. It pumps me up to shoot some enemies.

But with all that said, the game is pretty fun. It's what you'd expect from a Mercenaries game and it's really addicting. I have yet to try more online games and go through more missions but so far it seems like a solid arcade shooter. There's a good sense of danger when you hear a chainsaw off in the distance and it can get very hectic. The amount of enemies surprised me because after watching videos of this, it didn't seem like there would be a lot at once but I was gladly wrong.

Too bad there are so many problems that hinder this from being a better game andhe no-reset issue doesn't help it either.

If I were to give it a score, I'd probably give this around a 6-7/10. Very fun and addicting game but has loads of problems.

Edit: I forgot to say that it seems to be the same case for the Revelations demo: sub 30fps and the sound quality is bad. Hopefully they fix it before it's released.

kobashi100 said:
well after seeing the reviews I dunno what to do when this arrives tomorrow.

Open and play or send back for a refund?
Give it a try. Everyone who's played it has said that despite a few issues it's genuinely fun and addictive.

Lucentto

Banned
I finally S-SS all missions, now to play online until the end of time. Though several things:
1. Fuck Dr.Salvador, cheap bastard
2. EX missions are a pain in the ass, had to play them on duo to not get annoyed
3. Healing invincibility is too good, can dodge anything.

I love this game, fuck the haters.

Teknoman said:
Never encountered any sub 30 fps moments in the revelations demo. Is there a certain spot where it drops?
If you do a melee with 3D on and the camera whips around at a million miles an hour you'll see some crazy framerate drops. Likewise if you run through the center of the village or volcano levels with a bunch of duders slumming about.

Also, game is great, though GOD DAMN that Super Salvador.

In the Level 4 missions now and enjoying the game a bit more. The difficulty ramps up very quickly - still have to memorize all the additional time statues though. The enemies are pretty good at finding you, which is good for trying to keep combos up.

Also, this might be one of my stupid moments, didn't realize it until tonight. Once you're in the main selection screen (medals, duo, choose character..) you can just press the L button to go straight to character select and the R button to go to choose mission. It only saves one button press, but I've found it to be a better way to navigate.

basik

loving this. played 4-5 as krauser online with a random who was also kraus and we survived 15 waves for SS rank with 200 kills.

whats with the chickens? lol are they in re5? havent played that yet.

Ken

basik said:
loving this. played 4-5 as krauser online with a random who was also kraus and we survived 15 rounds for SS rank with 200 kills.

If you shoot a chicken you get a neat medal.

Chicken Hunter Portable

Teknoman

basik said:
loving this. played 4-5 as krauser online with a random who was also kraus and we survived 15 waves for SS rank with 200 kills.

4 and 5.

Ugh, was just in a session with my friend and we had a great combo going, and my 3DS battery died and my system shut down >_< My own fault since I had it in sleep mode most of the day trying to get play coins to unlock weapons.

What was weird was that we had the hardest time getting into a game together. Of course we got the regular online errors a couple of times, but once we were both on, it just would not detect his game. He was hosting an EX mission, which I haven't unlocked, so I was thinking that was it. Finally we settled on 4-1 and were able to play. What's weird about that is I thought when you played random people online you could join maps you hadn't unlocked yet, so I don't see why it would be any different playing with friends. Since there are already online problems, I'm hoping it just has to do with that, otherwise you would have to coordinate with your friends via Facebook or phone what maps you want to play, which eliminates just running into friends online and playing.

Philll

Banned
remercs.jpg

Top Bottom