• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D |OT| Where the hell is Leon?

MooMoo

jokkir said:
How do you use the commands anyway? :\
I haven't actually jumped into online coop mode, but for control mode A it should be the X button + a direction input on the D-pad. Someone else will have to confirm for me xP

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Got It Today, played some of it on the train into work got up to about Mission 3 and the mission breifing guy mentioned "training" three mission of Training ??? WTF bad form!

need to play it more to decide.. you know what the game is missing though

"What are you buying??"<--put the merchant in at least...

BTW how many levels ?? I know it has five missions

basik

MooMoo said:
I haven't actually jumped into online coop mode, but for control mode A it should be the X button + a direction input on the D-pad. Someone else will have to confirm for me xP

thats it.

basik

fuck the low reviews this game is awesome for a portable.

I got a "skill captor" medal that says I have "obtain all skills".. except I havent, there are still 12 more I dont have...wtf.

also why are the medals different colors? my medal for surviving 15 waves is shiny and looks cooler than the others.

kiryogi

Banned
Count Dookkake said:
Thanks for sticking around after my two failures.
Haha I wouldn't ever turn down a gaffer. I just had work right after that or we coulda kept playing (@ work now)

NateDrake

basik said:
fuck the low reviews this game is awesome for a portable.

I got a "skill captor" medal that says I have "obtain all skills".. except I havent, there are still 12 more I dont have...wtf.

also why are the medals different colors? my medal for surviving 15 waves is shiny and looks cooler than the others.
A gold medal = harder things, Silver = moderate challenge, Bronze = easy. Think of it like a PS3 Trophy or 360 Achievement.

Bought the game yesterday, here are some impressions:

This game really shines with co-op.

The single player is kinda repetitive, it feels like there needs to be more to it, some extra melee moves, different ways to kill enemies, something to add a little bit more variety.

The sound quality is balls, I've heard way better sound quality on other 3DS games.

Animations in this game are terrible, especially enemies in the background. Animates like an old 3D PS1 game.

30 FPS. I am disappoint. =(

The graphics are pretty nice, and the controls are carried over from the console versions. It feels like a (portion of a) console game.

If you know what you're getting into and it sounds like fun you should enjoy it, but the overall package could be better.

tenz0r

Just wanted to give my two cents on the game, after playing it the last few days.

The save thing is unfortunate, but since I am a Resident Evil whore, I couldn't resist. I am having a blast with this game, and it has definitely been worth the $35 (it was on sale at Fry's). I put a little over 4 hours into the game already, and mercenaries mode just feels great playing on a handheld. As a person who played Mercenaries religiously on RE4 and RE5, the 3DS version still played very well to it's counterpart despite being on a handheld and smaller screen.

There is no doubt Capcom dropped the ball on this though. Although it's still enjoyable, It makes me cry inside knowing all the potential that was lost with this release.

Here are some potential things that would have made this the ultimate Resident Evil fan service game in my opinion:

-It would have been awesome to have more characters from the Resident Evil universe like Leon, Ada, Sheva, Billy, Josh, Excella, Jill (Bird Mask), Carlos, Nicholai, Steve etc.

-More modes then just mercenaries, like perhaps a survival mode (without having to get the time hourglasses) where you have to fight waves and wave of enemies and bosses (like horde mode) while trying to reach the extraction point.

-A shop you access in the main menu with the Resident Evil 4 Merchant running it, where you use your points you earn in game play to buy and unlock things (like videos, music, costumes, weapons, upgrades etc)

-More locations then Resident Evil 4 / 5. I would love to see some Raccoon City, Code Veronica locations also.

Overall, I am still pleased with my purchase, but I can see where the $40 price point, lack of erasing saves will turn some away from buying it. I mean this was a "free" mini game in past Resident Evil games after all, and this might have been better packaged with Resident Evil Revelations. Speaking of Revelations, that demo was really short. I was hoping for at least 10-15 minutes, but it was literally 3 minutes if you just run to the end of the demo.

Nemesis_

Generally speaking I am pretty happy with it, but as you said, there's a few characters who are already freaking DONE and COMPLETE that could've been included in this package. Excella, Josh, Sheva, Leon and Ada are ones that come to mind.

I think all the levels from RE4 and RE5 are in, which is nice.

But yeah, considering this feels like a quick slap together of already existing assets, I don't understand why they wouldn't just add those extra five in to make the package a little bit more definitive.

And I am willing to bet now that Revelations won't have any post-game unlockables like Mercs either. =/

jufonuk

not tag worthy
tenz0r said:

I agree with what you say and it makes me cry .

boss mode would have been awesome and extraction mode and the merchant

ohh and throw in the Resi 4 Shooting challenge as well with a few more levels... ultimate Mercs game
I mean why not port Resi 4 and 5 Mercs to 3DS??

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Ken said:
I don't believe the shipyard/docks level from RE4 is in.

like the shanty town/water world style one?
I really liked that one in resi 4

EDIT:

also how many levels are used up for training?

Ken

jufonuk said:
like the shanty town/water world style one?
I really liked that one in resi 4

EDIT:

also how many levels are used up for training?

That's 4 too many.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Ken said:

That's 4 too many.

so out the 5 missions you select 4 of those are training???? fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

basik

jufonuk said:
so out the 5 missions you select 4 of those are training???? fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

no theres like 30 missions.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
jufonuk said:

To clarify, each "level" is comprised of a number of missions. Level 1 has 3 missions. Plus, there is another level of missions to unlock after finishing all the other levels.

Also, only three of the levels are training. It's still way too many IMO.

Ken

jufonuk said:
Wherever you saw "5" missions probably meant 5 chapters and each chapter has 3-5 missions each.

There's also an additional chapter after beating chapter 5.

MasterShotgun said:
Also, only three of the levels are training. It's still way too many IMO.

2-1 didn't allow combos so I couldn't really consider it a real Mercenaries mission but regardless it's still too many.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
well i am on like 3-2 or 3-3 and still training bascially the level talking about combos couldn't they keep training to like SSFIV training levels seeing as this is touted, like an arcade fighter etc they should do some of those modes like survival and training etc

(sorry on night shifts i lose the power to type)

Teknoman

tenz0r said:
Speaking of Revelations, that demo was really short. I was hoping for at least 10-15 minutes, but it was literally 3 minutes if you just run to the end of the demo.

Its best to take your time, and just try to absorb all the atmosphere the demo has. Kinda wish the...whatever those are...had better joint shot reactions. Of course its an early demo.

Ken

Finally got Claire's suit.

Ended the last EX mission at 252k with 0 ammo and found out Krauser's taunt does no damage. :[

MooMoo

Can't find anyoneee D: And I just did 4-4 with a random guy. We scored 24X,XXX. Wonder what the highest is for that level.

Icarus

The game is freaking amazing online, especially for a portable. Could really use some voice support though. That's about my only material criticism. Other than that, F the reviews.

tenz0r

Teknoman said:
Its best to take your time, and just try to absorb all the atmosphere the demo has. Kinda wish the...whatever those are...had better joint shot reactions. Of course its an early demo.

Yeah, I did take my time playing it for the first time, but I started it up again a second time to see how fast the demo would be if I just ran to where the demo ends. I was just disappointed with the length, and was hoping to get the E3 2011 demo. That demo was actually longer, and much better.

Ken

Just tried joining an online game to see how the lag was. Seemed okay so I'll be up for playing with people here.

FC: 3780-9033-8017

Do I need to add the other person's FC as well before both players can see each other or is it like the 360 where the other player will get a friend request message?

MooMoo

Ken said:
Just tried joining an online game to see how the lag was. Seemed okay so I'll be up for playing with people here.

FC: 3780-9033-8017

Do I need to add the other person's FC as well before both players can see each other or is it like the 360 where the other player will get a friend request message?
The former. It's nintendo lol

Luigiv

tenz0r said:
Just wanted to give my two cents on the game, after playing it the last few days.

The save thing is unfortunate, but since I am a Resident Evil whore, I couldn't resist. I am having a blast with this game, and it has definitely been worth the $35 (it was on sale at Fry's). I put a little over 4 hours into the game already, and mercenaries mode just feels great playing on a handheld. As a person who played Mercenaries religiously on RE4 and RE5, the 3DS version still played very well to it's counterpart despite being on a handheld and smaller screen.

There is no doubt Capcom dropped the ball on this though. Although it's still enjoyable, It makes me cry inside knowing all the potential that was lost with this release.

Here are some potential things that would have made this the ultimate Resident Evil fan service game in my opinion:

-It would have been awesome to have more characters from the Resident Evil universe like Leon, Ada, Sheva, Billy, Josh, Excella, Jill (Bird Mask), Carlos, Nicholai, Steve etc.

-More modes then just mercenaries, like perhaps a survival mode (without having to get the time hourglasses) where you have to fight waves and wave of enemies and bosses (like horde mode) while trying to reach the extraction point.

-A shop you access in the main menu with the Resident Evil 4 Merchant running it, where you use your points you earn in game play to buy and unlock things (like videos, music, costumes, weapons, upgrades etc)

-More locations then Resident Evil 4 / 5. I would love to see some Raccoon City, Code Veronica locations also.

Overall, I am still pleased with my purchase, but I can see where the $40 price point, lack of erasing saves will turn some away from buying it. I mean this was a "free" mini game in past Resident Evil games after all, and this might have been better packaged with Resident Evil Revelations. Speaking of Revelations, that demo was really short. I was hoping for at least 10-15 minutes, but it was literally 3 minutes if you just run to the end of the demo.
Also missed potential:
- L4D style VS mode. Think about it, it'd be amazing (though admittedly, implementing the mode properly would be fairly time consuming as enemies would need to be completely rebalanced as to not be broken when controlled).

kiryogi

Banned
:O count dc-ed? It's back up. Man that chainsaw guy is always a PITA. I had the hardest time clearing EX-1 for awhile playing(was partnering with kusanagi). But when we did, we were fucking boss. SS rank!

kiryogi

Banned
Should partner up sometime for it. And yeah 4-5 was fucking crazy... But so was EX-1

Count: Gonna take a break :eek: GGs.

MooMoo

Yeah. I tried 4 times. 2 of them those chainsaw guys snuck up on me. Third time we got far but the guy left >.< Fourth time the second wave glitched and the 10th guy wasn't there.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
isamu said:
Well gentlemen,

The one good thing that I can say about this game, is that has exposed Mercenaries to a lot of gamers who otherwise would have ignored it in RE4/RE5, and new RE players who've never played it before.

Gentlemen, do you now realize how great this mode is, and why it absolutely SHITS all over every other mini game in existence?

If you're enjoying the 3DS version now, and haven't played Mercenaries on RE5, then I really really REALLY suggest you pick up RE5 on the PC because that is where Mercenaries *REALLY* shines! Perks the PC version has over the 3DS/console versions:

1)There is 4 PLAYER CO-OP FOR CHRISTS SAKES!!!!!!!

2)Graphics absolutely DESTROY the console versions....60fps, much better textures, better lighting and NONE of the slowdown that the console versions suffer from!

3)Incredible mods as well such as custom maps/stages, thanks to Sectus!

4)Mods that allow you to play as different characters not intended to be played such as the big black Majini with the gattling gun, and the fucking Reaper!!!

5)But best of all, it's now $19.99 on Steam!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Run don't walk to your PC and buy RE5 NOW!

Then proceed to send me a friend request so we can play Mercenaries CO-OP. My GFWL name is GroovyGhouliez.

That is all.

UncleSporky said:
Well that's not an annoying advertisement at all.

Wasn't advertising at all. Just giving you the good to honest truth my friend :)

Kevitivity said:
Yes yes, but can you reset your save!?!?

By all means yes, yes you can.

I'll still prolly get a 3DS if I can get some extra benjies :)

I think I'm done with this game, Super Salvadore is so cheap, but at least there's that perk you can grind to prevent instant kills (or you can just spray yourself with the herb as you run through him).

Kind of a ridiculous game for its price point, but that style of gameplay is inherently so fun. It's kind of a bummer that they're splitting the "scarier" single player campaign into its own game, but I hope the next mercenaries reacts in kind by getting even more ludicrous.

If they really went all-out with this mode instead and put effort into developing it, it could be REALLY great.

More characters, more unique scenarios like 5-5, more kilohertz in the audio samples, a shop system, some bizarro nutty non-cannon story, drastically different loadouts, there's a seed of an amazing game hidden here. It's a pity that it's a quick and dirty affair with some awful drm.

Luigiv

isamu said:
Wasn't advertising at all. Just giving you the good to honest truth my friend :)

By all means yes, yes you can.

I'll still prolly get a 3DS if I can get some extra benjies :)
Yes but you forgot to mention the downside. You have to play through the shitty campaign first. Plus the balance is worse. Enemies have too much health and spawn too slow.

my problem with 4-5 is that i keep dying before the time runs out because i play too well for the time to run down :/ it's not very well-balanced!

pretty awesome fun though, it's the only mission i haven't got at least an A on (because i haven't been able to finish it)

You're not supposed to run out of time on 4-5, the intent is to survive through all 15 waves of enemies. It's not easy but it's really fun and satisfying when you succeed!

Ryuukan

This game is a blast, and I've never experienced this level of online coop on a portable before.

I can see how some people might think its not worth $40 due to it not being a full out Resident Evil game but the save reset bitching is nonsense. I guess if my intention was to binge on this for 3 days after release and resell immediately, I would be raging.

Top Bottom