• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Jubs

The turret implementation in this game is puzzling. Why isn't there a build timer for it, like in Killzone? That would go a long way into balancing it. Fights won't instantly turn into a 2vs1 if they added a build timer.

MrPliskin

Banned
The turret implementation in this game is puzzling. Why isn't there a build timer for it, like in Killzone? That would go a long way into balancing it. Fights won't instantly turn into a 2vs1 if they added a build timer.

Because no one on the QA team plays dirty, so they didn't experience this nonsense! We've been trying to champion a build timer for quite some time, but it looks like it'll never happen.

Just platinumed it yesterday after buying it about a week ago for 20 euros.

From all the SP FPSes I played this year (mostly all of them, including KZ3, Crysis 2, MW3, BF3, Hard Reset etc.) Resistance probably had one of the more satisfying SP-campaigns. I'm not talking about story here, because that felt contrived and padded with a for me personally unsatisfying ending. Graphics looked very crisp, but player movement felt a little stiff.

Gameplay wise is a different story. It's interesting to see how widespread use of regenerating health made me go back to my shooting strategies I used in games before Halo. I'd say R3 is probably the most "strategic" FPS I played this year because of the weapon mechanics and the limited health. Rambo approaches generally didn't work, which I liked. It was all about the weapons, which is what I want from an FPS. You're using EVERYTHING in your arsenal, something you don't see very often in today's shooters. Haven't touched the MP and probably never will. Not because it isn't good, but because I'm not a big fan of online modes in general (lone wolf SP-gamer here).

All in all a great effort from IG, which will probably be overlooked by many this year.

Jubs

I'm having fun with the mp, but the beta (gameplay, not technical) was better for me, when bullshit was kept to a minimum. Funny how that works - less bullshit equals more balanced, who knew?

So I've been replaying HL2 becuase the R3 campaign kept reminding me of it.

I think they (Insomniac) must be aware and they are deliberate homages. Why else would they make you meet a shotgun toting Priest* at the end of a zombie infected town section, then go into the mines. It has got to be a concious homage, right?

So here were my HL2 flashbacks whilst playing R3. (Now reinforced by the fact I'm playing HL2 again.)

Zombie town - Ravenholme
Shotgun toting Priest* - Father Grigori
Visiting mines after zombie town - Ravenholme
Prison Section - Nova Prospekt (although there are no antlions, the Mutator gun has a secondary fire that creates a smoke effect is reminiscent of the pod gas effect in HL2.)
Sniper duel in Tenaments - Follow Freeman
Rocket launcher duel with Gunship on steel bridge - Highway 17

*Edit 2 more similarities
In prison section there is a siege in the kitchen where you fight wave upon wave of enemies whilst you wait for NPC to unlock a door - There are two instances like this during Nova Prospekt
NPC opening doors for you during prison sequence - Nova Prospect again.

Resistance games always end with an assualt on the tower scenario, just like HL2. In Resistance 2, the final section you have super power hands which plays like the overpowered gravity gun during the final sequence in HL2.

The story telling style is the same as HL2, but this is a good thing to steal. You are a mainly silent protagonist that is talked at alot by other characters explaining the plot. There are lots of things to look at that give you plenty of story context.

*the priest in R3 might not actually tot a shotgun.

Himself

So I've been replaying HL2 becuase the R3 campaign kept reminding me of it.

I think they (Insomniac) must be aware and they are deliberate homages. Why else would they make you meet a shotgun toting Priest* at the end of a zombie infected town section, then go into the mines. It has got to be a concious homage, right?

So here were my HL2 flashbacks whilst playing R3. (Now reinforced by the fact I'm playing HL2 again.)

Zombie town - Ravenholme
Shotgun toting Priest* - Father Grigori
Visiting mines after zombie town - Ravenholme
Prison Section - Nova Prospekt (although there are no antlions, the Mutator gun has a secondary fire that creates a smoke effect is reminiscent of the pod gas effect in HL2.)
Sniper duel in Tenaments - Follow Freeman
Rocket launcher duel with Gunship on steel bridge - Highway 17

Resistance games always end with an assualt on the tower scenario, just like HL2. In Resistance 2, the final section you have super power hands which plays like the overpowered gravity gun during the final sequence in HL2.

The story telling style is the same as HL2, but this is a good thing to steal. You are a mainly silent protagonist that is talked at alot by other characters explaining the plot. There are lots of things to look at that give you plenty of story context.

*the priest in R3 might not actually tot a shotgun.

I've told people Resistance 3 is basically Half-Life 2, but fun.

I've told people Resistance 3 is basically Half-Life 2, but fun.

Yep, my thoughts exactly the 15 minute boat ride and 10 minute train journey were some of the most fun I've ever had!

How can HL2 possibly compete?

Oh, I forgot about the carry the bomb slowly section and then protect slow moving NPC with bomb section. This was so much fun they but them back to back. I wasn't sure I could take much more entertainment.

Himself

Yep, my thoughts exactly the 15 minute boat ride and 10 minute train journey were some of the most fun I've ever had!

Oh, I forgot about the carry the bomb slowly section and then protect slow moving NPC with bomb section. This was so much fun they but them back to back. I wasn't sure I could take much more entertainment.

Agreed.

I think that HL2 is amazing but it's not like it had parts that dragged on too, like Ravenholm and every vehicle section, especially the hovercraft part.

Emwitus

Okay, I can't seem to be able to delete Resistance 3 game data from my ps3!!!! I had same issue with all 4 one: ratchet and clank. Someone please help. What the heck is going on.

NBtoaster

Okay, I can't seem to be able to delete Resistance 3 game data from my ps3!!!! I had same issue with all 4 one: ratchet and clank. Someone please help. What the heck is going on.

I heard that it is bugged, but should eventually uninstall after half an hour or so.

Do not turn your PS3 off while it's happening or you will corrupt the data and can't delete it easily.

Sydle

Rented it and got through to chapter 11. Enjoying it quite a bit, so I'm going to trade in Uncharted 3 (did not like it) for R3.

Himself

Rented it and got through to chapter 11. Enjoying it quite a bit, so I'm going to trade in Uncharted 3 (did not like it) for R3.

I'm also one of those crazies that enjoyed R3 more than U3.

R3 just plays better and gives you way more reason to play through multiple times with leveled up weapons, various cheats, and the tougher difficulties.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Grabbed R3 for 30$ recently and I was not disappointed. It was easily my favorite entry of the series by far and the best console exclusive I played this year as well.

The color correction/post-processing was mind-blowingly good. I just wish I could have appreciated it at 1080p/60 fps/proper FOV.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I am playing this again with Move. I never replay games, but this game was just so good. This game is freaking awesome. Hopefully Insomniac decides to do 4.

Y2Kev

I just played through my favorite section, which is St. Louis through to the train level. The art here is just so superb. Maybe it's the speed at which you run through St. Louis (defending/being defended), but everything looks so detailed and fantastic. The biggest change from Resistance 1 and 2 to 3, in my opinion, is that 3 actually feels lived-in. Like you could see where people actually lived and worked, and it really grounds the game and shows you the real destruction the Chimera have caused.

There's SO MUCH crap everywhere. It's really awesome.

I would like it, JS, if you could tell us if anything changed in terms of art philosophy from 1/2 to 3. The concept art from 2 was very reminiscent of this, but it didn't translate into the game. Did you guys change artists or modelers or modeling philosophy during the production of 3? It's so different.

And awesome. This game is so replayable. I'm going for the journals. I got them all except for in the prison.

MrPliskin

Banned
I just played through my favorite section, which is St. Louis through to the train level. The art here is just so superb. Maybe it's the speed at which you run through St. Louis (defending/being defended), but everything looks so detailed and fantastic. The biggest change from Resistance 1 and 2 to 3, in my opinion, is that 3 actually feels lived-in. Like you could see where people actually lived and worked, and it really grounds the game and shows you the real destruction the Chimera have caused.

There's SO MUCH crap everywhere. It's really awesome.

I would like it, JS, if you could tell us if anything changed in terms of art philosophy from 1/2 to 3. The concept art from 2 was very reminiscent of this, but it didn't translate into the game. Did you guys change artists or modelers or modeling philosophy during the production of 3? It's so different.

And awesome. This game is so replayable. I'm going for the journals. I got them all except for in the prison.

The journals in prison are hidden really well, took me a few times to find them all, not that I mind, loved that section.

Satchel

Banned
So I bought this yesterday as it was only $39AU during the Boxing Day sales (Australia's Black Friday).

Dude.

What the fuck is up with over 1GB of updates that took literally an hour and a half to download and install?

Then the mandatory install took another 15 minutes. Thank god I wasn't actually planning on playing it last night. I did jump in just for 5 minutes or so and completed the first stage O Haven. It was actually pretty good.

Looking forward to doing the rest when I get a chance. I think I missed 2 journals on the first stage, so I might re-do that level before continuing.

MrPliskin

Banned
So I bought this yesterday as it was only $39AU during the Boxing Day sales (Australia's Black Friday).

Dude.

What the fuck is up with over 1GB of updates that took literally an hour and a half to download and install?

Then the mandatory install took another 15 minutes. Thank god I wasn't actually planning on playing it last night. I did jump in just for 5 minutes or so and completed the first stage O Haven. It was actually pretty good.

Looking forward to doing the rest when I get a chance. I think I missed 2 journals on the first stage, so I might re-do that level before continuing.

Tons of MP Content / bug fixes. I want to say there are 5 mp maps in those updates.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

Different art director. More focus on a technology level on post-processing and post-effects in general. Different vision for the game and appearance of the world than R2. Much more time to polish the art, R3 is shorter length wise and location wise and we spent more time on the game.

We also changed our whole level building approach for R3 and future games, running more of a tileset / reusable asset model. (a lot of this type of stuff is on our R&D page)

I think R2 hit its goals and was good overall, but was a much larger game with fewer resources to accomplish it. Plus it also had a lot more variation (forest, canyon, military bases, Chimeran arc, small towns, city, etc) - whereas R3 is a bit more consistent.

So a large combination of things. In many ways, I think the challenges production-wise that we faced during R2 were the reason R3 was able to be so successful. Lot of good lessons learned.

Y2Kev

What's that mean? Like objects could be reused and replaced in different environments, so you were able to fill rooms up easier?

Angelcurio

Just finished the game a couple of days ago, and i was blown away by this game. I really had it on my backlog pile of shame, but decided to give it a try since i didn't want to play one of the long games of my backlog like Dark Souls.

I will start by saying that i was extremely dissapointed with R2, which was a shame since i played the original Resistance with the Gaf clan for almost two years. I simply wanted to see the end of the Resistance series with R3, but i wasn't expecting a lot from it. The end result was a totally different experience, to put it simply, i was simply blown away by the single player campaign. The game had a nice lenght, the levels felt consistent, and the return to the health system from the original game makes R3 a more tactical game in which you have to plan every move instead of being Rambo. The story was simple, but achieved its purpose, even thought i didn't like Capelli as much as i liked Hale, and also Capelli acted like a completely different person compared with his character in R2.

Almost all my gripes with R2 were rectified in R3, like the enemy AI only attacking you in R2 and completely ignoring the other NPC's, and some instant kill bugs that the game had. The guns were really fun to play, there was a nice enemy variety, and the graphics did look really good. All in all i really think that Insomniac games did a superb job with the game, even though i'm worried with the game being buried between the big holiday hitters. I can't comment in the MP part of the game since i haven't redeemed my online code, and i am focused on obtaining the Platinum trophy, but as a short thought i must say i would have preferred the game to have supported 40 players like the original game did.

Right now, i must say that R3 it's definitely my GOTY for 2011, and definitely one of the best shooters released this generation. I really hope that fans of the franchise and shooter games in general buy it, it's a really good game.

Marco1

I agree, best game in the series and a shame imsomniac went mult-platform.
Does this mean we won't see a Resistance 4 on PS3?

Dibbz

Plus it also had a lot more variation (forest, canyon, military bases, Chimeran arc, small towns, city, etc) - whereas R3 is a bit more consistent.

Not trying to be mean but the canyon must have taken like a day to make :( The gulf between that and the forest was huge.

Grisby

I'm about to boot up the MP again and play it alongside Reach's/Anniversary's. If I only DL'd that big ass patch that was at launch what kind of file download am I looking at now? I heard there was a free map or two added as well?

MrPliskin

Banned
I'm about to boot up the MP again and play it alongside Reach's/Anniversary's. If I only DL'd that big ass patch that was at launch what kind of file download am I looking at now? I heard there was a free map or two added as well?

Probably another ~600mb. There are 5 maps in total. One 16p map, three 8p maps.

MrPliskin

Banned
Thanks bud. I figured you'd be the messiah who answered me. I just got 3, with the biggest being 406mb.

Just realized I botched the number of maps too, lol. I thought it was 5, but I'm pretty certain it's 3.

These are the new maps

Creek
Granary
Bunker

Creek is the only one that supports all game types and player counts. The patches also include all DLC skins and game modes I think.

R-RatedSuperstar- it'll probably never come if SCEA has anything to do about it. Just like we'll never see R3 avatars.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
What's that mean? Like objects could be reused and replaced in different environments, so you were able to fill rooms up easier?

more like building sides, walls, doors,,wall decoration, etc. objects were always that way, this was more about making it easier to make, move, and modify buildings.

Radec

I agree, best game in the series and a shame imsomniac went mult-platform.
Does this mean we won't see a Resistance 4 on PS3?

If Sony puts a budget on it, then we can see it happening.

I hope it goes to PS4 though.

I like Insomniac, but releasing sub-hd games while other first-party devs can delivery 720p games is pretty depressing.

MrPliskin

Banned
If Sony puts a budget on it, then we can see it happening.

I hope it goes to PS4 though.

I like Insomniac, but releasing sub-hd games while other first-party devs can delivery 720p games is pretty depressing.

Sun-hd was the cost of mind blowingly beautiful particle effects (snow, dust, smoke, rain). IQ can be important, but sometimes trade offs can still make a gorgeous game.

MrPliskin

Banned
Ran through MP after a 2 week break, and I'm still doing great. Started my 3rd remnant, and it's crazy how much the game changes. Still having tons of fun with it though, hopefully some for pay maps are released in the future.

I just finished the campaign.

First, let me get most of the bad out of the way.

The visuals of the game are bad, and I was severely disappointed with them. Throughout the entire game I was never able to reconcile my dislike for the visuals. The game is a blurry mess, and I'm very disappointed in this regard. I understand that it may be due to technical issues with how many enemies the game throws at you at once, but clarity, I think, should never be sacrificed. Looking at the screen, a lot of the times I felt like I was playing a game on the PS2 or the Xbox.

I felt the health system was implemented rather poorly in this game. I spent a lot of the time stressing to find health packs. Being at low health is really annoying because the colors change, the edges of your screen turn red, and you hear a really loud heartbeat, and you can remain in this state for up to minutes at a time. I would have preferred the game go with regenerative health. It would've freed up the designers to make the encounters more dynamic because they wouldn't have had to worry about a player with low health approaching a certain encounter, and I feel like I would've been able to experiment more in certain encounters were I not have had to worry about entering the next encounter with low health.

The story is serviceable. Certainly better than Resistance 2's from what I can remember, but nowhere near as good as R:FoM's. Not sure how I feel about
saving the world by destroying a single tower.
The writing is inconsistent. It can be serviceable, good, cheesy, or forced. What I think really hurts the narrative of the game is its cast of unlikeable characters. Outside of Joe and Ellis (and I figure it's because they don't speak much), maybe Malikov, and that guy who helps you escape from the prison, none of the characters were likeable. Don't even get me started on those religious folks who seemed to feel the need to remind you that they're religious and they worship God every two minutes.

As good as the sandbox is in this game, I think ADS delivers a huge blow to it, and some of the encounters suffer from it. If your game emphasizes the use of ADS, your player isn't going to be doing a lot while you shoot, so the AI has to be tweaked to not be too aggressive or dynamic (get around you and stuff like that). I would've much preferred it if the game had gone the Halo route or, at the very least, the route of R:FoM: little-to-no emphasis on ADS.

Now for the good.

The sandbox, as a whole is great. I loved that your weapons upgraded the more you used 'em. I found myself using weapons just to see what upgrades they were going to get. Outside of the weapon that turns people into ooze or whatever, all of the weapons were great fun to use and offered much in variety.

The encounters, on the whole, were good. Some could've approached greatness were it not for the health system and emphasis on ADS, but I digress. I was very impressed with the encounters in this game; even the on-rail sections were great fun (boat scene and train scene).

The sound design is excellent for the most part. I say for the most part because I really hated the mini-opera singing you got every time you picked up a health pack. The music is really enjoyable.

Despite the blurriness, the game does an excellent job of creating the right mood and atmosphere. The music does its part, and boy does it do its part well, in establishing both aspects. I was terrified of the Goliaths in the boat scene.

To summarize: Resistance 3 is a very good, but very flawed game. I recommend it with huge caveats. If you can stand the visuals, the health system, ADS, then by all means buy it. Without those problems, and if the story and characters were great, this game could've been one of the best games of the generation. Overall a fine ending to the series; good job, Insomniac.

Himself

In response to Dax01 (I botched the quote function):

The visuals of the game are bad, and I was severely disappointed with them. I can't defend how the game was able to pull off other visual effects by dropping the resolution a bit on the technical level that others have, but I can say that I thought a lot of the locations had excellent art design and, to me, damn good graphics. E.g. the culminating battle in Haven.

I spent a lot of the time stressing to find health packs. Being at low health is really annoying because the colors change, the edges of your screen turn red, and you hear a really loud heartbeat, and you can remain in this state for up to minutes at a time. This led to a couple of my favorite moments while playing because it got so damn tense.

The story is serviceable. I can agree. Most video game stories basically serve the gameplay for me. I did think
the death of Malikov and the prison
were unexpected and well done. The biggest gap for me was the lack of enrichment of the Chimeran lore.

And I basically agree with the pros you listed. What is ADS?

Top Bottom