• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Game just started, having fun so far, level progression always hooks me in games, I like using the different weapons to level up and see what cool thing they do next. What I don't like is that fade to black to cutscenes and the lips not matching up with the dialogue.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Just played multiplayer for the first time, and I have absolutely no clue what's going on. I just run around and die a lot from god knows what. I swear sometimes I run into an empty room and the walls attack me.

patsu

When that happens, it usually means someone is leeching your life from behind, using the Atomizer. Drop a grenade to die together. 8^P

Tokubetsu

Go 18-10, team still loses by almost 5k pts (TDM). FML

Feeling carbine a bit more than the bullseye though. Think I need to get the bullseye to lvl2 before i get into it.

EDIT: Upgraded Bullseye to lvl 2...no discernable difference. Back to Carbine.

Also, Terraformer (breach) is a fun map.

Derrick01

Banned
Picked this up today. Is the lip syncing supposed to be so awful? It's like one of those old japanese movies where their mouths are moving seconds before or after voice comes out.

.la1n

Picked this up today. Is the lip syncing supposed to be so awful? It's like one of those old japanese movies where their mouths are moving seconds before or after voice comes out.

I'll be 100% honest with you guys, I never noticed this during my play through. I'm at work but I will pop the disc in when I get home and verify.

OSHAN

Just played multiplayer for the first time, and I have absolutely no clue what's going on. I just run around and die a lot from god knows what. I swear sometimes I run into an empty room and the walls attack me.

That can happen when you're dealing with guns that can see, and shoot, through walls.

Tokubetsu

I'll be 100% honest with you guys, I never noticed this during my play through. I'm at work but I will pop the disc in when I get home and verify.

I had quite a few audio issues. I only noticed the lip synch bit right at the start with Susan though. My problem was the fact that the audio would drop out or lag behind what was going on on screen fairly often. Like during a melee, or a big explosion etc.

Cornbread78

I'm down. No mic though. Tokubetsu on PSN.

IT would essentially be against another big clan that has gotten all fat and happen in R3 and is looking for a good challange.. I was kinda hoping NA GAF clan would rise up and give these guys a nice punch in the mouth.....

someday

Banned
I'll play. PSN is someday, just like on here. I'm just ok, depending on how the other team plays. I don't like using overpowered weapons and therefore, tend to die often.

MrPliskin

Banned
IT would essentially be against another big clan that has gotten all fat and happen in R3 and is looking for a good challange.. I was kinda hoping NA GAF clan would rise up and give these guys a nice punch in the mouth.....

Warn them that if I host, they're not getting berserks, tactical abilities, or any attributes. Just guns and support abilities, nothing else.

Tokubetsu

Which clan? I'm still down for games after I guess. The clan that was giving me a run couple days ago was DAED or something like that.

Derrick01

Banned
I had quite a few audio issues. I only noticed the lip synch bit right at the start with Susan though. My problem was the fact that the audio would drop out or lag behind what was going on on screen fairly often. Like during a melee, or a big explosion etc.

Yeah same here. I notice it a lot with the shotgun, the sound will register like 2 seconds after I fire and even the enemy's reaction is delayed. The lip syncing is un-noticeable now.

I'm enjoying the game but the dark parts combined with the blur and ~25 fps is really hurting my eyes though. I'm in the
mine area
now. Some pretty intense moments so far though. Definitely not the crap campaigns that 1 and 2 were.

Tokubetsu

Wait a minute, you guys playing now ?

I only see the posts today. 8^(
Too late to reschedule my life.

Not playing tonight. Clans are in full effect right now and I can't get into a TDM game where I'm being totally dominated by 501 (i think) and DAED clan tagged dudes.

I'm on chapter 19 so far, how many more chapters do I have left? I'm really not liking New York so far. Resistance 3 started off with a bang, I fell in love with it. Right now, it feels like a typical FPS. Does the game gets better, or am I screwed?

Reave

I've considered picking this up, but I hear the multiplayer has been Medal of Honor dead. This can't be true, right?

Tokubetsu

I'm on chapter 19 so far, how many more chapters do I have left? I'm really not liking New York so far. Resistance 3 started off with a bang, I fell in love with it. Right now, it feels like a typical FPS. Does the game gets better, or am I screwed?

It's about to end but yea, those last 2-3 chapters are basically gauntlets.

patsu

I've considered picking this up, but I hear the multiplayer has been Medal of Honor dead. This can't be true, right?

I play it almost everyday. Sometimes when you get assigned to a new room where there is no one else except yourself, you will need to wait a few minutes for the room to fill. This only happens when you first sign in. After that, the game will just keep going.

If you get assigned to a populated room, then you'll get into a game within seconds.

I powered through the remaining chapters, and I'm glad I did. New York was probably my least favorite part, however after
Charles came back to get me, which was awesome, especially since that moment was really intense. Thought I was going to die. Anyway, the game became better after that moment.

Resistance 3 was a "goldilock zone" for difficulty; it was never too easy and never too hard. I was challenged, but I never became frustrated with the game except when I started to bumble around looking for the way to progress, but that's my own fault.

Resistance 3 is my favorite FPS of this year, it's an unfortunate pity that most people will be overlooking this gem during (FPS) GOTY. :-(

The difficulty was definitely balanced well with the health pack system. I ended up running around during the final battle with 1 point of health and surviving. It just wouldn't have been as epic with regenerative health.

Derrick01

Banned
I just finished it about 10 minutes ago, really loved it except for the last 2 chapters or so. Add yet another game to the list of games this gen that just kind of fell apart and got sloppy at the very end.

That being said it was a great game overall and there were times where I was just blown away, usually when there was wind whipping thousands of tiny pieces of debris around as you're in a full out battle with dozens of friendlies and enemies. Really impressive shit.

I hated R1 and didn't even make it past a few chapters in 2 because of how bad it was, but I'll gladly take an R4 if it's like this.

The difficulty was definitely balanced well with the health pack system. I ended up running around during the final battle with 1 point of health and surviving. It just wouldn't have been as epic with regenerative health.

I don't know what happened, but I slaughtered everything in the final battle. I was massacred the first time looking for the power rods, then I found them. I decided to use my rocket launcher...every fucking chimera died crying in pain, except for the big dude. I murdered him, and I destroyed the power rods in a leisure manner....I didn't get the epicness until I left that room. :(

Tokubetsu

Did you guys take advantage of double xp weekend? I went from rank 16 to late 20s thanks to it =P

I like the bullseye, even got it to rank 3 but I'm still leaning towards the Carbine. Damage is nicer, I feel way more accurate with it and it just FEELS more satisfying/rewarding to use.

finished it last night.

Enjoyed it for the most part, pacing was a bit off. What was built up to be an epic journey to NYC was a horrible boat ride, a filler train ride mixed with Ravenholm and Nova Prospekt. i didnt see any thanks to Valve in the credits...

the cinematics had too much hit and miss, Joe enters a house from the snow to get warm...but doesnt close the door??? small detail yes, but it shows the lack of attention to the details which elevates 'ok quality' to 'great quality'. The game is riddled with little things like that.

its well worth a discounted buy, but insomniac need to aim a bit higher with their next release.

Pranay

I just finished it about 10 minutes ago, really loved it except for the last 2 chapters or so. Add yet another game to the list of games this gen that just kind of fell apart and got sloppy at the very end.

That being said it was a great game overall and there were times where I was just blown away, usually when there was wind whipping thousands of tiny pieces of debris around as you're in a full out battle with dozens of friendlies and enemies. Really impressive shit.

I hated R1 and didn't even make it past a few chapters in 2 because of how bad it was, but I'll gladly take an R4 if it's like this.

Imagine R3 with 1080p and 60 fps.

The Art is so good, it would been the best looking game ever.

finished it last night.

Enjoyed it for the most part, pacing was a bit off. What was built up to be an epic journey to NYC was a horrible boat ride, a filler train ride mixed with Ravenholm and Nova Prospekt. i didnt see any thanks to Valve in the credits...

its well worth a discounted buy, but insomniac need to aim a bit higher with their next release.

Bolded parts are so true. I've actually started a new run through HL2 after finishing R3 on Superhuman.

R2 for all it's faults did not keep reminding me of another game as I was playing it!

Tokubetsu

Bolded parts are so true. I've actually started a new run through HL2 after finishing R3 on Superhuman.

R2 for all it's faults did not keep reminding me of another game as I was playing it!

How was the superhuman run? I'm thinking about it but it sounds like a headache...

MrPliskin

Banned
finished it last night.

the cinematics had too much hit and miss, Joe enters a house from the snow to get warm...but doesnt close the door??? small detail yes, but it shows the lack of attention to the details which elevates 'ok quality' to 'great quality'. The game is riddled with little things like that.

I didn't see valve thank the numerous movies that inspired HL2 so...

Oh right, games exist in a vacuume and inspiration can't come from anywhere but our favorite games, right?

oh i agree. stephen king gets a big nod from Valve.

BUT

full concept lifting???? practically right down to colour palette? give me a break Pliskin.
if you are going to shill, do it in style son.

MrPliskin

Banned
oh i agree. stephen king gets a big nod from Valve.

BUT

full concept lifting???? practically right down to colour palette? give me a break Pliskin.
if you are going to shill, do it in style son.

You're right, it's too far fetched to think they'd connect the following dots:

1. He would have to cross Pennsylvania.
2. Penn. is famous for Coal Minimg.
3. Trains would be near coal mines.
4. Make town in coal mines so he can use train.

Obviously there are similarities, namely a priest and traveling between roof tops. I don't, however, believe they went into this thinking "hey, let's do Ravenholm!".

More over, HL2 is mentioned far too often in the same breath as dozens of games, simply because people are unaware of HL2's inspirations. It's like citing CoD for basic shooter mechanics when you don't have a good background with many shooters.

MrPliskin

Banned
its like watching a fish out of water...

give it a rest dude :)

Right, so if I went into an HL2 or Portal thread and started talking about the movies and books they "aped" you'd be right there with me to agree? Or would you be rational and understand that most of these ideas and concepts are really common, and definitely not fresh, new, or unique? I can't help it that I've grown tired of pompous gamers who have shit for history in any other entertainment medium and simply fall back to the most successful title with said plot / mechanic / art style / color pallets / etc.

;-)

How was the superhuman run? I'm thinking about it but it sounds like a headache...

If you start with at least some upgrades (well, most likely if you start with no upgrades at all too) it's not that much harder than normal. I found out that any tough situation (usually related to jumpers) can be handled with abusing checkpoints anyway by rushing to them (hellooo Sniper parts) and most battles are rather easy anyway. I recall that there was only one part where wasn't any checkpoints in the middle of the battle (running up the stairs while protecting the guy with power orb).

Like with any modern FPS's, checkpoints are so plentiful that dying is hardly a punishment and in R3 you get some health and weapons too IIRC

Right, so if I went into an HL2 or Portal thread and started talking about the movies and books they "aped" you'd be right there with me to agree? Or would you be rational and understand that most of these ideas and concepts are really common, and definitely not fresh, new, or unique? I can't help it that I've grown tired of pompous gamers who have shit for history in any other entertainment medium and simply fall back to the most successful title with said plot / mechanic / art style / color pallets / etc.

;-)

yeah, i have no idea what i am talking about :D

Tokubetsu

If you start with at least some upgrades (well, most likely if you start with no upgrades at all too) it's not that much harder than normal. I found out that any tough situation (usually related to jumpers) can be handled with abusing checkpoints anyway by rushing to them (hellooo Sniper parts) and most battles are rather easy anyway. I recall that there was only one part where wasn't any checkpoints in the middle of the battle (running up the stairs while protecting the guy with power orb).

Like with any modern FPS's, checkpoints are so plentiful that dying is hardly a punishment and in R3 you get some health and weapons too IIRC

Ah, okay. I just don't want COD4 Veteran flashbacks lol. I'll give it a run after i platinum inFamous 2.

Globox_82

Banned
I hope this is it from resistance. 3rd game was great, but after the second one no one cares. IP is dead.

Insomniac needs to return to their roots and that is 3rd person. Just look at their twin Naughty Dog. they are now light years ahead of Insomniac. Plus ACIT (3rd person) is one of the top 20 games of gen IMO. If they continue down this rout of FPS they will just keep on making forgettable games. That market is already taken by other bigger and better devs at making FPSs. Go back and start doing what you are one of the best in the world. 3rd person action adventures. It doesn't have to be Ratchet. I don't mind M rated game, but make it in that spirit and there won't be any flops any more.
Because latest Ratched defected embryo experiment and R3 numbers are horrible. That is not Sonys fault btw. Sony has given them too much support imo. Instead give that support to Sony Bend, tripple A dev that is overlooked and stuck on stupid handhelds and borrowed IPs. Glad to see RAD moving away from that shit.

No, superhuman is achievable. Take it slow, use the right weapon for the job.

Only sticking points for me were 1st bit in Prison with sledgehammers, you have to make it to the check points and then respawn.

Defending Washington Square. No checkpoints here, you need every weapon for this section.

Areas that have cheap hacks to pass. The Pit - let off atomiser, let of mutator secondary round, run around a bit then you can just open door, no need to fight the never ending waves. The kitchen - hide in access corridor, take out few guys, but this is on a timer. End boss, use sniper rifle to take out cores before you enter level, triggers first check point. Ignore all other chimera a focus on boss. Oh both Wideomaker fights are completely broken, just stand back in corner and snipe away.

Numpt3

Started this earlier, It's pretty good so far.

My only complaints are that I'm playing on hard and it's not that hard at all, and that old guy is a demanding bastard. lol

Top Bottom