• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Tokubetsu

For sure man. What's your PSN ID so I can add you?

Tokubetsu. I started some R3 MP today after buying the MP pack (I bought it for Glenda skin, back off haha). I don't own a mic (yet) but I've been enjoying it. Been losing games but I've been staying positive K:D wise and going for objectives so i chalk it up to teammates. 4 games in and I'm at 59 kills, 37 deaths, 44% accuracy and 2 wins out of those four. Highest streak is 8.

Cornbread78

So is R3 GAF ready for some private competitive matches? My buddies have been dying for some friendly competition, is anyone down to do some matches Fri or Sat. night? I can broker the deal, but most likely will not play unless I'm forced into action late night. Let me know if anyone is interested and we can start planning out times/dates/contacts/settings. It should be fun.

Horde mode? I love R3 but that sounds like a snooze. I really wish devs would get over this trend; it was cool at first but it's gotten really tired.

MrPliskin

Banned
Horde mode? I love R3 but that sounds like a snooze. I really wish devs would get over this trend; it was cool at first but it's gotten really tired.

At least it actually fits into the Resistance Universe though. Also hoping I can get this sledgehammer in MP, but that's not clear yet.

Cornbread - I'm down for Saturday, who is wanting to play from your squad?

mollipen

Man, I could not agree with you more. Them taking out the custom game browser was as stupid, if not more so, than taking out their co-op mode. Cannot begin to understand their thinking there.

At this point, I've tried countless times now, and the only way I can ever find a Team Deathmatch match is to go into "Any" and hope it comes up in the rotation at some point and that people pick it. I'm honestly depressed by this, because I loved TD in Resistance 2. I like the way guns feel in R3, I like the customization stuff, and I adore the maps so far, so UGGGGGH!

Melchiah

I might be actually getting this, depending on the price, but I have to say I hated the music in the trailer. It doesn't fit the game, and only serves to ruin the mood.

EDIT: Wait...
But what has me most stoked personally is that the Brutality Pack fittingly features the music of the incomparable Mastodon
... the DLC features their music, on background when you play the game?! I might actually skip this just because of that.

Duxxy3

I rented the game this weekend to play through the single player. I must say it was nice to see resistance return to the gameplay of resistance 1. It didn't have the set pieces of COD and Uncharted, it did harken to an older generation of first person shooters where the combat was king.

Santar

I don't get why people hate on horde/survival modes.
So all you want is the ultra scripted linear single player campaign then?
In say Modern Warfare 3 to me survival is where I actually get to play the game and feel how good the combat actually is in that game (hit reactions on enemies are pretty awesome). Free of the crappy scripted sequences.
Of course they have to be well made, Army of Two 40th day's horde mode was crap.

I love survival modes, be it fps'es, third person shooters or fighting games. It gives me more of the gameplay, all action games should have horde modes as long as it fits the genre of course.

MrPliskin

Banned
I might be actually getting this, depending on the price, but I have to say I hated the music in the trailer. It doesn't fit the game, and only serves to ruin the mood.

EDIT: Wait...

... the DLC features their music, on background when you play the game?! I might actually skip this just because of that.

You can silence the music, it'll just be ambient noise.

Melchiah

You can silence the music, it'll just be ambient noise.

The thing is, R3 had a wonderful soundtrack, and if something as out of place as Mastodon hadn't been added to the DLC, I wouldn't have to mute the music. I can only be glad they didn't think about doing the same with the SP campaign. Going through the Grim-infested areas would have been far less atmospheric with Mastodon (or any other rock/metal band for that matter) playing on background.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Just got my Black Friday copy of R3 in the mail. Installing the updates now. Looking forward to playing through this campaign as I've heard good things. Should I play through the game on Normal my first time? Is it too hard/too easy?

MrPliskin

Banned
Just got my Black Friday copy of R3 in the mail. Installing the updates now. Looking forward to playing through this campaign as I've heard good things. Should I play through the game on Normal my first time? Is it too hard/too easy?
Go through on Hard first

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Go through on Hard first

Lol just saw this. I started the game on Normal - went through the first 4 chapters. Really fun stuff so far, I'm really enjoying how useful each of the guns are. Each enemy can be taken down in multiple ways, so which gun you use depends on where you are/where the enemies are/how ballsy you're feeling. I'm digging how the different mechanics of the guns and enemies actually translate to different combat strategies, such as the Auger forcing you out of cover or the Chimeran Longlegs making you keep track of multiple rooftops.

I will say the story so far is pretty awful. Granted I didn't play R1 or much of R2 (played half of it and then sold it), but within the first 15 seconds I thought
why couldn't they just have analyzed Hale's blood when he was alive, considering he was immune, to create a cure, instead of waiting until he was dead? Would have saved humanity a hell of a lot of time.
And Capelli's motivation to join the scientist on this quest was so completely contrived. I'm kind of interested in what this tower in New York is all about though, so hopefully that pans out.

Overall quite happy with this game so far. Haven't tried multiplayer yet but will be sure to give it a shot at some point.

Tokubetsu

Just had some more difficult MP games. Was barely breaking even. I guess I was just lucking out wiht horrible players yesterday?

Also, said fuck it and bought the brutality pack.

Massa

why couldn't they just have analyzed Hale's blood when he was alive, considering he was immune, to create a cure, instead of waiting until he was dead? Would have saved humanity a hell of a lot of time.

It's not like they waited for him to die to start trying to find a cure...

It's only 4 bucks, so it's not like a huge investment, it seems like they've made some strides going back to more exotic weapons in R3 but then they do something like this, of all the horde modes out there they decided to go with the CODBLOPS zombie formula when they don't have to, you have all those large enemies and weapon-wielding enemies, everything from regular chimeras to widowmakers to drones to ravagers to brawlers, obviously with weapon-wielding enemies and large enemies there is going to be more testing involved, making basically a zombie-mode just feels like a missed opportunity and that they don't really want to invest much more manpower into additional content and maybe they don't anymore.

Tokubetsu

It's only 4 bucks, so it's not like a huge investment, it seems like they've made some strides going back to more exotic weapons in R3 but then they do something like this, of all the horde modes out there they decided to go with the CODBLOPS zombie formula when they don't have to, you have all those large enemies and weapon-wielding enemies, everything from regular chimeras to widowmakers to drones to ravagers to brawlers, obviously with weapon-wielding enemies and large enemies there is going to be more testing involved, making basically a zombie-mode just feels like a missed opportunity and that they don't really want to invest much more manpower into additional content and maybe they don't anymore.

To be fair, with the lukewarm reception this seems to have received, can you blame them?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
It's not like they waited for him to die to start trying to find a cure...

I meant why not
test his blood before he died?
They made it seem in the intro movie like that step wasn't taken until after Resistance 2 ended.

Unless something happened towards the end of Resistance 2 that would explain it. As I said, I played half of R2 then sold it off as it was pretty boring.

Trevelyan

Banned
Bought the DLC when I got home and played for about an hour by myself. Really loving it. Tense and tough as hell. Made it to stage 10. If anyone GAF is willing to co-op, please add me, I'll probably be playing it every night this week! PSN is same as here.

Cornbread78

At least it actually fits into the Resistance Universe though. Also hoping I can get this sledgehammer in MP, but that's not clear yet.

Cornbread - I'm down for Saturday, who is wanting to play from your squad?

Will probably be up to 8 guys, I just need to know ahead of time.

Hell, if you all are on after 11pm EST, I can probably jump in shortly after if I don't get nabbed by the BF3 and CoD crews first, lol. I'll get you a list shortly, What time should you start, about 9pm EST on Sat.?

MrPliskin

Banned
Survival is pretty fun, I think. It basically starts you off with a hammer, and you unlock new weapons with each subsequent round. Consecutive kills without taking damage will unlock new grenades and other bonuses, like health and speed.

Gets really intense after about 15 rounds. Can take quite some time to finish all 30, especially if you play solo. Kinda irritated it caps at 30 instead of becoming inexplicably difficult with an infinite # of rounds.

Raul_Atreides

Neo Member
So, couple of questions for the brutality stuff. Can you splitscreen co-op it? That's about the only way I'd play. Are there difficulty settings or does it just scale up with each wave? Is it really only grims(are there at least the poison grims?)? Thanks.

MrPliskin

Banned
So, couple of questions for the brutality stuff. Can you splitscreen co-op it? That's about the only way I'd play. Are there difficulty settings or does it just scale up with each wave? Is it really only grims(are there at least the poison grims?)? Thanks.

It does have split screen, and there are leeches. There are also "ice" leeches that freeze enemies when they explode.

patsu

What's you guys' loadout online? I can't decide if I prefer the bullseye over the carbine.

BullsEye hands down for me.

I used to equip Grenadier, Turret, BullsEye and Heal. Now I use mostly Strap (BullsEye, Deadeye, Atomizer), Turret and Heal.

Top Bottom