• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance Burning Skies |OT| Extinguishing the Flames of Vitality

VanWinkle

Sony can be so stupid sometimes. I mean, why on earth give the Resistance series Vita entry, and the first FPS on the system, to NIHILISTIC!? My goodness. I knew the game would turn out badly; everybody did.

PSN Stores 3/5
M!Games 80%
PSNation B
Game Modo: Verdict Buy
PSM3 7.9

I'm guessing those will be the highest reviews it gets.

spats

With support for both analog sticks? (You change this yourself right?)

Retribution used the face buttons to control the camera, so the camera is automatically mapped to the right stick. The input feels digital, but infinitely better than using the face buttons.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Sony can be so stupid sometimes. I mean, why on earth give the Resistance series Vita entry, and the first FPS on the system, to NIHILISTIC!? My goodness. I knew the game would turn out badly; everybody did.

I'm guessing those will be the highest reviews it gets.

Slant Six was busy!

That's not a good thing to read as I didn't think Insomniac's games had soul either. :-/

R1 did with Cartwright

R2 had a bit in the end where Capelli yells at you saying "The whole fucking human race is done if you don't hurry," or something to that effect

R3 had, well, Capelli's monologue towards the end and that's about it

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
That's not a good thing to read as I didn't think Insomniac's games had soul either. :-/

Yup.

and the only Resistance game with soul and it's own identity is Resistance: Retribution,and it's the best game of the series. But then again Bend is a very good studio unlike the rest of the C-rated devs who worked on the other Resistance games.

Flunkie

Banned
Yeah, I need more DD games on my Vita. Swapping cards is too damn annoying for me. Definitely buying this since I haven't played anything on Vita in awhile, so hopefully it's got the PS Store 10% off thing.

Y2Kev

Yup.

and the only Resistance game with soul and it's own identity is Resistance: Retribution,and it's the best game of the series. But then again Bend is a very good studio unlike the rest of the C-rated devs who worked on the other Resistance games.

Oh stop it. Resistance 3 was better than Retribution.

Retribution was really good, but Resistance 3 is definitely no slouch.

VanWinkle

Oh stop it. Resistance 3 was better than Retribution.

Retribution was really good, but Resistance 3 is definitely no slouch.

Resistance 3 was easily the best in the series. Retribution and fall of man were both great. Resistance 2 was pretty good, and filled to the brim with content. This one is just... :(

Glix

...and the Destructoid review is the only one showing on Metacritic, which is absolutely going to sink this game.

What bothers me is that people's livelihood depends on asshats like JIM trying to get hits or picking a bone or whatever the fuck he is doing with that review.

I wonder what we can do to get him fired, or get no bonus (because is basically what he is doing)

I have fabulous hair.

Y2Kev

What bothers me is that people's livelihood depends on asshats like JIM trying to get hits or picking a bone or whatever the fuck he is doing with that review.

I wonder what we can do to get him fired, or get no bonus (because is basically what he is doing)

I have fabulous hair.

You are about to get quoted by Mama Robotnik.

test_account

XP-39C²
I ordered my copy earlier today. I dont care if this game gets 1/10 or 10/10, i want to play it regardless. I've played and beaten every Resistance game, so i must continue that "tradition" :) This game will also give me a taste of how Call of Duty (or any FPS for that matter) will feel on Vita.

Y2Kev

I'm in that boat. I like playing games on Vita-- it's incredibly comfortable, the screen is great, and I love the multitasking-- and I like Resistance. I've been on board for four games now. Might as well stay on. Can't be worse than Resistance 2.

But really, playing games on Vita is very nice. And yet there are so few.

I have fabulous hair.

The only asshat here is the person trying to sell you a game this bad.

zroid

Banned
Yowza at dat Sterling review. I fall in the camp of people who don't often agree with his opinions, but still have a lot of respect for his editorial voice. Still, brutal.

test_account

XP-39C²
I'm in that boat. I like playing games on Vita-- it's incredibly comfortable, the screen is great, and I love the multitasking-- and I like Resistance. I've been on board for four games now. Might as well stay on. Can't be worse than Resistance 2.

Agreed. I enjoy playing on the Vita. I've felt the drought of Vita games for a while now, but i recently bought Everybody's Golf, which i think is great. Then i get Resistance in a few day, after that it is Gravity Daze. So will be occupied on the Vita for some time at least =)

kaf

interesting review. For what it's worth, the screenshots he claims aren't representative of how the game looks were taken from the in-game SS tool.

Also the run icon indicates stamina.

Carl

Fuck Jim, i'm buying anyway. I usually have the complete opposite view to him on everything, so him hating it is pretty much a guarantee i will love it.

BibiMaghoo

interesting review. For what it's worth, the screenshots he claims aren't representative of how the game looks were taken from the in-game SS tool.

Also the run icon indicates stamina.

Does he not clearly state that the in game SS tool is disabled for RBS?

theBishop

Banned

Yeah, there are a couple studios Sony started partnering with on late-era PSP games and Move titles. Nihilistic is probably the worst.

highrider

Banned

yeah, i'm all in on resistance. it's not like there is some great story. i think due to the first resistance being the main thing i played on my ps3 during launch. at the end of the day i want a vita fps pretty bad. my expectations are very moderated for burning skies so i'll likely enjoy it.

i find it kind of sad that it's kind of been relegated to more b-tier devs ( i know some consider insomniac b-tier but i think they are capable of greatness ), because it seemed like resistance 3 sort of nailed what the game always was trying to be.

zroid

Banned
IGN review is up and it's not great either, sad to say :(

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/05/28/resistance-burning-skies-review

Greg Miller said:
Looking back at IGN's previews of Resistance: Burning Skies, the same idea keeps popping up: this is a handheld first-person shooter that feels like its console brethren. After shoehorning FPS games onto portables for years, having a true dual-stick shooter on the go is exciting -- it's just that Resistance: Burning Skies isn't. Burning Skies is a competent shooter with presentation problems that does little to thrill you.

Resistance: Burning Skies has the honor of being the first true twin-stick FPS on a handheld, but it doesn't do much with it. The story here is forgettable, the action is formulaic, and the multiplayer is simplistic. If first-person action is your favorite thing in the world, Resistance: Burning Skies is at your service. Just don't expect it to shine like we know this franchise can.

Score: 5.5/10

edit: derp

Massa

yeah, i'm all in on resistance. it's not like there is some great story. i think due to the first resistance being the main thing i played on my ps3 during launch. at the end of the day i want a vita fps pretty bad. my expectations are very moderated for burning skies so i'll likely enjoy it.

i find it kind of sad that it's kind of been relegated to more b-tier devs ( i know some consider insomniac b-tier but i think they are capable of greatness ), because it seemed like resistance 3 sort of nailed what the game always was trying to be.

Resistance 3 is the best game Sony released last year, and it was criminally sent to die.

Top Bottom