• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance Burning Skies |OT| Extinguishing the Flames of Vitality

Ein Bear

Resistance 3 is the best game Sony released last year, and it was criminally sent to die.

Resistance 3 is the best current-gen FPS, it's completely amazing from start to finish.

It's a shame that Insomniac didn't crack it until the last game in the series they'd make :(

btkadams

man, these reviews are bumming me out! i got it cheaper than msrp with a preorder coupon code, but this seems disappointing. it's waiting for me at home.

Corto

I will try the demo tomorrow but some of those reviews are disheartening. I won't say anything else before trying it myself.

Spiegel

I think we all saw these reviews coming.

Honestly, I really don't get why the first game on the biggest genre, on a dual analog handheld, is coming 3 months after launch. And to make things worse it's from a C-tier developer, it has seemingly been rushed and it's lacking on all aspects.

Sony should've gotten a third party to port a popular FPS for launch. Even a Resistance 1 port would have been a better choice than this.

AppleBlade

Sony should've gotten a third party to port a popular FPS for launch. Even a Resistance 1 port would have been a better choice than this.
Agreed, Resistance 1 port at launch would have been smarter and safer (even in the hands of lower-tier developer). Nintendo seems to have learned this with the DS and 3DS as both had ports of older but good console games early in their lifespans.

Ein Bear

I think we all saw these reviews coming.

Honestly, I really don't get why the first game on the biggest genre, on a dual analog handheld, is coming 3 months after launch. And to make things worse it's from a C-tier developer, it has seemingly been rushed and it's lacking on all aspects.

Oh damn I hadn't ever considered that, but yeah an R1 port would have been awesome :(

highrider

Banned
should have been a bigger priority for a good fps at launch. maybe they figured with uncharted and unit 13 they were covered, but neither of those games ( while i enjoyed them ) scratched that itch for me.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Resistance 3 is the best game Sony released last year, and it was criminally sent to die.

Of this list:

LittleBigPlanet 2
DC Universe Online
Killzone 3
Ape Escape On The Move
MLB 11: The Show
PlayStation Move Heroes
MotorStorm: Apocalypse
SOCOM 4
Infamous 2
White Knight Chronicles 2
Resistance 3
God of War: Origins Collection
The Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection
Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One
Medieval Moves: Deadmund's Quest
Start the Party 2
Carnival Island
Everybody Dance
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

It's definitely top 3 for me. It was a GREAT title. Not counting rereleases.

what's everybody dance?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Sony should be doing everything they can to make these games the best they could be. It's like they seriously don't care.

theBishop

Banned
Of this list:

LittleBigPlanet 2
DC Universe Online
Killzone 3
Ape Escape On The Move
MLB 11: The Show
PlayStation Move Heroes
MotorStorm: Apocalypse
SOCOM 4
Infamous 2
White Knight Chronicles 2
Resistance 3
God of War: Origins Collection
The Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection
Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One
Medieval Moves: Deadmund's Quest
Start the Party 2
Carnival Island
Everybody Dance
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

It's definitely top 3 for me. It was a GREAT title. Not counting rereleases.

what's everybody dance?

Goddamn, Sony's 1st party is a force to be reckoned with. That's a huge lineup for one year.

While I usually dismiss the meme that "Nintendo puts their console teams on 3DS [and Sony don't]", this is a clear case of Sony playing loose with an important franchise. Nihilistic is a team who never made even a decent game. It doesn't bother me that Sony gave Uncharted to Bend because Bend had already proven themselves. Sony's not showing much confidence in the Resistance franchise letting such an undistinguished team work on it.

Ollie Pooch

While the 2 at Destructoid seems pretty harsh, at least he breaks down why - that last review posted seems to criticize nearly every aspect of the game from the story, graphics, sound and terrible AI then says "if you're a die hard FPS fan, definitely pick this up!".

Game sounds dreadful. Will wait for GAF impressions before making up my mind - I was super hyped for this but it seems like it falls flat. And with Gravity Rush around the corner...

Loudninja

While the 2 at Destructoid seems pretty harsh, at least he breaks down why - that last review posted seems to criticize nearly every aspect of the game from the story, graphics, sound and terrible AI then says "if you're a die hard FPS fan, definitely pick this up!".

Game sounds dreadful. Will wait for GAF impressions before making up my mind - I was super hyped for this but it seems like it falls flat. And with Gravity Rush around the corner...
So you just ignore the first part of the reivew.

Ollie Pooch

So you just ignore the first part of the reivew.
No, I read it. I just got the impression from the rest of the review as a whole that the game is really sloppy and feels unfinished. He says the graphics in the levels are bland and boring, the sound is awful, the game is short and the AI sucks. Anyway, like I said I'll await impressions on this forum before deciding on the game. I'm loving the shooting parts of Uncharted - a FPS would be really cool.
I'll no doubt get hyped up in a moment of weakness

btkadams

Just played the first 10 minutes. I actually felt it was decent so far. The aim is a bit sensitive so i may turn it down a but if I don't get used to it. What the fuck is with the cutscene videos? Guys, they look like they're running off YouTube on a smartphone in 2006... The compression is absolutely fucked.

I have no comments about the story/audio though, because I was playing it on mute.

I wish the game situation on the Vita wasn't so shitty, but as a Lumines fan I'm still pretty happy with my purchase. If I wasn't a Lumines fan I probably would have sold it by now (or possibly never bought it).

btkadams

I wish the game situation on the Vita wasn't so shitty, but as a Lumines fan I'm still pretty happy with my purchase. If I wasn't a Lumines fan I probably would have sold it by now (or possibly never bought it).

wipeout, rayman, uncharted, and hot shots have made it worth it to me. no buyers remorse :)

(tellingly, this game blocks the Vita's screen capture software)

lol.

oh, even ign gave it a low score? If Greg Miller gives a sony exclusive a 5.5...

And people picking up the game here, don't spew silly excuses like "no games to play for like 2 weeks until gravity daze/MGS hD". Man up to your decisions on buying less than amazing games!

And people picking up the game here, don't spew silly excuses like "no games to play for like 2 weeks until gravity daze/MGS hD". Man up to your decisions on buying less than amazing games!

No excuses here; watched some gameplay videos and thought it looked fun. Hopefully I'll enjoy it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
lol.

oh, even ign gave it a low score? If Greg Miller gives a sony exclusive a 5.5...

I don't think anybody needs excuses. Personally, I have fabulous wealth and buy everything.

btkadams

I actually didn't order at Amazon. Grabbed for $20 from Future Shop. Thanks to a nice Gaffer I got a good deal. They usually ship for release day but I received no notice and there was no holiday in Canada so they have no excuse. :/
I got mine in the mail from futureshop today! Weird. I wish they were more consistent.

I actually didn't order at Amazon. Grabbed for $20 from Future Shop. Thanks to a nice Gaffer I got a good deal. They usually ship for release day but I received no notice and there was no holiday in Canada so they have no excuse. :/

Oh ok. I thought you ordered from Amazon. my bad.

the3ye

I got mine in the mail from futureshop today! Weird. I wish they were more consistent.

They don't give pre-order bonus, right? Didn't get anything, expect the game.

Few minutes into gamplay. Looks like shi*, plays quite smooth. No screenshots...hmmm
Can't connect to PSN, though oO

Thank god I paid $4 for that...

Top Bottom