• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance Burning Skies |OT| Extinguishing the Flames of Vitality

I was going to go in on a deal where I can trade Splinter Cell HD Collection for this and now I'm thinking otherwise. Shame that a mediocre last gen upgrade is the better choice than this game.

wipeout, rayman, uncharted, and hot shots have made it worth it to me. no buyers remorse :)

Problem with those is I have much better versions on my PS3/360. And they all cost less than their Vita counterparts. I look to my handhelds to give me quality handheld experiences (ie. Lumines). The free RC car game was a nice addition, but the framerate kinda killed it for me after an hour or so.

edit - I also think Stardust is a better handheld game than console, so that's another game that gets some use. I love the hardware, but with the software situation as it is, I can understand why Sony is struggling. It wouldn't kill them to drop the price of the games. 40 for Rayman is a joke when the superior versions are less than 20 now. Ditto for Uncharted.

Massa

Problem with those is I have much better versions on my PS3/360. And they all cost less than their Vita counterparts. I look to my handhelds to give me quality handheld experiences (ie. Lumines). The free RC car game was a nice addition, but the framerate kinda killed it for me after an hour or so.

Of the games you quoted only Rayman is available on PS3/360.

Massa

Not sure why that matters. I included 360 because that's where I bought Rayman for 16.99.

Right. And the others are all original great games that can only be played on the Vita.

edit - I also think Stardust is a better handheld game than console, so that's another game that gets some use. I love the hardware, but with the software situation as it is, I can understand why Sony is struggling. It wouldn't kill them to drop the price of the games. 40 for Rayman is a joke when the superior versions are less than 20 now. Ditto for Uncharted.

That's like saying Uncharted 3 shouldn't have launched at full price because Uncharted 2 is a better game that was available (in 2011) for $20.

- J - D -

Well, there goes any any chance of Resistance being my first Vita game purchase in 3 months. Hold out for that Gravity Daze game.

Right. And the others are all original great games that can only be played on the Vita.

That's like saying Uncharted 3 shouldn't have launched at full price because Uncharted 2 is a better game that was available (in 2011) for $20.

Perhaps I have a problem with them because I don't in fact find them to be great iterations of a series of games that I've enjoyed far more on the PS3. And given they're almost double the price of their console counterparts, I see why they're not selling. Your 2nd point isn't worth the time it would take to address.

Well, there goes any any chance of Resistance being my first Vita game purchase in 3 months. Hold out for that Gravity Daze game.

Yeah, looking forward to trying GD.

Drakeon

Welp, too bad this game looks terrible. Figured it'd probably be bad with nihilistic's history of... mediocre games.

This game has beyond terrible pop in. It makes Resistance 2's infamous skyview of landscape look next-gen.

It won't even let you take in game screenshots. Even the developer's knew that would be a bad idea to allow.

Unit 13 is awesome.

Bummed about this. Sony should have known better. Resistance isn't COD, but it's a big franchise for them, and it's the first twin stick FPS - to release a piece of shit is stupid. It would be better to not release anything at all.

I own 29 vita games and I'm not going to buy this. Hopefully gamefly sends me a copy.

Ugh.

Welp, bummer, will buy Unit 13 then, was holding hoping this one turned out good...oh well.

I guess that eventually i´ll get Burning Skies too someday (at bomba price).

Sintoid

Preorder cancelled :(
I'm playing now Unit 13 and EG, that's enough good games until Gravity Rush and Metal Gear Collection ^_^

E3 please bring us great news

unit 13 is a tactical shooter? It seems to be your typical 3rd person shooter from what I played of the demo.

Yeah, Unit 13 definitely is not a tactical shooter. I mean, i guess against resistance or CoD it's *more* tactical. But it's not like it's the old Ghost Recons, ARMA or games of that nature. I mean it's frickin' high score chasing game with score multipliers and shit.

It's awesome fun. But it's not a tactical shooter.

Here's the thing about Unit 13 - to those jumping on that now. It starts off kinda easy - and then it gets really hard. But, inexplicably it gets easier again. Maybe it's because you're learning the game or maybe it's just uneven game design. But me and 3 of my friends all went through the same thing with the difficulty. So if/when it starts to feel overwhelming don't worry that the rest of the game will be like that.

Mario007

Sony should learn one thing, from reading the reviews, do NOT contract Nihlistic games to do anything ever again.

Actually that could be a more of a general lesson, don't go for B-tier game developers or at least don't give them your big franchises. You've got 16 studios (never mind the well tested 2nd party studios that you have a good relationship_ , some of which have more than 1 team, use them.

Really wanted to DD this game, but....... hopefully the demo convinces me. I wish they would throw us Elite PSN Plus gamers a game/discount or two. That would be awesome on a new release. I'm not sure I can justify $35 when it looks like it might be bargain bin material in a few short weeks. Ugh, what to do, I was looking for a Resistance game to scratch that itch.

I just wish they would have chosen the timeline between two and 3 as I think they would be a much better Vita game. Make it somber as fuck as the Chimara virtually wipe most of the planet. For some reason watching and SURVIVING that sounds fun as hell.

ReconPeon

Man, I read all of these reviews, and despite a lot of them being negative I bought this game. I'm so tired of having an expensive handheld that I dont use!

Man, I read all of these reviews, and despite a lot of them being negative I bought this game. I'm so tired of having an expensive handheld that I dont use!
i know that feeling, but just save that money, or spend it on the numerous good games that come out on other platforms =)

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
It's not often you see reviews for a game that span such a huge range of scores. I'm so confused.

Carl

It's not often you see reviews for a game that span such a huge range of scores. I'm so confused.

Part of the reason i haven't cancelled. If Destructoid can give it a 2 but other sites give it an 8 it can't be THAT bad. And i love Resistance anyway, so...

From what I've read, FPS and Resistance lovers who want an FPS on handheld would love it. Everyone else would dislike it for its not worth the price of admission. I'll wait for GAF review before I open my copy when it gets here.

Loudninja

Shikoro

In the destructoid review, he continuously compares the the game to the PS3 versions. That really doesn't seem fair to me. I noticed some people doing that for Golden Abyss reviews as well.
Reviewers will be doing that to every high profile Vita game that releases in the future. Stupid, but you can't forbid them to do so...

that's what drew me to this game, I love playing games on the Vita, but it's been collecting dust
I love posts like these. So you played all the 10+ great games the Vita has, plus another few dozen great PSP titles available from the PS Store? OK.

BTW, can someone tell me when does the junior tag go away? :p

Top Bottom