• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance Burning Skies |OT| Extinguishing the Flames of Vitality

Will switch accounts to check out the demo for sure. This isn't coming out in Japan until July, so I'll probably import it if I like it, review scores be damned.

So we have scores ranging from 2/10 - 8.5/10. Crazy

Not really, the recognizable gaming press is panning it, while a bunch of fan sites worried about getting their next review copy/Playstation focused mags are giving it the classic "this isn't very good, 7/10!" treatment. Par for the course with bad games.

AwRy108

Not really, the recognizable gaming press is panning it, while a bunch of fan sites worried about getting their next review copy/Playstation focused mags are giving it the classic "this isn't very good, 7/10!" treatment. Par for the course with bad games.

To play devil's advocate: maybe the fan sites aren't as worried about page clicks and/or falling in line with their competitors and/or seeming "badass" through the ability to pan an entry in a popular franchise.

Not defending the game because, well, I haven't played it; but maybe we shouldn't judge smaller sites without adequate merit to do so.

Cornbread78

Despite the reviews, I already paid for my copy, so I'll be picking it up at 10am when GS opens. Not a bad way to spend my morning break...

DSmalls84

I was really expecting 7s and 8s for this from the get go. I'm kind of on the fence now but I will probably still pick it up. I really liked Resistance 1 and 3 and even though the dev is different I want to give it a chance.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's a shame to see the game getting mostly panned across the board. Can't say I'm particularly surprised, however, as it has always looked rather poor in preview media. At least the framerate seems much smoother than it did when it was first shown.

Reviewers will be doing that to every high profile Vita game that releases in the future. Stupid, but you can't forbid them to do so...

I love posts like these. So you played all the 10+ great games the Vita has, plus another few dozen great PSP titles available from the PS Store? OK.

BTW, can someone tell me when does the junior tag go away? :p

Why shouldn't reviews of vita games compare to ps3? It's not like there are other fps's to compare to on vita. And these are "Console Experiences on a handheld" anyhow. Gravity Daze and some psn titles are so far the only games I can recall that aren't 'same genre spinoffs' or ports (with various degrees of compromise).

theBishop

Banned
Sony should learn one thing, from reading the reviews, do NOT contract Nihlistic games to do anything ever again.

Actually that could be a more of a general lesson, don't go for B-tier game developers or at least don't give them your big franchises. You've got 16 studios (never mind the well tested 2nd party studios that you have a good relationship_ , some of which have more than 1 team, use them.

Nihilistic isn't a B-team. They're a D-team.

Carl

CVG are a fan site worried about getting their next review copy?

Bloody christ, they haven't half gone downhill :p

I hate to say this but it looks like this will be the first Resistance game I pass on. As a pretty big fan of the series it really sucks when you find yourself not caring about the next game but at least I know Sony feels the same way.

Seems to be that the positive/average reviews are for the game generally praised for being the first FPS on a handheld and note deficiencies in certain aspects of the design but overlook them in favour of the ambition (for better or worse) of the game as a whole and the negative reviews are for it not being a PS3 game (which it was being touted as a similar experience) and the deficiencies being a more prominent (and justified) reason to lower the score.

Looking forward to it personally, don't get too caught up on the technical problems of a game to not enjoy it! Can't wait to see how Killzone is looking!

Varth

Not so sure about that.

Of course, enthusiastpress/moneyhat/trinkets/usualgafstuff, but I can understand in some measure the gap in scores. It's not a great game and misses by a mile what's good in the series (well, last two chapters also did), but on the other hand, it's a "real" (notice the ") fps on a portable console with proper controls. It's not really that difficult to understand why someone could judge it in a somewhat overentusiastic way.

Seems to be that the positive/average reviews are for the game generally praised for being the first FPS on a handheld and note deficiencies in certain aspects of the design but overlook them in favour of the ambition (for better or worse) of the game as a whole and the negative reviews are for it not being a PS3 game (which it was being touted as a similar experience) and the deficiencies being a more prominent (and justified) reason to lower the score.

Looking forward to it personally, don't get too caught up on the technical problems of a game to not enjoy it! Can't wait to see how Killzone is looking!

Yeah, I feel like we're getting a lot of "good first effort on the new handheld" reviews. Much like Unit 13, this will be forgotten when the Vita's library grows with much more ambitious titles.

Looking at some of the post launch Vita games, it seems odd that most of them are technically inferior to the launch titles. Was playing some of the FIFA Demo this morning and that looks a lot better than anything released since launch. And that's an EA quick port. Same goes for Virtua Tennis and Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. Both can be compared to their console counterparts without issue.

Uncharted: GA. an underrated title, is still my favorite game on the system. A bit slow out of the gate but a great Uncharted title that stands along side the console versions. Wipeout is also very impressive technically, even if it doesn't run at native res.

Mortal Kombat and MLB: The Show have been the most impressive titles since, and they still disappointed quite a bit graphically.

The launch may have been port heavy but I thought it did a great job of showcasing what the Vita was capable of. I don't see any of that with Resistance. I probably wouldn't be picking it up if I wasn't getting it for $20.

As for reviewing against the console versions. In the case of Vita, I think this isn't an issue. Like I said, we've seen ports that show the Vita is capable of creating a comparable experience to the console version. Sony sells it as a console experience in your hand. It should absolutely be graded against console games.

LBP Vita is apparently on par with LBP2. That says a lot.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wipeout is also very impressive technically, even if it doesn't run at native res.
Wipeout DOES run at native resolution most of the time (I think some minor resolution scaling occurs ala Wipeout HD when things become too hectic).

ReconPeon

Does anyone else get the "resistance burning skies requires a nat 2 connection" error when the try multiplayer?

For some reason my vita will only pick up nat 3 and its driving me crazy

therapist

pre-ordered this to save 5$ ... will be returning without opening after seeing these reviews.

What a shame , vita still needs a proper shooter :/
(Unit 13 is pretty good but its not a proper shooter)

KalBalboa

Banned
I think it's likely time for this franchise to take a vacation. Even its best efforts (Resistance 3) are met with minor fanfare despite being great entries for the genre, and games like Burning Skies aren't doing it any favors.

Retribution, Fall of Man, and Resistance 3 will be remember fondly if they aren't sullied to much by this sort of thing.

spats

I think it's likely time for this franchise to take a vacation. Even its best efforts (Resistance 3) are met with minor fanfare despite being great entries for the genre, and games like Burning Skies aren't doing it any favors.

Retribution, Fall of Man, and Resistance 3 will be remember fondly if they aren't sullied to much by this sort of thing.

I think the fact that they handed it to Nihilistic kinda showed that the franchise was on its way out anyway.

Permanently.

kassatsu

Banned
Playing some more MP now, when I am not getting Room connection failures and actually playing it is hit or miss. Sometimes the players are bullet sponges and sometimes they aren't. Grenades seem to do nothing.

I dunno if it is lag that is causing it or not.

=\

Going to play for another hour or so before I finish my review.

Shikoro

Does anyone else get the "resistance burning skies requires a nat 2 connection" error when the try multiplayer?

For some reason my vita will only pick up nat 3 and its driving me crazy
It's not Vita's fault, it's your router's. You have to either port forward or create a DMZ.

I haven't heard of any game for any system that couldn't play on NAT 3.
I can't play Unit 13 with NAT Type 3, but with another router which has Type 2 it works like a charm.

VanWinkle

Been playing for about an hour. Eh, I think it's pretty good personally. Not remotely uncharted golden abyss good, but pretty good. My brother, who hates handhelds, said it was awesome.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I'm a massive fan of the franchise, even enjoyed R2 but I don't think I'll be picking this up, it's a dam shame Insomniac couldn't of done a portable Resistance, even a port of RFoM would of been better than this it seems, still, I'll give the demo a go.

theBishop

Banned
I'm a fan of Resistance, and I want a new full-budget experience on Vita. But I don't know if I can support this game at launch. It feels like sending the wrong message.

DSmalls84

It would be great if some of you guys could post some impressions. I haven't gone to pick up my preorder yet because I'm not sure if I am going to cancel it or not.

Apath

Still waiting on that demo to see how it controls. If things go okay, I'll pick it up later this evening. We should get a list together of people who have the game so we can play multiplayer together. I kind of feel it's going to be pretty barren online..

What a shame.

Thankfully I got Chess and Gravity Rush Demo to tie me over till Gravity Rush comes out :/
The Gravity Rush demo is out?

okay, picked this up and played a little single player

controls? well, so far i like the shooting in this much better than in uncharted, seems a lot tighter (although there is no gyro tweaking). as for the sprint, there's a sprint indicator at the bottom of the screen, it starts flashing when you're about to run out of stamina or whatever - sprint in this game is just dashing from cover to cover so far, so i haven't run out yet. i don't think you're meant to just run everywhere all the time. touch stuff - well, it works okay with grenades and such, tagging enemies with the bullseye is a bit annoying, and i can never get the back touch for sprint to work correctly (but you can just press down on the d-pad for that). i like the cover system, works well enough.

graphics? well, they look okay to me. the first ps3 resistance looked like an upscaled ps2 game in parts, and so does this. doors and stuff look shitty up close, cars look like props with hexagonal wheels, dead bodies look like mannequins and then disappear - just like the first game. defintely not as pretty as uncharted, but uncharted was 95% jungle leaves and rocks.

story? who gives a shit. it's a resistance game, they always cram all the exposition into those comic book cutscenes anyway. there is some incidental dialogue as you work your way through, but really it's just a dude trying to get to his family during an alien invasion, and that's about it.

haven't been able to get into a multiplayer match yet, keeps timing out. when it times out it boots you back to the main menu and rechecks your online pass. that's fucking annoying. i'll be mighty pissed if this continues to be a problem.

I picked it up this morning. I'll play it on the train ride home. Such a shame they didn't give this game the treatment it deserved, but if I can find fun in NOVA on my iphone, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy this.

It's just for 8 times the price, I'd expect higher production values. Getting GOOD games out on the Vita is vital to its long term health. It would have been better if they delayed it and cleaned the game up.

I wonder if they could patch up some of the reported issues with the game....

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Still waiting on that demo to see how it controls. If things go okay, I'll pick it up later this evening. We should get a list together of people who have the game so we can play multiplayer together. I kind of feel it's going to be pretty barren online..

The Gravity Rush demo is out?

Out later today. Probably just the one thats been in the kiosk since launch but I'll play through it again.

Had this arrive at work today and I popped it in a little earlier, enjoying what I played so far (not far in so don't take what I write too seriously)

Graphics look great, feels like a Resistance game, some of the touch screen stuff is iffy but for the most part it controls really well. Gonna see if I can hope on some online matches from work :)

Do you guys think the game will be 39.99$ on the psn store or 35.99$ as some games happen to be cheaper when you buy them digitally.

Top Bottom