• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resonance of Fate |OT| John Woo RPG Action and Small Racks

Dunan

That's encouraging news. Mine's been in my backlog for seven months now -- I keep meaning to start it and I keep getting distracted.

Mikhal

Leviathin25 said:
I played the game for 47 hours and just yesterday noticed there was a second FMV on the title screen. Ughh. They should have played that one first.
I feel ya. Took me a long time to find out there was a 2nd cutscene too...

Ra1den

What the hell, the price at the 'Zon on the PS3 version is up over 30 bucks now. I should have snagged it when it was $20.

Hypereides

Gold Member
I love this game. Thats all.

Okay, I lied, just wanna say that if Sega doesnt commision or sign for a Sequel I will be disappoint. This is truely one of the most original JRPGs this gen thus far. Ergo they can go fuck themselves.

Also I love how its so remiscent of the good old school RPGs with the fixed angles and wild exploration.

This is what FF series have lost.

eshwaaz

Picked this up last weekend on a whim for $15. I've never been a JRPG fan, but I'd always been intrigued by this one. There's a lot about it that I find really appealing and potentially enjoyable, but I am just getting my ass kicked.

I played through all of the training in the arena, and am doing every side quest. I'm currently at the power station in Chapter 2, and the Machinegun Gears are causing me huge problems. I'm at an area with 3 Gears and multiple Stray Curs, and I've tried every approach I can think of, but I don't seem to get any closer to success after many, many attempts.

I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere in the thread, but I've no idea where to start looking. Can anyone give me some advice? I really want to enjoy this game!

shiroryu

eshwaaz said:
Picked this up last weekend on a whim for $15. I've never been a JRPG fan, but I'd always been intrigued by this one. There's a lot about it that I find really appealing and potentially enjoyable, but I am just getting my ass kicked.

I played through all of the training in the arena, and am doing every side quest. I'm currently at the power station in Chapter 2, and the Machinegun Gears are causing me huge problems. I'm at an area with 3 Gears and multiple Stray Curs, and I've tried every approach I can think of, but I don't seem to get any closer to success after many, many attempts.

I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere in the thread, but I've no idea where to start looking. Can anyone give me some advice? I really want to enjoy this game!

Need more info on your characters and their setups. What levels are they? Have you customized your guns with whatever you've got? What strategy are you using to take the gears out?

For this particular battle, yes, it's tougher than normal because you can't use tri-attacks in the cramped spaces with bunkers. However, that's why you have drum cans and the Curs...target the cans with a handgun user when the Gears are close to one. The Curs die in one jumping MG scratch and one HG hit, so they can be used to refill your bezels when you run low. You can use the bunkers to protect some of your characters from fire, though the Gears will quickly flank whoever they're targeting.

So basically, MG jumping hero run, scratch a Gear, and a Cur in the same run. Then have an HG hero run, kill the Cur, and destroy a Gear part. When a Gear(s) approaches the first bunker, destroy the Drum Cans for free AoE damage. Don't make the mistake of taking out all the Curs first; use them as bezel replenishment.

Edit: and yeah, use Metal Coated rounds, available from the Tinkerer at the shop, and equip to MG. They'll serve you well against the Gears and the subsequent boss.

Can not finish this game. Bought it for PS3 recently and Xbox the day it came out. Couldn't beat either. Made it to like chapter 12 ?

Combat is WAYYYYY to repetitive. Move left character right, Right character left. Middle character initiates tri-attack. Repeat. The same exact thing for every battle. Character customization while basic is pretty cool, about the only thing in this game that doesn't get boring. The music seems totally un-inspired, the story had horrid pacing and ... Yeah.

I tried super hard to like the game, I BOUGHT IT TWICE for Christmas sakes.

eshwaaz

shiroryu said:
Need more info on your characters and their setups. What levels are they? Have you customized your guns with whatever you've got? What strategy are you using to take the gears out?

For this particular battle, yes, it's tougher than normal because you can't use tri-attacks in the cramped spaces with bunkers. However, that's why you have drum cans and the Curs...target the cans with a handgun user when the Gears are close to one. The Curs die in one jumping MG scratch and one HG hit, so they can be used to refill your bezels when you run low. You can use the bunkers to protect some of your characters from fire, though the Gears will quickly flank whoever they're targeting.

So basically, MG jumping hero run, scratch a Gear, and a Cur in the same run. Then have an HG hero run, kill the Cur, and destroy a Gear part. When a Gear(s) approaches the first bunker, destroy the Drum Cans for free AoE damage. Don't make the mistake of taking out all the Curs first; use them as bezel replenishment.

Edit: and yeah, use Metal Coated rounds, available from the Tinkerer at the shop, and equip to MG. They'll serve you well against the Gears and the subsequent boss.
Thanks much for the detailed reply. I'm away from my 360 right now, so I can't tell you my exact character levels or equipment. I've tried more or less the strategy you suggested, but your specifics (like the metal coated rounds) should help. Maybe I just plain suck at this game...

eshwaaz

Okay, here are my stats:
Vashyron:
Lv 8
1191 .45 auto
Compact scope
HG high barrel
HG magazine +2

Zephyr:
Lv 8
SMG-05
Compact scope
MG rookie barrel
Rookie grip
MG rookie magazine

Leanne:
Lv 8
B-N84
Compact scope
HG rookie barrel
Rookie grip
HG rookie magazine

About to try that battle again, this time stocked with metal coated rounds.

shiroryu

eshwaaz said:
Okay, here are my stats:
Vashyron:
Lv 8
1191 .45 auto
Compact scope
HG high barrel
HG magazine +2

Zephyr:
Lv 8
SMG-05
Compact scope
MG rookie barrel
Rookie grip
MG rookie magazine

Leanne:
Lv 8
B-N84
Compact scope
HG rookie barrel
Rookie grip
HG rookie magazine

About to try that battle again, this time stocked with metal coated rounds.

You've not customized your guns fully. By that point I had two compact scopes each aboard two guns, except for one handgun that only has one scope slot. Make top sights from the tinkerer- they allow you to attach a compact scope beta/alpha on top of them.

You've also been using rookie components-look into the tinkerer and upgrade the barrels to high barrels or use a combination of Sub-Barrel and Extender Barrel for both your MG and HGs.

This helps a lot as it increases your charge speed and acceleration, getting more damage out by being able to shoot faster. Gun customization is vital in this game-helps you shoot faster. Check out GameFAQs, there's detailed guides there. Experiment.

Level-wise, again, I was level 11-12 when I did this; but RoF isn't as sensitive to levels. Have you completed all the Arena battles for the chapter?

eshwaaz

shiroryu said:
You've not customized your guns fully. By that point I had two compact scopes each aboard two guns, except for one handgun that only has one scope slot. Make top sights from the tinkerer- they allow you to attach a compact scope beta/alpha on top of them.

You've also been using rookie components-look into the tinkerer and upgrade the barrels to high barrels or use a combination of Sub-Barrel and Extender Barrel for both your MG and HGs.

This helps a lot as it increases your charge speed and acceleration, getting more damage out by being able to shoot faster. Gun customization is vital in this game-helps you shoot faster. Check out GameFAQs, there's detailed guides there. Experiment.

Level-wise, again, I was level 11-12 when I did this; but RoF isn't as sensitive to levels. Have you completed all the Arena battles for the chapter?
I've been visiting the tinkerer regularly and have been buying pretty much anything that isn't grayed out. Is so much unavailable because I don't have the right materials? I'll check out GameFAQs as you suggested.

I've not completed all of the Arena battles - I'm in the 4th tier now, and it's getting challenging. I'm started to feel really underpowered overall in this game.

How many bezels did you have at this point? How do I earn more?

Thanks again for the help; much appreciated.

shiroryu

eshwaaz said:
I've been visiting the tinkerer regularly and have been buying pretty much anything that isn't grayed out. Is so much unavailable because I don't have the right materials? I'll check out GameFAQs as you suggested.

I've not completed all of the Arena battles - I'm in the 4th tier now, and it's getting challenging. I'm started to feel really underpowered overall in this game.

How many bezels did you have at this point? How do I earn more?

Thanks again for the help; much appreciated.

Yeah, the problem is that grayed out items need some raw materials like scrap iron to work. There's a scrapper in the same shop; you can dismantle items you don't need, like the Scrapped Machinegun MQ the Gears drop in the first dungeon room. Then go to the tinkerer and make them.

Completing the Arena, all 5 levels, obviously helps, and if you're being challenged by the Gremlins in Level 4 of the arena, which can be killed by simple stand-and-shoot tactics, you're underpowered, yeah...but it's because of the customization rather than levels IMO. I always try to finish all arena battles for a chapter in the same chapter, because it can get tedious later on, and because it tends to make the boss fights challenging rather than frustratingly difficult.

Don't worry about bezels - the game's very slow to give them out at the start, you'll get more midgame. I just finished Ch. 2 myself and have 3 bezels and a 3/4th one. Each boss drops a bezel shard, and you also get one by uncovering a tile on Level 4 - the level where Lucia is. Again, GameFAQs is your friend :)

Don't give up too easily on this game, and complete the Arena battles - it'll help.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The ability Gaffers have of bumping old threads of games I've just started playing while very lttp is staggering.

Zee-Row

Banned
My friend let me borrow this game and I kinda don't like the battle system very much. Mainly because there's too much shit to understand. I've spent 30 minutes already trying to figure out how to do a tri-attack on the tutorial.

eshwaaz

shiroryu said:
Yeah, the problem is that grayed out items need some raw materials like scrap iron to work. There's a scrapper in the same shop; you can dismantle items you don't need, like the Scrapped Machinegun MQ the Gears drop in the first dungeon room. Then go to the tinkerer and make them.

Completing the Arena, all 5 levels, obviously helps, and if you're being challenged by the Gremlins in Level 4 of the arena, which can be killed by simple stand-and-shoot tactics, you're underpowered, yeah...but it's because of the customization rather than levels IMO. I always try to finish all arena battles for a chapter in the same chapter, because it can get tedious later on, and because it tends to make the boss fights challenging rather than frustratingly difficult.

Don't worry about bezels - the game's very slow to give them out at the start, you'll get more midgame. I just finished Ch. 2 myself and have 3 bezels and a 3/4th one. Each boss drops a bezel shard, and you also get one by uncovering a tile on Level 4 - the level where Lucia is. Again, GameFAQs is your friend :)

Don't give up too easily on this game, and complete the Arena battles - it'll help.
You were absolutely dead-on about weapon customization - my set-up was woefully inadequate. I followed your advice, and it worked beatifully - I finally beat the next-to-last area in the power station, and the boss went down in one try with heavy use of tri-attacks. Very, very satisfying.

Thanks again, shiroryu. I may be pinging you again next time I'm stuck!

Varshes

I just wanted to say I friggin' love Motoi Sakuraba's battle tracks in this game, my most-listened to album since its release by FAR. Prog goodness.

shiroryu

eshwaaz said:
You were absolutely dead-on about weapon customization - my set-up was woefully inadequate. I followed your advice, and it worked beatifully - I finally beat the next-to-last area in the power station, and the boss went down in one try with heavy use of tri-attacks. Very, very satisfying.

Thanks again, shiroryu. I may be pinging you again next time I'm stuck!
Great to hear it. Took me two tries lol.

I do have quite a backlog to get through..am also playing Valkyria Chronicles and Dynasty Warriors, so you will probably end up ahead of me. :)

It's been more than a year since I last touched the game.
But for those that are having trouble (mid-game and on), consider upgrading ur handgun(or even focus most of your resource here).

Sometimes (on tougher/multiple-enemy fight), I like to lead off with my HG hero first(or even do two+ consecutive HG action), just to Gauge-Break & Stun multiple(/every) targets. That creates time for my two remaining characters, which could then just focus on dealing scratch damage.

Think the game/battle would be a lot easier this way, since you don't have to worry about receiving damage or running out of bezel shards.

Bought this a couple days ago and I'm having a blast. The characters interactions seem genuinely interesting and funny in FMVs. But the battle system has a tendency to royally kick my ass sometimes. There's a lot to explore in the game I have to say, from obsessively uncovering hexes to the arena. A lot of fun so far. I'm just about to enter the forest of idols.

Dunan

Finally started this game yesterday and am liking it now that the frustration is gone, somewhat.

I too fell victim to losing the first random battle because they sprung one on me before I had any chance to go to the arena or see any tutorials. The Arena should have been directly connected to your base's city!

Also spent more than 30 minutes trying to chain together Hero Actions and finally pulling off a Tri-Attack. In that tutorial battle, I pulled off 350 hits in a row while waiting for those targets to respawn so that I could refill my bezels. No reward for all those hits!? ^^;

Now that I know how to play, this is becoming fun. I love the atmosphere!

shiroryu

Dunan said:
I too fell victim to losing the first random battle because they sprung one on me before I had any chance to go to the arena or see any tutorials. The Arena should have been directly connected to your base's city!

Now that I know how to play, this is becoming fun. I love the atmosphere!

Yeah, I fell into a random battle while looking for the Arena as well. Died because the gunners were always shooting the current character and interrupting him/her. Reloaded, waited for sunrise, and made a beeline for the Arena :lol.

My only gripe with the game is that it doesn't ease players into the action; it even throws all the mechanics at you upfront, which is overwhelming unless you have guides handy. Which is annoying because I like to figure out games myself. It's really the anti-Final Fantasy XIII.

The atmosphere is top notch though. Just finished Chapter 3 in the Forest of Idols yesterday, and the music is awesome as well - it's still running through my head.

cj_iwakura

I just started Chapter 6, and I'm not sure if I love the drip-feeding of the story, or loathe it.

Leaning towards the former.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Gvaz said:
That's it? Xenosaga was like eight hours.
The difference here is that Resonance of Fate story sucks ass and should be less than 2 hours while Xenosaga story is fucking amazing and deserves all eight hours.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Yoshichan said:
The difference here is that Resonance of Fate story sucks ass and should be less than 2 hours while Xenosaga story is fucking amazing and deserves all eight hours.

Xenosaga story being amazing its debatable. It was as snore fest for me because it was too much cyber saliva IMO but that it was a good story it was if we cut the crap. Also the sequels take part of the actual good story from 1. 3 is good ,2 was mehish.

I liked Resonance of Fate but I know the story writing isn't something great and rarely understandable to most people. The story begins showing how usually the characters are before taking the main storyline which leads to like the cast. Yes its ton of filler but it makes you sympathize more with the cast since you get to know them a bit better with that filler, then later on enter the storyline like at chapter 9 or 10 which are pretty good. The ending I expected more to happen so I give that the ending could have been better.

It feels kinda Cowboy Bebop in terms of story but obviously not as well written.

Filler slowly leads on to the main story which is near the later episodes. This way we get to know characters and environments before the events of the real motives of the storyline.

The story IMO is a love it or hate it thing. I liked it pretty much but I can understand how people might dislike it.

cj_iwakura

The 12 hours I've put into RoF is more intriguing than the 90+ I put into the Xenosaga trilogy.'

It ended strong, but the first two games went nowhere.

cj_iwakura

May as well ask: I'm trying to get the Luxury Meat for a Chapter 10(?) quest and at my wits end. How do you get the monsters to drop it? I'm pretty sure I'm going after the right ones(in Lucia).

shiroryu

demosthenes said:
Ok, I'm getting my ass handed to me buy the first boss (on the way to Lucia), what the eff. Difficulty spike or am I just play stupid?
Bosses are difficult by default, so it's a difficulty spike. (don't understand Way to Lucia, though.) I assume you're fighting the Tar Man? Take out drum carriers, use bunkers to hide people taking too much damage, use Tri-Attacks.

cj_iwakura said:
May as well ask: I'm trying to get the Luxury Meat for a Chapter 10(?) quest and at my wits end. How do you get the monsters to drop it? I'm pretty sure I'm going after the right ones(in Lucia).
Am not upto that point in the game, but GameFAQs thread says you should be killing Wrecking Baller, and that if you have enough blue hexes you can connect the Drop x2 and rare item terminals to the dungeon. Hope this helps.

cj_iwakura said:
I remember having trouble with this sidequest and it turned out I was looking for the item in the wrong place.

Vally

Is that the sidequest in which a girl asks you to find food for her dog or something? I remember that being the only quest I gave up on; most likely I was doing something wrong but couldn't get the goddamn Luxury meat no matter how much I tried.

I thought it was just chaining the colored hexes to ensure maximum benefits in the area and then just repetitiously battling and getting them to drop tons of items from being stuck in the air.

The only reason I beat this game is because I somehow glitched the game, I got three of the game's biggest/hardest bosses to stand there and literally do nothing as long as I kept my characters standing still. I abused this to fill its hp bar with scratch damage then decimated it. That happened three times in the same playthrough, I really lucked out.

demosthenes said:
Alright, I figured out the battle stuff for the most part. Still learning the smackdown and bonus shots though.

BUT, I've looked online a lot and I see customizations where the people have moved their guns in the blue print screen. How do you do this @.@

Ex: http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/8819/sgb226ca.jpg

Not my image, so sorry for image shack :p

Holy shit, I have to try that...althought getting all the components may require some time.

Anyway, If I'm not wrong you can move the gun with the right stick,when selecting the gun you want to customize, not after seeing the custom parts list...I think you cannot have anything attached on it, though.

Relaxed Muscle said:
Holy shit, I have to try that...althought getting all the components may require some time.

Anyway, If I'm not wrong you can move the gun with the right stick,when selecting the gun you want to customize, not after seeing the custom parts list...I think you cannot have anything attached on it, though.

Not working unless I'm doing something wrong D: Trying before picking hte gun and it's naked.

shiroryu

demosthenes said:
Not working unless I'm doing something wrong D: Trying before picking hte gun and it's naked.
You don't have to have it naked, I think. You move the gun around the grid( with any components attached to it) with the right analog stick. I think you need to not have any components selected in the menu on the left when doing so, though.

Top Bottom