• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resonance of Fate |OT| John Woo RPG Action and Small Racks

Calcaneus

Got this game yesterday, the first console JRPG I've played since Final Fantasy XII. I'm liking it well enough so far, about 2 hours in. I was happy to see the gameplay started right away, no 30 minute intro or anything. Not much story stuff going on yet, but I guess they'll come later.

The battles are really fun, still getting the hang of things even after going through the tutorial.

Should I be worried about skipping non-story missions? Like am I gonna miss out on some important items or anything?

dramatis

Calcaneus said:
Should I be worried about skipping non-story missions? Like am I gonna miss out on some important items or anything?
No, but some side missions provide nice gun parts without you needing to tinker for them (I think).

Calcaneus

dramatis said:
No, but some side missions provide nice gun parts without you needing to tinker for them (I think).
Cool. I don't have all the time in the world right now, so I don't see myself doing every side mission this time through.

Just finished my first run through.

Didn't know the game was ending there and what the fk at the ending.

I mean seriously, what in the hell happened?

bon

I've been stuck for a long time. Maybe GAF can help me get unstuck.

I'm on chapter 8, where
Leanne is gone
and I'm having a lot of trouble with the enemies. Even common enemies are stopping me in my tracks. I have Vash at level 23 and Zephyr at 24. Am I underleveled? Or do I need to customize my guns more? Has some basic thing gone over my head? I feel really underpowered.

I don't want to spend a lot of time leveling up
without Leanne

bon said:
I've been stuck for a long time. Maybe GAF can help me get unstuck.

I'm on chapter 8, where
Leanne is gone
and I'm having a lot of trouble with the enemies. Even common enemies are stopping me in my tracks. I have Vash at level 23 and Zephyr at 24. Am I underleveled? Or do I need to customize my guns more? Has some basic thing gone over my head? I feel really underpowered.

I don't want to spend a lot of time leveling up
without Leanne

You shouldnt level at all. I would improve your guns or dual wield. Should have dual-wield as soon as possible.

bon

Dedication Through Light said:
You shouldnt level at all. I would improve your guns or dual wield. Should have dual-wield as soon as possible.
My machine guns are too heavy to dual wield. Is it worth it to dual wield handguns?

EDIT: wait, I forgot to take the custom stuff off the machineguns. Vashyron can just barely dual wield them, but I have to take off his accessories and he's only MG level 1.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So I just picked this up... don't really know what to think yet. Only about an hour in and stuck on the tutorial lol. Some triangle attack thing I can't figure out. But I was pretty tired while playing and it was late.

I have to say though the story makes no fucking sense, at all, in the beginning. I mean I'm completely confused. I just keep saying to myself, "Uh.... Okaaaaay?"

Game sure is pretty though. Looking forward to getting into it. Will probably be back here often for help. haha.

TGMIII

Evolved1 said:
So I just picked this up... don't really know what to think yet. Only about an hour in and stuck on the tutorial lol. Some triangle attack thing I can't figure out. But I was pretty tired while playing and it was late.

I have to say though the story makes no fucking sense, at all, in the beginning. I mean I'm completely confused. I just keep saying to myself, "Uh.... Okaaaaay?"

Game sure is pretty though. Looking forward to getting into it. Will probably be back here often for help. haha.

I found myself not being 100% sure on the system but once I fully realised how the system worked and what was possible I had a "SHIT JUST GOT REAL" moment.

shiroryu

Evolved1 said:

It's one of the best combat systems in RPGs bar none IMO. Unfortunately the game doesn't do the best job of explaining it, and because the game shows all its combat cards up front - the anti-Final Fantasy XIII - the latter half tends to suffer a bit.

creid

So I see today that the 360 version of this is cheap on Newegg, deciding which version I want. Does this game heavily use the dpad? I think it's the only thing that would tip me towards the PS3 version instead.

jcm

So I see today that the 360 version of this is cheap on Newegg, deciding which version I want. Does this game heavily use the dpad? I think it's the only thing that would tip me towards the PS3 version instead.

The D-pad is used during battle to switch targets. I don't think it's used so heavily that I would let it deter me from buying the cheaper 360 version, though. I think you should go for it. It's a fun game.

Sorry for the bump but i am getting crazy over tri attack or whatever it is. I am on tutorial, trying to do it to complete that part. I just can't do it. What am i doing wrong?

duckroll

Sorry for the bump but i am getting crazy over tri attack or whatever it is. I am on tutorial, trying to do it to complete that part. I just can't do it. What am i doing wrong?

Build resonance by making sure that each move a character makes runs through the line connecting the other two characters. When you have enough resonance you can pull off a tri-attack.

Build resonance by making sure that each move a character makes runs through the line connecting the other two characters. When you have enough resonance you can pull off a tri-attack.

Oh okay, thank you very much. I thought one resonance was enough so i was trying to do tri-attack that way and with every attack i was losing that one resonance.

duckroll

Oh okay, thank you very much. I thought one resonance was enough so i was trying to do tri-attack that way and with every attack i was losing that one resonance.

No problem. The game has very interesting and well designed systems, but unfortunately the tutorials and the explanations for the systems really fall short. Don't feel bad if you fail to understand how things work initially, because they're poorly explained. I had a great time with the game after understanding the systems and experimenting with how you can influence them though. :)

No problem. The game has very interesting and well designed systems, but unfortunately the tutorials and the explanations for the systems really fall short. Don't feel bad if you fail to understand how things work initially, because they're poorly explained. I had a great time with the game after understanding the systems and experimenting with how you can influence them though. :)

I really like the setting of the game. Also as you said combat feels interesting and fun. I passed the tutorial thanks to you. The game seems to be one of the underrated gems of this gen like Binary Domain.

Curufinwe

I'm thinking of getting this thru Games on Demand since it's $24.99 there, not much more than the current price on Amazon. And having such a long game on the 360 hard drive would be convenient.

Alucrid

Banned
I just got this game and am still confused about the battle system, even after reading it and doing the arena tutorials. So, is there any reason why I shouldn't use hero attacks during easy battles where I can pretty much kill a leader in one hero attack? Do you ever really use normal attacks that much?

I just got this game and am still confused about the battle system, even after reading it and doing the arena tutorials. So, is there any reason why I shouldn't use hero attacks during easy battles where I can pretty much kill a leader in one hero attack? Do you ever really use normal attacks that much?

I ended up learning the system by just doing the arena battles (real ones) over time and learning from mistakes.

You would do normal runs to set up for higher chains of the hero runs.

Alucrid

Banned
Okay, after watching a few videos and playing some more I'm feeling more comfortable with this. Can anyone explain something about the tri-attack system though? How does the character you control when you start it factor in? I noticed that whenever I did one after the character I was controlling finished firing their shots it would switch to another one, then back to the first, then second, etc. etc. Is this something that's just automatic or can you control it somehow?

After almost two years I finally completed the arena and got my plat. What complete garbage that was. I feel like a lesser person now.

c2qwnkku5zhrtqgd3.png

After almost two years I finally completed the arena and got my plat. What complete garbage that was. I feel like a lesser person now.

As someone who is thinking about going for the platinum, I find this not encouraging in the least. Looking at the trophy list the only thing I'm worried about is Neverland. I haven't peeked inside that place yet, at all, so I don't really know what's going on there.

Neverland is pretty fun. It's a bunch of super strong enemies and a good opportunity to max out your weapon levels. It's pretty mindless and there's no great payoff, but as soon as you get 100% Full Scratch Damage it's naturally not difficult at all.

The arena on the other hand is just 20 hours of terribly boring and sometimes tedious battles. You better prepare yourself with some podcasts if you really wanna tackle it.

The arena on the other hand is just 20 hours of terribly boring and sometimes tedious battles. You better prepare yourself with some podcasts if you really wanna tackle it.

Equipped with podcasts is how I've played the entire game so far. I occasionally pop into the arena for some random battles anyway and I can totally see it getting boring if you do too many of them in a row. Considering I'm already up to 25-x'ish without actually trying for the trophy yet, I think I'll be okay.

Well, good luck then. 500 battles are no joke, don't underestimate it. And shame on you for not listening to the games' music. It's really good! :p

Alucrid

Banned
Oh yeah, not sure how much I want to do the arena. I already grinded out 18 levels of star rankings and the next 32 are looking abysmal. The worst is when they have a ton of enemies, so time consuming. That said with items like the EXP trainer is that applied to the party or just the person wearing it?

Jhoan

Oh yeah, not sure how much I want to do the arena. I already grinded out 18 levels of star rankings and the next 32 are looking abysmal. The worst is when they have a ton of enemies, so time consuming. That said with items like the EXP trainer is that applied to the party or just the person wearing it?

Just to the person that's wearing it; it would have made the game too easy if it applied to the party.

Good luck grinding through the arena battles; getting a star in each rank was by far the most monotonous achievement to do in the game (I got 1000/1000). The battles are so repetitive to the point where you internalize building up doing Hero Actions, building Resonance points, and doing Tr-Attacks in every battle. But at least you'll be leveling up in the process and getting coins.

Neverland was pretty tough but it was so worth it for the gold guns; they made the game too easy especially on NG+. Vashyron is hands down one of my favorite characters this gen; he's arguably one of the best written (and translated) JRPG characters.

I seriously love this game even after finally playing Blue Dragon which my brother got a few days ago. Blue Dragon is a good game in its own right, but Resonance of Fate's combat is extremely refreshing and fast.

Do the tutorials in the arena and don't be discouraged if you don't fully 'get' the game in the first couple hours. That's just the kind of game it is.

Do the tutorials in the arena and don't be discouraged if you don't fully 'get' the game in the first couple hours. That's just the kind of game it is.

I played it a little bit, and did the arena tutorial : the combat system looks flashy AND tactical,

I think I'm going to like this game, based on the battles alone.
Okay, I also bought it because of the infamous "All we have are raisins" scene.

The thing to keep in mind is that gun customization is way more important than you'd think. There was a point where a dungeon was way too hard for me, I spent a while switching out parts on my guns and just like that I was suddenly overpowered for the dungeon.

Hmmm is it me or the battles basically boil down to "Heroic action -> Scratch damage -> Normal damage -> Triple Combo -> Win" ?

Also, do the characters unlock/wield machine guns later in the game ? I personally would have made my party 2 SMG & 1 pistol instead of 1 SMG + 2 pistols.

Hmmm is it me or the battles basically boil down to "Heroic action -> Scratch damage -> Normal damage -> Triple Combo -> Win" ?

Also, do the characters unlock/wield machine guns later in the game ? I personally would have made my party 2 SMG & 1 pistol instead of 1 SMG + 2 pistols.

1) Yup. That's what the battles boil down to. Then you get comfortable thinking that this game isn't that hard at all, and then suddenly fighting like you said will get your ass kicked. Have you fought a boss yet?

2) Totally man, I wanted 2 SMGs & 1 pistol as well, and yes, you can totally do that a little later.

1) Yup. That's what the battles boil down to. Then you get comfortable thinking that this game isn't that hard at all, and then suddenly fighting like you said will get your ass kicked. Have you fought a boss yet?
I'm in Chapter 3 or 4 (the one were you have to go
to the forest in order to retrieve a woman mannequin
) and I've had a little trouble against
the Tesla Tortoise, which was giving me a hard time electrifying my characters. Then I just performed heroic actions with Zephyr (scratch damage) and then proceeded to spam grenades with Vashyron, with Triple actions in order to renew the scratch damage. The boss didn't even last 2 minutes
).

The game is pretty repetitive and I personally thought there was only one difficulty spike near the beginning of the game and another one at the end. Everything else was pretty easy, but I still had a lot of fun completing the game and abusing the battle system.

I'm in Chapter 3 or 4 (the one were you have to go
to the forest in order to retrieve a woman mannequin
) and I've had a little trouble against
the Tesla Tortoise, which was giving me a hard time electrifying my characters. Then I just performed heroic actions with Zephyr (scratch damage) and then proceeded to spam grenades with Vashyron, with Triple actions in order to renew the scratch damage. The boss didn't even last 2 minutes
).

If the electro-turtle didn't bother you that much, then you should be fine. Game kind of maintains its level of trickiness (with a spike near the end as mr slaughterking above me said), as long as you keep up with the mechanics. For example later on you may find the game getting too hard, but that will just be because you haven't customized your weapons properly or are using the wrong ammo or whatever.

Curufinwe

I got up to the start of Chapter 6 with my characters around level 26 but that's a good five levels too low to comfortably dual wield so I've been grinding for a hour already before starting on the Chapter 6 missions.

Having the IGN guide on my iPhone really helps when I don't know where to go or what to do. I recommend it.

Souplak

Am I doing something wrong here? I got stuck at the ch 1 boss and now the ch 2 boss. Im using heroic actions and granades but still even normal tough enemies kill me now and then. Im currently lvl 13 and it fells like it takes forever to go up even 1 lvl. Am I missing something or is the game this hard?

I like the setting but there is barely any story at all. And frankly im not haveing any fun playing this game.

Curufinwe

Try going into the arena and have each character use the other type of gun for a while. This is an easy way to rack up some quick levels and put the odds in your favor in the real battles. And make sure you are customizing your weapons as much as possible to improve their stats.

If the random battles are getting you down there's an accessory you can buy at the Arena for only 100 copper coins called the Strong Man's Bangle which basically turns them off. Don't skip any quests since you might miss out on very useful rewards.

Finally, using the right type of ammo with the machine gun can make a massive difference. But don't waste any Armor piercing rounds you come across. Save them for the toughest bosses.

Souplak

Try going into the arena and have each character use the other type of gun for a while. This is an easy way to rack up some quick levels and put the odds in your favor in the real battles. And make sure you are customizing your weapons as much as possible to improve their stats.

If the random battles are getting you down there's an accessory you can buy at the Arena for only 100 copper coins called the Strong Man's Bangle which basically turns them off. Don't skip any quests since you might miss out on very useful rewards.

Finally, using the right type of ammo with the machine gun can make a massive difference. But don't waste any Armor piercing rounds you come across. Save them for the toughest bosses.

ok thx. I have used every weapon customizing item I've gotten from quests, but I guess i should go to the store and buy any other item there.

hertog

I'm gonna start a new game. Only played this until the halfway point the first time.

Anybody got a decent guide for this game?

Curufinwe

Sorry for the third post in a row but I really need to know what level I should be to tackle the story mission in chapter 14. My first attempt at it was going nowhere, so I went to the Arena and did some grenade grinding and got my characters up to level 66-72. Should that be enough?

To everyone who recommended this game: arrrrrrrrrrrgh. This game is a buggy piece of shit on the xbox. The music constantly cuts in and out, and I just lost an hour of grinding for the second time because the game crashed on exiting an area. Apparently not everyone has these issues, bit it's very prominent for those who do. I wish someone had warned me because the game is otherwise very, very fun. But there is nothing more frustrating than losing playtime due to a buggy game.

There is NO REASON this game shouldn't have a save anywhere feature.

Top Bottom