• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i have 2 Super Famicoms, one i'm pretty sure is a very early model, the other from around 1995, so possibly a 1CHIP variant. I don't have the tool to open them up and see the chip revision though. Nor do I have an RGB cable, just S-Video for the time being. They appear to display identically, but i'm wondering if the documented video disparity applies only to RGB connections, or would it be apparent through S-Video as well?

Oh thanks, somehow i hadn't seen that before!

If the info is to be believed, looks like i have at least 1 1CHIP machine! My ~1995 model looks exactly the same as the 1CHIP photo.

The other machine that i think is older (it's from my wife's childhood, and has seen better days!) ... well it doesn't have 3 dots on the inside to indicate it's not 1CHIP - but it also doesn't seem to have the larger dot of the 1CHIP. Maybe i'll do some more hunting, it might not be as old as i thought.

Hair dryer is literally the only thing I've had trouble with on a Canadian 120V circuit. It's not an ordain hair dryer, but a high spec one and it gets extra hot here and breaks our circuit breaker in some rooms of the house. I imagine power tools could do the same thing.

For electronics, most AC adapters are designed to handle a range from 100 to 120V. So in general just don't worry about it.

I've had that happen with one of my hair dryers too!

KC-Slater

OSSC owners:

Do you turn it off when not in use? Just curious if there's any downside to having it switched on all/most of the time.

I take it one step further and unplug it when not in use as well. There's probably no real sense behind it, but the idea of leaving hobbyest-grade electronics it plugged into a power outlet when not in use sort of freaks me out...

Can someone help me with my original PAL xbox? Bought cheapo rgb scart and component cables and they're both rubbish.

Any directions in finding better quality or pal xbox just plop xbox?

Most of the third party ones are really bad. OEM, Monster, or DIY are the best options.

I've never heard of the DIY method but I can defend both the official and monster ones. They work fantastic for me. I'd just shell out for official high def AV pack. Look through local ads though as ebay will be pretty pricey.

Ripenen

A bit off topic, but for the people who currently focused on finishing an old retro game, what are you playing on your retro setups?

Trying to play through Soul Blazer. I'm stuck on the latest of many annoying boss fights. Fighting some bird on an air ship. I'm sure I can bang my head against it for an afternoon but at this point I'm ready to move on.

Hmmm I forgot you are using PAL I'm not familiar with how XBOX SCART behaves in regards to supporting RGB over 480i(afaik xbox only does rgb at 480i without modding) or if it supports progressive resolutions. The component one would look like the below.

Xbox-Advanced-AV-Adapter.jpg
/

I forgot to say I'm currently playing Grandia 1 on Saturn. Having a tough time a bit even with memories of it on PS1 but it's still a ton of fun despite having a lot of dialouge

Mega

Banned
A bit off topic, but for the people who currently focused on finishing an old retro game, what are you playing on your retro setups?

Finished LTTP (MSU-1 audio patch) and TMNT IV on SNES, TMNT II and III on NES. Gunman Clive 1+2 on 3DS and Bonk on Gameboy.

Been playing shorter games lately and may start something more meaty next... probably on PS2 or GC.

Still working my way through Ys Ark of Napishtim (spelling), which is probably my least liked Ys game. My girlfriend is currently obsessed with Dr Mario (snes one) and Tetris Attacks so we play that a couple of times a week. I'm also borrowing my friends Everdrive N8 and playing some Return of the Joker. Hard to believe this was an NES game at times.

Galdelico

Snowed in here, so I took the opportunity to beat Castlevania. Never owned an NES growing up, but this is the best game I've played on the system yet.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of NES is that? Retro USB AVS? Original console with RGB mod? If so, how do you connect it to your TV (can't remember if you're a Mini or OSSC owner)?

purdobol

Currently nothing on retro side of things. Well kind of. I'm going through Phoenix Wright series right now for the first time (is it considered retro?).
Finished the frist one now playing the second. Which had a real bad start (tutorial case + weird solution).
How the hell the victim supposed to write anything on the ground if he broke his neck from the fall? I kept showing autopsy report convinced this is the main contradiction but nope...
Second case was better in logics department, now i'm onto 3rd.
Very cool series, really can't put it down it's so addictive.

Peltz

Fire Emblem (The Blazing Blade) on GBA. I've been playing it on GBI via component and it looks amazing.

I also pop it into my GBA SP and play it on the subway to work. It's really fun.

Currently nothing on retro side of things. Well kind of. I'm going through Phoenix Wright series right now for the first time (is it considered retro?).
Finished the frist one now playing the second. Which had a real bad start (tutorial case + weird solution).
How the hell the victim supposed to write anything on the ground if he broke his neck from the fall? I kept showing autopsy report convinced this is the main contradiction but nope...

Phoenix Wright got its start on the GBA so I'd consider that retro, especially the original trilogy. As for your spoiler, that's a pretty big trope, at least in Japan. I don't consume enough western media to know if that's a thing elsewhere.

I've been playing Ace Attorney 6 finally and
how the hell can Maya write a letter in Khura'inese when she doesn't know the language? I got a guilty verdict because of this and it was so annoying, I was like.... uh hello?

I've also been doing a Halo run. First time I've played a shooter in almost 5 years, I figured if I'm going to give the genre another shot I might as well replay the games I liked.

I've been playing Ace Attorney 6 finally and
how the hell can Maya write a letter in Khura'inese when she doesn't know the language? I got a guilty verdict because of this and it was so annoying, I was like.... uh hello?

I've also be doing a Halo run. First time I've played a shooter in almost 5 years, I figured if I'm going to give the genre another shot I might as well replay the games I liked.

You have just made me want to do a Halo 1 run again. I guess I know what I'll be doing tomorrow early morning

Fire Emblem (The Blazing Blade) on GBA. I've been playing it on GBI via component and it looks amazing.

I also pop it into my GBA SP and play it on the subway to work. It's really fun.

That's still my fav entry. Lyn/Hector are so goddam badass

dubc35

Little to no retro gaming for me lately, unfortunately. I would love to get some time with Double Dragon this weekend to play along with the NES game club. My gaming lately is mainly Final Fantasy Brave Exvius (iOS). It’s super grindy but it’s something I can pick up and play for 2 minutes and be back to something else which is convenient for me right now.

I’m trying to decide what to do about my NES going forward: either RGB or HiDef mod. I’m lightly considering getting another NES and doing both, lol. I should be up for the next OSSC batch so I need to think about how that’s going to play into my setup should I decide to get one when my number is called.

Oh and I just saw a PVM-20M4U sitting in the hallway at work; funny to see these 2’ cubes in random places, lol.
I so wanted to snag it but that's not going to happen.

Vespa

Looks like those Neodymium magnets did the trick!

Before
32781307496_7872997039_o.jpg

After
32781308206_24186ce375_o.jpg

32668545202_fc1eec2ac2_o.jpg

Although there's five tiny magnets in this pic I only need three to effectively fix the issue. This CRT is saved from the scrapheap!

RobotVM

Went with this after playing around with S-Video. I will probably get a OSSC when they become available again, but this should do meanwhile.

Vml79x1.jpg

Those scanlines look sweet, that's why I was wondering. Still bummed I can't really buy one from here, without dropping pretty much the same money you'd need for an NT Mini. :/

I can't justify spending 500 bucks for the NT Mini. Is it just the fact it does HDMI and RGB output?

Also, I have 0 connection to the NES, since I never had one growing up, so that probably factors into it.

I can't justify spending 500 bucks for the NT Mini. Is it just the fact it does HDMI and RGB output?

Don't forget with the jailbreak the NT Mini is going to do Master System, Atari 2600, Colecovision, Gameboy, Gameboy color, and a whole lot more. Having accurate FPGA cores and output for so many systems for $450 is a lot cheaper than a bin full of Everdrives and video mods.

purdobol

Don't forget with the jailbreak the NT Mini is going to do Master System, Atari 2600, Colecovision, Gameboy, Gameboy color, and a whole lot more. Having accurate FPGA cores and output for so many systems for $450 is a lot cheaper than a bin full of Everdrives and video mods.

Yeah about that. How does it work exactly? I know that FPGA is basically a pile of programmable logic chips in one bigger chip. But can it hold multiple "integrated circuits" (for lack of a better word) that can be changed with a flip of a switch? Or is it have to be "reprogrammed" every time you want to change "the machine"?

If it's the latter then I don't see the appeal to be honest. Other than ability to "emulate" the real machines that will eventually die out that is. But connecting it to the PC to change the "firmware" every time you want to change the system sounds like hassle.

Yeah about that. How does it work exactly? I know that FPGA is basically a pile of programmable logic chips in one bigger chip. But can it hold multiple "integrated circuits" (for lack of a better word) that can be changed with a flip of a switch? Or is it have to be "reprogrammed" every time you want to change "the machine"?

If it's the latter then I don't see the appeal to be honest. Other than ability to "emulate" the real machines that will eventually die out that is. But connecting it to the PC to change the "firmware" every time you want to change the system sounds like hassle.

You just install a menu, that's all. The official NES core is always present. The menu allows you to select one additional core and then it takes you to a ROM list for that core. As more cores are added, the menu options increase.

No need to connect to a PC, all the available cores live on the SD card inside the NT Mini.

purdobol

You just install a menu, that's all. The official NES core is always present. The menu allows you to select one additional core and then it takes you to a ROM list for that core. As more cores are added, the menu options increase.

No need to connect to a PC, all the available cores live on the SD card inside the NT Mini.

Ahh so the chip can reprogram itself solely based on software. This is cool.

im not sure how i feel about FPGA clone consoles. the tech is super cool but i love OG hardware too much, I think.

I get it. Everybody has their own feelings about such things. I kind of understand all sides, except people who insist on playing original carts but who do it in a Retron. Those people are freaks. ;)

I get it. Everybody has their own feelings about such things. I kind of understand all sides, except people who insist on playing original carts but who do it in a Retron. Those people are freaks. ;)

I think in the future I'll probably warm to them. at the moment they feel kinda... forced? I don't have the right words to articulate what I mean. It seems like one of those things that's kinda unnecessary right now, despite having obvious utility and being very cool tech, like I said. Once the tech expands to the SNES, and more to my interests, the Saturn and PS1, I'll probably be just as enthusiastic as anyone. Just not for me right now, I think.

I wrote a paper like 8 years ago on how FPGAs would likely always be too expensive to find practical use in consumer electronics as a reconfigurable cpu/system in pretty much any application. So, to be proven so wrong, I think it's super interesting.

If I were starting now I would probably wait a little longer for whatever Kevtris has with the Zimba 3000 and get that and then not have to deal with RGB modding an NES and now a PC Engine, getting everdrives, rgb cables, tracking down and fixing a sega cd, having a bin full of controllers and extension cables, lucking into a good price on GC component cables, etc etc etc. But I'm already there for everything except maybe GameGear, and certainly you're going to find some minor issues with less popular FPGA implementations which may or may not ever get fixed, so real hardware is going to still be better if you want to do the work.

Then also I don't think FPGA systems are going to be able to do PS1, Saturn, N64, and on anytime soon due to size of FPGA needed plus complexity of implementation goes way up (prove me wrong!).

televator

Cables are the number one reason I'm enthused about FPGA clones. No more proprietary connectors no more swapping things around. No more bin filled with a tangled mess and never finding the one controller or peripheral you want.

Reading all this talk of "dealing with" actual hardware is a little disappointing.

I guess perhaps living in Europe (easy access to RGB) and being able to mod my own consoles (no shipping hassles, chasing modders, low cost...) might skew my view but I'm really quite passionate about playing on original hardware.

FPGAs are neat an all but have as much appeal to me as emulation I guess.

Reading all this talk of "dealing with" actual hardware is a little disappointing.

I guess perhaps living in Europe (easy access to RGB) and being able to mod my own consoles (no shipping hassles, chasing modders, low cost...) might skew my view but I'm really quite passionate about playing on original hardware.

FPGAs are neat an all but have as much appeal to me as emulation I guess.

I tend to agree with you, but cheaper FPGAs and the degradation of real hardware necessitates some sort of hardware revolution here. Like I said before, I don't feel it's a terrible useful technology as of right now, but in 20 years? Not so clear cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom