• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

televator

Yes, it does. My TV also have a scart input. However, the PS1 resolution via component isn't supported neither.

To answer some of your original questions component does not have a better picture than RGB. Actually, RGB is above component and is the native internal rendered color space of most video sources at their most primary stages. Particularly, the PS2 has artifacts that manifest around edges and a little noise on top with component output.

If you wanna go the RGB route, I'd say get the RGB SCART cable first and see if your TV will take 240p over that route... because I'll be damned if I ever recommend a cheap scaler before all else.

Peltz

Picked up a Hyundai Super Fami. Kinda like a souvenir from my two years of living in Seoul/Korea and wanted to hit the Seoul retro art one last time before leaving. It was either this or a Samsung MD but went for the Super ComBoy. Figured RetroGAF might get a kick out of it.

image_36.jpeg

Cool pickup. Never saw one of those before.

im sort of drowning in cables at the minute - bought scart for xbox original but was getting a lot of noise/white spots so bought a component cable to see if it will help.

now wanting to find component scart adapter that does audio too but thats proving difficult (clearly not looking in the right spaces)

Filben

To answer some of your original questions component does not have a better picture than RGB. Actually, RGB is above component and is the native internal rendered color space of most video sources at their most primary stages. Particularly, the PS2 has artifacts that manifest around edges and a little noise on top with component output.

If you wanna go the RGB route, I'd say get the RGB SCART cable first and see if your TV will take 240p over that route... because I'll be damned if I ever recommend a cheap scaler before all else.
Thanks for the heads up! After a little research, I also came across the component troubles with adding a little noise. You have just confirmed that.

I'll try the RGB option, many thanks!

Vespa

XBA41ze.jpg

Damn UPS, finally find a decent 19" and it gets drop-kicked on it's way to me. It was super well packaged with layers and layers of industrial bubble wrap which makes its condition rather baffling. I could live with damage but there's also discolouration in the corners and so I'm probably going to have to junk it, what a waste!

That sucks man, I feel your pain. I just spent $125 on a near mint 12x8 Extron rgb switch and the freaking USPS must've played football with the box. The housing on the thing is made of metal and it still got bashed in. Was seeing red when I got the package :(

Vespa

That sucks man, I feel your pain. I just spent $125 on a near mint 12x8 Extron rgb switch and the freaking USPS must've played football with the box. The housing on the thing is made of metal and it still got bashed in. Was seeing red when I got the package :(

They damaged an extron unit?! I have a 201 and its bullet proof, you have to be taking a hammer to it to damage it! That's a lot of money to lose too, sorry to hear that it got messed up, does it still work?

My monitor wasn't too much (£45/$56) but it's a pain to keep searching for decent one.

Mega

Banned
For CRTs:

1. Freight/pallet (prohibitively expensive tbh)
2. FedEx (zero problems in my experience)
3. USPS/Other
4. UPS (always a problem in my experience and for others)

RobotVM

So I bought a V-Saturn today and it comes with S-video cable. I am trying to decided if I should buy a RGB Scart cable and HDMI converter to use with my KS8000 TV or I should you my Panasonic DVD Recorder as a pass-through using S-video? Any one have experience with this?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So I bought a V-Saturn today and it comes with S-video cable. I am trying to decided if I should buy a RGB Scart cable and HDMI converter to use with my KS8000 TV or I should you my Panasonic DVD Recorder as a pass-through using S-video? Any one have experience with this?

Everything about that S-video plan sounds like the worst thing ever.

Brashnir

XBA41ze.jpg

Damn UPS, finally find a decent 19" and it gets drop-kicked on it's way to me. It was super well packaged with layers and layers of industrial bubble wrap which makes its condition rather baffling. I could live with damage but there's also discolouration in the corners and so I'm probably going to have to junk it, what a waste!

Not sure how severe the discoloration is, but if it's limited to the corners, a degaussing coil may take care of it.

That's a real shame. I used to have the black variant of that Diamondtron monitor (paired with an XRGB-2 Plus back in the day and the image quality was mint. Awesome for PC usage too. Think it did 1920x1440 without breaking a sweat.

televator

Given these 2 choices, I'd go the S video to DVD player route.

Vespa

Not sure how severe the discoloration is, but if it's limited to the corners, a degaussing coil may take care of it.

Had no luck degaussing with a coil. Interestingly enough a speaker placed in that corner seems to correct the magnetisation, I've ordered some small neodymium magnets to see if I can use them in a more practical solution.

@Mega - I think my small bvm was delivered with FedEx and that was fine. Next crt will have to be within a distance I can pick up myself.

My friends dad has some old video equipment that he doesn't use anymore and my friend took a 20 inch PVM from him. My friend offered to give me a smaller monitor for free which I gladly said I will accept. He said its really small and probably about a 10 inch screen. I've heard of 14 inch PVMs but never a 10 inch. Do 10 inch ones exist or is possibly something smaller that isn't a PVM?

I'm hoping the inputs have S-Video as I'm pretty sure some of them only have composite but I'll be happy with whatever I get as I plan to use it for my NES(and sometimes SNES depending on the title)

Brhoom

Banned
My friends dad has some old video equipment that he doesn't use anymore and my friend took a 20 inch PVM from him. My friend offered to give me a smaller monitor for free which I gladly said I will accept. He said its really small and probably about a 10 inch screen. I've heard of 14 inch PVMs but never a 10 inch. Do 10 inch ones exist or is possibly something smaller that isn't a PVM?

I'm hoping the inputs have S-Video as I'm pretty sure some of them only have composite but I'll be happy with whatever I get as I plan to use it for my NES(and sometimes SNES depending on the title)

I found a pvm smaller than my note 5. There are smaller ones.

Any recommendations for Genesis model 2 AV cables, as well as the SNES/N64/Cube?

There are some off brands on Amazon but reviews are not kind.

hobozero

Score! Managed to pick up a mint Sony Trinitron 13in. Oddly there is no S-video, just composite and component. No remote with it though. $20 CDN.

vTqpjhx.jpg

Picture looks good - is it worth trying to get into the service menus to adjust things, or just leave the way it is? Can a universal remote get into the service menus?

Score! Managed to pick up a mint Sony Trinitron 13in. Oddly there is no S-video, just composite and component. No remote with it though. $20 CDN.

vTqpjhx.jpg

Picture looks good - is it worth trying to get into the service menus to adjust things, or just leave the way it is? Can a universal remote get into the service menus?

Awesome pickup especially since it does component too! For me personally I'm happy with Composite at that screen size.

Depends really how much it bothers you for settings. If you can find a cheap remote or cheap universal remote that lets you access the settings it might be worth it, but when you are paying $20 for a tv it's hard to justify more than $5-10 on a remote.

What kind of thread is this?

LOL, I didn't get that at first

Mega

Banned
They also come in matching 5" and 8" sizes... same as how 14" and 20" PVMs are the same as 13" and 19" models.

What's the other PVM you have?

The one I have currently is a PVM-20M2U. I haven't played around with the settings on it other than the knobs on the front but it serves me well still for my saturn/snes/xbox needs

Maxpacker

vTqpjhx.jpg

Lol it's a mini version of my 27"

Su3IzWPh.jpg

Someone posted their 8-incher on here before. I think they had it set up to a PC-Engine

A very long time ago I had a 9" PVM with a Core Grafx II hooked up.

Gave that PVM away to the guy that purchased my 20M4E. Wasn't using it so whatever. Not a big fan of those smaller screens.

brainpann

So I found this on CL.
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/vgm/5995270671.html

I've never seen this particular monitor before but a quick google search leads me to belive it's pretty good. Anyone know anything about it? The seller is asking 300.00 which seems pretty steep but I know monitors have seemingly increased up in price recently.

I'm tempted to check it out but I don't really need another. Maybe someone here might be interested.

Brashnir

So I found this on CL.
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/vgm/5995270671.html

I've never seen this particular monitor before but a quick google search leads me to belive it's pretty good. Anyone know anything about it? The seller is asking 300.00 which seems pretty steep but I know monitors have seemingly increased up in price recently.

I'm tempted to check it out but I don't really need another. Maybe someone here might be interested.

that's like... half a mile from me. Not really looking for anything that large/heavy currently, however.

kubev

I just ordered a Framemeister, but I live in the U.S., so it's my understanding that I'll need an alternative power supply. After doing some research, I've noticed that power supplies for PSP and PlayStation TV supposedly work just fine. I have plenty of PlayStation TV power supplies lying around, so I just want to confirm here that I won't have any issues if I use a PlayStation TV power supply to power my Framemeister. Can anyone confirm that using a PlayStation TV power supply works just fine (both in terms of it providing the appropriate amount of power and that the connector fits)?

Roge_NES

I just ordered a Framemeister, but I live in the U.S., so it's my understanding that I'll need an alternative power supply. After doing some research, I've noticed that power supplies for PSP and PlayStation TV supposedly work just fine. I have plenty of PlayStation TV power supplies lying around, so I just want to confirm here that I won't have any issues if I use a PlayStation TV power supply to power my Framemeister. Can anyone confirm that using a PlayStation TV power supply works just fine (both in terms of it providing the appropriate amount of power and that the connector fits)?

The included power supply works perfect when used in the U.S.

entremet

vTqpjhx.jpg

I have this TV.

It's great.

I didn't do anything special with my XRGB-3. I doubt the Framemeister is much different. It's possible there could be an issue over the long-term but you'll probably be okay. I'm sure Micomsoft knows that their product is popular around the world and engineered it to tolerate the small voltage difference between Japan and the US. The plugs are the same but Japan uses 100 instead of 120 V.

If they use a more expensive voltage regulator after transforming it down there shouldn't be much of an issue. I imagine this is more a problem with older hardware than newer stuff so I have all my old Japanese consoles and computers going through a transformer. I've never bothered with the new stuff.

Mega

Banned
OSSC owners:

Do you turn it off when not in use? Just curious if there's any downside to having it switched on all/most of the time.

Madao

OSSC owners:

Do you turn it off when not in use? Just curious if there's any downside to having it switched on all/most of the time.

i turn it off just like any of my other pieces of electronics while not in use.

to my understanding, all pieces of tech wear down more if you leave them on all the time.

My Framemeister works just fine with the included PSU on my 'Murican power.

kubev

The included power supply works perfect when used in the U.S.

I didn't do anything special with my XRGB-3. I doubt the Framemeister is much different. It's possible there could be an issue over the long-term but you'll probably be okay. I'm sure Micomsoft knows that their product is popular around the world and engineered it to tolerate the small voltage difference between Japan and the US. The plugs are the same but Japan uses 100 instead of 120 V.

If they use a more expensive voltage regulator after transforming it down there shouldn't be much of an issue. I imagine this is more a problem with older hardware than newer stuff so I have all my old Japanese consoles and computers going through a transformer. I've never bothered with the new stuff.

My Framemeister works just fine with the included PSU on my 'Murican power.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the info!

that misconception is, afaik, because it originally shipped with a JP-specific adapter. I'm fairly sure that even that one worked for those of us in the US, though. These days it ships with a universal one so it's a nonfactor.

that misconception is, afaik, because it originally shipped with a JP-specific adapter. I'm fairly sure that even that one worked for those of us in the US, though. These days it ships with a universal one so it's a nonfactor.

The only significant difference between Japanese and American plugs is that if you want to use a ground line in Japan you need to screw it into the wall. Otherwise it's all electrical differences. Japan uses 100 V instead of 120 V. That is potentially an issue but doesn't tend to be.

I think a bigger issue is that parts of Japan (such as Tokyo) use 50 Hz AC instead of 60 Hz (like Western Japan and the US). It's pretty weird and if you have any device that relies on a specific amount of impedance there could be a problem. If it comes from Japan, they are very much aware of that issue and have made it capable of working with both frequencies. If you bring something (such as a hair dryer) from the US to Japan that's older (maybe even the new stuff, I don't know I don't use hair dryers) and isn't expecting a 50 Hz signal you might have a bad time.

Hair dryer is literally the only thing I've had trouble with on a Canadian 120V circuit. It's not an ordainary hair dryer, but a high spec one and it gets extra hot here and breaks our circuit breaker in some rooms of the house. I imagine power tools could do the same thing.

For electronics, most AC adapters are designed to handle a range from 100 to 120V. So in general just don't worry about it.

Mega

Banned
Thanks for the responses. I don't leave mine on... just wanted to verify if having it on while not using a console was perhaps a low-power "standby" mode that wouldn't wear out the OSSC. Similar to an always-on modern console.

My monitors and Extron stuff are all on standby/idle, never off, because the power off switches are way in back and I doubt this durable AV equipment is meant to be completely powered down with each use. Of course this stuff is factory-manufactured and built to last, so I'm not implying the OSSC is in the same category.

Galdelico

yup. i do it to reduce light and get an excuse to flick that switch. i love it.
THIS.

Thanks for the responses. I don't leave mine on... just wanted to verify if having it on while not using a console was perhaps a low-power "standby" mode that wouldn't wear out the OSSC. Similar to an always-on modern console.
Speaking of which - honest curious - is there an optimal sequence, to fire up the whole 'chain'? I first turn on the monitor, then the OSSC (and I set the correct AV channel), and then last, the console I want to play with. It may sound like a pretty stupid question, but this is the first time I'm using such devices, so it feels like I learn something new everyday. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom