• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Krelian

2016-09-1711.32.12xxuzj.jpg
Got some new retro games. Gauntlet II is the PAL version but the condition is excellent. I don't have a Famicom yet for Fantasy Zone but I plan on getting one, or maybe a Retro AVS.

Unfortunately my old CRT seems to have died :( Now I have to figure out what to replace it with. There aren't any other CRTs in our household so I'll either have to buy a replacement CRT or maybe get an LCD TV and an upscaler. Not sure yet...

Rich!

Bumped into one of these for sale locally for dirt cheap earlier just down the road from me

OflAhSqh.jpg

It's not that bad! Controls are fine. Compatibility is shockingly good. Every single game I've ran has played full speed with no glitches or issues, including my Super Everdrive, Yoshis Island and the Super Game Boy with the Everdrive GB plugged in!!

The screen is adequate. It's good enough, but its obviously being given a poor composite source.

I wonder if it's possible to replace the screen with a better one or enable rgb output?

Picked up my first SNES last week with Final Fantasy III (VI) and Castlevania IV. I'm playing FF VI for the first time ever. I just defeated the first boss encounter with Kefka. Such a great game so far. Thoroughly enjoying it.

Haven't dived too much into Castlevania IV yet, but am looking forward to it!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Picked up my first SNES last week with Final Fantasy III (VI) and Castlevania IV. I'm playing FF VI for the first time ever. I just defeated the first boss encounter with Kefka. Such a great game so far. Thoroughly enjoying it.

Haven't dived too much into Castlevania IV yet, but am looking forward to it!

You are in for a treat! Two of the best games ever imo.

hey retroGAF,
how many are getting the new analogue NT, just curious if there's a big demand for it.

Personally, Analogue's are out of my price range. I did get an AVS though. I love it, though there are a couple quirks. My biggest worry is that it'll break or something. I mean it feels well built, but there have been two reports of the USB power port detaching. As long as that doesn't happen to me, I'm in love.

analogue NT mini sounds extremely competent, but again, price is simply too high for me, and honestly I dislike the look of the system. Looks cheap, and not anything like an NES or Famicom. Very fond of the AVS look. If they had put 'retrousb AVS' in red on the flap, like the NES, it would have been perfect.

D.Lo

And with my Color TV Game Racing 112 acquisition, I now have almost every major revision of every Nintendo home console ever released, complete in box.

Wii U
Wii
Gamecube
Nintendo 64
Virtual Boy (counting it as a console, it's not portable)
Super Famicom Jr
Super Famicom
AV Famicom
Round Button Famicom
Square Button Famicom
Famicom Disk System
Color TV Game Block Breaker
Color TV Game Racing 112
Color TV Game 15
Color TV Game 6 CTV6G (orange)
Color TV Game CTV6S (white)

Missing:
Computer TV Game - incredibly rare, insanely expensive, and borderline not a consumer product, it was literally an arcade game with TV out. It sold for ¥48,000 in 1980. For comparison the Color TV Game Racing was ¥5000 in 1980, and the Famicom launched in 1983 for ¥14,800.

Wii Mini - Not released in Japan, I'll grab one anyway I guess.

Sega set will take a few more years I think, so many revisions...

Peltz

And with my Color TV Game Racing 112 acquisition, I now have almost every major revision of every Nintendo home console ever released, complete in box.

Wii U
Wii
Gamecube
Nintendo 64
Super Famicom Jr
Super Famicom
AV Famicom
Round Button Famicom
Square Button Famicom
Famicom Disk System
Color TV Game Racing 112
Color TV Game 15

Missing:
Computer TV Game - incredibly rare, insanely expensive, and borderline not a consumer product, it was literally an arcade game with TV out. It sold for ¥48,000 in 1980. For comparison the Color TV Game Racing was ¥5000 in 1980, and the Famicom launched in 1983 for ¥14,800.

Damn dude, that collection is no joke. Congrats!
P.s. No Famicom twins?

Anth0ny

every day I leave the gym I see all of the retired seniors playing bocce

and I realize

when I'm 60 i'm going to be sitting on my ass playing SNES games all day

so I've made the decision to wait on clearing my backlog until I'm retired. that sounds like the best way to go about this. it's nice not to feel stressed about that. I'm also not going to play any JRPGs until I'm retired cause I ain't got no mutha fuckin time.

#lifestrats

Khaz

every day I leave the gym I see all of the retired seniors playing bocce

and I realize

when I'm 60 i'm going to be sitting on my ass playing SNES games all day

so I've made the decision to wait on clearing my backlog until I'm retired. that sounds like the best way to go about this. it's nice not to feel stressed about that. I'm also not going to play any JRPGs until I'm retired cause I ain't got no mutha fuckin time.

#lifestrats

I swear seniors are busier than us active people. They're always travelling or engaged in so many activity, and complain they don't have enough time to do everything. Grandma, if you stopped travelling to Europe, taking dance lessons and making cookies, you'd have time to sit down for a minute.

Personally, Analogue's are out of my price range. I did get an AVS though. I love it, though there are a couple quirks. My biggest worry is that it'll break or something. I mean it feels well built, but there have been two reports of the USB power port detaching. As long as that doesn't happen to me, I'm in love.

analogue NT mini sounds extremely competent, but again, price is simply too high for me, and honestly I dislike the look of the system. Looks cheap, and not anything like an NES or Famicom. Very fond of the AVS look. If they had put 'retrousb AVS' in red on the flap, like the NES, it would have been perfect.

It looks like a cool product, but with an RGB-modded Famicom and a Framemeister, i dont really feel like I need it.

Definitely. Selling my RGB A/V Famicom to help cover costs if I like it enough. If I don't, I'll sell it and imagine I'll do close to breaking even.

A bit too pricey for my blood. I'm springing for the less expensive AVS sometime next month though.

thanks for your input,

i'm on the fence right now. either i'm looking to get a nes and rgb mod it or getting this or AVS. i'm slowly collecting nes games at the moment without a system.

Peltz

thanks for your input,

i'm on the fence right now. either i'm looking to get a nes and rgb mod it or getting this or AVS. i'm slowly collecting nes games at the moment without a system.

For me, RGB mod is the way to go. The nostalgia of the original form factor is too compelling to ignore.

Then again, I love Nintendo stuff and consider myself to be a huge fanboy of theirs.

Anth0ny

I swear seniors are busier than us active people. They're always travelling or engaged in so many activity, and complain they don't have enough time to do everything. Grandma, if you stopped travelling to Europe, taking dance lessons and making cookies, you'd have time to sit down for a minute.

haha, I'm not nearly that exciting.

I plan to read a lot of books, play a lot of games and listen to lots of music when I'm retired.

maybe travel the world too, I guess.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
For me, RGB mod is the way to go. The nostalgia of the original form factor is too compelling to ignore.

Then again, I love Nintendo stuff and consider myself to be a huge fanboy of theirs.

I totally agree with this. There is just no way i would choose that Analogue NT even though im sure it is awesome in its own way.

Glowsquid

The subject of collection organizers was discussed on page 99. Back then I suggested darkadia dot com, but it appears to be abandonned (no updates and a major bug that hasn't been fixed since two months) so I'm considering moving to something else (I tried backloggery a few years before, but adding stuff is tedious af and it's not visual enough for my liking).

Khaz

14rzs.jpg

"look sonny, these dumb bastards on GAF actually think GTA IX is more revolutionary than Super Metroid lol"

Is he... teaching him how to play a vertical shmup?
"This is your ship, the single white pixel is your hit box. You can score multiply bonus by grazing incoming bullets like here. It would look better in tate mode, but on this computer screen it's alright, you're not losing definition. Now go get your arcade stick, I ain't playing on no damn keyboard."

14rzs.jpg

"look sonny, these dumb bastards on GAF actually think GTA IX is more revolutionary than Super Metroid lol"

Hahaha. Maybe the best post ever in the retro threads.

Original all the way for me. I just feel like that is the whole point.

adamy

Banned

Wii U
Wii
Gamecube
Nintendo 64
Super Famicom Jr
Super Famicom
AV Famicom
Round Button Famicom
Square Button Famicom
Famicom Disk System
Color TV Game Racing 112
Color TV Game 15

Missing:

I hate you

IrishNinja

nice system list, D Lo
all im down to wanting is a Master System & OG xbox, and im good! oh yeah, and that kevtris FPGA thing one day for neo-geo/early MAME

then I guess I'll never play final fantasy 8

you're better off, the OST (especially piano) is the best part anyway

Top Bottom