• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

televator

What McDonald's was that?

The console does need the heatsink too, as it was very powerful for the time (if inefficient - it's about three times more powerful than the PS1 but the graphics performance is probably only 1.5 times better, depending how much you count the cost of expensive stuff like z-bufferring etc). Overclocked N64s need additional cooling or they crash on some games, so evidently the existing heat solution was exactly right to keep it completely cool on the outside for the regular clock speed.

That's just an aluminum heatsink too. A copper one ought to help with overclocks.

televator

lol

i grabbed some authentic Mexican food tonight and there's a retro store right next door. i go there while i wait for my order =)

Lemme get a Quarter pounder and a side of Metal Slug. :p

Lemme guess... SoCal? Authentic Mexican and Retro games... very few places on Earth have a corner of heaven like that.

Lemme get a Quarter pounder and a side of Metal Slug. :p

Lemme guess... SoCal? Authentic Mexican and Retro games... very few places on Earth have a corner of heaven like that.

it was actually NJ called Gamezone. i first stopped by digitial press (which is the best retro store by me) got the two nes games then headed over to Gamezone and found the rest.

televator

it was actually NJ called Gamezone. i first stopped by digitial press (which is the best retro store by me) got the two nes games then headed over to Gamezone and found the rest.

Authentic Mexican Jersey, eh? Been a looong time since I've been there. I guess my people have proliferated well since then. lol

Fowler

Hello Retro-GAF! First time poster in here, so forgive me for the stupid question.

I really, really want to play my N64 games again on TV, ideally on the original hardware. (I've fiddled with emulation/Raspberry Pi, and have never really been happy with the results.)

I've seen the UltraHDMI mod, which looks amazing, but is seemingly always out of stock. One time when they did signal the on-sale time in advance, I was ready and waiting... but wasn't fast enough, and it was gone after a minute!

My TV only has HDMI ports, so I feel like my options are limited. With that in mind: Retro-GAF, how can I play my N64 games today? What are the best options outside of UltraHDMI?

Thank you!

Rich!

Hello Retro-GAF! First time poster in here, so forgive me for the stupid question.

I really, really want to play my N64 games again on TV, ideally on the original hardware. (I've fiddled with emulation/Raspberry Pi, and have never really been happy with the results.)

I've seen the UltraHDMI mod, which looks amazing, but is seemingly always out of stock. One time when they did signal the on-sale time in advance, I was ready and waiting... but wasn't fast enough, and it was gone after a minute!

My TV only has HDMI ports, so I feel like my options are limited. With that in mind: Retro-GAF, how can I play my N64 games today? What are the best options outside of UltraHDMI?

Thank you!

RGB modded n64 and an upscaler such as xrgb or ossc.

Pray for your wallet

Thank you!

UltraHDMI is probably your best and most affordable solution. Which modder are you watching? There are a couple who do it. While they won't always have stock at least you'll have more places to check. RetroFixes did mine, and while he's a little bit more pricey, when I was looking to get mine done he seemed to get it in stock more often than others.

Badass Consoles is also a popular one (and cheaper, but seems to get less stock) http://www.badassconsoles.com/nintendo-64/

oh man, ive absolutely seen this so many times at just comic cons, too. one table had NES jaws cart for like $50, i wanna say i didn't see it later too...geeeez

for real though, jelly of your experience here man! hoping we have one out here southeast one day

Yeah I have to say I don't understand where this price inflation is coming from but man that shit needs to stop.

You should look I was actually surprised how many gaming conventions have been going on around here. Plus check out toycons alot of gaming shit shows up there with some what better prices.

Galdelico

Yeah I have to say I don't understand where this price inflation is coming from but man that shit needs to stop.
It won't unfortunately. :(
I recently spectated to some truly ubelievable mental shit, while shopping on ebay, at Yamatoku. There are people - really hope no gaffer was involved, because damn that was underwhelming - who just want stuff. They don't care to look at other places, to compare prices, to pay what is right (probably because money isn't an issue with them), to wait for another deal. They just want stuff, and they'll buy it. No matter what.
I'm talking about used Shadow Dancer for the Mega Drive flying around 90 euros mark. Almost 40 for a Vectorman. And they were still bidding. :D

I believe random prices like those you saw are not that random after all, and they are aimed at those selected few who may want that item, and don't care to pay 100 USD instead of 10. Quite disgraceful - if anything, because it hurts the scene for everyone else - but what can you do about it?

Fowler

UltraHDMI is probably your best and most affordable solution. Which modder are you watching? There are a couple who do it. While they won't always have stock at least you'll have more places to check. RetroFixes did mine, and while he's a little bit more pricey, when I was looking to get mine done he seemed to get it in stock more often than others.

Badass Consoles is also a popular one (and cheaper, but seems to get less stock) http://www.badassconsoles.com/nintendo-64/

Thanks! I've only seen RetroFixes and Badass Consoles with it, and Badass Consoles is where I managed to miss out. Do you know of any others?

Galdelico

More pick-ups!

Haul2_zpss2l0ijas.png

Nothing huge. Two minor shmups I still had in my wishlist - Darius II because I love it on the Mega Drive, so I wanted to try it on the Saturn too, and Arcade Hits: Raiden to complete the collection for the PS1 (to be honest, I only own the Hamster release of Raiden DX, still not sure I want the first print too) - and probably the best soccer game for the Saturn, as well as the only one in the entire series I didn't own yet.

Croc still is a pretty fun game, having returned to the PC version a couple of months ago. (Kind of annoying to run on modern systems, of course, especially since the version I own doesn't even support DirectX, just GLIDE; had to download a fan patch to fix that, or else be using nGlide or dgVoodoo2 or something.)

Granted, I found the platforming insanely frustrating as a kid, but not quite as bad these days - I guess trucking my way through the first Tomb Raider got me more acclimated to tank controls? Camera leaves something to be desired at times, though.

Galdelico

Sometimes I wish I was wiser, or more forward-thinking, back then... Sure, It was a PAL machine with PAL games only - nothing particularly hot to my eyes, today- but there are moments I truly regret solding them all. I owned Zillion and Zillion II, and I remember loving them both.
Cool pick-ups as always, Dave!

Galdelico

Latest retro pick-up. Lol.

Foam_zps5nfimgqr.png

It's original, though, not a reproduction, and it goes to complete my Albert Odyssey, so I like to believe it's worthy. :D

Galdelico

nice! been meaning to pick up a bunch of these sometime, definitely before moving again

My initial idea was to go the same way, and buy a stock of those newly-made foam bricks, but in the end I changed my mind. Partly because they just don't seem to match the original ones - the texture tends to look rougher, and the color is different as well - partly because I only have three long-boxes, so I decided to try and find original insert... One for Albert Odyssesy - which I think it deserved - then Saturn Duke Nukem 3D never actually included one, and the last one for PS1 Rayman. The game's getting fairly valuable, so I may try and grab a second original brick, this time for the PlayStation.

Is that PC Engine foam?

Guys. I've bit the bullet on NES games recently.. Been buying a few on my must have list that I've been waiting for, for years.. just went for it...

and the prices are too damn high!!

And I feel like it's about to suddenly get worse... The AVS and Analogue NT Mini will probably create a surge of activity in the games market.. but aside from that, it's like.. I looked away from vintage games for about a year or so, and now I see it again, and it's crazy out there!

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Yeah the AVS and Analogue NT Mini and Classic NES Mini legit have me concerned that already ridiculous NES cart prices are about to go through the roof.

Olly88

Does anyone know of any good retro forums? The "main" one I used to know of, Digital Press, seems to be dying and if I remember correctly, a few months ago I saw people talking over there about the owner leaving.

IrishNinja

yeah, most of em are hurting. digi press is nice but the skin always hurt my eyes, haha

i use racketboy, hardcore gaming 101, shmups here & there, big on sega-16 and a few others - do you have a particular scene you wanna follow?

Olly88

The main Racketboy site hasn't been updated in a while, but the forum is still doing decent.
It's silly but I have the same problem with that as I do with RetroCollect, that they use phpBB. I'm not a big fan of that software and find it a bit of a pain. I'll check it out sometime though and give it another go!

yeah, most of em are hurting. digi press is nice but the skin always hurt my eyes, haha

i use racketboy, hardcore gaming 101, shmups here & there, big on sega-16 and a few others - do you have a particular scene you wanna follow?

Ideally I'd absolutely love a SNES forum, but the only ones I've ever found are a couple of German ones. Which is quite strange given the popularity of the console, especially in the last few years. Maybe it's a gap in the market just begging me to fill.

IrishNinja

yeah, spots like nintendoage are prolly your best shot, but honestly it's all sales & collecting at places like that...i'm sure they have threads for new prototypes/romhacks etc here & there, but it's not the main focus

that said, if you started a pure SNES one, i'd join up!

I had to stop myself spending $60 on a nice copy of die hard arcade for saturn at a local shop. That's a fair price but I have the japanese version and there's better ways to spend my budget.

I find complete Virtua Cop 1 for $10, and Toshinden Remix complete for $8, so that's not bad.

Olly88

yeah, spots like nintendoage are prolly your best shot, but honestly it's all sales & collecting at places like that...i'm sure they have threads for new prototypes/romhacks etc here & there, but it's not the main focus

that said, if you started a pure SNES one, i'd join up!

Yeah I joined NA a few years ago, but the focus on the collecting side put me off. Not that I'm against collecting at all, but it'd be nice to have at least an even mix of both.

D.Lo

Yeah I read so many specific enthusiast communities. SMSpower, Sega16, Famicom World etc, they're where I go to if I'm looking for obscure info or want to talk to other crazies who have multiple SG1000 or square button Famicom consoles. Also they're less US centric than more general places, otherwise it's NES/SNES/Genesis US releases only talk.

Anth0ny

Does anyone know of any good retro forums? The "main" one I used to know of, Digital Press, seems to be dying and if I remember correctly, a few months ago I saw people talking over there about the owner leaving.

neogaf retro console community threads :)

Vogons is pretty good for vintage PC stuff. Kinda too much benchmarking obsession though.

Also sidenote I just discovered the "Hu" in Hu-Card is short for "Hudson." Kinda blew my mind, seems so obvious in retrospect.

Sometimes I wish I was wiser, or more forward-thinking, back then... Sure, It was a PAL machine with PAL games only - nothing particularly hot to my eyes, today- but there are moments I truly regret solding them all. I owned Zillion and Zillion II, and I remember loving them both.
Cool pick-ups as always, Dave!
Yeah i grabbed Zillion II a few weeks ago and was looking for part I
Nice pick ups Dave, Final Fantasy 2 is a masterpiece!
FF2 (IV) was my first true turn based rpg i ever played. i'm excited to play it again.

zillion is top 10 SMS, enjoy man! and write down those passwords, haha

nice! been meaning to pick up a bunch of these sometime, definitely before moving again
oh man! i forgot about writing those passwords out. i think i got far but never beat it. looking forward to completing it. (actually i may have but dont' remember... i beat part II pretty easy.)

Just doing the dishes.
oh nice!

D.Lo

That whiteness... *_*
Honest curious. Do the stickers not suffer from the washing?
Not just washing, this is the after photo of peroxide treatments.

Yes, paper type stickers will not survive in many cases (eg old Sega serial number stickers). But plastic and metal or foil stickers are fine.

Please tell me you explained it like that to your SO in real life.
I think if you have a Color TV Racing 112 and a Super Cassette Vision in your house it's already far enough down the path that this is pretty normal.

Top Bottom