• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Yes Boss!

Crap, I got some games in for my Super Famicom but I totally forgot that I had not ordered RGB cables ;-(

My question is do I need one with composite video or composite sync? From this LINK.

My setup is a PVM (never had syncing issues with other systems) and my second setup is a framemeister. Any help on which to order? SCART pinout is my pipeline.

Khaz

Crap, I got some games in for my Super Famicom but I totally forgot that I had not ordered RGB cables ;-(

My question is do I need one with composite video or composite sync? From this LINK.

My setup is a PVM (never had syncing issues with other systems) and my second setup is a framemeister. Any help on which to order? SCART pinout is my pipeline.

Either. One will carry Composite, the other won't. It won't make a difference on your screen. Composite on Sync is more of a remnant of the technology: back in the day it allowed to have all signals in the same plug, so that the clueless consumer could just plug it and get a picture regardless of the RGB capabilities of its hardware. Today I doubt you will ever use Composite on Scart. Then again, having the signal in the cable won't make a difference regarding picture quality.

Yes Boss!

Either. One will carry Composite, the other won't. It won't make a difference on your screen. Composite on Sync is more of a remnant of the technology: back in the day it allowed to have all signals in the same plug, so that the clueless consumer could just plug it and get a picture regardless of the RGB capabilities of its hardware. Today I doubt you will ever use Composite on Scart. Then again, having the signal in the cable won't make a difference regarding picture quality.

Ok, thanks!

Khaz

Oh yeah, practical example, I think you can use this cable on NES or AV Famicom. If you do the RGB mod with Composite out as one of the options on the switch, and use the cable on a traditional European TV, one cable will allow to check and laugh at Composhit, the other won't. That's pretty much the only modern use I can think of with Composite on Scart.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'd like to own the actual Battle Mania 2 just because I like Mega Drive JP art. But... i'd definitely have to go repro for Monster World IV.

Are there any good JRPGs that didnt make it outside of Japan?

Surging Aura is one of the more immediate ones I can think of, colorful game that looked decent when I tried it on an emulator a while back.

Also, Langrisser 2 is another big one.

There is also Blue Almanac but that actually got a waaaay-late release by Super Fighter Team under the name Star Odyssey.

And finally, a Genesis port of Phantasy Star 1.

Khaz

About this one, how did they do it? Is it a proper port, with upgraded graphics and using Megadrive functions? Or is it a Master System ROM with Power Base Converter pinout and a Megadrive cartridge shell?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
About this one, how did they do it? Is it a proper port, with upgraded graphics and using Megadrive functions? Or is it a Master System ROM with Power Base Converter pinout and a Megadrive cartridge shell?

It's not an upgrade at all, it's a direct port of the Mark III game. Not sure how it functions - if it was reprogrammed for the MD, or if it was the MD rom on cartridge with an emulator, or if it uses the Power Base Converter pinout...

And speaking of which, here's a great link to Genesis/MD RPGs. Japanese, western, Chinese...

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega-genesis-megadrive-rpgs

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I am really surprised by how crazy prices are becomming recently. This mostly applies to the old Nintendo-systems, but it seems to be a trend all over really. Do people here believe this is a bubble that will eventually burst, or will it in the future be more expensive to buy most worthwhile old Snes-games than new PS4/Bone-games? I remember getting into collecting and retro in the first place, because it was so much cheaper than playing new games, but now the situation is basically inverted, with new games crashing in price after a month, and old ones steadily increasing back and beyond the original MSRP. Strange times.

Koren

That's pretty much the only modern use I can think of with Composite on Scart.
The project is on hold since quite a long time now, but we've fond another use...

With a friend of mine, we designed a software for PC that take a video stream through a capture card, recognize (japanese) text, and use a translation table to find a proper translation for each sentence. Then replace the translated text into the image.

The problem was that the image coming from the PC hasn't a great quality, and even has some input lag issue.

Now, that's the tricky thing I was working on: use the dual video signal from a scart cable and the fast commute. The RGB carry the signal directly from the console, the composite the modified image from the PC. Then, you use the fast commute to switch between both feed, to send only parts with text replaced to the TV. It's the same trick some subtitling boxes use.

Too bad I haven't found the time to work on this project for ages (years in fact)

I am really surprised by how crazy prices are becomming recently. This mostly applies to the old Nintendo-systems, but it seems to be a trend all over really. Do people here believe this is a bubble that will eventually burst, or will it in the future be more expensive to buy most worthwhile old Snes-games than new PS4/Bone-games? I remember getting into collecting and retro in the first place, because it was so much cheaper than playing new games, but now the situation is basically inverted, with new games crashing in price after a month, and old ones steadily increasing back and beyond the original MSRP. Strange times.

I think interest is at an all time high, with everyone who grew up with NES, SNES, etc, reaching that age where they want to buy all their old games back, and honestly the modern game industry is a bit tiring, turning a lot of people back to the good old days.

SNES prices seem particularly outrageous, I think.. Seems worse than NES in my opinion, but I haven't been in the scene long. Before this, I was in Japan hunting down Famicom games.

But anyway, I think there's a bubble that will burst on a lot of games that aren't as rare or valuable as people want you to believe.. Meanwhile, the rarest games may stay just as rare and may increase in price.. But the run of the mill stuff is priced waaayy too high right now.

Morfeo

I think interest is at an all time high, with everyone who grew up with NES, SNES, etc, reaching that age where they want to buy all their old games back, and honestly the modern game industry is a bit tiring, turning a lot of people back to the good old days.

SNES prices seem particularly outrageous, I think.. Seems worse than NES in my opinion, but I haven't been in the scene long. Before this, I was in Japan hunting down Famicom games.

But anyway, I think there's a bubble that will burst on a lot of games that aren't as rare or valuable as people want you to believe.. Meanwhile, the rarest games may stay just as rare and may increase in price.. But the run of the mill stuff is priced waaayy too high right now.

But is it really though? Who knows how big this demand will continue to be. I mean, a timeless game like Super Mario World, it might be common, but any self-respecting gamer would want a mean to play that game, and quite a few of those will always prefer the physical version.

Yeah, I was really into collecting older games but with the prices at an all time high I stopped. I did manage to find Super Star Wars and Killer Instinct on SNES with the boxes and manuals for 10$ each though. So I have that going for me. Perhaps one day I'll try to collect more stuff...

Teknoman

Surging Aura is one of the more immediate ones I can think of, colorful game that looked decent when I tried it on an emulator a while back.

Also, Langrisser 2 is another big one.

There is also Blue Almanac but that actually got a waaaay-late release by Super Fighter Team under the name Star Odyssey.

I heard good things about Surging Aura. Shame it never got localized.

Its a shame that no one seems to try to translate Japanese Genesis releases (aside from action game repros...which really dont need it aside from the high prices, and MWIV).

Thanks for the racketboy link. Is Star Odyssey actually any good?

Khaz

I guess the reasoning is that the market is being flooded by people in their early thirties, who are starting to earn comfortable income, have reimbursed their student loan and have now the means to fulfil their inner childhood desires of having "all the videogames in the world". They'll grow out of it once 1) they made their fullset or 2) they become tired of the endless quest or 3) the family starts expanding and there is no time nor space to keep a room full of stupid videogames. In all three cases the games will come back to the market, possibly crashing it. The next generation will be less inspired by the 8/16bits generation and will try to make sets for PS2/GC/Xbox instead.

Frankly I don't know. We might notice a slight decrease in the next five to ten years, but it will probably never go back to the baseline we had before.

Morfeo

So the moral here is to start collect for the PS2 now, and then sell at inflated prices in a few years to fund the continued collection of the good old 2D-systems? :)

IrishNinja

i keep saying it, but: PS2 is still good to collect for outside of a few (Rule of Rose, etc), Wii is fucking perfect right now if you're interested - and you should be, there's a lotta gems and looking at the GC scene right now, i know it doesn't look similar cause the Wii sold gangbusters but there's so many games here that i think stand to be rare/hard to find gems down the road.

i mean, fuck, you can pick up Pandora's Tower for $20 new at GS right now. i might not even touch that one for years, but it's a late-ass-gen RPG by Xseed. you already saw Xeno go from $20 or less here on GAF to stupid prices, and i heard those Last Story 1st edition book things that best buy was prolly using as doorstops a while back are hard to get too. that shit has "SOME ASSHOLE ON YT IN 2016 GON MAKE THIS IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND FOR A FAIR PRICE" written all over it to me

Morfeo

Yeah, I have been collecting Wii for a few years, and it definitely has a very underrated library that will skyrocket in price in a few years. Its already happening on some titles though, games like Pikmin 2, Kirbys Adventure Wii and more has seen a steady increase lately, and Im sure more will follow.

About handheld collecting, Jeremy Parish just started a youtube series on the Game Boy - so look forward to increased prices also there! (Guess I need to grab those Final Fantasy Legends-games and Castlevania 3 now before its too late lol).

But PS2 is amazing right now for sure. The price of the big hitters on the system, Devil May Cry, MGS, GTA, Final Fantasy etc, is ridiculously low compared to their quality, and most of the still good but obscure jrpgs are pretty easy to get for now. Guess its time to refocus a bit.

Peagles

The Wii has been an amazing system to collect for. I just managed to pick up Captain Rainbow for a reasonable price. I have nearly 100 games and they're all worth owning. There's way more gems than people acknowledge.

Added to that, I've paid about $10 each for the majority of my Wii games. The same is happening with Wii U too. Nintendo is really unpopular here but NES has gotten crazy recently, along with SNES (but that kinda always was crazy).

Morfeo

The Wii has been an amazing system to collect for. I just managed to pick up Captain Rainbow for a reasonable price. I have nearly 100 games and they're all worth owning. There's way more gems than people acknowledge.

Added to that, I've paid about $10 each for the majority of my Wii games. The same is happening with Wii U too. Nintendo is really unpopular here but NES has gotten crazy recently, along with SNES (but that kinda always was crazy).

Yep, Im in the same boat here!

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
end of a consoles life is always the best time to collect for it games go for stupid cheap thats what i did for my original collection before i sold it all

Mzo

New Battle of the Ports: Strider Hiryu

Neat. That grammar in the scrolling text is fucking awful, though.

I like how whatever he used to record the arcade game had slightly different colored blocks (instead of black on black) sliding out of the way, revealing the text behind

I also wouldn't expect a PC Engine CD game to look better than a Genesis game, personally. That seems a little weird.

I also wouldn't expect a PC Engine CD game to look better than a Genesis game, personally. That seems a little weird.

Larger color palette(?), more simultaneous colors, (up to) the same resolution, and all that CD storage... totally possible for a PCE game to look better than MD/Gen. At least in stills, lol.

Teknoman

Do cartridges actually save high scores? I popped in Lightening Force again tonight (not smart to do late at night...you cant progress at all) and my high score was erased.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Larger color palette(?), more simultaneous colors, (up to) the same resolution, and all that CD storage... totally possible for a PCE game to look better than MD/Gen. At least in stills, lol.

Rondo of Blood is seriously in the running for one of the best looking games of the 16-bit era.

Most PCE games do look kinda meh, though. After seeing Rondo of Blood I always wondered if it was more of a capacity issue with the HuCards than anything.

Do cartridges actually save high scores? I popped in Lightening Force again tonight (not smart to do late at night...you cant progress at all) and my high score was erased.

In my experience, almost never.

Rondo of Blood is seriously in the running for one of the best looking games of the 16-bit era.

Most PCE games do look kinda meh, though. After seeing Rondo of Blood I always wondered if it was more of a capacity issue with the HuCards than anything.
Yeah, Rondo is absolutely gorgeous. Best looking gen 4 game is Last Blade to me though. Neo Geo is pretty much unmatched.

Depends on the game. Since most don't have battery backup, they'll disappear when you turn the system off.

Sorry for the self serving post, but I thought you guys might be interested in this. We have a limited run of Back in My Play shirts orders closing today with a Japanese Console Theme. We need to sell 3 more to hit our goal (and you get an awesome shirt!).

http://teespring.com/backinmyplayjapan

Here is what they look like:

Considering the consoles are Japanese, it would be interesting to see the blog name written in kana. Added bonus is you could wear it to a Yung Lean show and blend in #sadboys

Considering the consoles are Japanese, it would be interesting to see the blog name written in kana. Added bonus is you could wear it to a Yung Lean show and blend in #sadboys

I had a friend translate it and:

1. It is hard to translate and make it sound right

2. When we added the text it didn't look great.

Morfeo

Just googled The Last Blade, and holy shit does that game look good! Definitely a good choice!

Some Super Street Fighter II on the porch. Dug up this 13" CRT from the basement where it had sat for 10+ years covered in dust, spiders, and dirt. Works perfectly and a great picture!

Top Bottom