• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Those Jaleco carts are insane. Holy shit!

Edit:

Oh wait, they're not being released by Jaleco but are coming from Retro-Bit. That definitely changes my enthusiasm level from "holy shit" to "soft-woo" (-_-).

Oh, okay then -- wasn't sure about who was leading the charge there. That changes my enthusiasm level from "holy shit" to "yeah, don't care at all."

No idea. I just do the VC in 240 and the other games in 480.

Maybe the home brew has an option. I'd be curious to see what the M2 Konami Wiiware games look like in 240p.
i really need to start using wii VC, the only game i have on VC is super metroid and 64 smash that i got from club nintendo points.
Great catch. That Katamari Damacy brings back memories. When it first came out I found out about it on a Penny arcade post and I drove to a Gamestop 2.5 hours away just to get a copy. My roommates and I just played it for 2 days straight.
cool pickups. Katamary Damacy is so fun and the soundtrack is unforgettable.
I really appreciate how concise Katamari is too. Just when the concept starts to get kinda stale, it's over!
I did a run of We Love Katamari and Me and My Katamari recently as well and both, while good, just run too long.
We <3 Katamari has the best soundtrack and cooler presentation.
The first two Katamari games are literal gaming perfection and permanent members of my top 10 games list. May even be the only two games on it from the same franchise, but can't really argue with perfection.
Katamari Forever is my jam.
It runs in native 1080p too and I think it has tracks from all the previous games.

thanks guys! i never played any of them but heard a lot about Katamari. i always somehow mistakenly grouped this game with okami.

Katamari Damacy is fucking awesome. I've always wanted to play Nights on Wii but was scared away from it by the poor reviews.
i heard wii nights was bad but just randomly grabbed it for under 5 bucks.
Looks like you got lucky and have a MM Legacy Collection box that wasn't dented like mine was... Damn Playasia and their crappy packaging (or damn me for being cheap, either one).
gamestop is clearing them out so i decided to grab one local to me bc i wanted the gold amiibo.
Those Jaleco carts are insane. Holy shit!
Edit:Oh wait, they're not being released by Jaleco but are coming from Retro-Bit. That definitely changes my enthusiasm level from "holy shit" to "soft-woo" (-_-).
Oh, okay then -- wasn't sure about who was leading the charge there. That changes my enthusiasm level from "holy shit" to "yeah, don't care at all."
i thought it was 1st party but not enthusiastic about repro other than translations of games that never came out in the west.

Peltz

So tonight, for the first time ever I beat Neo Turf Masters and triggered the credits.

17759647_10101760882818620_4103354660681207414_n.jpg

I was feeling totally zen and finally figured out how to pull off amazing putts, reading the hills + grain correctly.

I finished with a -11 which was two strokes higher than I needed for first place:

17862673_10101760883776700_4387252434503381456_n.jpg

I think playing this game with Dave over the weekend got me re-addicted to it lol.

I hear using the classic controller eliminates a lot of the problems Nights had.
hey thanks for the heads up! perfect, i got a classic controller =)

So tonight, for the first time ever I beat Neo Turf Masters and triggered the credits.

17759647_10101760882818620_4103354660681207414_n.jpg

I was feeling totally zen and finally figured out how to pull off amazing putts, reading the hills + grain correctly.

I finished with a -11 which was two strokes higher than I needed for first place:

17862673_10101760883776700_4387252434503381456_n.jpg

I think playing this game with Dave over the weekend got me re-addicted to it lol.
Peltz got me hooked on my first ever golf game. it is addicting =)
going to practice and try to rematch him.

next time!!! =P

Yes Boss!

i really need to start using wii VC, the only game i have on VC is super metroid and 64 smash that i got from club nintendo points.

So many hidden gems on Wii VC. And official releases too. Not everything, of course, but a ton of special titles. Things like Iron Clad and Alien Soldier and Pulseman. And even more obscure titles on J-VC.

And a ton of M2-emulated titles if you respect that outfit's work. It is nice to have the systems and carts and stuff but I almost always play the 200-odd catalog of VC titles or one of them every week.

Nice to see the love for Katamari Damacy here. Such a great game. The PS2 was just such a monster console at the time. This is the kind of niche game that would become possible more often consoles later with digital distribution. But the PS2 install base was large enough that it could happen. The game was only $20 at launch I believe, too.

Danny Dudekisser

After buying a really good subwoofer for my PC and kinda falling in love with it, I decided it's probably time to add one to my TV gaming setup again. Haven't had one hooked up to that for movies and games for like... 7 years now. So, I bought one. Genesis is going to sound soooo good, you guys.

Nice to see the love for Katamari Damacy here. Such a great game. The PS2 was just such a monster console at the time. This is the kind of niche game that would become possible more often consoles later with digital distribution. But the PS2 install base was large enough that it could happen. The game was only $20 at launch I believe, too.

It was $20. I bought it week of release, though it wasn't easy to find!

Fularu

Banned
Sure maybe the PAL version, but the US release is cheaper where Wings is more expensive.

Wings of Wor is around 25$ loose

Phelios is about 35$ (cheapest I could find). Anyway Phelios isn't really cheaper unless you go for a japanese release (in which case you can get a CIB copy for about 30$)

I think people should have both /shrug :p

Laws00

My Japanese sega Saturn is still on track to be coming here from Russia in 2 days but it has not been released from the facility yet.

Like I said was hesitant on even getting this thing due to all the USA and Russia crap going on and now the Syria bombing that just happened . Ugh

Danny Dudekisser

I played 3 for the first time last year (well, the first real shot I've given the game.) It's pretty great. Not as consistently excellent as 2, but still great.

As I said just get the Pal release of Gynoug for like 30$ shipped CIB and the japanese version of Phelios for about the same shipped (also CIB) if that's important to your collecting :p

Wouldn't neither of those work on a US system? I thought mega drive had a different shape to the cart.

Fularu

Banned
Wouldn't neither of those work on a US system? I thought mega drive had a different shape to the cart.

PAL and US carts are the exact same shape and Gunoug isn't a ragion locked game

I can use JPN carts on my US genesis without modifications but on some models you just break two side tabs

Laws00

Oh man was so worried

my Saturn is in Jersey City right now. So I may have it today maybe not or it will come on tomorrow definitely. Only took 2 months to get here

Now I can try and make backups of games now

Fularu

Banned
The outrage in the NES Classic thread is insane.

I don't get it

I mean I got one on launch day and it's still in its box (it's for the GF and she didn't bother with it so far... despite beeing super excited to get one... oh well... I have 0 interest for it because Nintendo only gained relevance for me with the SFC, I'm a Sega fanboy through and through, never owned a NES)

I don't get it

I mean I got one on launch day and it's still in its box (it's for the GF and she didn't bother with it so far... despite beeing super excited to get one... oh well... I have 0 interest for it because Nintendo only gained relevance for me with the SFC, I'm a Sega fanboy through and through, never owned a NES)

HDMI output is a big deal. The bottom line is most HDTVs can't display 240p correctly and if you plug an old NES into it, the result is ugly trash. I have multiple casual friends who bitch about that; they are hardcore classic gamers but every year or two they try to plug a NES or N64 into their cheap flat panel and get pissed off. Most people don't have a CRT or upscaler so they will be more attracted to units like this; proper display quality at a fair price.

Peltz

HDMI output is a big deal. The bottom line is most HDTVs can't display 240p correctly and if you plug an old NES into it, the result is ugly trash. I have multiple casual friends who bitch about that; they are hardcore classic gamers but every year or two they try to plug a NES or N64 into their cheap flat panel and get pissed off. Most people don't have a CRT or upscaler so they will be more attracted to units like this; proper display quality at a fair price.

I guess.... But it's such a limited product. The Wii was a thing and is pretty well suited for playing old games on an HDTV.

Fularu

Banned
Tell them to buy an ossc instead of a poir emulation box with lag/latency issues

I don't get it

Time to flip it for mad profit, lol

Yes Boss!

I guess.... But it's such a limited product. The Wii was a thing and is pretty well suited for playing old games on an HDTV.

Huh,

Wii looks like garbage on an HDTV. It really only shines with Component and on a frammeister or a CRT.

In a pinch, a super small HDTV will work.

Top Bottom