• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Fularu

Banned
Did you read the link?

The KOF95 cart has character data on it.

Again what does that have to do with a CD Drive emulator. As long as the CD boots, nothing prevents it (in the Rhea/Phoebe situation) to still access the needed data on the cart.

It's obvious you need the cart to run the game, but again, this has nothing to do with why it wouldn't work.

Edit : also tone it down, the link gave no answers to the question I was asking.

D.Lo

Again what does that have to do with a CD Drive emulator. As long as the CD boots, nothing prevents it (in the Rhea/Phoebe situation) to still access the needed data on the cart.

It's obvious you need the cart to run the game, but again, this has nothing to do with why it wouldn't work.

Edit : also tone it down, the link gave no answers to the question I was asking.
Yes, everyone agrees it would likely work if you had the cart. KOF and that one other game need their exact carts to work, aka you need to own the original game no matter what.

Every other game could be played with a drive emulator and action replay, but for those two games you cannot ever get away without owning the real thing. So it's essentially like a super everdrive, it can never have 100% compatibility.

Fularu

Banned
Yes, everyone agrees it would likely work if you had the cart. KOF and that one other game need their exact carts to work, aka you need to own the original game no matter what.

Every other game could be played with a drive emulator and action replay, but for those two games you cannot ever get away without owning the real thing. So it's essentially like a super everdrive, it can never have 100% compatibility.

Well that would be prety obvious. I would hope most people getting a phoebe or rheah are doing so because they own the games they put on their SD-Cards. KoF 95 is super cheap anyway if you absolutely need it in your collection.

Which makes me realise I have a ton of Saturn stuff I picked up lately that I should post somewhere.

IrishNinja

It's gamer mentality. If it's not perfect, it's dogshit. Unless it's free. But then we'll still find something to bitch about, just not as loudly.

i get it...i just read enough philosophy to accept that everything we do is by approximation.

if i don't notice a dead pixel or slightly off geometry, it's not really there!

Did any of you print out a Genesis cover for Sonic Mania for the cart/ring to sit inside a box?

not gonna lie, i've thought about it! where's a good image of the cover?

....doesn't have 100% compatibility.... well Rhea is dogshit then, pass

Well that would be prety obvious. I would hope most people getting a phoebe or rheah are doing so because they own the games they put on their SD-Cards.
Well that will be my main plan when I get my Rhea(however the thought of trying out Saturn games outside my price range hasn't crossed my mind). Granted the other huge reason I want it is because I want lobotomize my Saturn and put it's innards into a custom case. Rhea will allow me to decrease the footprint a bit height wise.
edit: Speaking of which, is anyone in the Toronto/GTA area selling a Saturn by any chance?
KoF 95 is super cheap anyway if you absolutely need it in your collection.
I always thought it was cheap because you need a modchip or a Japanese console to play it. I can't use a KOF95 cart and Action Replay cart
for bypassing region lock
simultaneously. Rhea however is region-free to my knowledge

so what is everyone playing this labor day weekend?

i'm going to be gunning through double dragon II for nes. i just grabbed it recently.
and this tuesday Yakuza 1 remake

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

i'm going to be gunning through double dragon II for nes. i just grabbed it recently.

That's uh... the week after next, right?

I'm going to be playing Yakuza Kiwami and drinking Japanese whiskey. That's probably it. I've been playing Trails in the Sky: SC, but I took a break for Sonic Mania and probably won't pick that up again until after I finish Kiwami.

I really can't wait, though -- insane to think it's been 11 fucking years since I played that first game. More amazing that, despite being a pretty mediocre game, Yakuza ended up becoming one of my absolute favorite series.

Edit: To be clear, I think the first Yakuza is mediocre. The others are fucking rad. The story in 1 was great, but the gameplay was clumsy and felt unpolished. It was a very... Western feeling game for the time.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
That's uh... the week after next, right?

I'm going to be playing Yakuza Kiwami and drinking Japanese whiskey. That's probably it. I've been playing Trails in the Sky: SC, but I took a break for Sonic Mania and probably won't pick that up again until after I finish Kiwami.

I really can't wait, though -- insane to think it's been 11 fucking years since I played that first game. More amazing that, despite being a pretty mediocre game, Yakuza ended up becoming one of my absolute favorite series.

Edit: To be clear, I think the first Yakuza is mediocre. The others are fucking rad. The story in 1 was great, but the gameplay was clumsy and felt unpolished. It was a very... Western feeling game for the time.

I think the original is great, but guess I havent played it in about ten years either.

Playing Bloodborne these days, but today me and a friend picked up the original Zelda and played through the first four dungeons. Such an awesome game!

Tain

I'll probably be done with Ys: Memories of Celceta by then. I've been toying with playing through S3&K, maybe that would be a good time for it. Or maybe I'll try Ys V? Yakuza Kiwami is something I'm not sure if I want to play, but I still haven't played through Yakuza 2... 🤔

The big deal for me will be this weird game called "releasing a demo on Steam".

i keep forgetting Labor Day is next weekend. but i'm going to binge on Yakuza Kiwami.
if i don't beat it before the weekend comes since it comes out this Tuesday =)

my list:
Yakuza 1 Remake
Double Dragon II nes
Tekken 3 unlock some characters by getting some endings.
and if i can get to it. finally beat Zanac Neo

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yakuza Kiwami 2 is the best thing.

That game was awesome as fuck. Although, I remember that I basically blew through the entire game in a weekend, cuz I didn't have my PS2 at school, so I had to get through the whole thing while I was still home. Thus, I skipped most of the side content. I'm ashamed of myself.

I will correct this.

Yes Boss!

Games on Labor Day weekend for me will be the same games I'm playing now: Chicken Wiggle, Uncharted Lost Legacy, and will continue on to my 100% on Hey Pikmin. I will probably also start a new game...thinking of finally tackling Luigi Mansion 3DS.

May also start my Sonic Mania. Checked it out briefly but have not started it yet.

Peltz

I'll be out of town so it will be all handheld/Switch stuff. Most likely a lot of ARMS, MK8D, Splatoon 2, and Sonic Mania. Maybe I'll also tackle hard mode in BotW, but that's a big investment I'm not sure I'm ready to make.

I'll also play some Kirby Tilt N Tumble on my GBC if I find myself outside.

Oh, and maybe also some Fire Emblem on GBA. I have a save file I've been playing off and on all year.

entremet

Strange that sprite work still exists in the indie scene, but these big corporations can't even touch sprite work. I know it's expensive, but it's so timeless.

Laws00

What y'all think about that Secret of Mana remake? Art looks ugly af imo

this

and i got into the train late for the game via wii release so the game doesn't hit me with nostalgia like other games

i'm whatever with the game

it looks like Threads of Fate art style.

37688-Threads_of_Fate_[U]-4.png

D.Lo

Strange that sprite work still exists in the indie scene, but these big corporations can't even touch sprite work. I know it's expensive, but it's so timeless.
I really don't think it's expensive. Otherwise how are indies getting out at least SNES quality (though not Metal Slug) graphics so easily. Heck the small outfits doing GBA/DS 2D games did the same thing before that.

Heck even the alleged poster child of expensive 2D, Street Fighter III, had a far smaller staff than the disgusting looking outsourced abomination that was Street Fighter (EX)4.

I think the emphasis on 3D for 10-15 years, partly driven by platform holders, and partly by idiotic press outlets (the 'pixel tax - including this gem “While they look a bit pixelated, the character models look quite good”-IGN review of KOF XIII) led to 2D games being seen as old/crappy and the art of pixel design simply dying in professional circles on an elite level

The style looks really similar to Adventures of Mana on Vita, which started life as a 聖剣伝説 remake for phones. Given the phone situation, 3D was an interesting choice there, especially as just porting the original over (4-shades-of-gray and all) or taking from the GBA remake were likely not options.

Re-using the same style for a remake of #2 makes sense for consistency.

entremet

I really don't think it's expensive. Otherwise how are indies getting out at least SNES quality (though not Metal Slug) graphics so easily. Heck the small outfits doing GBA/DS 2D games did the same thing before that.

Heck even the alleged poster child of expensive 2D, Street Fighter III, had a far smaller staff than the disgusting looking outsourced abomination that was Street Fighter (EX)4.

I think the emphasis on 3D for 10-15 years, partly driven by platform holders, and partly by idiotic press outlets (the 'pixel tax - including this gem “While they look a bit pixelated, the character models look quite good”-IGN review of KOF XIII) led to 2D games being seen as old/crappy and the art of pixel design simply dying in professional circles on an elite level

Another thing is engine development. Much of the engines are based on 3D graphical archictectures.

IrishNinja

Yeah, but when the compilation on the Switch goes untranslated? That makes some Dreamcast-era visual remake sting that much more.

ive been sitting on a repro cart of seiken densetsu III for years now, and was still holding out hope we'd finally see this localized...ugghh

Top Bottom