• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

D.Lo

Managed to get my spare Spitball Sparky Game & Watch handheld today. I never managed to figure out the screen problem with my other Spitball SParky G&W so I shelled out for a cheap(ish) loose handheld that is a bit scratched up, but has a great screen. So I've combined the two together and I now have a awesome mint condition handheld that fully works :)

I've now got 36/60 handhelds complete, just another 24 left to collect. And those are the most expensive of the bunch! Love these handhelds so much though!
G&W has got to be one of the coolest things to collect.

Such immaculate design and engineering.

If I had infinite money I'd get more lol. I'm settling with a few favourites.

dubc35

Yeah, I've got the extra port for my Xbox to do 5.1. Problem is that I can't use the component cables at the same time for that cleaner image.
Microsoft offered a component cable that has a digital optical out integrated for audio. I have it hooked up to my 5.1 system.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Microsoft offered a component cable that has a digital optical out integrated for audio. I have it hooked up to my 5.1 system.

I think nearly all Xbox component cables also had an optical out capability.

Problem with my Monster cable is that the optical out went through a proprietary adapter you attached to it, which seemed hard to come by. I eventually just grabbed the Microsoft one for its optical out.

G&W has got to be one of the coolest things to collect.

Such immaculate design and engineering.

If I had infinite money I'd get more lol. I'm settling with a few favourites.

Yeah, I gotta hand it to Nintendo, these handhelds are still really playable to this day. I do wonder how long it'll take to get stuff like Egg, the last couple of Panorama games I'm short, the competition Super Mario Bros G&W along with the original releases of stuff like Ball, Flagman and Judge. Can't see me getting any of those anytime soon, its getting harder and harder to find them in good condition with the original packaging (plus looking out for fakes/repros is a pain in the ass).

D.Lo

Yeah, I gotta hand it to Nintendo, these handhelds are still really playable to this day. I do wonder how long it'll take to get stuff like Egg, the last couple of Panorama games I'm short, the competition Super Mario Bros G&W along with the original releases of stuff like Ball, Flagman and Judge. Can't see me getting any of those anytime soon, its getting harder and harder to find them in good condition with the original packaging (plus looking out for fakes/repros is a pain in the ass).
Yeah it's going to be a nightmare to go complete on them.

On the other hand, they'll hold their value pretty well for the same reason they are cool to start with.

My goal is the best one or two of each of the major formats (Original, Wide Screen, Multi, Panorama, Micro Vs, Tabletop etc). I'm not going into the obscure format ones like Sparky, or the insanely awesome but insanely expensive Crystal Screen series.

I haven't played them all, but I think DKJ Panorama and DK Hockey Micro Vs are the most impressive ones overall. The best games of their formats and super cool devices.

DKII, Balloon Fight, Super Mario Bros, Zelda and Fire are my favourites to play.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I only played the Donkey Kong-game, which I found very impressive as a child and would love to own. Nice to know there are many others that are considered better!

D.Lo

I only played the Donkey Kong-game, which I found very impressive as a child and would love to own. Nice to know there are many others that are considered better!
DK1, while a very solid game, is actually a relatively early release. They got quite a lot better around that time, and I think DK2 is a significantly more sophisticated game, released just a year later.

And they really pushed what was possible with the format in games like SMB, and created fantastic engineering feats with stuff like Panorama series (a super clever, much more portable refinement of the Tabletop format).

The final main release, the Zelda Game & Watch, is incredibly structurally deep for a game with a fixed LDC display. Eight dungeons each with a unique map, with 6-10ish rooms in each, plus a dragon to fight at the end of each dungeon.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
DK1, while a very solid game, is actually a relatively early release. They got quite a lot better around that time, and I think DK2 is a significantly more sophisticated game, released just a year later.

And they really pushed what was possible with the format in games like SMB, and created fantastic engineering feats with stuff like Panorama series (a super clever, much more portable refinement of the Tabletop format).

The final main release, the Zelda Game & Watch, is incredibly structurally deep for a game with a fixed LDC display. Eight dungeons each with a unique map, with 6-10ish rooms in each, plus a dragon to fight at the end of each dungeon.

Sounds awesome. Would love Nintendo to rerelease some of these games so people could actually play them.

I thought this would be the place to ask; has anyone ordered from Yamatoku on ebay since they started sending combined shipping invoices immediately after winning a bid, last month or so? I ask because my previous order and current order have been f'd up through ebay/paypal. I can't seem to pay the invoice. I have never had a problem until they were proactive in sending the invoice. Last time I spent too much time going back and forth with ebay/paypal who had no clue what their own error codes mean and eventually had to contact Yamatoku directly and send them payment directly through paypal.
With the increase in fees I was already on my way out but wanted to pick up some 'cheap' handhelds.

Yeah it's going to be a nightmare to go complete on them.

On the other hand, they'll hold their value pretty well for the same reason they are cool to start with.

My goal is the best one or two of each of the major formats (Original, Wide Screen, Multi, Panorama, Micro Vs, Tabletop etc). I'm not going into the obscure format ones like Sparky, or the insanely awesome but insanely expensive Crystal Screen series.

I haven't played them all, but I think DKJ Panorama and DK Hockey Micro Vs are the most impressive ones overall. The best games of their formats and super cool devices.

DKII, Balloon Fight, Super Mario Bros, Zelda and Fire are my favourites to play.

SMB and Zelda are two of my favourite G&W games as they managed to get the overall basic concepts of the games and squeeze them into LCD handhelds, sure they aren't a patch on the console games but I was impressed at just how much they got in there for the time.

Favourite wise I do love all the Donkey Kong games I've got so far - the original DK and DK Jr are fab games, I've spent hours on each of those maxing out my scores.
I love many of the Mario handhelds as well - Mario's Cement Factory is awesome, so much better than the version they put on one of the Game & Watch Gallery compilations, and the dual screen Mario Bros game was my first ever G&W so it holds a special place in my collection.
Green House is an awesome game as well, one of my more "recent" titles but is insanely addictive!

Managed to snap a few quick pictures of some of my collection, apologies for the quality:

SMB and Zelda are two of my favourite G&W games as they managed to get the overall basic concepts of the games and squeeze them into LCD handhelds, sure they aren't a patch on the console games but I was impressed at just how much they got in there for the time.

Favourite wise I do love all the Donkey Kong games I've got so far - the original DK and DK Jr are fab games, I've spent hours on each of those maxing out my scores.
I love many of the Mario handhelds as well - Mario's Cement Factory is awesome, so much better than the version they put on one of the Game & Watch Gallery compilations, and the dual screen Mario Bros game was my first ever G&W so it holds a special place in my collection.
Green House is an awesome game as well, one of my more "recent" titles but is insanely addictive!

Managed to snap a few quick pictures of some of my collection, apologies for the quality:

i had the whole row of the 2nd picture

and 3rd (except Zelda, NES came way later)

i had the mario book type one in the middle of the first photo.

i remember there was a way to glitch the screen to cheat (pulling out and setting in the batteries or was it using a pen/pin to hit the time reset button.) i did it for oil panic and DK jr. such fun times.

i had the whole row of the 2nd picture

and 3rd (except Zelda, NES came way later)

i had the mario book type one in the middle of the first photo.

i remember there was a way to glitch the screen to cheat (pulling out and setting in the batteries or was it using a pen/pin to hit the time reset button.) i did it for oil panic and DK jr. such fun times.

Didn't realise you could glitch the G&W games, might have to try that sometime just for kicks!

Khaz

I remember I had Donkey Kong 3, the one with separate wired controllers and a two player mode. It was a nice unit but I never really played it with someone else (we'd play some real videogames when I had a friend at home). Once you got the timing right the AI proved no challenge either, so in the end I just tossed it as a the kiddie toy it was. I kind of regret not selling it, but I don't regret not playing it.

The solo games are more interesting, like the ones you have to bounce a bunch of falling stuff. I kind of want one of those. tbh I'd rather have a Game & Watch Complete collection on a handheld instead.

Glowsquid

I have Everything or Nothing on my list of games I need to play. Do you think the Xbox release is the best version that came out?

for what it's worth, IGN did Digital Foundry-style comparisons of multiplatform games back in the days http://ca.ign.com/articles/2004/02/18/james-bond-007-everything-or-nothing-head-to-head . their verdict for that particular game is that the xbox version is the best in every respect except for the lack of online coop present in the PS2 version (which is irrelevant nodaways since the servers were shut down).

Didn't realise you could glitch the G&W games, might have to try that sometime just for kicks!

i remember now! i was running out of batteries and mid game trying to get to the battery lid. i opened and re-closed it quickly before swapping them and discovered i had glitched 2 guys holding buckets static in oil panic... being a curious little kid i tried it with DK jr. too. hahaha

man, i envy that collection =)

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Amen to that.

Yes, though the Gamecube version is close as well. Avoid PS2 though.

Due to the lower disk size, did they lower any of the effects work for the GameCube version?

It's on a single disc and does 480p, plus it looks virtually identical as I played both versions.

Possible, though usually the first thing to go on GameCube ports is audio quality via more compression to fit on the disc and the fact that GameCube only supported up to Dolby Pro Logic II. Xbox games were capable of true Dolby 5.1 Surround.

for what it's worth, IGN did Digital Foundry-style comparisons of multiplatform games back in the days http://ca.ign.com/articles/2004/02/18/james-bond-007-everything-or-nothing-head-to-head . their verdict for that particular game is that the xbox version is the best in every respect except for the lack of online coop present in the PS2 version (which is irrelevant nodaways since the servers were shut down).

...get the Xbox version. ^_^

RerezDude

I was at a local swap meet the other day and found a one handed SNES controller so I made a video on it:

XZYmug7.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSKfzTXL2Zw

Does anyone know of other one handed controllers that were released for consoles in the 90s?

ASCII started the one-handed controllers on the Super Famicom. Hori made a one-handed controller for PS1 that looks a lot nicer than than the ASCII ones, but I perfer the ASCII controller ergonomics.

I vaguely remember a website ran by a disabled elderly woman who liked playing games and recommended these controllers but I can't find it at the moment.

Khaz

I have the ASCII grip for the SNES, Saturn, PS1 and PS2. They are neat little controllers, great for playing RPGs or any non-action-based games really. Saves you one hand for doing whatever.

i remember now! i was running out of batteries and mid game trying to get to the battery lid. i opened and re-closed it quickly before swapping them and discovered i had glitched 2 guys holding buckets static in oil panic... being a curious little kid i tried it with DK jr. too. hahaha

man, i envy that collection =)

Thanks :) I love my Game and Watch collection, its one of the few things I thought I could collect that would be fun to go after each game and also it'd be fun to play each of them. Its my second favourite collection (first being my Mega Man collection, not surprising as its my favourite game series ever).

Plus thanks to the eBay 20% off coupon that was in effect earlier, I picked up another G&W I had on my radar (can't complain with that discount!). Now the long arduous wait for it to arrive begins...

^ really nice!

hey guys,

i took a gamble and ordered Twilight Princess GameCube off ebay for 38 shipped with no description and
it came in today with Super E.D.F. that i best offered 17 shipped:
i got the Super Famicom version because the audio/soundtrack is superior to the PAL/NTSC version.
(mentioned this in a post way back)

Kickass set. Worth a lot of beans these days too.

How about Sparky?

Thanks :) I should really take some pictures of Sparky when I get the chance, especially as its working perfectly now. Now if only I could find its companion (Crab Grab) to complete this sub set.

Looking ahead at my next purchase, I'd love just to even get one of the tabletop games this year (they look awesome) but boxed ones seem to be few and far between at the moment. I might have to turn to Yahoo Japan Auctions next.

D.Lo

Thanks :) I should really take some pictures of Sparky when I get the chance, especially as its working perfectly now. Now if only I could find its companion (Crab Grab) to complete this sub set.

Looking ahead at my next purchase, I'd love just to even get one of the tabletop games this year (they look awesome) but boxed ones seem to be few and far between at the moment. I might have to turn to Yahoo Japan Auctions next.
Honestly I've found them to actually be more expensive in Japan, certainly with the added postage costs.

You can get lucky actually travelling in Japan though.

Timu

televator

^ really nice!

hey guys,

i took a gamble and ordered Twilight Princess GameCube off ebay for 38 shipped with no description and
it came in today with Super E.D.F. that i best offered 17 shipped:

i got the Super Famicom version because the audio/soundtrack is superior to the PAL/NTSC version.
(mentioned this in a post way back)

Nice. I'm glad I managed to get mine for $40 when they were at $50+. It didn't look mint, but it was mostly because the original case was beat up. I just swapped the case for a good empty one I had.

Honestly I've found them to actually be more expensive in Japan, certainly with the added postage costs.

You can get lucky actually travelling in Japan though.

I've had mixed responses with Japan. On good days you can find G&W handhelds that are generally in better condition compared to those you find on eBay and the like. Prices aren't as great these days as compared with a few years back, but I still use them as a decent alternative from time to time.

Nice. I'm glad I managed to get mine for $40 when they were at $50+. It didn't look mint, but it was mostly because the original case was beat up. I just swapped the case for a good empty one I had.

you know what's funny? for twilight auction, the ebayer's name was goodwill_industries_of_san_diego-books. lol
i think that's the name of that company everyone was talking about a few pages back.

Twilight Princess is one of the expensive games i still have from when I originally bought my copy. Lost the manual since I used to read it all the time. got a replacement OEM manual in impeccable condition this past week for 15$ or so. Happy to have it, even if 15$ for a manual is rough.

Also have the strategy guide, which is a work of art.

Twilight Princess is one of the expensive games i still have from when I originally bought my copy. Lost the manual since I used to read it all the time. got a replacement OEM manual in impeccable condition this past week for 15$ or so. Happy to have it, even if 15$ for a manual is rough.

Also have the strategy guide, which is a work of art.

oh, i better look for a strategy guide then =)

Twilight Princess is worth north of $50, eh? Might be time to sell mine. Doubt I'll ever play it again. Can't imagine wading through that 12-hour tutorial ever again...

Twilight Princess is worth north of $50, eh? Might be time to sell mine. Doubt I'll ever play it again. Can't imagine wading through that 12-hour tutorial ever again...

I still think that's massively overstated. There's no more handholding than any other 3D Zelda, really. It just takes some time to introduce the setting, something that would be pretty universally held as a positive attribute if it was any other story telling medium.

OK, I exaggerated but still, it takes a while to get rolling. The dungeons are stellar, though.

Funny - I have a GC and only ever owned five games, four of which are Zelda titles: WW, TP, the OoT/MM disc and the Collector's Edition disc with those two games plus Zelda 1 & 2. I also have Metroid Prime. But if I keep my GC, it's going to be primarily for the Gameboy Player. I'd like to look into other games for the system, but it seems every non-Nintendo game was ported elsewhere. I might give something like Pikmin or Super Monkey Ball a try.

But I'm not sure I'll every play TP or WW again so I might as well sell them in order to buy NES, SNES and Genesis stuff. Might to Ocarina again. And I actually never did play MM...

OK, I exaggerated but still, it takes a while to get rolling. The dungeons are stellar, though.

Funny - I have a GC and only ever owned five games, four of which are Zelda titles: WW, TP, the OoT/MM disc and the Collector's Edition disc with those two games plus Zelda 1 & 2. I also have Metroid Prime. But if I keep my GC, it's going to be primarily for the Gameboy Player. I'd like to look into other games for the system, but it seems every non-Nintendo game was ported elsewhere. I might give something like Pikmin or Super Monkey Ball a try.

But I'm not sure I'll every play TP or WW again so I might as well sell them in order to buy NES, SNES and Genesis stuff. Might to Ocarina again. And I actually never did play MM...

tell me if you're ever serious about selling them.

televator

you know what's funny? for twilight auction, the ebayer's name was goodwill_industries_of_san_diego-books. lol
i think that's the name of that company everyone was talking about a few pages back.

It's a nationwide second hand outlet that people unwittingly give valuables to "donate" their old things to. They're a shady business that takes advantage of government payola considered a non-profit business that "provides charity" back to the community.

If you can rescue items from them, that's great. It's the donating part and the way they treat employees/take advantage of low skilled labor worker while the corporate buddy system at the top cashes in big that's the problem.

Edit: I used to work the as a trusted "high asset" employee for a few years BTW. I was well like by a lot of the management staff all the way up to the head of the retail operations center. I was privy to a lot of locked office doors. lol

Don't play Majora's Mask on GC, that version is busted. Play on an N64 or Wii or 3DS instead.

I never realized but you're right that almost every good non-Nintendo game on GC had been ported elsewhere. Still, Nintendo put out a lot of great games on that system and there are some things that are still neat on GC like SoulCalibur 2 with Link that you can't get elsewhere.

televator

The 3DS versions of OoT and MM are the current best versions. Higher framerate (animations too) and better textures go along way to bring those games into the present. Too bad 3DS is still only 240p though. I hope HD versions of the 3DS remasters come out eventually.

entremet

TP GC was on my list for a long time, but the Remaster made it irrevalant to me thankfully. I got a nice Amiibo, one of the better ones, and a great port in HD.

Thanks for the tip on MM. Don't own a 3DS, Wii or Wii U. Might get a 3DS at some point and definitely want to play Zelda games on it. So yeah, that's another disc I can sell.

Was just looking at some best-of lists and since I don't want to play any RPGs, it looks like I only want like 3 or 4 games. F-Zero GX, the Pikmins, Eternal Darkness, Chibi Robo...

But yeah, gonna get SD loader, GBI and one of those SNES to GC controller adapters from Raphnet and enjoy some GameBoy action!

D.Lo

The main reason to move on from the GameCube is the Wii and Wii U supporting booting GCN games from a HDD. I love the cool GCN discs, but my Wii auto-boots to the game selection USB Loader GUI where I can select any of my Wii or GCN games from one place.

The Wii U is even better, no auto-boot to USB loader, but has perfect integer scaling to 960p of GCN games with Nintendon't.

The Gamecube is my single favourite piece of gaming hardware, a truly beautiful design and a complete engineering marvel. For this tiny quiet reliable box to have by far the highest polygon performance in-game of that generation (in the Rogue Squadron games) was just remarkable (of course even Microsoft agreed since the 360 is almost exactly a beefed up Gamecube). It also had outstanding IQ with the component cables, and playing wireless with the wavebird all generation made playing PS2 and XB feel creaky at the time.

But now I can barely justify keeping it hooked up when it's easier and better to play three generations of Nintendo games on the Wii U. I do have it set up with the GBP but prefer to use the SP-101 or Micro mostly. And I could sell my D-terminal cable for AU$300...

Top Bottom