• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

i couldn't recognize you without the varia suit =) were you wearing zero suit that day?
[/SPOILER]

Ahh I went gravity suit that day ;)

Nice haul! Still need to pick myself up a TG16/PC engine one of these before they get too pricey. I've been holding off/playing them on Wii VC for too long..

Does anyone know if Digital Press sells NeoGeo MVS carts by the way? Looking for a good spot to pick these up in the tristate area, not too many options that I know of unfortunately.

Thank you and they have. They don't currently have a lot of NeoGeo stuff, though they did have a REALLY nice looking AES on Saturday and a few AES games. That stuff can change so fast though. As of Saturday they didn't have any MVS stuff but they certainly have in the past.

Arzehn

Anyone have advice on new rubber pads for SNES controllers?
The right movement on my dpads are all stiff (thanks Mario). I opened it up and cleaned it and can see that the pad has tears. Does anyone know a good+safe place to purchase with paypal?

I found this: http://www.nintendorepairhut.com/repairsupplies.html
But I have no idea if they're legit and if their pads are any good, anyone have any positive experiences with them or someone else?

I'm Canadian and it's a pita to find something without shipping fees that cost more than the products (ebay). The above website costs $10 shipping but the pads are so cheap I could order like 4-5 to make it worth it.

Peltz

How do you all think 8- and 16-bit consoles would sound over a 2.1 audio set like this?

https://springfield.craigslist.org/ele/5498574005.html

Those honestly don't look that great, but it's all about your budget. You'd be hard pressed to find a better option for $25.

If you're willing to spend a bit more, I'm sure we'd be able to help you find something great. Sound scales tremendously... there are $25 options, $25,000 options, and everything else in between.

Khaz

So how do people hook up RF-only systems to a PVM?

They hook it up to a VCR, which outputs Composite. If your PVM can take Composite you're good, otherwise you need a Composite to RGB converter.

It won't magically clean up the signal though, it will still look like shitty RF.

Those honestly don't look that great, but it's all about your budget. You'd be hard pressed to find a better option for $25.

If you're willing to spend a bit more, I'm sure we'd be able to help you find something great. Sound scales tremendously... there are $25 options, $25,000 options, and everything else in between.

There was a newer Harmon Kardon set a while back for the same price. I figure these are out there a lot and I'll come upon a good one eventually. I am only interested in improving the mono sound from my PVM. I'm currently using an old pair of 90s PC speakers and I think they sound just fine. I want more bass, though, especially for Genesis music.

Peltz

There was a newer Harmon Kardon set a while back for the same price. I figure these are out there a lot and I'll come upon a good one eventually. I am only interested in improving the mono sound from my PVM. I'm currently using an old pair of 90s PC speakers and I think they sound just fine. I want more bass, though, especially for Genesis music.
Is your budget strictly $25?

Peltz

They hook it up to a VCR, which outputs Composite. If your PVM can take Composite you're good, otherwise you need a Composite to RGB converter.

It won't magically clean up the signal though, it will still look like shitty RF.
VCR is the only way to do this? I feel like there must be a more practical solution out there. A VCR takes up way too much space.

Anyone here try comparing the Gamecube's composite to the Wii's Gamecube backwards compatibility with component?

Wondering if it's really worth the money and if upgrading to a used Wii will provide decent results on my 50" plasma.

Peltz

Anyone here try comparing the Gamecube's composite to the Wii's Gamecube backwards compatibility with component?

Wondering if it's really worth the money and if upgrading to a used Wii will provide decent results on my 50" plasma.
It's not worth the money unless you really want GB Player via component (which I do). Wii component cables produce a nearly identical picture (I cannot tell the difference personally).

RerezDude

I made a video a while back I think you folks might like.

The First Video Game Console Ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44i4LQbCIzM
LWEaBy7.jpg

It's not worth the money unless you really want GB Player via component (which I do). Wii component cables produce a nearly identical picture (I cannot tell the difference personally).

You can't tell the difference between composite and component output for Gamecube games?

If so that's kind of a bummer.

yeah grab a used wii for like 30=40 bucks it's totally worth it.

Khaz

VCR is the only way to do this? I feel like there must be a more practical solution out there. A VCR takes up way too much space.

No, googling around I see there are boxes to convert RF to Composite, but they cost near $100. VCR is just the easiest, cheapest way people do it because they either have an old VCR lying around or can find one at a thrift shop.

Khaz

K you worded that kinda awkwardly.

Wii component is a massive upgrade over GC composite.

The answer to the question "Should I upgrade from Composite to [...]" is yes.
There is no such thing as good Composite, anything is a massive upgrade over it.

Peltz

You can't tell the difference between composite and component output for Gamecube games?

If so that's kind of a bummer.
Um... No I was talking about GCN component vs Wii component. I guess I misread the question.

Composite on GCN to component on Wii is totally worth the investment. It's not even up for debate.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Im using RGB for the Game boy Player, which looks really good imo. Would component really look even better? I didnt think it would matter for those titles?

Im using RGB for the Game boy Player, which looks really good imo. Would component really look even better? I didnt think it would matter for those titles?
If you're using the official software it supports 480p in NTSC regions over component.

You should be using GBI for playing game boy games any way, imo. In 240p.

televator

If you're considering a new console to be a multi-console library player. It's also worth considering a WiiU with Nintendont Homebrew. You'll get the best image quality for 3 consoles in 1. It's a bit pricey than just getting a Wii, but the overal value of having acces to 3 console libraries + e-shop + HDMI output is rather great. The downsides being that there's no current way to force 240p in WiiU mode, and GC games have to be played from a memory card... Or that last part could also be considered a plus.

D.Lo

No, googling around I see there are boxes to convert RF to Composite, but they cost near $100. VCR is just the easiest, cheapest way people do it because they either have an old VCR lying around or can find one at a thrift shop.
You can get RF to RCA boxes for about $20 delivered on eBay. Much smaller and as good as any VCR.

Kind of like the RF to VGA box I was using until I got my new TV which has an international tuner.

Timu

If you're considering a new console to be a multi-console library player. It's also worth considering a WiiU with Nintendont Homebrew. You'll get the best image quality for 3 consoles in 1. It's a bit pricey than just getting a Wii, but the overal value of having acces to 3 console libraries + e-shop + HDMI output is rather great. The downsides being that there's no current way to force 240p in WiiU mode, and GC games have to be played from a memory card... Or that last part could also be considered a plus.
Yep, it's literally perfect!!!

Is your budget strictly $25?

No, not necessarily. You also have to understand that my retro setup is in my basement using a storage shelf. So I don't really have the room or the desire to have nice, huge speakers. Bookshelf speakers of some kind would be as far as I'd want to go. I figure a 2.1 PC audio setup makes the most sense, and I'm just kind of figuring crusing CL for a used one is nearly as good as getting a new one.

I also have a pair of Bose 161 bookshelf/rear speakers that I'm not using. I have considered selling them, but I've also considered using them for my retro setup. But I'll need to get an amp for that. The little Lepai amps get good marks, but they are only 20W amps and my speakers are rated for 10-100W. I've always heard you should get an amp that's more powerful than your speaker ratings for "overhead" (now I'm just throwing out terms I've read online), and after the Lepai amps it looks like things essentially jump up to $100 or so. And I don't think they'll have as much bass as a 2.1 setup. But then again, it's not like these retro consoles were designed with subwoofers in mind. The Bose speakers probably have a nice enough low end.

So would a 20W amp be OK for speakers rated up to 100W?

blurrygil

Herp derp. I knew that but wasn't thinking when posted. Was in a hurry to leave work, lol.

I'd be wary of this specific product, then. Pulled from AMZ (many more like it, 1 1/2 avg rating):

Don't buy this. It isn't compatible with US standards ...
By Amazon Customer on March 28, 2016
Color: US Verified Purchase

Don't buy this. It isn't compatible with US standards. No manual is included but they will email it to you on request. Scan lines are out of sync. Connector for the antenna needs a PAL to F-type adapter (not included).

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
The World is Not Enough(N64)
Agent Under Fire
Nightfire
Everything or Nothing(IMO this is one of the best)
From Russia with Love
Quantum of Solace(PS2)

Agreed.

Goldeneye gets it's merits for being an excellent first person shooter skinned with the James Bond setting. (see: Perfect Dark)

Everything or Nothing 007 is the best Bond game.

RerezDude

Agreed.

Goldeneye gets it's merits for being an excellent first person shooter skinned with the James Bond setting. (see: Perfect Dark)

Everything or Nothing 007 is the best Bond game.

I have Everything or Nothing on my list of games I need to play. Do you think the Xbox release is the best version that came out?

-

I just got sent a Super Retro Trio in the mail from Retro-bit. Did a little review of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9yiWHvVHmc
X86Sxhwm.jpg

A question came up in the comments a lot about support for console add-ons. Does anyone know if they make clone systems that can run 32X or Sega CD?

televator

Due to the lower disk size, did they lower any of the effects work for the GameCube version?

Possible, though usually the first thing to go on GameCube ports is audio quality via more compression to fit on the disc and the fact that GameCube only supported up to Dolby Pro Logic II. Xbox games were capable of true Dolby 5.1 Surround.

RerezDude

Possible, though usually the first thing to go on GameCube ports is audio quality via more compression to fit on the disc and the fact that GameCube only supported up to Dolby Pro Logic II. Xbox games were capable of true Dolby 5.1 Surround.

Yeah, I've got the extra port for my Xbox to do 5.1. Problem is that I can't use the component cables at the same time for that cleaner image.

Managed to get my spare Spitball Sparky Game & Watch handheld today. I never managed to figure out the screen problem with my other Spitball SParky G&W so I shelled out for a cheap(ish) loose handheld that is a bit scratched up, but has a great screen. So I've combined the two together and I now have a awesome mint condition handheld that fully works :)

I've now got 36/60 handhelds complete, just another 24 left to collect. And those are the most expensive of the bunch! Love these handhelds so much though!

Top Bottom