• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROARCH - The all-in-one emulator dreams are made of, son

Palom

What's the difference between .cg and .cgp shaders? I can't load any .cg shaders, but .cgp shaders are fine.

The .cg files are the shaders themselves. The .cgp files are presets.

If you wanted to manually set up shaders, you'd go down and set your shader passes to 1, 2, 3, etc., then for shader #0, for example, you would point it to a .cg file.

The .cgp files are what the "load shader preset" option uses.

Arkanius

Guys for Windows, what is the best GBA core?
I'm trying to play Metroid Zero Mission but sometimes I have huge slowdowns in certain areas, and audio isn't the best

I have an i5-3570k and I'm using VBA Next

Rich!

Guys for Windows, what is the best GBA core?
I'm trying to play Metroid Zero Mission but sometimes I have huge slowdowns in certain areas, and audio isn't the best

I have an i5-3570k and I'm using VBA Next

Vba-m.

Turn off rewind if its on. GBA runs 100% smooth for me.

Arkanius

Vba-m.

Turn off rewind if its on. GBA runs 100% smooth for me.

So far so good, but I haven't encountered the rooms where I had slowdowns prior to this.
I also activated Hard GPU vsync and changed the rendered to d3d instead of gl (Because I could been having some AMD problems due OpenGL drivers shenanigans)

Thanks!

Rich!

So far so good, but I haven't encountered the rooms where I had slowdowns prior to this.
I also activated Hard GPU vsync and changed the rendered to d3d instead of gl (Because I could been having some AMD problems due OpenGL drivers shenanigans)

Thanks!

Yeah, I have amd graphics too and opengl is the way to go.

Card Boy

Banned
RETROPIE

How do i make Gameboy and Gameboy Colour games go 4:3 and not cutoff part of the image on my LCD TV (overscan?)?

SNES, GBA, NES games look fine.

I fixed this. I used this video to help me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYB6r7q9JkU

I basically had to edit the emulation station files (Starts around 6 minutes). I think i might make a Retropie only OT sometime because all talk gets buried in this thread. i changed runcommand.sh 1 to runcommand.sh 4 under the Gameboy and Gameboy Colour sections.

Retropie 2.4beta adds proper ScummVM support and Atari Linux support.

Awakened

You meant D3D right?
AMD OpenGL implementation is sketchy at best
Hard sync only works with OGL, as explained in the input latency section here. I found lag to be worst with D3D, better with OGL and best with OGL and hard sync on with my GTX 570. But it can vary between cards/drivers/displays so it might be different with your AMD card.

Arkanius

Hard sync only works with OGL, as explained in the input latency section here. I found lag to be worst with D3D, better with OGL and best with OGL and hard sync on with my GTX 570. But it can vary between cards/drivers/displays so it might be different with your AMD card.

Thanks!

By the way, PC as well:

Where can I find the best accuracy/graphics settings for N64 games?
I remember that there were always problems with texture filtering, but long time ago I remember there was an emulator that had fantastic graphical plugins that solved those issues.

I'm trying to replay Majora's Mask fullspeed + a CRT shader.

Radius4

Thanks!

I remember there was an emulator that had fantastic graphical plugins that solved those issues.

No such thing for N64...

For me the best is the GTU shader with Glide64. You could try the Angrylion plugin for best accuracy but it won't be full speed

Radius4

That's still vaporware in my book.
Angrylion looks pretty darn perfect but it's just too slow, from what I understand it's basically what CEN will bring to the table (with a better CPU emulator)

Can't get CRT Royale to work, when I try selecting it this is what I get:

RetroArch [ERROR] :: 8-bit and 16-bit image support are not implemented.
RetroArch [ERROR] Failed to load picture :: ...
RetroArch [ERROR] Failed to load :: lookup textures ...
RetroArch [WARN] :: [GL]: Failed to September multipass shader. Falling back to stock.

RetroArch [ERROR] :: Setting Rgui CGP failed.

Got the latest retroarch and cores archives from the nightly.

Other shaders work fine.

Awakened

That's still vaporware in my book.
Angrylion looks pretty darn perfect but it's just too slow, from what I understand it's basically what CEN will bring to the table (with a better CPU emulator)
I finally figured out how to get that plugin to work. You need a recent enough nightly and to set these core options: GFX Plugin: angrylion, RSP Plugin: cxd4 and Resolution: 640x480. For some reason it only scales right at 640x480, but still looks like it's rendering at 320x240. That makes my CRT filter look bad with it (there's already an issue report about that on git).

Glide64 (Mario's eyes clip through his eyelids when they're shut):
glide648ws3u.png

angrylion:

But yeah, it's unplayably slow for me, as expected from what I'd read about it.

Can't get CRT Royale to work, when I try selecting it this is what I get:

RetroArch [ERROR] :: 8-bit and 16-bit image support are not implemented.
RetroArch [ERROR] Failed to load picture :: ...
RetroArch [ERROR] Failed to load :: lookup textures ...
RetroArch [WARN] :: [GL]: Failed to September multipass shader. Falling back to stock.

RetroArch [ERROR] :: Setting Rgui CGP failed.

Got the latest retroarch and cores archives from the nightly.

Other shaders work fine.
That error log doesn't really help me with what might be going wrong, but there are multiple settings preset files that come with Royale tuned for Intel, Nvidia and AMD graphics. The shader's readme is pretty good at explaining how to change it's settings and should help with troubleshooting.

That error log doesn't really help me with what might be going wrong, but there are multiple settings preset files that come with Royale tuned for Intel, Nvidia and AMD graphics. The shader's readme is pretty good at explaining how to change it's settings and should help with troubleshooting.

I'm on windows 7, nvidia gtx 670, 3570k cpu, 1440p monitor. I have tried all of the different user-settings.h preset files.
"First recheck the top of your user-settings.h to make sure incompatible driver
options are commented out (disabled)."
Not sure if correct but I put a // in front of the "driver capabilities" lines like //#define DRIVERS_ALLOW_DERIVATIVES

None of the 4 cgp shaders will load. I'm trying to use it with the snes emulators.

Awakened

I'm on windows 7, nvidia gtx 670, 3570k cpu, 1440p monitor. I have tried all of the different user-settings.h preset files.
"First recheck the top of your user-settings.h to make sure incompatible driver
options are commented out (disabled)."
Not sure if correct but I put a // in front of the "driver capabilities" lines like //#define DRIVERS_ALLOW_DERIVATIVES

None of the 4 cgp shaders will load. I'm trying to use it with the snes emulators.
With those specs you shouldn't have a problem using the defaults or any of the Nvidia presets. I use the settings from the "user-settings-royale-with-cheese-nvidia.h" file with mask type 2 and mask sample mode 1 on my GTX 570. "#define DRIVERS_ALLOW_DERIVATIVES" isn't commented out, but I don't think that is causing your problem.

Are you using a full shader folder from a nightly build or the common-shaders git? Royale uses bits and pieces of other shaders, so you can't just copy the cgps and the crt-royale folder into your shaders folder and have it work. That's the only other thing I can think of that people (including me!) had an issue with. I guess the usual "update your graphics driver!" advice could apply here too.

With those specs you shouldn't have a problem using the defaults or any of the Nvidia presets. I use the settings from the "user-settings-royale-with-cheese-nvidia.h" file with mask type 2 and mask sample mode 1 on my GTX 570. "#define DRIVERS_ALLOW_DERIVATIVES" isn't commented out, but I don't think that is causing your problem.

Are you using a full shader folder from a nightly build or the common-shaders git? Royale uses bits and pieces of other shaders, so you can't just copy the cgps and the crt-royale folder into your shaders folder and have it work. That's the only other thing I can think of that people (including me!) had an issue with. I guess the usual "update your graphics driver!" advice could apply here too.

I tried the royale with cheese

This is what I did:
1. download 1.0.0.2
2. go to the buildbot nightly and get the latest retroarch and cores archives from the bottom of that page
3. copy and overwrite the contents of the archives into the retroarch folder

I'm still using the executable of the latest official 1.0.0.2 release.

This is what richiawesome told me to do.

"so you can't just copy the cgps and the crt-royale folder into your shaders folder"

What should be done instead, how did you get it to work? I also copied the contents of the redist.7z file at the bottom of the page over.

Awakened

I'm still using the executable of the latest official 1.0.0.2 release.
You should use a nightly exe since Royale doesn't fully work with 1.0.0.2. It uses newer shader features added to RetroArch since that release.
"so you can't just copy the cgps and the crt-royale folder into your shaders folder"

What should be done instead, how did you get it to work? I also copied the contents of the redist.7z file at the bottom of the page over.
Delete everything in your shaders folder and replace it with the contents of this zip. That link will always have the latest shaders in it.

Conan-san

WIndows 8.1

I've set up Emulation Station and I want to pin games I play often to the start screen as a tile.

B1kReS9l.png

So I have the art ready and what I think is the right arguments set but it just closes as soon as I open it.

Any Help?
Code:
-L C:\Users\<name>\.emulationstation\retroarch\cores\genesis_plus_gx_libretro.dll D:\Roms\Megadrive\~Hacks\Sonic The Hedgehog 3 Complete.gen --config C:\Users\<name>\.emulationstation\retroarch\configs\MD.cfg

Awakened

Any Help?
Code:
-L C:\Users\<name>\.emulationstation\retroarch\cores\genesis_plus_gx_libretro.dll D:\Roms\Megadrive\~Hacks\Sonic The Hedgehog 3 Complete.gen --config C:\Users\<name>\.emulationstation\retroarch\configs\MD.cfg
The ROM path needs quotes around it since the filename has spaces. "D:\Roms\Megadrive\~Hacks\Sonic The Hedgehog 3 Complete.gen" should work. If your username has spaces those paths need quotes too.

BTW:

winmenubar95ijs1b.png

The princess of planet E-Square seems a bit distraught about it, but it's just the beginnings of a Windows menu bar. It should be especially nice for new users when it's done. It can be turned off if you don't use it as well.

(Game is Xexex for those wondering. The Japanese version is much more fun to play with it's autofire and different types of weapons.)

Conan-san

The ROM path needs quotes around it since the filename has spaces. "D:\Roms\Megadrive\~Hacks\Sonic The Hedgehog 3 Complete.gen" should work. If your username has spaces those paths need quotes too.
Magic, that got it.

Now for my next trick I need to figgure out how to blow up Super Game Boy frames to scale so I can do those...

Radius4

By the way, is it mostly safe to update to Nightlies? Or is the codebase very unstable in that channel?

Download the new one, download redist, download the cores unpack everything somewhere.
Then backup your current version (exe and dlls are enough) then you can delete everything, shaders, overlays, exe dlls and cores and replace by the new ones.

I've used nightlies since august (I used to build my own before I put together the buildbot), and while there have been regressions here and there, most have been spotted and fixed.

It's quite stable lately, the last months have been dedicated to iOS and Android so if you're on PC you won't see many changes from 1.0.0.3 beta. (but there are some important ones)

Lettuce

Downloaded yesterdays Android nightly (17/1/2105) and the Higan Snes Performance core runs like shit on my JXD S7800B device :(

Radius4

Downloaded yesterdays Android nightly (17/1/2105) and the Higan Snes Performance core runs like shit on my JXD S7800B device :(

That's to be expected... That's not exactly a high performance device and one of the most demanding cores out there.

Shield 1/2 can run that core fine except for special chip games.

Anyways... Sense (we don't have higan) is not really needed unless you live for air strike patrol.

ivanmark

can someone tell me how to setup emularionstation to play specific cfg file from retroarch?
For example if I startup snes game from emulationstation retroarch start in vanila mode not in snes9x_libretro.cfg that i setup.

this is my es_systems setup

<system>
<name>snes</name>
<fullname>Super Nintendo Entertainment System</fullname>
<path>~\.emulationstation\roms\snes</path>
<extension>.smc .sfc .SMC .SFC</extension>
<command>C:\Users\ivann\.emulationstation\systems\retroarch.exe -L C:\Users\ivann\.emulationstation\systems\libretro\snes9x_libretro.dll "%ROM_RAW%"</command>
<platform>snes</platform>
<theme>snes</theme>

Lordbarker

Neo Member
Hi there,

I'm using the latest official build on Win 7 64bit. I use my Wiimote on the Dolphin emulator regularly without issue, however I can't get Retroarch to detect it, as I would like to use my classic controller for SNES cores and use the wiimote for Time Crisis etc. on MAME. Just wondered if there was a guide to set this up? I had a look in the input driver choices and only have 'SDL' or 'Direct', and wondered if this was the issue?
Thanks

Conan-san

can someone tell me how to setup emularionstation to play specific cfg file from retroarch?
For example if I startup snes game from emulationstation retroarch start in vanila mode not in snes9x_libretro.cfg that i setup.

this is my es_systems setup

<system>
<name>snes</name>
<path>~\.emulationstation\roms\snes</path>
<extension>.smc .sfc .SMC .SFC</extension>
<command>C:\Users\ivann\.emulationstation\systems\retroarch.exe -L C:\Users\ivann\.emulationstation\systems\libretro\snes9x_libretro.dll "%ROM_RAW%"</command>
<theme>snes</theme>
add " -- config [path to config file]" to the end of your command.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Can anyone share their completed Emulation Station (es_systems) config file I can use as a starting point? Would be wildly appreciated. Thanks!

Sure. It's nothing out of the ordinary, but if it helps you, great.

Code:
<systemList>
	<system>
		<name>psp</name>
		<fullname>Sony PlayStation Portable</fullname>
		<path>G:\EmulationStation\games\psp</path>
		<extension>.iso</extension>
		<command>G:\EmulationStation\systems\ppsspp\PPSSPPWindows64.exe "%ROM_RAW%"</command>
		<platform>psp</platform>
		<theme>psp</theme>
	</system>
		<system>
		<name>psx</name>
		<fullname>Sony PlayStation</fullname>
		<path>G:\EmulationStation\games\psx</path>
		<extension>.iso .ccd .cue</extension>
		<command>G:\EmulationStation\systems\RetroArch\retroarch.exe -L G:\EmulationStation\systems\RetroArch\cores\mednafen_psx_libretro.dll "%ROM_RAW%"</command>
		<platform>psx</platform>
		<theme>psx</theme>
	</system>
	<system>
		<name>ps2</name>
		<fullname>PlayStation 2</fullname>
		<path>G:\EmulationStation\games\ps2</path>
		<command>G:\EmulationStation\systems\PCSX2\PCSX2.exe "%ROM_RAW%"</command>
		<platform>ps2</platform>
		<theme>ps2</theme>
	</system>
	<system>
		<name>nes</name>
		<fullname>Nintendo Entertainment System</fullname>
		<path>G:\EmulationStation\games\nes</path>
		<extension>.nes .NES</extension>
		<command>G:\EmulationStation\systems\RetroArch\retroarch.exe -L G:\EmulationStation\systems\RetroArch\cores\bnes_libretro.dll "%ROM_RAW%"</command>
		<platform>nes</platform>
		<theme>nes</theme>
	</system>
	<system>
		<name>snes</name>
		<path>G:\EmulationStation\games\snes</path>
		<extension>.snes .sfc .smc</extension>
		<command>G:\EmulationStation\systems\RetroArch\retroarch.exe -L G:\EmulationStation\systems\RetroArch\cores\bsnes_balanced_libretro.dll "%ROM_RAW%"</command>
		<theme>snes</theme>
	</system>
	<system>
		<name>n64</name>
		<fullname>Nintendo 64</fullname>
		<path>G:\EmulationStation\games\n64</path>
		<extension>.n64</extension>
		<command>G:\EmulationStation\systems\RetroArch\retroarch.exe -L G:\EmulationStation\systems\RetroArch\cores\mupen64plus_libretro.dll "%ROM_RAW%"</command>
		<platform>n64</platform>
		<theme>n64</theme>
	</system>
	<system>
		<name>wii</name>
		<fullname>Wii</fullname>
		<path>G:\EmulationStation\games\wii</path>
		<command>G:\EmulationStation\systems\Dolphin\Dolphin.exe "%ROM_RAW%"</command>
		<platform>wii</platform>
		<theme>wii</theme>
	</system>
	<system>
		<name>megadrive</name>
		<fullname>Sega Megadrive</fullname>
		<path>G:\EmulationStation\games\smd</path>
		<extension>.md</extension>
		<command>G:\EmulationStation\systems\RetroArch\retroarch.exe -L G:\EmulationStation\systems\RetroArch\cores\picodrive_libretro.dll "%ROM_RAW%"</command>
		<platform>megadrive</platform>
		<theme>megadrive</theme>
	</system>
	<system>
		<name>MAME</name>
		<fullname>MAME</fullname>
		<path>G:\EmulationStation\games\mame</path>
		<extension>.zip</extension>
		<command>G:\EmulationStation\systems\RetroArch\retroarch.exe -L G:\EmulationStation\systems\RetroArch\cores\mame_libretro.dll "%ROM_RAW%"</command>
		<platform>arcade</platform>
		<theme>mame</theme>
	</system>
</systemList>

Glass Joe

Am I taking crazy pills or does the v-sync option of RetroArch just not even work? I've been toiling using Super Mario Bros as a test with all the different NES cores offered and I just cannot get it to scroll smoothly and cleanly. I have a new computer, but I then fired up a couple of old NES standalone emulators like FCEex and Nestopia with much better results. I see a lot of options in the video sections of each emulator in RetroArch and I've toyed with them all and nothing works, like, at all. I've also tried running it as gl (default), d3d, and some other one, but no go.

Does anyone actually have some good settings or at least an explanation of what I might have wrong?

Glass Joe

Are you playing it full screen?

My Win8.1 HTPC just can't do RA right windowed.

Yeah, I've tried both. Nestopia (stand alone) and SNES9x (standalone) have options for V-sync that add slight lag but successfully get rid of the choppy scrolling. I'm just confused because my new computer can handle retroarch fine but the v-sync settings don't seem to work. I've even opened the cfg file to manually set stuff to true/false. Refreshed monitor rate. Etc etc. Googling the issue gives results about how impossible it is to properly program v-sync but I think I'm doing something wrong because like I said, the standalones do an adequate job. So at least I have something if I can't get it working satisfactorily.

EasyMode

Yeah, I've tried both. Nestopia (stand alone) and SNES9x (standalone) have options for V-sync that add slight lag but successfully get rid of the choppy scrolling. I'm just confused because my new computer can handle retroarch fine but the v-sync settings don't seem to work. I've even opened the cfg file to manually set stuff to true/false. Refreshed monitor rate. Etc etc. Googling the issue gives results about how impossible it is to properly program v-sync but I think I'm doing something wrong because like I said, the standalones do an adequate job. So at least I have something if I can't get it working satisfactorily.

Which OS, RetroArch version and video card are you using?

V-Sync works for me, I wouldn't play without it.

Lettuce

Refreshed monitor rate. Etc etc. Googling the issue gives results about how impossible it is to properly program v-sync but I think I'm doing something wrong because like I said, the standalones do an adequate job. So at least I have something if I can't get it working satisfactorily.

When you say refreshed monitor rate, do you mean the 'Estimated Monitor FPS' setting in the video settings?, where you leave this selected for 2 minutes and it pin points your monitor refresh rate??

Regarding this 'Estimated Monitor FPS' setting if you use this surely you wouldnt need v sync enabled then??

Might be an idea to use the 240p Test Suite program as well and the scrolling test.....

http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/240p_test_suite

can be used on the Megadrive, SNES, PC Engine etc

Palom

I had some slight judder/frame timing issues that I fixed by changing the refresh rate (Settings -> Video -> Refresh Rate) from the default of 59.95 to 59.999. It seems you have to exit the program and reopen it after changing the setting to notice the effect. Hopefully that helps.

NTSC defaut is 59.94, so if 59.999 doesn't work, maybe try that, or an even 60.

Glass Joe

Which OS, RetroArch version and video card are you using?

V-Sync works for me, I wouldn't play without it.

Windows 8.1, Retroarch 64-bit (whichever the newest one is) and a Radeon R240 crossfired with an AMD A10-7800 (came with the computer). Also tried disabling crossfire ("dual graphics") on the card itself.

Good to hear V-sync is working for you. Another thing I find suspicious (on top of v-sync not working) is there's no lag difference between on and off.

When you say refreshed monitor rate, do you mean the 'Estimated Monitor FPS' setting in the video settings?, where you leave this selected for 2 minutes and it pin points your monitor refresh rate??

Regarding this 'Estimated Monitor FPS' setting if you use this surely you wouldnt need v sync enabled then??

Might be an idea to use the 240p Test Suite program as well and the scrolling test.....

http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/240p_test_suite

can be used on the Megadrive, SNES, PC Engine etc

Hmm yeah that's what I'm referring to with the estimated monitor FPS. Maybe I should let it stay selected longer, if you suggest 2 minutes. I remember that it would continually climb for about 15 seconds and then level off but maybe I didn't give it enough time to find the proper value yet? The Test Suite program I'll look into, thanks for the advice. But so far everything has led to a lot of tearing, as did v-sync on or off.

I had some slight judder/frame timing issues that I fixed by changing the refresh rate (Settings -> Video -> Refresh Rate) from the default of 59.95 to 59.999. It seems you have to exit the program and reopen it after changing the setting to notice the effect. Hopefully that helps.

NTSC defaut is 59.94, so if 59.999 doesn't work, maybe try that, or an even 60.

I'd tried 59.95 and 60.00. I'll try more in-betweens and remember to exit the program. I suppose if nothing else, the old standalones are working. It would just be a lot more convenient if I got the retroarch package to work (especially since it wasn't the easiest thing in the world to set up).

Thanks for the advice, all!

Awakened

For anyone not following the nightlies, the Desmume core added basic mic support. So now pressing L3 (default) acts as if you are blowing in the mic, which is useful for a decent amount of games. They also just added screen gap support. The buildbot hasn't updated the core with that feature yet, but a dev kindly provided a .dll here. It's a useful feature if you use overlays. I don't really use them, but I had some time so I made one you can grab here. It's made for 1080 res with integer scale on, screen gap set to 90, and looks best with overlay opacity set to 100:
I included a .psd with all the layers if you want to edit it.

Lettuce

For anyone not following the nightlies, the Desmume core added basic mic support. So now pressing L3 (default) acts as if you are blowing in the mic, which is useful for a decent amount of games. They also just added screen gap support. The buildbot hasn't updated the core with that feature yet, but a dev kindly provided a .dll here. It's a useful feature if you use overlays. I don't really use them, but I had some time so I made one you can grab here. It's made for 1080 res with integer scale on, screen gap set to 90, and looks best with overlay opacity set to 100:

I included a .psd with all the layers if you want to edit it.

Nice, i might had to make a mockup in the style of the 2DS, so basically remove the hinge of the NDS to the screens can be larger and closer together

Top Bottom