• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROARCH - The all-in-one emulator dreams are made of, son

Awakened

Here's the problem though, it messes with the art direction and makes everything look rounded, including assets that aren't supposed to be rounded and smooth. Look at the bricks on the platform in the Mario picture, for instance. These shouldn't be smoothed out like that. I don't think the designer would want them to look so rounded.

So, i'd say it still loses detail.
Sure, I don't think it's possible to not lose detail and/or not fudge the original art a bit with a smoothing shader. But I think it's better about it than SuperEagle, HQx or other XBR shaders. I still use crt-easymode-halation as my default shader for most cores, but I think the new XBR is a neat alternate.

Aku-Audi

For anyone looking for alternatives to emulationstation or other frontends, mehstation is shaping up pretty well. Easier to configure and can even import settings from already existing emulationstation setups. Works perfectly with Retroarch much like emulationstation did.

mehstation is a multi-launcher frontend fully driven by a gamepad/keyboard.

Features

• Clean and beautiful interface
  • Two kind of view, configurable per platform:
  • Games view displaying screenshots, playing videos and showing description of executables
  • App mode focused on starting traditional apps (VLC, Firefox, Steam, etc.). Also more suitable for Raspberry Pi.
  • Multi-platform: Linux, Windows, (not tested on Mac yet).
  • Easy configuration with the dedicated app : mehstation-config
  • Automatic scraping of games resources
  • Import configuration from EmulationStation
  • Favorite your executables, launch random executables, etc.
  • Automatic detection and visual mapping of gamepads.

hzSaCiY.jpg

xws3BNE.jpg

o1l3uAM.png

Video Showcase

Website
Github

Radius4

No clue that shader is by a guy called TroggleMonkey and it's so complex I don't even want to open the files to take a look

lazygecko

Does anyone have a sensible 360 pad input configuration for Neo Geo? The default setup for the ABXY buttons relative to the system's ABCD ones just doesn't make sense to me. And what's even more annoying is how pressing the button on the left analog enters the config which effectively resets the game, and I'm prone to accidentally pressing that.

Trying to rebind this stuff myself seems all too abstract for me to make any sense of what I'm doing.

Rufus

Does anyone have a sensible 360 pad input configuration for Neo Geo? The default setup for the ABXY buttons relative to the system's ABCD ones just doesn't make sense to me. And what's even more annoying is how pressing the button on the left analog enters the config which effectively resets the game, and I'm prone to accidentally pressing that.

Trying to rebind this stuff myself seems all too abstract for me to make any sense of what I'm doing.
CTRL+F NeoGeo on this page for a helpful image:
https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/RetroArch-Configuration

It shows what RetroPad button corresponds to the buttons on all sorts of controllers.

lazygecko

This doesn't really seem to help me all that much when I'm staring at the input lines in the core config. I don't dare touch the rebinding in the menu either after royally screwing up last time.

Radius4

If you're using FBA we have tree layouts, arcade, console and "newgen"
Arcade is suitable for Arcade Joysticks, Console is XY for punches AB for kicks, and newgen is the map used in newer consoles XA for punches YB for kicks. You can switch in core input options.

Odrion

Banned
Finally just started using this to play some Super Mario World. Put on (I think) NTSC SVideo Gauss Scanline which seems perfectly fitting. And although I've been going back and forth between Integer On and Off it seems like when it's off the scanline issue isn't really there.

But I like Integer scale, I just wish I had some overlays for it (the ones that come with Retroarch doesn't seem to be made for 4:3... Also kinda meh-y.)

lazygecko

If you're using FBA we have tree layouts, arcade, console and "newgen"
Arcade is suitable for Arcade Joysticks, Console is XY for punches AB for kicks, and newgen is the map used in newer consoles XA for punches YB for kicks. You can switch in core input options.

I don't see any kind of options for this stuff in the input menu with the FBA core loaded.

Giever

I'm using my Dualshock 4 with DS4Windows w/ RetroArch and I'm trying to make use of all of the additional input options for various menu toggles (fast forward, save/load states, reset, etc.) Things like pressing on the right side of the touchpad vs. the left side, multi-touch, or even swiping and so on. The thing is, no matter what I try RetroArch doesn't acknowledge those inputs. I've tried turning off the "Hide DS4" option in the DS4Windows settings, and that didn't work (and changed some of my inputs a bit). I've tried setting the different inputs to keyboard characters in DS4Windows (so, setting right touchpad to 'h' so that it would reset the game) and that doesn't work either.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

gelf

Does retroarch have any way of creating input macros? Say if I want to set a shoulder button of my Saturn pad to perform the same function as pressing A+B+C.

Radius4

No, I have been thinking about this myself and could be implemented in the same way as core input remapping but it would still be fairly complicated

nkarafo

I'm testing Mupen and it's plugins, however it seems like the glide plugin is very outdated. Looks like it's using an older version than the 2012 "Final" version, let alone the newer GlideN64. Or at least i think that's the case because i make comparisons with the standalone plugin (Glide64 Final May 2012) and there are many more errors and glitches in the Core version that don't exist in the standalone plugin.

Do we know which version of the plugin is used in the core?

Iced

I'd love to hear feedback about the new release. I tried out 1.30 stable a couple weeks ago and its performance left a lot to be desired. Ultimately just went back to 1.2.2.

Awakened

I'd love to hear feedback about the new release. I tried out 1.30 stable a couple weeks ago and its performance left a lot to be desired. Ultimately just went back to 1.2.2.
I haven't noticed anything wrong with it like the shader issue 1.3.0 had.

nkarafo

When i try to open any zip or 7z archive, with whatever core, it says that there are no items inside.

I will just stick with an older version for now.

Awakened

When i try to open any zip or 7z archive, with whatever core, it says that there are no items inside.

I will just stick with an older version for now.
That might be because the info file directory isn't set in the retroarch.cfg that comes with the 1.3.2 release. If you go into your directory settings and set that to <RetroArch Folder>\info, you should see stuff in your archives again. The .info files tell RA what file extensions each core supports.

Radius4

yeah... my bad
will push an update later this week

also I plan changing how the default bundle works.
I have some ideas for the windows platform driver (responsible for default settings and paths).

My idea is to ship in portable mode, and in such mode make it look in retroarchdir\userdata instead of just retroarchdir\retroarch.cfg

And try to make it work in non-portable mode too (use documents and settings)

All of that without affecting current users, the platform drivers mostly affect the default config.
Not sure if I'll manage for this week though

me0wish

Hey guys, need some help here.

When ever I try to run a game, I keep getting "No cores available" message.

I'm using the latest stable build (V 1.3.2 on windows 10), and I have the cores downloaded and loaded, the only way that I could get it to work is through Launch Box.

Edit: Based on the videos I've watched, browsing the available cores will show both the emulator name and what system does it run, for me it only shows the emulator's name, is there anyway to fix this?

Mepsi

I've just been given my neighbors old Fire TV and decided that it would be a great little emulation box, I've sideloaded RetroArch onto it but I am having some problems with input.

I am using a Xbox 360 Official Wireless Reciever with an Official XBOX 360 pad, if I start a game the input doesn't immediately work; It pops up XBOX 360 controller configured in Port #0. I have to press a button on my fire TV remote to which RetroArch responds something along the lines of "Fire TV Remote configured", then when I press a button on the 360 controller it says XBOX 360 controller configured in Port #1. At this point input finally works, but only for some games.

I have tested this with Super Metroid and Super Mario Brothers All Stars running on SNES9X, Super Metroid I can play but Mario never picks up my input, I am completely at a loss as to what is happening and would greatly appreciate some help. Thanks.

nkarafo

That might be because the info file directory isn't set in the retroarch.cfg that comes with the 1.3.2 release. If you go into your directory settings and set that to <RetroArch Folder>\info, you should see stuff in your archives again. The .info files tell RA what file extensions each core supports.
The directory was correct. Updated the core info files. Still doesn't work :(

nkarafo

Well, it turns out the problem was that my configs didn't even load the cores.

Edit:
Saving a new config with a loaded core doesn't save it anymore. I still have to manually load the core after i load the config.

Awakened

I didn't understand much, I don't see that I do have any problem with zip files? I guess I'll have to wait for the next update.

Thanks for the hard work :D
Maybe copying the .info files into your cores directory will work? I actually don't have an info directory set in my config and RA finds them there by default.

Radius4

Yes, we no longer save the core, this was introduced by mistake and while convenient it was causing some issues on some platforms.

There is always the -L switch if you use a launcher.

nkarafo

Yes, we no longer save the core, this was introduced by mistake and while convenient it was causing some issues on some platforms.

There is always the -L switch if you use a launcher.
Is there a chance to add this again as an option?

This pretty much messes everything i build up to this point... I will assume i'm not the only one otherwise nevermind. I can still stick to an older version and only update the cores from now on.

Radius4

This was causing lots of problems with incorrect configurations propagating in core options.
If you're using a launcher a configuration for each core you're most likely halfway there already

You probably have something like this: retroarch -c path\to\config.cfg, then you'd have to add -L path\to\core.dll and that's it.

Edit: I assume you've setup the path to the core in the config manually? I think for people like you using launchers that is probably the case.
If so, I guess I could only remove saving of the path but still honour it if it's defined in the config

Iced

Anyone having luck with g-sync monitors? I bought one yesterday and I can't get games to run smoothly. They looked perfect on my old 60Hz monitor.

EasyMode

Anyone having luck with g-sync monitors? I bought one yesterday and I can't get games to run smoothly. They looked perfect on my old 60Hz monitor.

I have the Asus ROG PG279Q and it's working great with RetroArch.

In Nvidia Control Panel:
- In "Display > Change Resolution" make sure your monitor's max refresh rate is selected
- In "Display > Set up G-SYNC" make sure it's enabled

In RetroArch:

- In "Settings > Video Settings" set VSync off

Things should run smooth with these settings.

Iced

I have the Asus ROG PG279Q and it's working great with RetroArch.

In Nvidia Control Panel:
- In "Display > Change Resolution" make sure your monitor's max refresh rate is selected
- In "Display > Set up G-SYNC" make sure it's enabled

In RetroArch:

- In "Settings > Video Settings" set VSync off

Things should run smooth with these settings.

I had tried that already from reading other forum posts, and it's still pretty choppy. Would you be willing to PM me the contents of your cfg file so I could look it over? I have a feeling the problem resides in my Retroarch settings, not my Nvidia CP.

EasyMode

I had tried that already from reading other forum posts, and it's still pretty choppy. Would you be willing to PM me the contents of your cfg file so I could look it over? I have a feeling the problem resides in my Retroarch settings, not my Nvidia CP.

PM Sent. You could also try deleting your retroarch.cfg and starting fresh.

Iced

PM Sent. You could also try deleting your retroarch.cfg and starting fresh.

Thanks! Looking this over quickly, I suspect my issue is with:

video_refresh_rate = "60.003399"

I have mine set to match my monitor's max refresh rate of 144. I wasn't exactly sure what to do coming from a 60Hz monitor, so I just let the estimated refresh rate samples build up and set the new value. This has to be the source of the problem.

EasyMode

Thanks! Looking this over quickly, I suspect my issue is with:

video_refresh_rate = "60.003399"

I have mine set to match my monitor's max refresh rate of 144. I wasn't exactly sure what to do coming from a 60Hz monitor, so I just let the estimated refresh rate samples build up and set the new value. This has to be the source of the problem.

That refresh rate is probably a holdover from my previous monitor, but if it ain't broke I won't fix it.

Looking at the default config, it seems the default refresh rate is 59.95. So that might be worth a try too.

Hyllian

For those who use the 3D cores with High Internal Res, I just fixed the aa-shader-4.o shader and now it works with any internal res. It's great with cores that allow high internal res: mupen64, ppsspp, reicast and mednafen. To use it, just load the preset provided.

Iced

That refresh rate is probably a holdover from my previous monitor, but if it ain't broke I won't fix it.

Looking at the default config, it seems the default refresh rate is 59.95. So that might be worth a try too.

Tried out 59.95 last night and it was mostly smooth, but still with the odd hitch every couple of seconds. Still not perfect like with my 60Hz monitor.

I'm thinking tonight I'll try switching my monitor over to 120Hz and setting the refresh rate in Retroarch to 120, turn vsync in Retroarch back on, and see how it goes. It'd be annoying to do that every time I play though, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't work.

Hyllian

I have updated crt-hyllian shader with a param that allow to toggle between horizontal and vertical scanlines. It's useful for some shmup games.

Top Bottom