• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROARCH - The all-in-one emulator dreams are made of, son

Knurek

I have updated crt-hyllian shader with a param that allow to toggle between horizontal and vertical scanlines. It's useful for some shmup games.

Isn't that completely unrealistic though? Weren't the 3:4 monitors in arcade cabinets just turned 90 degrees?
(Not that I have any problems with you adding the feature. Just being curious).

Hyllian

Isn't that completely unrealistic though? Weren't the 3:4 monitors in arcade cabinets just turned 90 degrees?

From time to time some people appear requesting that, then I finally implemented.

Awakened

The MAME cores don't rotate shaders for vertical games, so the scanlines have to be rotated in the shader to match.

Iced

Tried out 59.95 last night and it was mostly smooth, but still with the odd hitch every couple of seconds. Still not perfect like with my 60Hz monitor.

I'm thinking tonight I'll try switching my monitor over to 120Hz and setting the refresh rate in Retroarch to 120, turn vsync in Retroarch back on, and see how it goes. It'd be annoying to do that every time I play though, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't work.

For anyone curious, I was on 1.2.2 when I was having issues, but g-sync is running great in 1.3.2 with the default refresh rate of 59.95 and v-sync off.

Iced

Anyone know why I would be seeing flickering with the easymode shader? I've so far only noticed it in a couple TG16 games - specifically Bonk's Adventure and Bonk's Revenge, and only on solid green backgrounds. Very odd. Disabling shaders gets rid of the flickering.

EasyMode

Anyone know why I would be seeing flickering with the easymode shader? I've so far only noticed it in a couple TG16 games - specifically Bonk's Adventure and Bonk's Revenge, and only on solid green backgrounds. Very odd. Disabling shaders gets rid of the flickering.

That almost sounds like interlacing, but that can't be the case for those games. Does it ever show up in green areas on other cores/systems?

Anybody else having trouble getting 320x240 as a resolution option in the Wii version of Retroarch? I can get pretty much everything but that.

It's been a long time since I used the Wii version of Retroarch, but I remember having luck with 640x224. The horizontal scaling may not sound right, but it shouldn't be noticeable on an actual CRT.

Dizzy-4U

Speaking of low resolutions: I have emudriver 2.0 installed on an old notebook to run GroovyMAME on a CRT.

Any guide on how to set up retroarch to display at low resolutions with that driver (if it's possible of course)?

Rich!

Does angrylion work on mupen64plus? Windows x64, GL. Only get a black screen when I try it.

How about glideN64 support?

For those who use the 3D cores with High Internal Res, I just fixed the aa-shader-4.o shader and now it works with any internal res. It's great with cores that allow high internal res: mupen64, ppsspp, reicast and mednafen. To use it, just load the preset provided.

Looks stunning on Dreamcast games, thank you!

Hyllian

Looks stunning on Dreamcast games, thank you!
Yeap! BTW, there's a param in this shader called "Internal Res" that you need to set to find the best sharpness. It's by default equal to 2 (which suppose you're using 2x internal res). In some systems you need to change to 1 or 4. As the internal resolution is defined internally in each core, there's no way the shader can predict the correct value, and thus the param is up to the user.

Awakened

Does angrylion work on mupen64plus? Windows x64, GL. Only get a black screen when I try it.

How about glideN64 support?
Angrylion is crashing for me in the latest nightly core. GlideN64 doesn't appear as an option yet, but there have been a lot of git commits about adding it.

Iced

Could someone check something for me so that I don't go insane trying to fix it? Donkey Kong Country. 1st level of the game. Does the background flicker ever so slightly?

Rich!

Could someone check something for me so that I don't go insane trying to fix it? Donkey Kong Country. 1st level of the game. Does the background flicker ever so slightly?

Gonna need more info than that. What core? BSNES? Snes9x? Catsfc? Pocketsnes?

Iced

Gonna need more info than that. What core? BSNES? Snes9x? Catsfc? Pocketsnes?

Bsnes mercury balanced. Reason I ask is I've noticed some flickering in TG16 games lately, so I'm extra sensitive to flickering in other games now. Just trying to isolate the problem. It seems like the flickering I'm seeing in DKC is intentional (sun going down), but I just want to make sure.

Stylo

I noticed puNES wasn't in Retroarch. Why's that? Is FCEUX or Nestopia better? Also, between FCEUX and the Nestopia cores, what would you guys recommend? I prefer accurate emulation.

Radius4

well, there are a finite amount of people working on it, and a finite amount of time.
Nestopia is the most accurate core we have.

Knurek

Umm, is it me, or is the crt-easymode-halation shader having interlace flickering while using with Desmume core?

No such problems with crt-easymode or any other shader I've tried...
Any idea why this particular shader would exhibit such a behaviour?

The combined height of both screens is probably tripping interlacing detection. You can turn it off in the shader's parameters (Interlacing Toggle).

Yupp, that fixed the flickering. Thank you.

Awakened

Umm, is it me, or is the crt-easymode-halation shader having interlace flickering while using with Desmume core?

No such problems with crt-easymode or any other shader I've tried...
Any idea why this particular shader would exhibit such a behaviour?
The combined height of both screens is probably tripping interlacing detection. You can turn it off in the shader's parameters (Interlacing Toggle).

Has anyone got CRT-Geom to work on Android? I've tried it on a number of Android devices, including an Nvidia Shield TV, but with no luck.

I really like it on the Windows version of Retroarch, but I find myself using the Android Retroarch far more. But the RGB mesh and screen curvature look great on the Windows version.

Am I doing something wrong, or is it simply incompatible?

Goody

Am I doing something wrong?

I just tried out the latest version. I'm OK with a very basic set up, but cannot for the life of me get system lists set up.

I'm new to RetroArch, and I've been looking all over but I can't find the shader setting. I found the filters in the video setting, but nothing else. I'm on 1.3.2. Is there some setting I have to change to get shaders to show up?

Awakened

I'm new to RetroArch, and I've been looking all over but I can't find the shader setting. I found the filters in the video setting, but nothing else. I'm on 1.3.2. Is there some setting I have to change to get shaders to show up?
They're in the Quick Menu, which is accessed from the main menu.

Lettuce

Is there a snes core that allows overclocking (other than FX chip based games) to reduce or remove slowdown found in games?

silentQ

Just starting to get into retroarch after living with my old school emulators forever now. I am really attracted to the loads of shaders and a question to you guys. What is generally the best crt shader and is there a shader for getting that RGB through the framemeister look without the scanlines? I like the sharp pixel look but I am trying to decide if I want sharp pixels or the more crt look so I want to check against both.

Radius4

Just a heads up.
We've been changing the windows platform driver, so we don't have to ship a default config anymore (soon)

For now it still works always in "portable mode" by default and it creates all the directories it needs in the base folder so people like @awakened with custom setups may get annoyed by new empty dirs littering their setup.

In that case, just add a custom.ini file to your working directory and it should prevent RA from creating anything.

This paves the way for a non-portable mode and maybe an installer in the future, so it's good progress.

Awakened

Just a heads up.
We've been changing the windows platform driver, so we don't have to ship a default config anymore (soon)

For now it still works always in "portable mode" by default and it creates all the directories it needs in the base folder so people like @awakened with custom setups may get annoyed by new empty dirs littering their setup.

In that case, just add a custom.ini file to your working directory and it should prevent RA from creating anything.

This paves the way for a non-portable mode and maybe an installer in the future, so it's good progress.
Thanks for that; it wouldn't be a huge deal to have some empty folders for things I don't use like overlays or audio filters, but it's nice to keep it clean.

I love portable modes in programs; it makes it so much easier to copy them along with their settings between PCs or hard drives. And I don't have to reinstall them and reconfigure everything if I reinstall the OS. But, as long as the installer is just an extra distribution method along with the usual portable .7z releases, it's all good. It might bring some extra users on board.

Heel

Is there a way to have the RetroArch UI default to 16x9 in windowed mode on start-up, without it affecting the aspect ratio of the emulators?

Thanks.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Trying to get into RetroArch (Win10 PC), but right now this is me:

e0sY238.jpg

I'm tempted to get Launchbox, but is it compatible with video filters and overlays? If so, do they work even with the free version of Launchbox?

Knurek

Is there a particular reason having rewind enabled in Desmume core absolutely kills performance?

Without it I'm getting locked 60fps, even with x4 internal res.
With rewind enabled, 40-50 fps at all time, x1 internal resolution.

Radius4

serialization is a heavy task, and I think with software based upscaling it would include the upscaled framebuffer in the serialization process

Iced

Just installed 1.3.4. Couple of things I've noticed:

- CG shaders no longer work for me. Switched over to GLSL and it seems fine.

Edit: This has been fixed in the nightly builds.

- I haven't been able to use fast forward (hold) since I got my g-sync monitor. I have v-sync disabled in Retroarch. Could this be the reason? I miss the feature but I don't want to enable v-sync since it's not otherwise needed.

- I've also been getting flickering in backgrounds randomly since getting the g-sync monitor. This is only when I have shaders applied though (I always use easymode-halation). The problem seems to go away when I turn off integer scale, so it's not a huge deal, but I tend to like that on. This might not even be a Retroarch issue but more something to do with g-sync tech, but I'd love to hear feedback if others have witnessed this. I've mostly noticed it in TG16 games, but I also notice it in Donkey Kong Country in the first level (the sky background - this may be intentional to simulate a sunset though, not sure).

Edit: I tried out regular easymode (sans halation) and the problem went away. So there's something about the halation process in that shaded that my g-sync monitor does not dig.

Palom

- I haven't been able to use fast forward (hold) since I got my g-sync monitor. I have v-sync disabled in Retroarch. Could this be the reason? I miss the feature but I don't want to enable v-sync since it's not otherwise needed.
Try checking in the Frame Throttle settings menu. The maximum run speed for me got set to 1x, and I had to bump it up to something like 10x to get fast forward working again.

Iced

Try checking in the Frame Throttle settings menu. The maximum run speed for me got set to 1x, and I had to bump it up to something like 10x to get fast forward working again.

No dice for me. It was set to 0, so I set it to 10 but it still doesn't work.

bacardi

Is there any way to have parameters set up for the GLSL version of easymode-halalation? I've got it working CG the way I want and wanted to use the GLSL version on the other machine with the same settings. Cheers.

Rich!

quick question

what's the performance like on retroarch gamecube? close to Wii? Or significantly less so? Does it have a 240p display option like the Wii version does in the menu?

Thanks

Iced

I made a thread about this but it received 0 traction. Hoping to get some responses here.

I recently obtained a G-sync monitor and, while I am loving the benefits it provides for modern PC gaming, I am particularly excited about its potential for emulation of classic games.

Last night I fired up MAME for the first time, and was excited to not see any stuttering in any of the games I played. Smooth presentation across the board. Games with lower refresh rates (good examples being Mortal Kombat 1-3, which run at 54.71 Hz) running at normal speed without any hitches is a godsend.

I've been using Retroarch for most of my classic console gaming for the past couple of years. Now that I have a G-sync monitor, I'm wondering if this is still the way to go? How I think Retroarch works is it sets a refresh rate in its config file (default 59.95 Hz) and adjusts each game according to that number, yet I've still noticed hitches in games that I have a feeling are related to the game not running at the correct frequency. A good example of this is Super Mario World, where a consistent frame drop (or maybe dupe frame, not sure) seems to happen every second, even in Retroarch.

Looking for information. Am I correct in how Retroarch runs? Are there better alternatives? Looking to run all games at their native refresh rates to avoid any possible issues and have the most "close to native" performance as possible.

Awakened

The Mednafen PSX core now supports pbp files, so you can compress your PSX collections using PSX2PSP. And it works with multi disc pbps, so all games can be contained in single files.

Awakened

is PBP lossless compression?
what about CSO?, can you run the inverse process and get pristine images back?
AFAIK, PBP is lossless when you convert BINs to it via PSX2PSP. I think I read that some official PBP dumps have lossy compression. BTW, PSX2PSP only supports single BIN dumps (or IMG or ISO), so Redump's multi BINs have to be converted to singles first.

CSO is lossless. MaxCSO is the nicest ultility I've found for conversion to that format.

Both utilities let you convert compressed images back to their raw format.

AFAIK, PBP is lossless when you convert BINs to it via PSX2PSP. I think I read that some official PBP dumps have lossy compression. BTW, PSX2PSP only supports single BIN dumps (or IMG or ISO), so Redump's multi BINs have to be converted to singles first.

CSO is lossless. MaxCSO is the nicest ultility I've found for conversion to that format.

Both utilities let you convert compressed images back to their raw format.

Oh that is great finally I don't have to use .m3u data anymore.
Just converting all my games to PBP.
This is a godsend.

Does anyone know of a walkthrough to get MSX games working? I can't for the life of me figure it out. It just gets stuck on a black screen.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
The Mednafen PSX core now supports pbp files, so you can compress your PSX collections using PSX2PSP. And it works with multi disc pbps, so all games can be contained in single files.

Oooooh nice. I might do this to save space and make selecting PSX games a bit tidier. Right now I have it set up so I have to open the folder, then the cue sheet / m3u. Works for me but could certainly be better.

Top Bottom