• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Return to the cosmic holocaust - Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War

One of those games that sinks its teeth in you every once in a while, forcing you to spend a couple weeks at a time murdering xenos or tearing open the bellies of squishy Imperial Guardsmen. My wife recently clicked with 40K and DoW, which has forced me to replay the game as well. I had beaten the campaigns of the base game and Winter Assault before, but I've never beaten the Risk-style maps of Dark Crusade and Soulstorm, mostly because I play halfway through with one race before getting distracted and starting the campaign over with another race.

Not sure who my favorite faction to use is. Eldar and Necron feel incredibly cheap, and at least the Necron feel pretty cheap when fighting them (even against the AI). Chaos feels a bit underpowered for what they are. Orks and Space Marines are consistently effective for me, and Dark Eldar and Sisters aren't far behind. I still don't really have a great feel for the Tau yet, though I'd like to because I like their aesthetic and think the Kroot are badass.

So, I'm returning to Dark Crusade and I'm juggling 3 different campaigns right now - Necron, Eldar, and Chaos. Might start a Tau campaign shortly. The Necron are incredibly annoying to fight. Hyperion Peaks (the map where you get the Forward Base ability) is incredibly difficult, at least as Chaos which is the only race I've ever attempted it as.

So! Thoughts, experiences, musings on this wonderful game?

Stimpack

I had been thinking recently about pre-3 Warcraft, Dark Reign, Mech Commander, etc. Absolutely loved all the Dawn of War games. Reading this thread is actually making me want to go back through them as well. They really were a joy to play, and I feel like they were the last of their kind.

In regards to the Warhammer series as a whole, are there any other games in that franchise that are noteworthy? Dawn of War seemed to be the only good ones out there from what I saw.

Adam Blue

Love this series. Didn't play much of the last expansion though - I think they added air units?

Dawn of War 2 is fun, but I prefer more of that C&C-style gaemplay. More units, base-building, etc.

Hystzen

Imperial guard for life

Them turtling tactics of dumping men in bunkers or buildings with turrets and lemon russ tanks. While you secretly build a main attack force in rear of your base, smash the enemy attack then counter with main army

adj_noun

I love Dawn of War. Still break it out every now and then.

UP YOURS

WHERE'S DA FIGHTIN'

GREEN IS BEST

TIME TA GET STUCK IN, BOYZ

WAAAGH!

Kurita

I think I still prefer Dawn of War 2. It went into a different direction, smaller maps... I had a ton of fun playing with friends online.

mr stroke

Absolutely love the game, sucks the franchise might be dead for a long while(since everyone moved onto MOBAs)

Love this series. Didn't play much of the last expansion though - I think they added air units?

Dawn of War 2 is fun, but I prefer more of that C&C-style gaemplay. More units, base-building, etc.

Soulstorm is a bit of a more balanced experience than Winter Assault and Dark Crusade, but it's campaign isn't terribly compelling - just a rehash of Dark Crusade from what I can tell, I haven't spent much time with it. I do all my skirmishes in Soulstorm though.

I heard Iron Lore planned on adding stuff like Chaos Dreadnaughts and Wraithguards but THQ or relic insisted they add air units.

ConceptX

I love Tau for superior range, there is a map me and my friend used to co-op all the time back in the day (forgot the name, really have to boot DoW back up) that had bases in such a way that combined with Tau races, our defences couldn't be touched.

It was glorious.

Shame DoW 2 ruined everything (for me).

I need to try the Space Marine game, whilst not an RTS, I've heard good things as far as Warhammer games are concerned.

Vaddon

My favourite real-time strategy franchise, absolutely amazing games. I actually preferred Dawn of War 2 over the first game but the original was still great. Every race had such an individual and unique flavour to them. The Orks had some of the most impressive voice-acting I've ever heard and they were my favourite faction to play as. I could never feel bored while playing as them, they were so much fun. But overall, I didn't dislike any faction, they were all enjoyable to play as. One of my most wished for games is Dawn of War 3, I hope it happens someday.

Top Bottom