• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters: Trump admin considering separating women, children at US-Mexico border

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

Women and children crossing together illegally into the United States could be separated by U.S. authorities under a proposal being considered by the Department of Homeland Security, according to three government officials.

Part of the reason for the proposal is to deter mothers from migrating to the United States with their children, said the officials, who have been briefed on the proposal.

The policy shift would allow the government to keep parents in custody while they contest deportation or wait for asylum hearings. Children would be put into protective custody with the Department of Health and Human Services, in the "least restrictive setting" while until they can be taken into the care of a U.S. relative or state-sponsored guardian.

Currently, families contesting deportation or applying for asylum are generally released from detention quickly and allowed to remain in the United States until their cases are resolved. A federal appeals court ruling bars prolonged child detention.

President Donald Trump has called for ending so-called "catch and release," in which migrants who cross illegally are freed to live in the United States while awaiting legal proceedings.

Two of the officials were briefed on the proposal at a Feb. 2 townhall for asylum officers by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services asylum chief John Lafferty.

A third DHS official said the department is actively considering separating women from their children but has not made a decision.

DHS, HHS and the White House did not respond to requests for comment.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-children-idUSKBN16A2ES

Thanks Van Jones.

This administration is really just pure evil. I have yet to hear anything, anything, remotely good about something they have done. And not just with immigrantion, with fucking anything.

Caja 117

I wonder how long until someone post that this is a good solution because those parents shouldn't be crossing the border with their kids.

ChuChu

I don't understand what's wrong with what they have now. They wait to stand trial and then they get sent back together.

kevin1025

Banned
So his plan to deter border crossing is to send the message that they are a horrible, inhuman government?

I mean, what in holy hell?

I am disgusted to be Trump's hair piece geographically.

Weckum

I was thinking yesterday that is was ironic that Obama-hating conspiracy nuts were all scared about being put in FEMA camps and such, and now those people - that I think tend to support Trump - have voted someone in office who is closer to doing this than Obama ever was.

Is this the policy that's supposed to make "the far-left and far-right" come together in unity? Separating mothers from their children, and throwing them into two different messed up situations?

Really?

LifEndz

Can't help but think of all the people I heard say "what harm can he really do as President anyway." What a pile of shit.

Fuck you, Steve Bannon.

And Trump supporters here won't post, either. I know this gets brought up all the time in Trump threads where Trump and his admin do terrible shit, but it's true. I know you'll lurk, though. You are such fucking cowards.

Slayven

Every new policy is just straight fuck brown people, where are the jobs, education, etc polices? Is 44% of America is happy ass long as brown folks are getting treated like shit.

Azuran

Banned
And Trump supporters here won't post, either. I know this gets brought up all the time in Trump threads where Trump and his admin do terrible shit, but it's true. I know you'll lurk, though. You are such fucking cowards.

They're too busy jacking off to pics of Pepe wearing MAGA hats. Kinda hard to post when both of your hands are unavailable.

epmode

Sounds like another attempt to get newpapers to report on something they weren't actually going to implement. Discrediting the media is fun, just make sure you don't comment until the story runs!

rjinaz

Every new policy is just straight fuck brown people, where are the jobs, education, etc polices? Is 44% of America is happy ass long as brown folks are getting treated like shit.

yes

President Lyndon B. Johnson once said,
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."

eizarus

Banned
What the actual fuck..... Don't we as a species generally consider the bond between mother and child to be the most sacred of human relationships? Even Satan would find the current US government to be going too far.

Boke1879

All the policy so far is really designed to fuck over brown and black people. Not one policy signed to really help jobs or education.

In fact they are rolling back on a lot of regulation that helps us. Obamacare repeal is going to fuck over a lot of people.

Fuck Trump and FUCK this administration.

Sounds like another attempt to get newpapers to report on something they weren't actually going to implement. Discrediting the media is fun, just make sure you don't comment until the story runs!

Bullshit. There was a lot of rumors that they were planning to roll back LGBT rights, which were 'discredited' later by comments from the admin, and then what do you know, Obama era rollbacks on Trans rights wasn't too far down the road. This is definitely something they're talking about for sure, it's perfectly in line with all the other vile things they have been doing towards immigrants. Get your goddamn head out of the sand, man, this shit is really happening.

Sephzilla

Deporting the mother but keeping the child in custody?

Please tell me this has to be illegal because of some international law?

epmode

Bullshit. There was a lot of rumors that they were planning to roll back LGBT rights, which were 'discredited' later by comments from the admin, and then what do you know, Obama era rollbacks on Trans rights wasn't too far down the road. This is definitely something they're talking about for sure, it's perfectly in line with all the other vile things they have been doing towards immigrants. Get your goddamn head out of the sand, man, this shit is really happening.
I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Not trying to make excuses. This administration is awful, full stop.

Syder

This administration is really just pure evil. I have yet to hear anything, anything, remotely good about something they have done. And not just with immigrantion, with fucking anything.
...and that's probably going to be the story of Trump's entire term.

I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Not trying to make excuses. This administration is awful, full stop.

You should be surprised if this is some plant story. With as leaky as this White House has been coupled and the fact that we have yet to have a story that is totally a fabrication planted in the main media, there's no reason to think this isn't something being talking about. I mean, shit, after VOICE, this seems unbearably plausible.

1066781.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom