• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reviews for 'Fences', with and by Denzel Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oersted

220px-Fences_%28film%29.png

Here is a trailer

https://youtu.be/JKHwqON7qiI

Synopsis

Set in 1950s Pittsburgh, a former Negro League player, now working as a waste collector, struggles to provide for his family and come to terms with the events of his life.

Reviews

The movie of Fences doesn't need Hollywood bells and whistles. This writer, this director and these actors are all the magnificence required to grab your attention and hold it. The time is 1957. The place is Pittsburgh, where Wilson set nine of the 10 plays in his "Century" cycle, each play occurring in a different decade and each meant to illuminate, in the writer's words, "the poetry in the everyday language of black America."

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/peter-travers-fences-movie-review-w455997

“What about my life?” she asks him in the midst of an especially wrenching confrontation. What is most remarkable about this film is how thoroughly — how painfully, how honestly, how beautifully — it answers that question.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/12/1...zel-washington-viola-davis.html?_r=0&referer=

Fences is a labor of love and attention must be paid. You don’t get writing or acting of this caliber every day, and in this particularly dreary year of second-rate everything, this movie is something special.

http://observer.com/2016/12/fences-movie-review-2016-best-ensemble/

It’s about the past as well as the future. And optimism and deep-seated realism wrestle in its bones.

http://www.vox.com/culture/2016/12/...w-denzel-washington-viola-davis-august-wilson

Lock if old

93% on RT. there's complaints it isn't cinematic enough but everyone agrees the acting is an absolute tour de force. denzel and viola (especially viola) at the top of their game it seems.

93% on RT. there's complaints it isn't cinematic enough but everyone agrees the acting is an absolute tour de force. denzel and viola (especially viola) at the top of their game it seems.

Even if it's just the play scene for scene with actual sets instead of play props and foley I'm sold.

The play is seminal.

A film in 2016 being accused of not being 'cinematic enough?' Sounds like a welcome and long-overdue reprieve. More excited to see it than ever.

According to What the Flick, it's kinda static and still feel like a play.

I think Oscar is coming down the La La Land and Moonlight.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Even if it's just the play scene for scene with actual sets instead of play props and foley I'm sold.

The play is seminal.

Yup. August Wilson is probably the greatest American playwright of the 20th century. Word is Denzel wants to adapt all 10 of the Century Cycle plays and that would be incredible. Important and great plays that should be far, far better known.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Yup. August Wilson is probably the greatest American playwright of the 20th century. Word is Denzel wants to adapt all 10 of the Century Cycle plays and that would be incredible. Important and great plays that should be far, far better known.

Tennessee Williams is up there as well.

DrBo42

Saw this, Manchester By the Sea and Moonlight over the break. Hard to imagine Denzel and Viola not going home with Oscar's, definitely the best performances I've seen. Moonlight was also heartbreaking.

Dartastic

According to What the Flick, it's kinda static and still feel like a play.

I think Oscar is coming down the La La Land and Moonlight.
Saw it on Christmas. Completely agree with this criticism. Movie was good. Not great. Denzel and Viola were incredible, however.

Movie was amazing. As someone who is recently going through some serious dddy issues a lot of what was portrayed hit home. I wept. Denzel and Viola killed it.

DrBo42

I definitely agree it feels too much like a play though. While it does feel intentionally claustrophobic and reinforces the "You build fences to keep people out or to keep people in." idea but does negatively affect the film. Probably keeps it from being amazing.

The film does feel claustrophobic and jarring at first but I'd say I got fully settled in after the first 30. Viola and Denzel are just on a completely different level from most actors. Viola, especially, is operating at a different level from every actress performance this year. The fact that Michelle Williams is even in contention for Manchester is a disgrace tbh.

If this was a film about early Irish immigrants settling into America and their family drama starring Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep, they'd sweep the oscar acting categories no problem.

Denzel carried the first half of the movie, Viola Davis the second. Fine performances & fine dialogue, with Denzel's opening monologues being the high points. Think the first 20 minutes of the movie is him talking in a breathless manner but I was there for every word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom