• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rick Perry didn't know the DOE was about nukes until after he accepted job (unless..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
WASHINGTON — When President-elect Donald J. Trump offered Rick Perry the job of energy secretary five weeks ago, Mr. Perry gladly accepted, believing he was taking on a role as a global ambassador for the American oil and gas industry that he had long championed in his home state.

In the days after, Mr. Perry, the former Texas governor, discovered that he would be no such thing — that in fact, if confirmed by the Senate, he would become the steward of a vast national security complex he knew almost nothing about, caring for the most fearsome weapons on the planet, the United States' nuclear arsenal.

Two-thirds of the agency's annual $30 billion budget is devoted to maintaining, refurbishing and keeping safe the nation's nuclear stockpile; thwarting nuclear proliferation; cleaning up and rebuilding an aging constellation of nuclear production facilities; and overseeing national laboratories that are considered the crown jewels of government science.

”If you asked him on that first day he said yes, he would have said, ‘I want to be an advocate for energy,'" said Michael McKenna, a Republican energy lobbyist who advised Mr. Perry's 2016 presidential campaign and worked on the Trump transition's Energy Department team in its early days. ”If you asked him now, he'd say, ‘I'm serious about the challenges facing the nuclear complex.' It's been a learning curve."

Horrible things are going to happen in the next four years because there's no one but incompetent people running the government now.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/18/...ecretary-donald-trump.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

Mod power abuse: http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...or-about-rick-perry.html?mid=twitter-share-di

SexyFish

Banned
I'm surprised he even remember he accepted the job to the Department of Energy.

Perry in his office: "So I'm in charge of oil...gas...and what is the third one? God dammit I just can't remember."

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Wouldn't be surprised if Trump didn't even know. Our country is now run entirely by people with shit for brains.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Keep in mind that this is also one of the departments that Perry said he wanted to do away with when he was running for President.

This is the darkest, dumbest timeline imaginable.

woolley

So he wanted to eliminate the DoE and didn't even know what it did? As disgusting as that is I'm really not surprised.

Complistic

This is shaping up to be the best season of Earth ever.

earthtvshow.jpg

hawk2025

The fucker literally couldn't wait to shill for oil and took the job before even understanding it.

These companies couldn't hope for better puppets.

Hopefully this means he'll just let the senior staff maintain business as usual while he's in charge.

Yeah I mean my hope is that these people are overwhelmed when they go into office and just sort of let staff manage most of everything and don't get us all killed.

daveo42

Banned
Awesome. The more I hear the more I think we will be lucky to make even two years at this rate. Not aliens, not asteroids, not even cosmic destruction will end humanity at this point. No...it's gonna be sheer stupidity that dooms humanity.

Magwik

Banned
Remember when Rick Perry's presidential campaign was killed by releasing an ad attacking gay people? Good times. Also fuck Rick Perry.

i.. don't think you can go lower than this. this is the height of stupidity.

we're talking about USA's nukes. the scariest weapons in human history.. and basically some random schmuck just kind of accidentally stumbles into being the leader of the agency in charge of them.

Caja 117

My only hope is that all of these appointed official are too dumb to do a bigger damage than politician that know what they are doing.

kmfdmpig

Keep in mind that this is also one of the departments that Perry said he wanted to do away with when he was running for President.

This is the darkest, dumbest timeline imaginable.

That's such great irony. He knows nothing about what they do, but assumes it must not be important so wants to close them down. Now he runs the department.

What a shitshow of cabinet nominees. Other than Mattis and Shulkin and perhaps Kelly, Chao and Haley they're a complete bunch of unqualified buffoons. A non-political president should have experienced politicians around him to help, not fellow novices that also have no idea how government works.

Hopefully if things are as much of a disaster as they appear to be the public will lose the idea that an "outsider" is more appealing than someone with relevant government experience.

This lol. To be fair to the citizenry it is a misleading name.

But nuclear bombs make a lot of energy. The best energy. Yuge amounts of energy.

Why isn't there some kind of protocol that prevents such key positions from being filled by unqualified people? Seriously, democracy is good, but why is the vetting process to land a job at a warehouse more harsher than fools being put into HIGHLY important positions to run our country? This pisses me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom