• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rick Perry didn't know the DOE was about nukes until after he accepted job (unless..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
hqdefault.jpg

vlcsnap-2012-06-20-22h11m40s86.png

PKrockin

Did anybody in this thread know this though? I thought nuclear uptake would be under Department of Defense or something
This is a major politician and presidential candidate who ran his campaign on abolishing the Department of Energy along with two others, and he didn't even know what the fuck it does.

He knows so little about it, this was the third department he famously forgot about in his "oops" moment.

Hexa

just came to say this.

and doesnt nasa only get like $5b a year?

what a fucking joke this country is.

First off, no. It's about $19b.
Also, US spends more way more than other countries. ESA for example is only about 5b Euros. It's about as disproportionate as our defense spending.

Allforce

Not only does the DoE maintain and develop the nation's nuclear arsenal but it also oversees basically every top-secret lab we have, including Area 51 and other clandestine facilities that are developing future weapons and technology.

The department is one of the most powerful in the entire US gov't and is responsible for some of the most advanced technologies ever created over the last 60+ years.

And now the guy who owned a ranch named "Niggerhead" is in charge.

Big-E

This story is good for people to understand something that I learned as I entered the workforce. A lot of people are no where near qualified for the positions they are in. Take chances by applying for jobs you are not really qualified for. Chances are you know more than some of the people in those positions.

UberTag

Horrible things are going to happen in the next four years because there's no one but incompetent people running the government now.
Isn't that what the people voted for?
To have "the swamp" drained of competent people and replaced with the rich and entitled?
I'm pretty sure that was one of Trump's election promises.

As for Rick Perry, I'm sure he can find a drinking bird to cover for him. Nothing to worry about.

L_ryM0.gif

See... we're in good hands.

reKon

Banned
Not only does the DoE maintain and develop the nation's nuclear arsenal but it also oversees basically every top-secret lab we have, including Area 51 and other clandestine facilities that are developing future weapons and technology.

The department is one of the most powerful in the entire US gov't and is responsible for some of the most advanced technologies ever created over the last 60+ years.

And now the guy who owned a ranch named "Niggerhead" is in charge.

What....

gaugebozo

Did anybody in this thread know this though? I thought nuclear uptake would be under Department of Defense or something
I get my funding as a particle physicist through the DOE, so yes. Most of us are scared shitless. I'm glad I'm leaving the field now and am not like a year into a degree or a post doc.

Definitely the best part:

Mr. Perry, who once called for the elimination of the Energy Department, will begin the confirmation process Thursday with a hearing before the Senate Energy Committee. If approved by the Senate, he will take over from a secretary, Ernest J. Moniz, who was chairman of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology physics department and directed the linear accelerator at M.I.T.’s Laboratory for Nuclear Science. Before Mr. Moniz, the job belonged to Steven Chu, a physicist who won a Nobel Prize.

Man, what a downgrade.

Xe4

Banned
First off, no. It's about $19b.
Also, US spends more way more than other countries. ESA for example is only about 5b Euros. It's about as disproportionate as our defense spending.
What??? No, it's not. At ALL. Jesus I don't even know where you got that idea it's so wrong it makes my head hurt.

Rick Perry will succeed the current Secretary of Energy Ernest Moniz

Wikipedia said:
Ernest Jeffrey Moniz (born December 22, 1944) is an American nuclear physicist and the United States Secretary of Energy, serving under U.S. President Barack Obama since May 2013. He served as the Associate Director for Science in the Office of Science and Technology Policy in the Executive Office of the President of the United States from 1995 to 1997 and was Under Secretary of Energy from 1997 to 2001 during the Clinton Administration.

Moniz is one of the founding members of The Cyprus Institute and has served at Massachusetts Institute of Technology as the Cecil and Ida Green Professor of Physics and Engineering Systems, as the Director of the Energy Initiative, and as the Director of the Laboratory for Energy and the Environment.

And before Moniz was Steven Chu

Wikipedia said:
Steven Chu born February 28, 1948) is an American physicist. He is known for his research at Bell Labs and Stanford University regarding the cooling and trapping of atoms with laser light, which won him the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1997, along with his scientific colleagues Claude Cohen-Tannoudji and William Daniel Phillips.

Chu served as the 12th United States Secretary of Energy from 2009 to 2013. At the time of his appointment as Energy Secretary, Chu was a professor of physics and molecular and cellular biology at the University of California, Berkeley, and the director of the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, where his research was concerned primarily with the study of biological systems at the single molecule level. Chu resigned as energy secretary on April 22, 2013. He returned to Stanford as Professor of Physics and Professor of Molecular & Cellular Physiology.

Chu is a vocal advocate for more research into renewable energy and nuclear power, arguing that a shift away from fossil fuels is essential to combating climate change. He has conceived of a global "glucose economy", a form of a low-carbon economy, in which glucose from tropical plants is shipped around like oil is today.

jblank83

That's such great irony. He knows nothing about what they do, but assumes it must not be important so wants to close them down. Now he runs the department.

What a shitshow of cabinet nominees. Other than Mattis and Shulkin and perhaps Kelly, Chao and Haley they're a complete bunch of unqualified buffoons. A non-political president should have experienced politicians around him to help, not fellow novices that also have no idea how government works.

My only hope is that the established bureaucracy will simply ignore these figureheads, do their jobs, and keep anything horrible from happening.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

I did. And I don't read history books, work in the field, or anything of the sort. I'm not someone with 30 years of experience working in government. I'm not running for president oe energy secretary.

Fuck Perry. Fuck Trump. Fuck the GOP

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
So now this idiot will likely be rubber-stamped by his republican frat brothers into a position that more so than most, really does require a god damned scientist.

Aside from the inside money and bribes, I suspect one reason why republicans talk about coal and oil so much is that it's simple enough for them to understand. Swing axe, get burning rock! Dig hole, get guzzoline! Big fire, big motor, big money!

tuxfool

Banned
So now this idiot will likely be rubber-stamped by his republican frat brothers into a position that more so than most, really does require a god damned scientist.

Aside from the inside money and bribes, I suspect one reason why republicans talk about coal and oil so much is that it's simple enough for them to understand. Swing axe, get burning rock! Dig hole, get guzzoline! Big fire, big motor, big money!
TBH both those also employ highly trained scientists and engineers.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
TBH both those also employ highly trained scientists and engineers.

Oh I know, believe me. They're not "simple" either. But they're conceptually basic enough that it seems more brain dead politicians can grasp that they're real.

Hexa

What??? No, it's not. At ALL. Jesus I don't even know where you got that idea it's so wrong it makes my head hurt.

I meant compared to the rest of the world. Like if you made a chart like this, it would be pretty similar comparatively (though the numbers for everything would be much smaller obviously).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom