• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rick Perry didn't know the DOE was about nukes until after he accepted job (unless..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I remember that. I'm also glad that information wasn't given as well. You see any hope at all going forward, or do you basically see this as the end of the DOE as you know it?

The DOE won't end. Even if he wants to Perry would never be able to actually shut it down; it's a huge, slow moving bureaucracy. I imagine less focus will be centered on renewable energy.

this feels fitting

Gcs2mxi.gif

dramatis

Ultimately they are figureheads, powerful figureheads who can fuck shit up with terrible decisions, but the day to day heavy lifting is done by the lifers. As long as they take their advice we should be okay.
Not really.

For instance, the Iran deal was done with the assistance of current secretary Moniz. During the Deepwater Horizon incident (BP's massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico), it was because Steven Chu was a physicist that he had been able to help BP plug up their garbage.

On Moniz and the Iran deal:
In July, the U.S. and other nations drew up an agreement with Iran to limit the country’s nuclear program, with a goal of preventing Iran from developing nuclear weapons. As a Congressional vote on the deal draws near, the White House is using science to sell the accord. In a video released today, Ernest Moniz—the Secretary of Energy and a bona fide nuclear physicist—explains the agreement’s limits on uranium and centrifuges, and how they would restrict Iran’s ability to build a bomb.

The science hinges on uranium enrichment. As it occurs in nature, uranium is a mix (mostly) of two isotopes: U-235 and U-238. Uranium 235 is the isotope that’s fissile—that is, it causes the runaway reaction that powers bombs and reactors alike. Naturally occurring uranium contains less than one percent U-235. The rest is U-238. To make energy, it’s necessary to boost the relative amount of U-235 to about three to five percent, according to the World Nuclear Association. That boosting is done with centrifuges. To make a bomb, the fraction of U-235 needs to be far higher—about 90 percent.

On Steven Chu and Deepwater Horizon:
The scientist-versus-scientist clashes are just some of the new details about science's role in stopping the spill that have emerged in the year since the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig exploded and set off what would become the worst oil spill in U.S. history. When BP scientists couldn't figure out how the blowout preventer failed, Chu suggested gamma-ray imaging, which could visually pierce the giant piece of equipment at the bottom of the sea. (It did the trick, revealing that the preventer's pipe-shearing rams had not fully slammed shut, allowing oil to continue spewing.) When BP engineers presented plans for containment caps or other operations, Chu and his team of independent hydrologists and geophysicists would question assumptions in a bid to force BP to consider the full range of possibilities, rather than simply hoping for the best. And when BP scientists failed to develop better plans, Chu invited other oil companies—Chevron, ExxonMobil and Shell—into the effort.
I would argue that in an age where we emphasize science and technology so much, that having a highly qualified scientist as Energy Secretary can prove to be helpful in times of emergency and in times of policy.

Try to picture Rick Perry being able to assist in a foreign policy agreement with science, or doing napkin math to determine how much oil is spilling from an oil well and brainstorming the practical applications of various technologies that can be used to fix it.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Try to picture Rick Perry being able to assist in a foreign policy agreement with science, or doing napkin math to determine how much oil is spilling from an oil well and brainstorming the practical applications of various technologies that can be used to fix it.
This is paragraph is messing with my head.

When are the nominations going to be confirmed anyway?

EloKa

Can we add this to the OP because of ... reasons?
The Energy Department was on the list of agencies he said he wanted to eliminate when he ran for the Republican presidential nomination in 2012 — though he famously forgot its name during a debate. Despite what he called his “oops” moment, he stood by his call to dismantle the department, saying, “They’ve never created one bit of energy, the best I can tell

Trickster

Isn't the current DOE guy a nuclear physicist? Going from him to this idiot is so embarrassing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Moniz

He's a nuclear physicist and he was head of the department of physics from 1991 to 1995 at the freaking MIT. And from what i can read he also still co-chairs their research council.

But hey, he ain't got Perry's "make me look smart" glasses. So that's something...

The downgrade going from the Obama administration to Trump's, is just so insanely huge that it boggles the mind that this can even happen

Nephtis

This shit is so bad, everyone is so incompetent, that I think that things will somehow end up working out.

Like, it has to be one of those comedic situations. Just gotta be.

RawNuts

Fuck it, time to apply for jobs in industries that I have no experience in and that I have no business working in. If it's good enough for our country's highest-ranking officials, it's good enough for me.

Not really.

For instance, the Iran deal was done with the assistance of current secretary Moniz. During the Deepwater Horizon incident (BP's massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico), it was because Steven Chu was a physicist that he had been able to help BP plug up their garbage.

I would argue that in an age where we emphasize science and technology so much, that having a highly qualified scientist as Energy Secretary can prove to be helpful in times of emergency and in times of policy.

On top of that, are we even sure there will be a little man to rely on if they purge these departments to be surrounded by their people?

That would be even worse than having out of their depth morons heading these agencies.

Luschient

giphy.gif

BlitzKeeg

At this point I don't think anything short of an actual coup will save us from imminent destruction.

We simply cannot allow the power to transfer to these incompetent fools.

I see now exactly why Putin wanted Trump to become president. Our country is going to destroy itself without him having to lift a finger.

Shadybiz

To be honest, I didn't know that either. But I'm also not a high-ranking federal government official, so...

Exactly. And you also didn't campaign to eliminate the department. He campaigned to get rid of this department...back when he didn't even know what it was.

Surgeon: "I don't know what this organ is. ...Eh, toss it."

Kill3r7

Not really.

You named the two appointees under President Obama who were very effective because of their skill-set and Subject Matter Expertise. However, I was responding to a post that was discussing previous Secretaries of Energy and the fact that at first glance their CVs do not seem to fit the bill. Ultimately, the ability to be an effective leader is not dependent on being a SME but rather one's ability to engage, listen, discern, and to act. It obviously helps to be a SME but you can and should hire other capable people who have these skills. It is also important to seek out dissenting opinions. My point was that there are good folks working at the department of energy (lifers) that have a wealth of knowledge and are SMEs. They are the ones who have the scientific knowledge and are capable of doing napkin math. They will throw out ideas during a brainstorming session. Then the question becomes, will Perry listen to them?

tuxfool

Banned
You named the two appointees under President Obama who were very effective because of their skill-set and Subject Matter Expertise. However, I was responding to a post that was discussing previous Secretaries of Energy and the fact that at first glance their CVs do not seem to fit the bill. Ultimately, the ability to be an effective leader is not dependent on being a SME but rather one's ability to engage, listen, discern, and to act. It obviously helps to be a SME but you can and should hire other capable people who have these skills. It is also important to seek out dissenting opinions. My point was that there are good folks working at the department of energy (lifers) that have a wealth of knowledge and are SMEs. They are the ones who have the scientific knowledge and are capable of doing napkin math. They will throw out ideas during a brainstorming session. Then the question becomes, will Perry listen to them?

I'll say this again. Rick Perry got a D in Meat.

setting my personal political preferences aside, i see little difference between horrible, outrageous and hilarious accusations vs Obama and Clinton and outrage about every time Trump lifts a finger.

I know nothing of politics of Rick Perry (and i would likely find them ridiculous), and I would certainly never vote Trump but at the same time, if Rick Perry could have run Texas for 15 years, is on board of company that owns largest portfolio of energy assess in the USA, then he can run DOE.

DOE has over 100,000 people working for it. It is huge organization. Politics aside and my own personal preferences aside, it is managment position. Generally speaking you need someone who managed 100,000 people and thousand projects before, not an university professor that managed department.

Of course it would be better if that "manager" was someone who pushes policies closer to my heart, but country did not vote that way.
Clearly, you don't know that much. Governors have a pretty limited set of powers in Texas and don't really run the show. His experience is essentially hollow. Being on the board of a company can also make for very hollow experience.

The man is a fool and unqualified

RDreamer

While I think the original story is probably sensationalist in nature and that likely he knew the department had to do with the nations nuclear arsenal and just didn't exactly know what the entire outlook of the job was, I'm not sure how this particular story refutes the original. How does a statement issued the day he was nominated to head the department show he didn't know fully? The day they announced he was nominated isn't actually the day he was personally asked. He would have been talked to in private probably for days or possibly weeks before that announcement.

dramatis

Did you miss this line?

"I would argue that in an age where we emphasize science and technology so much, that having a highly qualified scientist as Energy Secretary can prove to be helpful in times of emergency and in times of policy."

The world has changed since Clinton's and Bush's presidencies. For the Department of Energy, I seriously doubt Trump could have had trouble finding a decent scientist or professor or engineer to take over the role, but he chose Rick Perry. The question is not "Will Rick Perry listen to them?" The question is "There are plenty of better choices than Rick Perry, why him?" The reason the DoE is shocked isn't because Trump is president (though that might be a part of it), it's that Trump couldn't pick somebody other than the one who never bothered to learn in 5 years what their department does after he fumbled their department name.

The point of the Cabinet is to advise and act for the president. Now you're saying it's fine for the Secretaries to be idiots, and they will have staff that advise and act for them instead. If that's the case, why are we even holding elections?

Kill3r7

Did you miss this line?

"I would argue that in an age where we emphasize science and technology so much, that having a highly qualified scientist as Energy Secretary can prove to be helpful in times of emergency and in times of policy."

The world has changed since Clinton's and Bush's presidencies. For the Department of Energy, I seriously doubt Trump could have had trouble finding a decent scientist or professor or engineer to take over the role, but he chose Rick Perry. The question is not "Will Rick Perry listen to them?" The question is "There are plenty of better choices than Rick Perry, why him?" The reason the DoE is shocked isn't because Trump is president (though that might be a part of it), it's that Trump couldn't pick somebody other than the one who never bothered to learn in 5 years what their department does after he fumbled their department name.

The point of the Cabinet is to advise and act for the president. Now you're saying it's fine for the Secretaries to be idiots, and they will have staff that advise and act for them instead. If that's the case, why are we even holding elections?

Why him? Trump clearly believes in cronyism. As to Secretaries being idiots, selfish or unqualified that is nothing new. Again I am not suggesting that this is a good thing. We should always aim to hire the best and most qualified individuals for the job.

Why even hold elections? The fail safe is that we the people elect our officials who sit there during the conformation hearings and later on decide their fates. If we have elected poorly then the fault lies with us just as much as with them.

dramatis

Why him? Trump clearly believes in cronyism. As to Secretaries being idiots, selfish or unqualified that is nothing new. Again I am not suggesting that this is a good thing. We should always aim to hire the best and most qualified individuals for the job.

Why even hold elections? The fail safe is that we the people elect our officials who sit there during the conformation hearings and later on decide their fates. If we have elected poorly then the fault lies with us just as much as with them.
Rick Perry didn't contribute to Trump though. He wasn't a major supporter, when he exited the primary he gave a strongly worded concession against the kinds of things Trump stood for. There is no doubt that Perry folded now because of power and money, but Trump did not need to reward Perry.

There is no question that we shoulder the blame for who we elect. However, you're suggesting that the leaders of the country can mostly play figureheads and follow the advice of the civil service bureaucracy. You don't get to argue that and the value of having elections, because then we wouldn't need elections, we'd just sort out who should be leaders based off of their capability in civil service.

UCBooties

Ok... so... here's what's going to save us...

Rick Perry's mismanagement is going to cause our already decrepit nuclear infrastructure to degrade completely...

Then, when Trump orders a nuclear launch because of a Twitter feud...

The ICBM doesn't launch because the silo rusted shut...

Nuclear War averted!

gaugebozo

Yep. I have a patient that works in the DoE and he's in disbelief. Apparently, a lot of his co-workers who voted for Trump didn't think he'd actually put someone like Perry in charge... Now they're all shitting their pants.

He is expecting the worst. Morale is very low, as you say.
People in the DOE voted for Trump? What the fuck?

Kathian

Banned
Personally I think it's probably better to have that run by defence and the energy sec responsibilities staying with you know energy.

Kill3r7

Rick Perry didn't contribute to Trump though. He wasn't a major supporter, when he exited the primary he gave a strongly worded concession against the kinds of things Trump stood for. There is no doubt that Perry folded now because of power and money, but Trump did not need to reward Perry.

One of Trump's early financial backers was a former Perry crony form Texas. NPR did a piece of this a while back, I just can't remember which show it was.

There is no question that we shoulder the blame for who we elect. However, you're suggesting that the leaders of the country can mostly play figureheads and follow the advice of the civil service bureaucracy. You don't get to argue that and the value of having elections, because then we wouldn't need elections, we'd just sort out who should be leaders based off of their capability in civil service.

Not the elected leaders, just the appointed ones. Sure I can still argue about elections. We elect the officials who ultimately confirm these individuals/figureheads.

Anyhow this is all a moot point, as I am not trying to justify Rick Perry. I was merely responding to a different person talking about former Secretaries of Energy.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
/dead

Not really.

Jesus fucking Christ. This just went from hilarious to to horribly depressing.

JCizzle

Personally I think it's probably better to have that run by defence and the energy sec responsibilities staying with you know energy.

The real people working on the nuclear stuff are all crazy genius scientist types, i'm not sure it's the best fit for that portfolio to be under DoD (granted, DoD is probably infinitely more accepting of academics today than fifty years ago).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom