• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rick Perry didn't know the DOE was about nukes until after he accepted job (unless..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note: This department is the department that Perry wanted to close but forgot.

And then in the next five years, he learned literally nothing about that department that is the moment he's most remembered for.

It is kind of gobsmacking that one could very likely outperform a cabinet nominee during the confirmation process by spending two minutes on Wikipedia.

tuxfool

Banned
That's such great irony. He knows nothing about what they do, but assumes it must not be important so wants to close them down. Now he runs the department.

What a shitshow of cabinet nominees. Other than Mattis and Shulkin and perhaps Kelly, Chao and Haley they're a complete bunch of unqualified buffoons. A non-political president should have experienced politicians around him to help, not fellow novices that also have no idea how government works.

Hopefully if things are as much of a disaster as they appear to be the public will lose the idea that an "outsider" is more appealing than someone with relevant government experience.
The question isn't even about being a politician. Anybody reasonable would choose people versed in the technical positions they are suited for, never mind these people don't know how government works, they don't even have the vaguest bit of domain knowledge of the fields they're supposed to govern.

Trump's first order of business will be to rename all of the departments so he doesn't get confused by their misleading names anymore.

DoE to become the Department of Big Bombs.

Maybe this kid can help him

SfvJXSC.gif

Iolo

Mr. Perry, who once called for the elimination of the Energy Department, will begin the confirmation process Thursday with a hearing before the Senate Energy Committee. If approved by the Senate, he will take over from a secretary, Ernest J. Moniz, who was chairman of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology physics department and directed the linear accelerator at M.I.T.’s Laboratory for Nuclear Science. Before Mr. Moniz, the job belonged to Steven Chu, a physicist who won a Nobel Prize.

For Mr. Moniz, the future of nuclear science has been a lifelong obsession; he spent his early years working at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center. Mr. Perry studied animal husbandry and led cheers at Texas A&M University.

just wanted to remind everyone of when the last Republican president put an incompetent fool in charge of an important issue

Before joining the DHS/FEMA, Brown was the Judges and Stewards Commissioner for the International Arabian Horse Association (IAHA) from 1989-2001. After numerous lawsuits were filed against the organization over disciplinary actions that Brown took against members violating the Association's code of ethics,[11] Brown resigned and negotiated a buy-out of his contract.

On August 31, 2005, following Hurricane Katrina being named an "Incident of National Significance", Brown was named the Principal Federal Official and placed in charge of the federal government's response by Homeland Security Director Michael Chertoff. On September 7, 2005, Coast Guard Chief of Staff Vice Admiral Thad Allen was named Brown's deputy and given operational control of search and rescue and recovery efforts.[16]

On September 9, 2005, Chertoff relieved Brown of all on-site relief duties along the Gulf Coast, officially replacing him with Vice Admiral Allen. Brown remained Under Secretary of Emergency Preparedness and Response. Brown told the Associated Press that "the press" was making him a scapegoat for the slow federal response to the hurricane.

ezrarh

This is the fragility of a large and powerful federal government. Every once in a while you get the absolutely worst people in charge. I didn't think it'd happen this soon...

L.O.L

Trump's incompetence knows no bounds and it extends to his team as well. Reading this and watching DeVos get clowned is hilariously sad.

h1nch

This paragraph in the OP article struck me in particular:

Mr. Perry, who once called for the elimination of the Energy Department, will begin the confirmation process Thursday with a hearing before the Senate Energy Committee. If approved by the Senate, he will take over from a secretary, Ernest J. Moniz, who was chairman of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology physics department and directed the linear accelerator at M.I.T.’s Laboratory for Nuclear Science. Before Mr. Moniz, the job belonged to Steven Chu, a physicist who won a Nobel Prize.

So we went from a Nobel Prize winning nuclear physicist, to the guy who ran the MIT Physics department, to...Rick Perry. Who wasn't even aware of what the Dept. of Energy actually did.

Rick Perry doesn't know a lot of shit. Because Rick Perry is an idiot. An idiot who made a concerted effort to drive the healthy Texas economy into the ground.

watershed

Banned

So we went from a Nobel Prize winning nuclear physicist, to the guy who ran the MIT Physics department, to...Rick Perry. Who wasn't even aware of what the Dept. of Energy actually did.
That's the patented republican difference. People who don't know shit and they're proud of it!

MIMIC

Banned
He could have just Googled "Department of Energy," which would have taken him to this Wiki page:

The United States Department of Energy (DOE) is a Cabinet-level department of the United States Government concerned with the United States' policies regarding energy and safety in handling nuclear material. Its responsibilities include the nation's nuclear weapons program, nuclear reactor production for the United States Navy, energy conservation, energy-related research, radioactive waste disposal, and domestic energy production. It also directs research in genomics; the Human Genome Project originated in a DOE initiative.[3] DOE sponsors more research in the physical sciences than any other U.S. federal agency, the majority of which is conducted through its system of National Laboratories.[4]

We doomed, yall

TheMan

honestly i didn't know the DOE took care of nukes.

but then again I didn't fucking accept a job as head of the DOE.

If we somehow come out of this mostly in one piece(we won't), I hope America learns from this huge mistake of electing this idiot to office. What's likely to happen though is most of the red states will blame Obama or something and then make the same mistake next election.

But Make America Great Again

/s

To be fair, why does maintenance of nukes fall to the DoE?

Although I'm not an elected official...

It's really just the name for a handful of agencies that got folded into the same umbrella. The word 'Energy' has basically always been tied to nuclear development at the federal level.

Seems like there's an anti-intellectual movement going on

If we somehow come out of this mostly in one piece(we won't), I hope America learns from this huge mistake of electing this idiot to office. What's likely to happen though is most of the red states will blame Obama or something and then make the same mistake next election.

But Make America Great Again

/s

Well didn't learn the last time we put an idiot in charge

Many of the people who champion the "Government should be run like a business" idea don't seem qualified to run a goddamn lemonade stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom