• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rick Perry, who wanted to eliminate the Department of Energy, is now its secretary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever.

NYT said:
WASHINGTON — President-elect Donald J. Trump plans to name the former Texas governor Rick Perry as his secretary of energy.

The selection of Mr. Perry to lead the energy agency would offer a rich paradox: During a televised debate in 2011, when he was seeking the Republican nomination, Mr. Perry intended to list the Department of Energy among agencies he wanted to eliminate, but he could not remember its name.

While Texas is rich in energy resources and Mr. Perry is an enthusiastic advocate of extracting them, it is not clear how that experience would translate into leading what is also a major national security agency. Despite its name, the Department of Energy plays the leading role in designing nuclear weapons and in ensuring the safety and reliability of the nation’s aging nuclear arsenal through a constellation of scientific laboratories.

About 60 percent of the Energy Department’s budget is devoted to managing the National Nuclear Security Administration, which defines its mission as enhancing national security through the military application of nuclear science.

Stranger-Things-DoE.jpg

btrboyev

You really can't make this up can you? You would think Teump is purposely putting these people in place to get the boot and it's not working and he just doesn't wanna quit.

I'm currently at the DOE and people are talking about the end of the world lol. At this point all I can do is laugh as the world burns. Secretary Moniz is awesome; from him to Peryy, hahahha.

ezrarh

When you get a Trump in the presidency, maybe getting rid of all the federal agencies isn't necessarily a bad thing. Although...the whole nuclear weapons thing shouldn't be left to the states...

higemaru

Well yeah, the best way to get rid of a government agency is to make it inefficient and a burden. Washington did this with Johnson's progressive policies earlier under Nixon. Now fewer people will object if we cut the budget or straight eliminate a floundering Department.

RPGCrazied

We are truly living in an unwakeable nightmare. Each pick is worse than the last. Its like he is just trolling and or giving out positions to people that was loyal to him. But Rick Perry wasn't. He said this election that Trump was a cancer to conservatism and must be cut out.

Wow, Trump and his dumb ass/hateful supporters really screwed over the country this time huh? I don't see how we recover from this one. Trump is no Bush, it will be astronomically worse.

Steejee

So basically best case scenario for the DoE is that he's an ineffectual moron who achieves nothing. I don't think I've ever seen so many people chosen to run departments they actively want to destroy.

Worst case scenario is we're all fucked, but that was pretty obvious the moment Trump was declared winner.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm starting to believe that The Onion saw the current cycle coming from afar and launched Clickhole as their plan B.

Smart.

"The best people to run these Departments are people that don't like them. Excluding the Department of Defense of course." -Trump

The effects of this election read like a dystopian novel.

"The man who couldn't remember the name "Department of Energy" while calling for it to be abolished now leads the Department of Energy. So it goes."

The effects of this election read like a dystopian novel.

"The man who couldn't remember the name "Department of Energy" while calling for it to be abolished now leads the Department of Energy. So it goes."

Honestly, I really don't care that he couldn't remember. It was a brain fart, the bigger problem is he actually wanted to get rid of the department and now he is the guy in charge of said department. It is horribly ironic and depressing at the same time.

Honestly, I really don't care that he couldn't remember. It was a brain fart, the bigger problem is he actually wanted to get rid of the department and now he is the guy in charge of said department. It is horribly ironic and depressing at the same time.
Oh I agree. But it adds such wonderful flavor to the sentence.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I saw this on redit

The last couple secretaries have been Ph.D scientists. Perry is not a scientist.
For the record, here are Obama's two Energy Secretaries:

Steven Chu:
  • BA in Mathematics and BS in Physics from the University of Rochester
  • Ph.D in physics from the University of California, Berkeley
  • Won the 1997 Nobel Prize in physics for his work on laser-cooling techniques and magneto-optical trapping of atoms using lasers
  • Member of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences, the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, and the American Philosophical Society
  • Served as Secretary of Energy from 2009 to 2013
Ernest Moniz (incumbent)
  • Graduated Summa Cum Laude with a BS in physics from Boston College
  • Ph.D. in physics from Stanford University
  • Joined the faculty of MIT in 1973
  • Head of MIT's physics department from 1991-1995 and director of the Bates Linear Accelerator
  • Served in the Clinton administration as Associate Director for Science in the Office of Science and Technology Policy in the Executive Office of the President from 1995 to 1997
  • Under Secretary of Energy from 1997 to 2001

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom