• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rick Perry, who wanted to eliminate the Department of Energy, is now its secretary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delt31

oh liberal gaf I love you.

yes - I am very supportive of business people who have proven themselves in the private industry to lead us to success. No question about it. No I'm not sarcastic. Private industry is as challenging as it gets. These guys are great at what they do and I want them to channel those skills and help this country be the best it can be. I'm in the private industry as well so I'm speaking from first hand knowledge.

Just b/c someone is very wealthy doesn't make them evil. B/c money is no incentive for these guys means they are doing it to be successful which is what makes them work hard. If they're successful, America is successful. Why would you not want this?

Arkeband

Banned
I have been very supportive of Trumps picks as I love injecting proven business folks who have no money incentive to do harm HOWEVER this is a terrible pick. Rick perry is borderline incompetent. Well I guess you can't have it all.

"no money incentive to do harm"

I think you're having a Rick Perry moment and you mean to say "Conflict of Interest" which is present in virtually every one of his picks. Are you even fucking paying attention? He hired a guy who has pending lawsuits against the EPA to lead the EPA for fuck's sake!

yes - I am very supportive of business people who have proven themselves in the private industry to lead us to success. No question about it. No I'm not sarcastic. Private industry is as challenging as it gets. These guys are great at what they do and I want them to channel those skills and help this country be the best it can be. I'm in the private industry as well so I'm speaking from first hand knowledge.

Just b/c someone is very wealthy doesn't make them evil. B/c money is no incentive for these guys means they are doing it to be successful which is what makes them work hard. If they're successful, America is successful. Why would you not want this?

Because I pay attention to history.

Can you give an example of a pick that you like and why?

I'd be willing to guess many people in here are also in the private sector with "first hand knowledge."

hawk2025

I don't think flipping burgers counts as first hand knowledge.

I have been very supportive of Trumps picks as I love injecting proven business folks who have no money incentive to do harm HOWEVER this is a terrible pick. Rick perry is borderline incompetent. Well I guess you can't have it all.

That's the point? He's meant to slow the department to a crawl Ron Swanson style.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

History shows this never works.

Blader

Their success is not America's success. I gain nothing from Exxon Mobil extracting millions of dollars in oil from Russian lands that would be made possible by a pro-Putin Exxon CEO turned secretary of state easing sanctions off of Russia that were imposed in the first place for annexing Crimea.

Trump's choices for labor and treasury secretaries are the same. These are guys who build personal success off of other people's misfortune, and will now oversee policies that do this on a national scale. When Andrew Puzder wants to automate all fast food jobs and eliminate the minimum wage, how exactly is that to the benefit of American workers?

Delt31

cmon now no reason to get nasty about it plus it's disrespectful for people working hard doing that.

Again - not a fan of Rick b/c i truly think he's not smart but if we bring in the business dream team like Trump is doing and still not turn this ship around, I would be surprised. I think we're headed for better times. Don't believe me, check the market.

It's just a farce at this point. Trump is pulling from the list of names he remembers from the primary.

At this rate, will there be anyone from that first crowded primary stage that won't get a Trump job?

Jeb: ";_;"

Barzul

cmon now no reason to get nasty about it. Again - not a fan of Rick b/c i truly think he's not smart but if we bring in the business dream team like Trump is doing and still not turn this ship around, I would be surprised. I think we're headed for better times. Don't believe me, check the market.

The market? Trump's not president yet.

Maxim726X

How about, I don't know... Putting someone in power who understands the fucking industry and science behind it?

Would you go to a plumber to diagnose heart disease?

Not just with this pick, but with almost every single position he's filled.

This is completely unnecessary- We finally have someone who doesn't get involved in the liberal circle jerk and this is how you treat him/her?

Let them defend their position.

cmon now no reason to get nasty about it. Again - not a fan of Rick b/c i truly think he's not smart but if we bring in the business dream team like Trump is doing and still not turn this ship around, I would be surprised. I think we're headed for better times. Don't believe me, check the market.

Turn this ship around? But we've had economic growth month after month. If they turn it around then we'd be back in a recession.

I have been very supportive of Trumps picks as I love injecting proven business folks who have no money incentive to do harm

You mean like appointing a man to a position, where the company he is currently CEO of have had business interests actively harmed by policies put in place by his predecessor.

You cannot see the massive flaw in your argument?

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

You and Trump can't claim the market success just yet. He's not president yet.

Dierce

And this does not seem like corruption to you? Appoiting the least qualified individuals to posts that require standing up for American interests as a whole, including the welfare of its citizens.

You must be very confused if you believe that a company Exxon gives a damn about human welfare.

On that very matter trump is not a successful businessman. He is a conman who has conned millions not because he is good at it, but because there are millions of racist idiots who would have voted for a pile of turd instead. And I dont see any difference between a pile of turd and donald fucking trump.

43N12iQ.gif

It's like being in a perpetual state of this gif.

Great post.

Might have preferred this guy:

112753.jpg

Great post 2. haha

I damn near spit my coffee all over my monitor when I got to the bolded. Careful where you're slinging them hot takes, breh.

Paganmoon

The man graduated summa cum laude in physics and holds a PhD in theoretical physics from Stanford. We can't let those kinds of people run the Department of Energy!

isn't this basically Trump making sure he's not the only incompetent person in governmental office?

Flui111

Banned
Everytime a trump supporter on here is called out, why do they always say they love liberal gaf like we're the ones not seeing their point.

Maxim726X

Everytime a trump supporter on here is called out, why do they always say they love liberal gaf like we're the ones not seeing their point.

Because maybe we're not?

Again, do you actually want dissenting discussion or a circle jerk?

Let him/her defend their position.

Moofers

Are you fucking kidding me? MONEY IS THE ONLY INCENTIVE. These guys see wealth accumulation as a game to be won. No matter how much money they have, they will always want more. Always. That's why they try to fucking deregulate everything. They don't remove regulations for your health and protection, THEY DO IT TO FUCKING MAKE MONEY. MONEY.

People like you had better watch closely for the next four years. I want you to see everything that your perfect free market plan does to us. No voting for Trump and then checking out, got it? You better read the news every fucking day so one day you understand why so many of us are screaming at the top of our lungs right now.

hawk2025

How about, I don't know... Putting someone in power who understands the fucking industry and science behind it?

Would you go to a plumber to diagnose heart disease?

Not just with this pick, but with almost every single position he's filled.

This is completely unnecessary- We finally have someone who doesn't get involved in the liberal circle jerk and this is how you treat him/her?

Let them defend their position.

He is free to defend his position.

I am free to be... flippant towards it when no defense was actually provided. "I work in the private sector" is not a defense worthy of a serious reply.

Maxim726X

He is free to defend his position.

I am free to be... flippant towards it when no defense was actually provided. "I work in the private sector" is not a defense worthy of a serious reply.

And suggesting that their opinion doesn't matter because they flip burgers should be interpreted in what way, exactly?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Sounds like an appointment meant to trim the fat out of the department.

I just hope it's trimmed appropriately and doesn't impede the nation's pursuit of renewable energy.

TylerD

Put conservatives in power -> deregulation -> short term success and gains -> ruin for the 99% -> OH! investment opportunities for the 1%, goody! -> put liberals into power -> regulation -> slower more responsible recovery -> Things are getting better! -> Put conservatives in power -> deregulation -> short term success and gains -> ruin for the 99% -> OH! investment opportunities for the 1%, goody! -> put liberals into power -> regulation -> slower more responsible recovery -> Put conservatives in power -> deregulation -> short term success and gains -> ruin for the 99% -> OH! investment opportunities for the 1%, goody! -> put liberals into power -> regulation -> slower more responsible recovery -> Put conservatives in power -> deregulation -> short term success and gains -> ruin for the 99% -> OH! investment opportunities for the 1%, goody! -> put liberals into power -> regulation -> slower more responsible recovery...

and so on.

hawk2025

And suggesting that their opinion doesn't matter because they flip burgers should be interpreted in what way, exactly?

His opinion doesn't matter because it's wrong. I am not interested in relativizing it.

Your constant both-sidesism is pointless. Move along to the next mark.

Maxim726X

I just hope it's trimmed appropriately and doesn't impede the nation's pursuit of renewable energy.

See, I don't think people really understand what the Department of Energy actually does.

You do know that they're in charge of maintaining our nuclear arsenal, right? That's kinda important.

Perry has explicitly said he wants to get rid of the department and the EPA is going to be led by a man that currently has a pending lawsuit against it.

Zaph

Not sure if it was posted yet, but Trump's team sent a nasty questionnaire to the DoE already, and they're refusing to comply with some of it:

[Verge] Energy Department officials won’t give names of climate workers to Trump’s team
Some of the questions, however, also asked for “a list of all Department of Energy employees or contractors” who have attended United Nations climate meetings, as well as meetings on the “social cost of carbon” — a way of estimating the economic damages associated with greenhouse gas emissions.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
See, I don't think people really understand what the Department of Energy actually does.

You do know that they're in charge of maintaining our nuclear arsenal, right? That's kinda important.

How narrow sighted.
They also have responsibilities in energy conservation, energy related research, and domestic energy production.

Hell they even direct research in human genomics as the human genome project was originally a department of energy initiative.

Allforce

This is frightening because most Americans will see this news and go "eh, whatever, he's in charge of the electrical grid and coal plants now". When the DOE is basically at the forefront of some of our most top secret technology research and has been for decades,

I mean it says in the article they're in charge of maintaining and supporting our nuclear arsenal, this isn't some agency that just manages inventory, they're the geniuses designing this stuff.

Maxim726X

How narrow sighted.
They also have responsibilities in energy conservation, energy related research, and domestic energy production.

Hell they even direct research in human genomics as the human genome project was originally a department of energy initiative.

Yeah... I know what they do. Hence my question- What 'fat' do you think you can trim here? They're not a huge part of the budget as it is.

digdug2k

Heh. This job is currently held by a nuclear physicist. We're replacing him with Rick Perry. My mind just can't even grok that, and I know some really dumb nuclear physicists. Strike that: I know some dumb physicists, but I can't actually think of anyone in nuclear who I've met who's an idiot.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Yeah... I know what they do. Hence my question- What 'fat' do you think you can trim here? They're not a huge part of the budget as it is.

It's a federal agency. There is fat to trim.
Just because it isn't the fattiest of fat doesn't mean it shouldn't be trimmed.

The federal government needs to be a good steward of our tax dollars.

Maxim726X

So, the usual non-specific 'cut the fat' argument.

And what of the fact that the agency has been quite happy with an academic in charge? Why would you rather put an oil business owner who is daft, to put it lightly?

???

That's exactly what a Trump administration wants. Look at his fucking SoS pick - rich oil executive. Wants to being coal jobs back. Denies climate change, Etc.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
So, the usual non-specific 'cut the fat' argument.

And what of the fact that the agency has been quite happy with an academic in charge? Why would you rather put an oil business owner who is daft, to put it lightly?

I don't work for the department of energy so I don't have specifics. That doesn't mean I can't be glad to see an appointment that will review and adjust the budgets in alignment to how private industry operates.

Not saying the new appointment will be perfect and the department will improve in every way. But my opinion of this appointment remains cautiously positive.

Dierce

???

That's exactly what a Trump administration wants.

And they say we should listen to what trump supporters and alt right idiots have to say. They don't live in the same reality we do and there is no argument worth making to dispel their lies because they refuse to see the truth.

dramatis

Hey, you still haven't answered me about how the Goldman Sachs and rich people cabinet Trump is building is great.

I'm sure you find it very comforting right now that your tax dollars will be sliding into the pockets of the evermore rich.

Neoweee

Our national labs and all government funded research are basically fucked. Cancer research, etc., aren't "fat".

Name names. Which national labs do you want to close?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom