• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer Vita DLC Detailed

Do people still think the existence of DLC is a good idea?

Of course. Computers are used to steal identities. Do people still think the existence of computers is a good idea? ZOMG!

This is a terrible way of utilizing DLC.

Mass Effect
Red Dead
GTA IV
CrackDown
Forza
GT5

And the list really goes on and on are all good examples.

hahahaha DLC announced before the damn platform launches

this is too funny

Seriously right? So screwed up.

I can see the headlines for the companies that just don't get it in the future:

"New IP Announced with DLC plans incoming!"
"What game?"
"6 DLC Packs all with multiple ______"
"What game?"
"Available with a Season Pass"
"What game?"
"And an online pass included in all new purchases"
"What game?"
" ... we haven't made it yet, but you can buy the Season Pass on PSN and XBL right now"

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
What the fuck? Have they even detailed the game yet?

Well anyway, I'm a sucker for RR's music... RR7's in particular. If this game actually ends up being any good, I'll probably buy all this shit.

So yeah, I'm part of the problem.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Man, there's some bad American companies when it comes to dlc, but the top 5 offenders are probably ALL Japanese companies. Capcom and Bandai alone could take up 5 slots

So, we've got the scamco angle nailed. Here's the Nick Rox (Warning! A Huge Podcast) tweets for anyone who didn't read page 1:

@NickRoxNRX said:
@ferricide @DCharlieJP @cormacaroni @wario64 It should be noted all cars+tracks from previous games will be free DLC.

@NickRoxNRX said:
@ferricide @DCharlieJP @cormacaroni @wario64 Also the rumor of three tracks came from demo kiosks. Namco swears there are more in retail ver

Will be interesting to see what the final result is. Oh, Namco PR is doing their part:

Namco PR said:
(crickets)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
@ferricide @DCharlieJP @cormacaroni @wario64 Also the rumor of three tracks came from demo kiosks. Namco swears there are more in retail ver
See, that's what I was thinking. In the original Japanese article, they specifically mentioned that there were just three tracks in the TRIAL VERSION. There was nothing in the article suggesting that the retail game card would include ONLY those tracks.

8 months of development and no PR all point toward bad management on Namco's part. The should have had target specs from Sony (it's NAMCO, you know they did), and they didn't think to start development before 8 months ago? After having a launch Ridge Racer with every Sony hardware launch?

So, we've got the scamco angle nailed. Here's the Nick Rox (Warning! A Huge Podcast) tweets for anyone who didn't read page 1:

Will be interesting to see what the final result is. Oh, Namco PR is doing their part:

So they're just dumping the game 3 months before it's ready? How is that any better?

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Let me get this straight:

Bamco is selling you a game with a highly discounted price, but with very few features. Most of those features are sold through DLC. If you are a normal customer, you'll want the base game+the DLC and you'll end up paying the price of an average game.

I don't think this is a measure to scam customers, I think they are trying to attack used game sales; basically, if you sell the game, you'll get very little money, and the second hand buyer will still need to pay BAMCO for the full game.

Still a shitty plan IMO, but it will be interesting how it works for them.

Let me get this straight:

Bamco is selling you a game with a highly discounted price, but with very few features. Most of those features are sold through DLC. If you are a normal customer, you'll want the base game+the DLC and you'll end up paying the price of an average game.

I don't think this is a measure to scam customers, I think they are trying to attack used game sales; basically, if you sell the game, you'll get very little money, and the second hand buyer will still need to pay BAMCO for the full game.

Still a shitty plan IMO, but it will be interesting how it works for them.

you're reminding me of rock band unpluggued (LITE version ) with just the base minimum and teh rest must be bought by dlc ..

It didn't work ...

A small game with huge dlc is dommed to fail .. For dlc to work there must be an experience good enough for players to want more afterwards.Not grabbing the player attention long enough and your player will go toward another game ...

See, that's what I was thinking. In the original Japanese article, they specifically mentioned that there were just three tracks in the TRIAL VERSION. There was nothing in the article suggesting that the retail game card would include ONLY those tracks.

They won't listen. It's easier to follow the current and shit on an unreleased game.

SkylineRKR

There were articles that flat out claimed that the full game would have just 3 tracks as well. That with the reduced price and DLC plans + we're dealing with Scamco made it kind of plausible to me.

And even with these tweets, the whole thing is still very unclear.

The Famitsu and Impress articles both state that the three track (six with reversals included) and five car thing are from the final version of the game.

UberTag

Companies are in for a rude awakening if they think stripped down games with exorbitant DLC is going to fly on a new platform already priced to fail.

muu

In the original Japanese article, they specifically say that's how many are in the demo AND also that it's how many are in the final release. One or the other I believe tries to put a positive spin on it by mentioning it's 6 if you count tracks going in reverse.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I hear you'll be also able to drive all the courses in zig-zag.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
In the original Japanese article, they specifically say that's how many are in the demo AND also that it's how many are in the final release. One or the other I believe tries to put a positive spin on it by mentioning it's 6 if you count tracks going in reverse.

Quote the text for me. I'm curious now.

muu

Quote the text for me. I'm curious now.

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20111123_493144.html

Impress said:
 また、本作のコースはリバース(逆走)も含めて6コース。今回の体験版では、「Harborline 765」、「Highland Cliffs」、「Southbay Docks」の3コースがプレイできた。いずれも過去シリーズに登場したコースであり、レイアウトも変わっていなかったように感じられたが、有機ELで見る風景はちょっと違っていたし、マシンモデル、エフェクトの類も過去タイトルからは違って見えたのは確かだ。ちなみにマシンは5台が用意されているという。体験版でのBGMは2曲、そしてランダムとBGMなしが選択できた。今までのシリーズからすると、単純に数でボリュームを見ると「あれ?」と思う方も多いと思われる(製品版でのBGM数は未確認)。

"Counting the reverse courses, 6 courses are included in the game."

Top Bottom