• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer (Vita) |OT| The Death of a Once Great Franchise

Hmm.

Redeemed my Gold Pass code, but only one track (Old Central) and 2 cars (Assoluto Promessa and Age Elenie) are available, along with some BGM. Are we still waiting for the rest to be added to PSN? The PSN listing for the Gold Pass does say "content through to March 31st" to be fair so I assume the rest will come this and next Wednesday, but just wondering.

I've been wondering the same thing since buying the game. I have yet to see an explanation offered. Those extra pieces had better arrive before the end of the month.

Bumhead

Banned
So I played this for around an hour last night.

Seems pretty OK so far to me. I like the feeling of constant connection. I'm too rubbish to contribute significantly to the world team rankings yet, but the way the game constantly tracks your progress and updates it with the rest of the world is good.

Had a couple of races online but im terrible. On a couple of occassions the dude out infront finished as much as 30+ seconds ahead, and I've no idea how he built up such a lead. Is that down to him having better upgrades and cars? I've had more success against the AI on spot races but im struggling online.

The game generally seems pretty fun to me. The racing is nice and smooth and if your expectations are adjusted to fit around some of the games quirks and cut content, I think its fairly enjoyable for a budget price.

Wonko_C

Played against a group of LV10 Japanese/US/Chinese players earlier today, man is my Flex Nitrous/Ultimate Focus combo brutal, I was winning races left to right by a noticeable margin and I don't consider myself that good yet. Now on LV11, 5 more levels to go. :)

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I went from Level 9 to 14 tonight. I posted so many points to my team, I got interviewed by a reporter. Downloaded the latest Gold Pass car and fell in love. This game has me.

Bumhead

Banned
Still find it strange how they're staggering the Gold Pass content.

Have to admit, this game hasn't left my Vita since I bought it. As an online racing game, its really satisfying. The game is packed with minor flaws and irritations (as well as the content issues) but once you're out on the track and get engrossed in the online team stuff, its a damn fun game.

If they patched in or added custom single play tournaments, so you could organise your own four race competetions against the AI, id be really happy with the game right now. I do enjoy racing the AI but only having 1 race at a time is annoying.

eggybob

Unconfirmed Member
The Devils gift has gone live, thats one of the secret trophies. Also I found a new track and 2 new cars and 2 music packs in the store today (UK).

Tiduz

Eurogaime
The Devils gift has gone live, thats one of the secret trophies. Also I found a new track and 2 new cars and 2 music packs in the store today (UK).

DEVIL (CRINALE) IS IN NOW? WHAT!?

(thats the trophy for beaten the legendary devil car right?

eggybob

Unconfirmed Member
DEVIL (CRINALE) IS IN NOW? WHAT!?

(thats the trophy for beaten the legendary devil car right?

You race someone who's in the Crinale car and then you get a menu change and duel mode unlocked. Still don't know how to unlock the car though as I've beaten it in duel unless you need to win on all three tracks.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
You race someone who's in the Crinale car and then you get a menu change and duel mode unlocked. Still don't know how to unlock the car though as I've beaten it in duel unless you need to win on all three tracks.

iirc rr 3ds and ridge racers 2 had you beat them in 2 or 3 stages to get it, i hope its unlockable cause i love crinale :D

did u get it with spot race or online?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson

Crap. I beat two people last night with this car.

eggybob

Unconfirmed Member
iirc rr 3ds and ridge racers 2 had you beat them in 2 or 3 stages to get it, i hope its unlockable cause i love crinale :D

did u get it with spot race or online?

Online, the car was listed as ???? when the race was loading.

Jonnyram

Don't know if you can actually own the car. There is also an Archangel car you can duel against, but I don't know about this either. Apparently when you race against someone who has been "demonized" your menu changes, and you get the Duel option. Once you've got this, if you race online again, you unlock a trophy for gifting it to someone else.

Bumhead

Banned
Not sure if anyone is interested, but I wrote a review of the game earlier.

It's a tough game to review, because for what it does well (i.e, the ghost races and online integration) it's really fun to play, and I'm investing alot of time into it. That said, there are so many things about the whole experience which are either just annoying or totally broken. I honestly don't think I could ever straight up recommend the game to someone else without making sure they're aware of the MANY caveats first.

http://bnbgaming.com/2012/03/22/review-ridge-racer-vita/

"It’s a very similar system to the PlayStation 3 online shooter MAG, where the sense of teamwork and contribution to a much larger goal is the primary aim of the experience. Generally, this emphasis on a living online environment works well, but how much you get out of it will depend on how much you want to put in. With offline events restricted to one off races in Spot Race mode, your enjoyment of Ridge Racer will depend almost entirely on your participation in online races, ghost battles and time trials. If you’re a WiFi-only Vita owner without regular access to a wireless connection, or are only interested in racing against AI opponents, Ridge Racer stops dead in its tracks as an experience."

Excited to read a little about the devil's gift guys, thanks for the info.

I just came in to post that I just found out you can change the announcer (DJ) voice in the options, from male to female. I actually like the male voice a lot, I think he did a great job compared to announcers in other games. But it is nice to have another little change in the game :)

edit: omg just raced someone with the car and unlocked duel mode. I felt a rush of ridge racer of old when...
the crinale stopped right in front of the finish line just to rub in his victory even harder

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Not sure if anyone is interested, but I wrote a review of the game earlier.

It's a tough game to review, because for what it does well (i.e, the ghost races and online integration) it's really fun to play, and I'm investing alot of time into it. That said, there are so many things about the whole experience which are either just annoying or totally broken. I honestly don't think I could ever straight up recommend the game to someone else without making sure they're aware of the MANY caveats first.

See I could recommend it for the import UK price ($30NZD), but not the local New Zealand price ($69,95NZD), for where I live. I imported it and didn't have a problem with it. In my eyes it was no different to purchasing an expensive XBLA/PSN game.

I always take into account the price as it plays a massive factor in recommendations.

Sh0k

I've already unlock both cars, you have to win all three tracks in order to unlock the Crinale. After that it unlocks the duel against the Archangel car and you also have to beat it on all three tracks to get the car.

When you beat both cars in all three tracks, you get the cars, an option to turn into devil mode under the options menu and a couple of trophies.

OmegaZero

Well, I caved and bought this.
I've gone over all the drawbacks a hundred times in my head, but the rest of my brain keeps screaming "it's Ridge Racer!"

So yeah, pretty sure I won't be regretting this.

CLEEK

I can't see how you'll regret it. I know I didn't, despite my initial reservations.

I had no intention of buying, due to a combination of horror at the DLC price gouging and the reports of <30fps frame rates.

But it has become my favourite Vita game, in spite of its reduced feature set. The core game is wonderful as ever, and while the graphics vary in quality from track to track, when it's pretty, it's a very nice looking game. The sound design is awesome and online integration works well. The 1.01 patch fixed the frame rate issues of the Japanese game.

As long as you go into it with your eye open about its many flaws (and it does have flaws around progression and levelling up seriously fucking with online racings and time trials), you will be suitably impressed.

I can't see how you'll regret it. I know I didn't, despite my initial reservations.

I had no intention of buying, due to a combination of horror at the DLC price gouging and the reports of <30fps frame rates.

But it has become my favourite Vita game, in spite of its reduced feature set. The core game is wonderful as ever, and while the graphics vary in quality from track to track, when it's pretty, it's a very nice looking game. The sound design is awesome and online integration works well. The 1.01 patch fixed the frame rate issues of the Japanese game.

As long as you go into it with your eye open about its many flaws (and it does have flaws around progression and levelling up seriously fucking with online racings and time trials), you will be suitably impressed.

Seconded. Although there really needs to be a non-level restricted online module. That's the big kicker, as I want to race with my old racing buddy, but if either of us wants to do a head-to-head race, we need to worry about where we are, level-wise.

Bit horrible. Don't award us points in that mode, if it has to be that way...just let me set up a friends lobby and don't split it up via levels.

Otherwise, fantastic game.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Can we get a title change?

"Ridge Racer (Vita) |OT| And on the third play, it rose again"

Jonnyram

Can you get Crinale from ghost data in World Race, or just online races?
Still, it seems to be getting about a bit now, so shouldn't be too hard to find.

SmokyDave

Totally digging this game. I have no issues with the structure at all and I honestly feel that for £16.99, the content available is satisfactory. Not great, but not sparse enough that I feel ripped off.

I kinda wish I'd jumped on it sooner now, my team needs me!

Totally digging this game. I have no issues with the structure at all and I honestly feel that for £16.99, the content available is satisfactory. Not great, but not sparse enough that I feel ripped off.

Keep checking that Team Vision news feed, Dave. Getting to be one of the daily VIP members through it nets you a good batch of points.

Love this game.

EDIT: Wrong thread for it, but you reckon you'll pick up Rugby Challenge when Sidhe releases it for Vita? Pretty keen on that one, one of my most anticipated.

SmokyDave

Keep checking that Team Vision news feed, Dave. Getting to be one of the daily VIP members through it nets you a good batch of points.

Love this game.

EDIT: Wrong thread for it, but you reckon you'll pick up Rugby Challenge when Sidhe releases it for Vita? Pretty keen on that one, one of my most anticipated.

Ah, is that why I was made VIP for a day?!

I was going to say, it can't have been based on my performance so far. Still, I'm going to be putting in the practice a lot because I'm really enjoying myself. Using the Elenie as it's the only 4WD car in the line-up.

(Probably won't be getting Rugby on the Vita, I'm not big on portable sports games that aren't Everybody's Golf. Will look out for it though).

Fuck. Now I'm getting tempted for this again. The complaints/compliments are all over the place. For $24.99 the content doesn't seem too bad... or is that what SCAMCO wants me to think?

KaidoRacer7

Fuck. Now I'm getting tempted for this again. The complaints/compliments are all over the place. For $24.99 the content doesn't seem too bad... or is that what SCAMCO wants me to think?

It depends... If you're a RR fan, I think its worth it. If you're just looking for a racing game, the package doesn't offer much options.

melman101

Well, after waffling back and forth, and deciding whether or not to get this game, I finally decided I would. I find I am absolutely having a great time playing it, and for me it's definitely worth $25 dollars (only made better with the free Gold Pass till April 30th). I think that helped solidify the value for me. After playing Ridge Racer 3DS, and playing this one, even though the RR3DS has a dedicated single player campaign, I've already played the Vita one more. I absolutely love the controls and visuals.

Great purchase for me. Glad I decided to grab it.

yyr

It seems to me that the best/fastest way to get spec/rank upgrades is like this:

- go to Ghost Battle
- find the highest-ranked ghost you can defeat
- defeat it several times
- rank up, then find a new ghost and repeat

Is there something I'm missing or does this seem right?

Also, is there any way to check the current machine spec rank? Skill rank is displayed everywhere, but I don't see the spec rank anywhere. And...anybody know the maximum on that?

I still wish that machine class was selectable or that stock machines were available, for online races between players of different ranks.

robox

Well, after waffling back and forth, and deciding whether or not to get this game, I finally decided I would. I find I am absolutely having a great time playing it, and for me it's definitely worth $25 dollars (only made better with the free Gold Pass till April 30th). I think that helped solidify the value for me. After playing Ridge Racer 3DS, and playing this one, even though the RR3DS has a dedicated single player campaign, I've already played the Vita one more. I absolutely love the controls and visuals.

Great purchase for me. Glad I decided to grab it.
i'm wafflin' too, but not over the 25 bucks. i'd have picked it up already. it's the 250 for the vita to go with that i'm not quite sold on yet...

Was wondering how long it was going to take you to crumble. I'm happy enough with the game that I got for the money, the structure actually works well for a portable racer imo.

mangaroo

Banned
So I read there were like 2 free audio tracks with the gold pass...they are all free for me :S 65 tracks or so now! Picked it up as I got a discount code with the shinobido 2 and glad I did, it's a decent rr title especially with the gold pass tracks. Played it more than shinobido. Reverse add a decent challenge and the maps are enough for now, would like more in the future of course. Enough music tracks to last me three ridge racer titles.

One thing, I read the manual and tried searching...but is there any way to save the online ghost you want to race against? It seems I have to redownload a ghost to race against each time, otherwise it is just the "OG" ghost...which is either really challenging, or really bad :S

Also the framerate seems like 60fps to me, was all this 30fps talk pre-update? ... maybe I just can't tell but looks pretty smooth anyway. Can tell with wipeout...and modnation and usually other games.

Ah, is that why I was made VIP for a day?!

I was going to say, it can't have been based on my performance so far. Still, I'm going to be putting in the practice a lot because I'm really enjoying myself. Using the Elenie as it's the only 4WD car in the line-up.

(Probably won't be getting Rugby on the Vita, I'm not big on portable sports games that aren't Everybody's Golf. Will look out for it though).

Yeah, I really like the team aspect...checking in to see the order of the day. It might be one of the most well-camouflaged acts of superfluousness, but damn if it doesn't make me feel part of a racing crew. Trianchor, friends!

I've landed VIP a couple of times now, and the feeling of throwing those complimentary points down into the research grid is gratifying, to say the least.

mangaroo

Banned
So guys, talk about ridge racer some more. Do you really not have more default ghosts to race against, or change ai difficulty? Surely you can save the ghosts you downloaded for the one on ones....? I'm literally baffled about these choices which are the main issues really, not their marketing strategy. Useless reviews. Anyway still recommended it to a friend who used to be a ridge racer fan since i still enjoy it despite its tardyness.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I don't think there are any default ghosts to race against. You can download ones from the Ridge Racer World and keep them on your Vita to race against.

mangaroo

Banned
Ah Thanks! I didn't know that was an option, let me just google this Ridge Racer World thing. I assume some content manager is going to be required but worth it.

Worth a shot - is there a way to make the spot (offline) races more challenging?

Edit: What's this ridge racer world? Is it in the game? It doesn't let me save the ghosts at all...I couldn't find a way at least, searched all over the game too.

=/

Might have to go around asking people for save files to transfer or some sort of replay collections up for grabs...would be cool. Really doubt there are locks on the ghost file saves.

yyr

Yes, there are default ghosts. That's what "0G Ghosts" means. They're selected by default when you enter Ghost Battle... you actually need to touch a button to NOT race against the default ghosts. When someone races a 0G ghost and uploads the data, it becomes a 1G ghost... when someone beats that and uploads the data, it's a 2G ghost, and so on.

There doesn't appear to be any way to save ghost data that I know of...you just download it, race it, upload if desired and if you win... and then you start all over. I don't think it's a question of locks on ghost file saves...I'm thinking that there aren't ghost files saved at all (except for your own that can be saved manually).

I don't think there are options for AI difficulty, etc. Then again, there really isn't much reason to race the AI. Compared to online races and ghost battle, Spot Races are pretty boring IMO...it's pretty much the equivalent of the Arcade mode in RR PSP/6/7, which is to say...it's pointless.

The framerate is most definitely 30, at most, not 60. I wish it was 60.

My feelings on the whole team system...

I wish there were weekly team rankings, and that the CR you get for free each day would be based on those. It would give me more incentive to actually give a crap about the whole team business. As it is, tens of thousands of points separate the teams, and I feel like the 5-10 VP points I typically earn per day aren't going to make much of a difference.

It really seems like these companies don't take pages out of each others' books. DJMAX Technika 2 did well with the whole Crew Race system and Technika 3 refined it further. Every game played adds EXP to whatever Crew the player is a member of... if the Crew makes the top 90 for the week, they are ranked, and every member of that Crew earns bonus Max Points in a particular game mode for the entire following week (plus a substantial free bonus before the first game played that week). There are overall lifetime rankings too, but they don't have any bearing on bonuses...only the weekly ranking does. Something like that in RR would have made it feel a lot more motivating and competitive, versus this whole "2 points if you race against these teams, 1 point otherwise, and these rankings will never change" thing.

The other day, I booted up RR and it acted like I was starting for the first time...it asked me to select a team all over again. I freaked out, powered off, powered on again, started RR a second time and all was well. But I noticed something when the "select a team" screen had come up: it was offering me a 100 CR signing bonus for the Trianchor team. Yeah, the team that's in first by a few miles. Why is the game not offering signing bonuses for the 4th-place Squaris GP? Is there no balancing going on here?

Also, I'm spotlight VIP for the fourth day running. This hardly seems random, heh.

Jonnyram

I had the same trouble with the team thing this weekend. Maybe it was a small server issue.
And yeah, I totally think the team thing is weak. Would have preferred something like Chromehounds where you have standings on a single course, maybe, and you can see points moving in realtime when you end a race, so you could keep going after a team. And actually having some kind of benefit from being in first place would be a start - like cheaper stuff in the shop, or more GP, customisation options, etc. They just slapped it on without really thinking about it.

mangaroo

Banned
Thanks for confirming yyr. It sucks that you cannot save the ghosts although I really like the 1st gen, 2nd gen and onwards concept and have uploaded a few ghosts on the tracks. Have to say I'm not entirely sure how the team system works but it seems decent on the surface, extra vp points...silly competition that I don't even know what it is referring to, yet it shows up on every load screen. Does it count team points with ghosts replays beat .... or just online races?

I was asking about the offline mode as I mostly play the vita on the underground where there is no internet signal and for that, ridge racer has to be one of the shittest games in terms of easily fixable but still lacking offline play.

Spot races are too easy, default 0G ghosts don't even match your damn car specs!! lazy namco, make some more interesting replays for me to play against while I'm offline at least.

If you plan to pick up ridge racer for the tube or other offline play mostly, don't bother. If you will be connected online, and you are a fan of ridge racer games, then obviously its highly recommended......just annoying for me.

I also got a VIP daily from the team mode...I blew so much of the 1000CR winnings unlocking the middle nitrous end option. I don't want to spoil it but don't bother, go for the alternate routes despite what the tip says. You unlock like 4 or 5 empty blocks before you get to it too :/

[ Btw I still doubt that my version is running at 30fps. I know what 30fps is like although true it is harder to tell when it is smooth... I can just tell this is so much faster, just from the way signs and road paint transitions move smoothly on my screen.
I may be wrong, just really confused why I am seeing ridge racer like this but can usually tell another games framerate without even opening fraps since I've been using it so long. Not sure..EU/NA variation...can't be surely something this huge. Not sure don't think I can prove it really, but even my friend who is pretty good at spotting fps thought the same. Sort of want to just pick up ridge racer for PSP again on vita to see the difference. It is light and day with 2048 and Pure, but it was easy to spot 2048's framerate even in solo mode. ] <--anyway

Currently trying to do the 50 face to face races trophy. I am really upset at this process for a few reasons.

1. There is no way for the host to change track in the lobby. Really?
2. The only pseudo way to change tracks would be to set it to random 3. At first I thought it meant 3 random races, but it really means a random choice of the original 3 courses. Really? 3 courses hard coded into the random selection, they didn't think we'd want dlc courses as part of the shuffle?
3. They arbitrarily decided that the host should get 20 bonus credits after each race. So my friend and I have been alternating who's hosting every few races.

Not to mention the obvious one of having different grade cars. I've been handicapping myself by not using nitrous, but it's still not enough.

mangaroo

Banned
Do you think we'll see some of these issues addressed? TBH I don't remember downloading many patches for previous RR titles but they were pretty...well-thought out

You know, the more I think of it, the less I expect there to be many changes. Even assuming Sony/Namco/Cellius are directly reading this topic, it still has to get back to the Japanese devs. Maybe some minor things will be fixed, tracks can be added forever, but in don't see us getting a single player mode, they would have to change all the trophies and the upgrade map. I am hopefully that if the do make a second vita game that we can get something like the gold pass to give us a discount. Not holding my breath on that one though.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Bought into the lte hype and grabbed the game on PSN or some £16. Sweet spot price really, bought it so I can always have it installed. If Lumines was the same price I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Muddy graphics aside, game seems fun and gameplay system is innovative, controls are much more pleasing than PSP. Love the cheesy 'slide through the curve' track.

Can't wrap my head around what to do though. Spot race is the only familiar concept, but it seems like not the intended way to play.

Could someone explain the intended game loop that I am meant to play if I have, say, two hours to kill?

mangaroo

Banned
You know, the more I think of it, the less I expect there to be many changes. Even assuming Sony/Namco/Cellius are directly reading this topic, it still has to get back to the Japanese devs. Maybe some minor things will be fixed, tracks can be added forever, but in don't see us getting a single player mode, they would have to change all the trophies and the upgrade map. I am hopefully that if the do make a second vita game that we can get something like the gold pass to give us a discount. Not holding my breath on that one though.

At least it should be a decent while before the second ridge racer is announced if we don't see any changes. Think I will get enough from this one until then. I'd expect at least a year, but who knows..

Bought into the lte hype and grabbed the game on PSN or some £16. Sweet spot price really, bought it so I can always have it installed. If Lumines was the same price I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Muddy graphics aside, game seems fun and gameplay system is innovative, controls are much more pleasing than PSP. Love the cheesy 'slide through the curve' track.

Can't wrap my head around what to do though. Spot race is the only familiar concept, but it seems like not the intended way to play.

Could someone explain the intended game loop that I am meant to play if I have, say, two hours to kill?

From what I can tell:

Offline: Play spot races which aren't very challenging, or time trials with your own saved ghosts from previous laps. You can race a default ghost but it is only at the stock speed so pretty soon your car will have a serious advantage over it - best to save ghosts of your best laps if you play it often without internet access.

Online: Online races and laptime challenges using other players' ghosts. <-- can unlock a devil mode which is quite cool and lets you unlock 2 more cars.

Use CR to get decent unlocks and challenge higher level players to get more points. Also check the team vision thing every now and then for random extra points :)

Jonnyram

Just beat the Crinale and Archangel duels.
Man, those support downloads are a really neat idea.
Interesting how many new ideas Namco has packed into this one, only for it to be critically destroyed due to lack of content.

Top Bottom