• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer (Vita) |OT| The Death of a Once Great Franchise

How is everyone beating the crinale? With support data? How are the support players beating it? They gave me the trophy for maxed out speed and I have the same kits as the support data, but the crinale just breaks out on me. Am I missing something? Do I need to be a higher level? Or do I just suck?

mangaroo

Banned
How is everyone beating the crinale? With support data? How are the support players beating it? They gave me the trophy for maxed out speed and I have the same kits as the support data, but the crinale just breaks out on me. Am I missing something? Do I need to be a higher level? Or do I just suck?

I'm doing the archangel atm, but did the crinale with support. Figure I can try beating him myself later on once I've unlocked some more things. The way I see it they just boost before corners to max drift and keep going.

Lost ruins is out?? Let me check for eu.. Nope.

Wonko_C

Here's how I did it: No support, equipped Ultimate Focus, Flex Nitrous and the 150 Nitrous Refill thing (forgot its name). Just squirt a little nitrous before every turn, then drift so the ultimate charge fills up dramatically, you'll build enough to be able to use a little bit more nitrous each time and still get back a lot. The last lap you'll practically be using nitrous all the time except on the drifts and still have a full bar ready for the last stretch.

Lost Ruin look like shit....low res texture overload.
Understandable, as it was one of the best looking tracks from Ridge Racer 7, with lots of tree textures and foliage. I'm more curious to see how will the next three DLC tracks look, as they're all from Ridge Racer 3DS.

Jonnyram

You're almost certainly gonna be behind most of the first lap, but once you've built up some nitrous, you should be able to take him on the second lap and just keep increasing your lead. Assuming you've got flex nitrous and ultimate charge, that is.

Thanks for the tips guys :)

I didn't think to nitrous into a drift, because I would think I'd prevent myself from charging. But with the flex nitrous and the ultra charge, that makes a ton of sense.

After trying one race, I wasn't really feeling the Lost Ruins, too straight. I hope it grows on me like some of the other have.

whitehawk

Banned
Thanks for the tips guys :)

I didn't think to nitrous into a drift, because I would think I'd prevent myself from charging. But with the flex nitrous and the ultra charge, that makes a ton of sense.

After trying one race, I wasn't really feeling the Lost Ruins, too straight. I hope it grows on me like some of the other have.
Always use the boost type that gives you one boost bar where you can use it at any time. Then you boost right before you drift and you get a lot of extra nitrous. You can basically boost the whole time.

However even with this technique I can't beat dual mode without any support =/ It's really hard.
Understandable, as it was one of the best looking tracks from Ridge Racer 7, with lots of tree textures and foliage. I'm more curious to see how will the next three DLC tracks look, as they're all from Ridge Racer 3DS.
It's not very understandable to me. I can't help but compare everything with Uncharted GA. If UGA can pull of amazing jungle environments, Lost Ruin should at least look half decent. But it doesn't =/

yyr

If Flex Nitrous doesn't end up working for you, you could try what I did: use a support data with +150. Keep up with the Crinale until about two-thirds of the way through the final lap, then hit the Triple Nitrous, blow past him and never look back.

My cars were only class 3 at the time I did this, so doing it without Support wasn't possible...but now that I'm maxed out I might try again just for the heck of it.

Funny thing...I've been playing through RR7 also. Beat the Angelus last night...it was a tough race on Harborline 765 R. Took me over half an hour but finally got it. Crinale will be next, on Seaside Route 765 aka Sunny Beach aka the original RR course. These duels are much harder than the Vita duels, IMO.

After trying one race, I wasn't really feeling the Lost Ruins, too straight.

IMO Lost Ruins is characteristic of the RR7 courses...lots of straights separated by occasional corners, somewhat boring. You may have noticed that Old Central is like this also. RR6's courses were generally way more interesting...fortunately, there were way more RR6 courses (14, 15 if you count Downtown Rave City) than RR7 courses (6). =)

mangaroo

Banned
New track for UK tommorow?

Unfortunately it didn't come which is surprising since it said the gold pass dlc will be available through 30th of March. Not the first time with a namco game - i.e. touch my katamari, which just got the previous dlc levels which were being advertised as available in the live area and was available for weeks on the us store. Nice to finally have them, pacman dlc looks really cool, hope EU doesn't get left out.

Shame about the reports of the new track, still anything would be a welcome addition really - does anyone like it? Hope it makes its way to us next week.

We did get the new music pack (15) for free with the gold pass...sort of begrudgingly download it..sure i'll have more free tracks but it's starting to eat up considerable storage.

ascully

I turn my vita on today to play some Ridge and my savegame is gone for some reason, 30 hours of progress down the pan. anyone else had this happen?

yyr

I turn my vita on today to play some Ridge and my savegame is gone for some reason, 30 hours of progress down the pan. anyone else had this happen?

This happened to golduck342. It almost happened to me but I powered off as soon as I saw the team select screen appear... when I restarted the Vita and the game I had my save back.

Yes, this is an issue and we really ought to contact Namco about it.

Also, going from RR7 to this game really is reminiscent of that feeling from years ago of going from the arcade version of something to a scaled-down home port. The 30fps in particular really adds to this.

I like Lost Ruins, more of a smooth track that supports groups of cars than, say, the RR4 awkward bumpy tracks.

IMO Lost Ruins is characteristic of the RR7 courses...lots of straights separated by occasional corners, somewhat boring. You may have noticed that Old Central is like this also. RR6's courses were generally way more interesting...fortunately, there were way more RR6 courses (14, 15 if you count Downtown Rave City) than RR7 courses (6). =)

Could you explain that? I don't remember RR7 having less courses than RR6...? Wikipedia has it as 15 (6) vs. 22 (7) (and a quick look at Gamefaqs confirms the second number.)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I like Lost Ruins, more of a smooth track that supports groups of cars than, say, the RR4 awkward bumpy tracks.

Could you explain that? I don't remember RR7 having less courses than RR6...? Wikipedia has it as 15 (6) vs. 22 (7) (and a quick look at Gamefaqs confirms the second number.)
RR7 features all of the courses from RR6 in addition to offering 6 new courses (or 7 if you count the remake of Seaside Route 765).

This happened to golduck342. It almost happened to me but I powered off as soon as I saw the team select screen appear... when I restarted the Vita and the game I had my save back.

Also, going from RR7 to this game really is reminiscent of that feeling from years ago of going from the arcade version of something to a scaled-down home port. The 30fps in particular really adds to this.

yes, it did indeed happen to me. I was lucky enough that it happened when I was low level anyway, and getting spotlight VIP so many times in a row has helped me get back much faster.

I have been backing up my save every now and then to my PS3 just in case. Not even daily, just enough so I don't feel like I'd have to start over from 0. I think as yyr said, if this happens to you, turn off your game immediately. When it happened to me, I was so dumbfounded I picked a team and probably overwrote my file. The backup is not too bad, you back up the entire ridge racer app with the save file, dlc, etc.

Other than that though, I've been using the ultimate focues/Flex/drift tips you guys mentioned. It's a really awesome combo, and you literally explode into the lead on the 2nd and 3rd laps. I'm working on getting better at it tho, it's really easy to screw up or get overzealous with expending nitro and not be able to recover.

EDIT: On the tracks... if these are all or mostly from other ridge racer games, why did they run into issues with not having enough tracks? How long does it possibly take to port them?

Leftovers

Neo Member
This definitely my most played Vita game. The Ridge Racer games ever since the PSP entry has had me addicted. If this game had the content of 7 it would be a hot 9. Right now I'm trying to beat the duels, they seemed impossible at first then Ulitimate Charge/Flex combo clicked. I play using Kilometres, the nitrous doesn't charge unless you travel faster then 300K, and not with boosting but before it. If your coming up to a corner break 300, hit boost before the turn then drift off it, you see the blue flame as indication of a proper power drift. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the maximum amout of energy off it but it works even on a straight, as long as you going faster then 300K, hit boost, drift, blue flame, nitrous charge. I feel like I just learned how to play this game.

melman101

Currently trying to do the 50 face to face races trophy. I am really upset at this process for a few reasons.

1. There is no way for the host to change track in the lobby. Really?
2. The only pseudo way to change tracks would be to set it to random 3. At first I thought it meant 3 random races, but it really means a random choice of the original 3 courses. Really? 3 courses hard coded into the random selection, they didn't think we'd want dlc courses as part of the shuffle?
3. They arbitrarily decided that the host should get 20 bonus credits after each race. So my friend and I have been alternating who's hosting every few races.

Not to mention the obvious one of having different grade cars. I've been handicapping myself by not using nitrous, but it's still not enough.

Definitely agree with all those points. However, I'm sure your friend by racing did upgrade his car sufficiently enough to try to keep with you? :).

The change track thing in the mode is absolutely insane. Also, why did they remove the chat feature in the face to face? Sure, you could be in the vicinity, but maybe you can't talk because your a few rows behind on an airplane. The chat feature would be very nice in these circumstances.

And, yes, I hope they add a true "RANDOM" instead of the 3 random which picks the same course over and over even though it says Random. At least if it cycled threw the 3 that would be way better. You don't need a "Random" when you only have 3 courses (6 now). Just do them in order. LMAO!

ascully

The only bright side to it was I was able to switch teams for free, I sent an email off to Namco letting them know about this, it better not happen again.

SkylineRKR

I agree as well and the level differences are kinda shit as you are either OP or way too slow depending on the lobby you enter. I hardly find same level lobbies. But it does feel good when I manage to smoke a level 7-8 grid with my flex boost installed level 5 car. The gameplay of this game is incredible, its just too bad that the content isn't there.

And, ffs, where is the Meltfire and Lost Ruins for European PSN?

ascully

yes, it did indeed happen to me. I was lucky enough that it happened when I was low level anyway, and getting spotlight VIP so many times in a row has helped me get back much faster.

I have been backing up my save every now and then to my PS3 just in case. Not even daily, just enough so I don't feel like I'd have to start over from 0. I think as yyr said, if this happens to you, turn off your game immediately. When it happened to me, I was so dumbfounded I picked a team and probably overwrote my file. The backup is not too bad, you back up the entire ridge racer app with the save file, dlc, etc.

How do you do the backup golduck? Not really messed with hooking my Vita to the PS3 yet.

I keep hoping they're going to patch in a simple career mode soon. It really couldn't be that hard to do. You've got the tracks and the cars. Now just build some simple structure to them, and ramp up the AI along the way, and done.

This definitely my most played Vita game. The Ridge Racer games ever since the PSP entry has had me addicted. If this game had the content of 7 it would be a hot 9. Right now I'm trying to beat the duels, they seemed impossible at first then Ulitimate Charge/Flex combo clicked. I play using Kilometres, the nitrous doesn't charge unless you travel faster then 300K, and not with boosting but before it. If your coming up to a corner break 300, hit boost before the turn then drift off it, you see the blue flame as indication of a proper power drift. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the maximum amout of energy off it but it works even on a straight, as long as you going faster then 300K, hit boost, drift, blue flame, nitrous charge. I feel like I just learned how to play this game.

This makes a lot of sense. Now that I have in my mind that you need to go a certain speed, the charge is working a lot better for me. Feels like it's around 210-220 mph.

Yeah, I'm a fan of the backup. The only reason I'm using the PS3 instead of PC is because my iphone takes over a ton of hard drive space doing those backups, so I never know how much space I have left

gkryhewy

Is there a way to find or sort by the newest DLC on PSN? It's a baffling ordeal sorting through he DLC for this game to try to find things that are new to me.

Jonnyram

My memory is hazy now, but pretty much all of the courses in RR6 were brand new for the series. I think that's his point. RR7 was mostly RR6 courses, and some remakes of older ones. I thought it only had 3 or 4 all new tracks.

SmokyDave

So glad I caved in and bought this, it's now my most played Vita game. I'm only really playing against online ghosts for an hour or two each time, but I'm really enjoying it.

And, ffs, where is the Meltfire and Lost Ruins for European PSN?

Unless I'm going crazy, they're on the store. So far, I've downloaded 4 cars and 2 tracks, I'm pretty sure Lost Ruins was one of them. TBH, I'm only really playing Old Central with the Elenie at the moment, so I'm not 100% on the rest of the DLC. I know I'm seeing ghosts for a track I don't have yet.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
most people who bought this game aren't that upset - astonishly the last two ridge games are ACTUALLY GOOD! :O

Bumhead

Banned
Enjoying this myself too. Don't know if its my most played Vita game yet but its not far off.

I feel the only thing seperating this from being a "complete" experience for me is customisable single player tournaments. If it had the option to arrange 4-race competitions against the AI I would be really happy with it.

That said, im pretty content taking on Ghost data and online. The racing itself is still fun as hell.

mangaroo

Banned
Spot races also seem to have gotten more challenging as I level up so I don't really have any gripes with the game anymore. I'm hoping lost ruins comes for us in EU this wednesday...bit of a wait but sometimes namco just releases it the next week in EU.

yyr

most people who bought this game aren't that upset - astonishly the last two ridge games are ACTUALLY GOOD! :O

I don't know why anyone is surprised by this. ALL of the Ridge games are good. That sense of speed, the intense feeling you get in a close race near the finish line, the satisfaction of mastering the drift... it's common to every last one of them. The series has been especially good since RRV on PS2.

If you have a 360 or PS3 and are enjoying RR on Vita, you owe it to yourself to pick up RR6 or RR7. They're cheap now and you'll get more than your money's worth.

Wonko_C

Yeah, I don't honestly get where all this "Ridge Racer has been on the decline since forever" thing is coming from. Is it because of the iPhone version?

It seems that all the western market wants in their arcade racers is "destruction! explosions! carnage!" and if your game doesn't have at least one of these things they'll call it "outdated", even the next DiRT is heading in that direction. Can't we have our racing games with upbeat music, blue skies and a festival-like atmosphere anymore?

CLEEK

The only bad Ridge Racers are the poor iPhone port (looks OK, apocalyptic handling) and the outright abomination that was Ridge Racer DS.

I was pleasantly surprised with how Ridge Racer 3D turned out, after all the pre-release media and previews made it look appalling. It's a decent entry, albeit a little rough around the edges.

Likewise, I was even more surprised with the Vita game. It's genuinely a top tier Ridge Racer, with only the recycling of courses a real issue. Once the free Gold Pass and the cheap Silver Pass are taken into consideration, the drip feed DLC structure is not a deal break at all, despite initial doubts that the game would be like the iPhone version and its price gouging DLC.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
What is with all the positivity? You guys are gonna make me buy a vita I'd you keep this up.

Finally picked this up. Two things:

1. Where should I begin? I'm not too sure.
2. In total I have 6 courses and 10 cars. Am I missing anything? Anymore free courses and tracks coming down the pipe?

yyr

Have you played Ridge before? If not, run Spot Races until you get the hang of drifting... if you're familiar with it already, run Ghost Battles against low-level opponents on the "opposing team" (according to Team Vision). All the while, use the CR you earn to start unlocking things on the Upgrade Grid.

whitehawk

Banned
The only bad Ridge Racers are the poor iPhone port (looks OK, apocalyptic handling) and the outright abomination that was Ridge Racer DS.

I was pleasantly surprised with how Ridge Racer 3D turned out, after all the pre-release media and previews made it look appalling. It's a decent entry, albeit a little rough around the edges.

Likewise, I was even more surprised with the Vita game. It's genuinely a top tier Ridge Racer, with only the recycling of courses a real issue. Once the free Gold Pass and the cheap Silver Pass are taken into consideration, the drip feed DLC structure is not a deal break at all, despite initial doubts that the game would be like the iPhone version and its price gouging DLC.
Am I the only one that thought Ridge Racer for iOS wasn't that bad? Although one day they decided to give it retina visuals in an update, and it killed the framerate. And there was no way to downgrade :(

Top Bottom