• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer (Vita) |OT| The Death of a Once Great Franchise

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Every time this thread is bumped I think that someone is posting to tell us that the 2nd DLC track is available on the Vita Store.

Them a little piece of me dies inside when I find out it's not.

Gen X

It is. You can download the Ghosts from Near, but I haven't tried any other Ghost options in the game when I am away from home.

It really is a terrific game and odd and sometimes infuriating quirks, I think it's top tier in regards to community infrastructure.

Biggest reception misfire, though not completely unwarranted.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Because I'm a fucking hypocrite, I downloaded this game yesterday. I reasoned that the game itself was $17.50, since the gold pass was activated upon purchase.

I really hope all the tracks from RR7 and RR2PSP are available as DLC.

I wouldn't say the online is lag free. I've seen some cars pinging about at times, and the framerate is a little less solid in online races.

Overall my biggest complaint with the game is the lack of a standard career mode, and tracks.

If they fix those two things with updates I'd be a very happy camper.

AwShucks

So I love Ridge Racer (R4 and RR PSP probably being my favorites). I'm seeing the overall opinion in here of people that purchased the game liking it. But I'm more curious on the thoughts of worth. Is the $25 digital purchase price worth it for the base content + gold pass DLC? Does it still feel light on content at that price?

Unfortunately I made the mistake of only buying a 4GB memory card as well, and at this rate I'll end up filling it pretty quick (considering Sound Shapes and Gravity Rush should be out soon enough as well).

Wonko_C

Any way to delete individual music tracks that I don't like? I know I can download and patch the game again then only install the music that I like, but that means erasing my progress, stupid sony backup system.

So I love Ridge Racer (R4 and RR PSP probably being my favorites). I'm seeing the overall opinion in here of people that purchased the game liking it. But I'm more curious on the thoughts of worth. Is the $25 digital purchase price worth it for the base content + gold pass DLC? Does it still feel light on content at that price?

Unfortunately I made the mistake of only buying a 4GB memory card as well, and at this rate I'll end up filling it pretty quick (considering Sound Shapes and Gravity Rush should be out soon enough as well).

Yes, it's currently light on content. Unless online is most important to you it's going to feel like a limited game.

Buying digital with a 4GB card seems like trouble.

gragy10

I cracked this evening too, despite being historically shit at RR games.
Add me if you want some easily defeated ghosts!
PSN ID - gragy79

steveovig

After having given up on beating my #56 Old Country R time, I played a spot race on the track and felt some inspiration. Then, I tried Time attack one last time tonight on the track and blasted off six tenths of a second and boosted myself to #50! Leaderboards on Time Attack rules all in this series.

Gen X

Was keen on trying to Plat this game but I don't know any friends who want to complete 50 races face to face over Ad Hoc. :(

Was keen on trying to Plat this game but I don't know any friends who want to complete 50 races face to face over Ad Hoc. :(

That's kind of a stupid trophy to put into the game. I'd imagine about .5% of the people who play this game will ever get that trophy.

amrihua

The last great Ridge Racer was Ridge Racer V and even then it wasn't the best. I'd say Ridge Racer Type 4 is the best hands down. Ever since they brought that nitro thing, I was never able to get into the game again.

Gen X

Just popped my Ridge Racer Online Cherry tonite, it's not too bad online. I like how you get more VP if you beat the enemies teams. Didn't seem to notice any lag but obviously there was some there. A couple of times I automatically jumped up a position when I passed the finish line and then the times displayed showed the guy in front was actually a few 10ths of a second behind. Still, it was enjoyable and I'll definitely be playing some more.

On another note, anyone know how to update your credits and VP to the server? My ID card still says about 3 VP on the Interview screen but I'm around mid 20s now.

Ran rp

i popped in rr7 again last night and the game is still hella fun.
i'm now really tempted to get rr vita now.. especially with the early adopter bonus. kickin' myself for not jumping on the vita launch bomba deals.

in the meantime, i'll console/hype myself with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP_MgjxZsRY

This is making me wish there were some tracks that looked like Nitronic Rush. A Ridge Racer Zone mode, basically. Would race on them so hard.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Can anyone else vouch for these claims? I have a hard time believing you can get lag free or even close to lag free online gaming on a portable using a freakin' 3G connection. Denogginizer....can you please tell me what kind of connection you are on, or what areas you use to play online with your Vita?

Wi-Fi at McDonalds?

3G at some random location outdoors or indoors?

At your home via your own wireless network?

I am on my home WiFi. I have a 12000/1000 DL/UL connection.

OSHAN

Anyone have a link to a VP point chart? I just hit 50 VP points and I've been stuck at level 10 for what seems like forever.

steveovig

Nailed #39 on Highland Cliffs R just now! I can really tell this game isn't selling well when I'm this high up on the leaderboards! BTW, are there leaderboards in Ridge Racer 7?

So, erm, is there an easy way to race online with friends that I'm missing?

Game is very nice apart from that. Smooth, pretty, vintage Ridge.

DenogginizerOS

Anyone have a link to a VP point chart? I just hit 50 VP points and I've been stuck at level 10 for what seems like forever.

I don't think VP affects level. I was an 8 and then dropped back to a 7 and then back to a 6. Now back to 9.

gragy10

So despite my persistent efforts every single attempt at joining an online race so far comes up 'this lobby is not available' or some variation.
I can host a race fine, but that's usually a laborious wait for one other player to join. Anyone got any suggestions for fixing it?

The real game doesn't even have an intro..or does it? I have never seen it, even after waiting a bit on the start screen.

It doesn't. I was just being facetious. I personally think that interactive demo would be great, were it grafted into the main game. Alone, it's the source of much cynicism, but pop that into the game (and maybe let me remix a little Reiko Nagase!) and you'd have quite the kick-off.

Bumhead

Banned
So im going on my lunch break at work in 10 minutes and have £20 burning a hole in my pocket. I generally like (but have never really loved like some) Ridge Racer but think the new game looks OK. I was initially put off by the lack of cars and courses, but the Gold Pass makes it more palatable. I'm also OK with the games structure, as Ghost times and online races are the only modes I play on some of my other racing games, particularly Mario Kart 7 which sounds very similar to this in how it handles online.

Anything else I should know? Anything glaringly negative i should consider?

DenogginizerOS

So im going on my lunch break at work in 10 minutes and have £20 burning a hole in my pocket. I generally like (but have never really loved like some) Ridge Racer but think the new game looks OK. I was initially put off by the lack of cars and courses, but the Gold Pass makes it more palatable. I'm also OK with the games structure, as Ghost times and online races are the only modes I play on some of my other racing games, particularly Mario Kart 7 which sounds very similar to this in how it handles online.

Anything else I should know? Anything glaringly negative i should consider?

If online races and ghosts are what you are looking for, then this game should be very appealing. I think the only negatives are that some races early on may be difficult while you level up to where most are, and the upgrade tree is a bit obtuse both in its description as well as its execution. Also, there is no intro video and the demo is not a demo.

Bumhead

Banned
Bought the game now.

Not played it yet, but going to get stuck into some racing later on.

My PSN ID is in the general Vita Friends thread, but if I wouldn't mind getting some more Ridge Racer players to exchange times and ghosts with etc. OneLove1867 is my PSN if you want to add me.

gragy10

Bought the game now.

Not played it yet, but going to get stuck into some racing later on.

My PSN ID is in the general Vita Friends thread, but if I wouldn't mind getting some more Ridge Racer players to exchange times and ghosts with etc. OneLove1867 is my PSN if you want to add me.

Added! I'm UK and at a similar newb level

gragy10

So despite my persistent efforts every single attempt at joining an online race so far comes up 'this lobby is not available' or some variation.
I can host a race fine, but that's usually a laborious wait for one other player to join. Anyone got any suggestions for fixing it?

Anyone got any suggestions on this? Have the same problem on races of either the same level or a higher one.
Every other vita game i've tried online works fine so I'm a bit confused about everyone raving about how stable teh online experience is atm..

yyr

The last great Ridge Racer was Ridge Racer V and even then it wasn't the best. I'd say Ridge Racer Type 4 is the best hands down. Ever since they brought that nitro thing, I was never able to get into the game again.

I know this was already going off-topic but I can't stay silent any more... why do so many people like R4 so much?! IMHO it's always been the series' weakest entry. Yes, its presentation was tops, the music was great and it actually had a storyline, but...

It had more courses than the previous titles (and RRV) but the course designs themselves weren't as interesting or technical...the mechanics to unlock the 320 (!) cars were absolutely inane (finishing in 4th on purpose? come on!)...and worst of all, the challenge was gone. R4's drift mechanics were dumbed down to the point where they weren't nearly as satisfying, the 8-car races were never as enjoyable or difficult as the 14-car races, the AI was stupid easy to beat... I could keep going...

RRV was amazing and it only got better from there IMHO. Nitrous was a great way to keep the core drift-based arcade-style gameplay familiar while adding challenge... and even some strategy, with the introduction of Ultimate Charge in RR6. All of the new courses in RR6 were fantastic, and each and every one made it through into RR7, where the customization features added even more. I guess my point is...I honestly don't know how anyone can claim R4 is a better game than RR7.

steveovig said:
Nailed #39 on Highland Cliffs R just now! I can really tell this game isn't selling well when I'm this high up on the leaderboards! BTW, are there leaderboards in Ridge Racer 7?

RR6 and RR7 both have leaderboards as well as online racing.

I'm just starting to get into the Vita title but so far it feels like a slideshow. I'm really peeved about the framerate but I'm hoping I can warm up to the game anyway. I'm also really looking forward to trying the courses from the 3DS version, because I haven't played RR3D.

robox

r4 sucks. every other title is good.

yes! r4 wins in presentation, but everything else just sucked. that is an opinion that has baffled me for many many years.
i only started appreciating r4 tracks when i played them ridge racerssss. in their original game, the cars were just too anemic to feel anything from them.
r4 also sucks in that the progression was the same every single time in the story mode, where you only raced on each track in its speed category.
not to continue the derailment...

Bumhead

Banned
Hmm.

Redeemed my Gold Pass code, but only one track (Old Central) and 2 cars (Assoluto Promessa and Age Elenie) are available, along with some BGM. Are we still waiting for the rest to be added to PSN? The PSN listing for the Gold Pass does say "content through to March 31st" to be fair so I assume the rest will come this and next Wednesday, but just wondering.

Top Bottom