• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer (Vita) |OT| The Death of a Once Great Franchise

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
After the Unit 13 fiasco with online passes, I am staying far away from any digital game that has a pass/code attached to it. Early or not, I am still going retail.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm hesitant as well.

If I don't get the retail before Tuesday I'm gonna wait and see what happens with the DD version.

Kai Dracon

Gave in and got an URLEY copy from Amazon... anyone else who picks this up, does the "Lost Ruins" track appear to not yet be in the first DLC batch? I put the gold pass in, but it seems to only download 2 of the 3 tracks.

Ran rp

I don't know if I should get this game for $21.29 at Lockerz or the PSP game for $14.99 on PSN. Are there any good reasons to go for the Vita game over the PSP one? Either one would be my first RR.

whitehawk

Banned
PSY・S;35877374 said:
I don't know if I should get this game for $21.29 at Lockerz or the PSP game for $14.99 on PSN. Are there any good reasons to go for the Vita game over the PSP one? Either one would be my first RR.
Vita = Better graphics
PSP = Everything else (More tracks, more cars, 60fps)

I've already played the hell out of Ridge Racer PSP so I'm getting the Vita one. It all depends on what you want. If the new visuals don't interest you, go for the PSP version because there will be more content.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Gave in and got an URLEY copy from Amazon... anyone else who picks this up, does the "Lost Ruins" track appear to not yet be in the first DLC batch? I put the gold pass in, but it seems to only download 2 of the 3 tracks.

There's two tracks now? There was only one the week the Vita launched (for PAL). Loading up now to check.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yeah, the low number of tracks really isn't killer, here. I'd probably have already bought this if it ran at 60fps.

as it stands, maybe i should get RR7
If the alternative is to run at 60 but look like Asphalt, I don't know if that's something to be desired to be honest.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This will be my first digital game since I know I won't be trading it in.

I'm thinking of doing that with Rayman but I'm trying to talk myself out of it. I've been sitting on whether to get it on cart or DD since launch. I also want it cheaper considering the consoles are cheap and it's 30 on Steam.

Ran rp

Vita = Better graphics
PSP = Everything else (More tracks, more cars, 60fps)

I've already played the hell out of Ridge Racer PSP so I'm getting the Vita one. It all depends on what you want. If the new visuals don't interest you, go for the PSP version because there will be more content.

Bought the PSP game, thanks. I'll just pick up RR Vita when the price drops.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
PSY・S;35877374 said:

PSP version cause it has way more content + 60 FPS...and cheaper!

I'm assuming Ridge Racer runs on Vita too, but make sure first

Kai Dracon

I don't want to talk poorly about the PSP game because it does have a lot of content. But I never liked how the racing was "faked" - as far as I could tell it couldn't actually show 8 cars on the screen at once. So it just shows 4 cars and rubberbands to simulate 8 cars in the race.

The Vita game is at least "plays it straight".

PSP version cause it has way more content + 60 FPS...and cheaper!

I'm assuming Ridge Racer runs on Vita too, but make sure first
It does run on Vita. I've got it.

So, Namco are assholes. Knowing how expensive memory is on the Vita, they still made U.S buyers download a 300mb patch. You couldn't have put that on the cart?

Then you've got the "free" DLC. Again, more downloading and precious memory card space taken up. All told, between the patch and the DLC, you're looking at about 500mb day one for a game you bought on a cartridge. :-|

Lastly, all their PR talk and even the stupid DLC code slip state you're getting 3 additional tracks. I input the code and it downloads 2 tracks. So I guess I'll get that third track later? Maybe? Possibly?

When people talk shit about Japanese developers/publishers, this is why.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Hah. Definitely skipping this until bomba pricing *maybe*. Huge patches on Vita is a big turn off for me.

mollipen

PSY・S;35877374 said:

Neither. Track down Ridge Racer 2 PSP. Twice the content of the first PSP Ridge Racer, and an absolutely phenomenal product.

Well, I like Purple Sky.

Other than that, pretty crap game. Harborline 765 chugs and the menu system is a mess. Where is the goddamn career mode?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It does run on Vita. I've got it.

So, Namco are assholes. Knowing how expensive memory is on the Vita, they still made U.S buyers download a 300mb patch. You couldn't have put that on the cart?

Then you've got the "free" DLC. Again, more downloading and precious memory card space taken up. All told, between the patch and the DLC, you're looking at about 500mb day one for a game you bought on a cartridge. :-|

Lastly, all their PR talk and even the stupid DLC code slip state you're getting 3 additional tracks. I input the code and it downloads 2 tracks. So I guess I'll get that third track later? Maybe? Possibly?

When people talk shit about Japanese developers/publishers, this is why.
Well, I wouldn't say THIS is why as this particular situation is pretty different from most Japanese issues.

However, I DO find it unacceptable. I had no idea that they would release the same fucking cart without any patches in the US. Boggles my mind. I can see why they would leave the content as DLC (though it should have been on cart), but I cannot understand the lack of a patch.

OSHAN

My copy arrived today.

Regardless of everything I've read, I'm still excited. It's RR on my Vita. I'm pathetic.

legbone

i know ridge racer for the psp works on vita. does the second one that came out for psp work too? or is it even available on psn? just curious. unable to get to my ps3 at the moment.

Kai Dracon

My copy arrived today.

Regardless of everything I've read, I'm still excited. It's RR on my Vita. I'm pathetic.

DOn't feel bad. The game plays smooth as glass after the patch and it's as fun as ever. It's RR.

One thing I don't get so far... I don't quite get game progression. I'm racing spot races against AI, a few ghosts, a few time trials... I'm not sure what points make me level up, I'm still at level 1. But even though I'm at level 1, I got a message that my sponsor upgraded all my cars to level 2. Eh?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Neither. Track down Ridge Racer 2 PSP. Twice the content of the first PSP Ridge Racer, and an absolutely phenomenal product.

Maaaan, Ridge Racer 2 was so much better... mostly because the bulk of the content they added was from the glorious R4.

Ran rp

nevermind, sorry. it seems it is not available on psn. sorry for being an idiot. carry on.
Maaaan, Ridge Racer 2 was so much better... mostly because the bulk of the content they added was from the glorious R4.

lol I'd definitely go for RR2 if it was available. I wish RR had more from R4 since I was originally planning to just download that, but there's no PS1 support yet :/

Great game though. 60fps, tight controls, and awesome music.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I got this from Amazon on Wednesday and have spent a bit of time playing it. Initially I thought the game was awful, but that was due to my starting the game without waiting to see if the patch was up-- I thought the U.S. version came updated.

Pre-patch, the game was choppy and had a terrible sense of speed. I thought I was playing the iPhone version; it was awful.

After downloading the patch and the DLC, things got much, much better- it's a solid 30FPS and feels very fast. Game play is typical Ridge Racer. It's been a long time since I played RR7 so I'm not sure if this is new, but you can now take any car and adjust the drift type, plus apply upgrades, so the small amount of cars doesn't really matter.

What does feel lacking is the lack of tracks. Only three initially, plus two more via the first DLC pack (thought it was supposed to be three, but only two were downloaded). Five just isn't enough, but the game is slick and the online integration with the menus is awesome.

This is the kind of game that needs to be bashed for its lack of content, but at the same time what is there is solid and good. Even with the lack of tracks, I still like this more than Wipeout.

Would recommend purchasing if you're fine with the Scamco DLC system.

I agree with Lyte'e general sentiments. This isn't a flawed game from a gameplay/technical perspective, which frankly gives it a leg up on many games these days.

Loading times are solid, and the menus are pretty slick. It just needs more tracks.

Remember, this game retails for $30. Not $40. Plus it's going to be $25 on the PSN store Tuesday night. I don't really think it's a terrible deal when you take all of that into consideration.

Wow, 30fps doesn't bother me NEARLY as badly as I thought it would.

There's some really cool stuff in this game. I like the progression of earning points and money, and the "team vision" online stuff is really cool. I feel very connected. I was also just selected as a "Spotlight VIP" for Squaris GP for the next 24 hours, whatever that means.

I'm super happy with this game. If it gets a lot of DLC I'm in for all of it probably.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Other than that, pretty crap game. Harborline 765 chugs and the menu system is a mess. Where is the goddamn career mode?

you need to patch if it's chugging.

and the 3/10 from IGN is extremely harsh.

Brera

Banned
Fuck me.

Ridge is being even considered on the same level as some shitty iPhone franchise?

Namco need to seriously inject some nitros into the series. The next one needs to have a radically new engine and bring something new.

Ridge Racer has stalled after Type 4!

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Fuck me.

Ridge is being even considered on the same level as some shitty iPhone franchise?

Namco need to seriously inject some nitros into the series. The next one needs to have a radically new engine and bring something new.

Ridge Racer has stalled after Type 4!

...except that it hasnt?

The problem is that we all know that this is an unfinished game because they had only a few months of work after finishing the 3DS version.

Still, they went for charge a retail price. Not the 40$ or 50$ that they would have charged if it was a full game, but still, too much.

When they saw that they wouldn't be able to finish the game on time, they had 3 options.

1.- Release what they had.
2.- Delay the game until they had an acceptable amount of content
3.- Sell it as a RR prologue version, very cheap, and then release the real game later, on retail, giving the option of upgrade from prologue to full game with DD for the price difference.

And they choosed wrongly.

whitehawk

Banned
Crazy how Ridge has fallen since last generation. I think Ridge Racer for the PSP is still one of the best looking PSP games to ever be released. (especially because of 60fps). I can already tell that many Vita games look better than Ridge Racer Vita, and RR runs at 30fps this time :(

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
The problem is that we all know that this is an unfinished game because they had only a few months of work after finishing the 3DS version.

but wasn't the Vita one mostly made by Cellius while 3D was mostly internal?

I don't think rushing it has anything to do with it. I think it's more Namco's insistence that virtually all their games have DLC.

I don't think rushing it has anything to do with it. I think it's more Namco's insistence that virtually all their games have DLC.

If they made this on purpouse to sell DLC,, and is not consequence of having to release something in a period of a few months, the 3/10 of IGN is way to high.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Man, i really hope RR Unbounded puts the franchise back on top

I don't know... that thing just got a significant delay....

From what I've played of the game at preview events, it's pretty cool, but a big delay like two weeks before release doesn't give me much hope.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

theres dlc, and then theres this. has there ever been a game thats launch was like this? theres little content. and they are trying to supplement that with paid dlc. im going with the incomplete theory, with the added notion that scamco got greedy in the process

BigDug13

Sometimes in Ridge Racer, I misjudge what direction a turn is going to be and I enter a drift but turn my car in the wrong direction. But my car will still turn the corner in the right direction.

On the DS version, I used to do 360's in the wrong direction around corners and still come out of the turn at full speed in the middle of the track. What kind of racing is that?

Yet it's still a fun series. But this sounds like a crappy amount of content. People were bitching about only 15 tracks on 3DS. But 3??

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I just had an absolute blast racing online against people from France, Aus, Canada, and US all in one race. Think Chromehounds. This is all about jumping online and racing. The lobby system is elegant and the presentation is excellent. Say what you want, but my purchase was just justified.

This game uses Near in a very cool way. You can upload your ghost scores to near or globally. If you upload locally via near, you can choose the radius you want to share your uploaded ghost.

Sometimes in Ridge Racer, I misjudge what direction a turn is going to be and I enter a drift but turn my car in the wrong direction. But my car will still turn the corner in the right direction.

On the DS version, I used to do 360's in the wrong direction around corners and still come out of the turn at full speed in the middle of the track. What kind of racing is that?

Yet it's still a fun series. But this sounds like a crappy amount of content. People were bitching about only 15 tracks on 3DS. But 3??

It's not 3. At least not in the U.S and Europe. It's 5, with another truck soon on the way.

One of the things I didn't like about the PSP version. Once you've initiated a drift the car drives on rails around corners. It was kind of forgivable as a launch title because you don't spend the entire race drifting and there was a lot of content, but truthfully the series died with Ridge Racer 5.

Kai Dracon

All this "RR sucked after Type 4" is overblown... Ridge Racer 7 IMO is a superb game and my favorite in the series. It's basically "RR6: finished edition". Has the content, machine customization, and modes that RR6 lacked even if it's built out of RR6.

It's just that Namco abandoned the series after RR7 for the most part and doesn't really seem to know what to do with it. The Unboundededed game seems an attempt to randomly fish for what 'Mercians might like to see in a racing game.

Even this game is good in terms of the racing itself. And the graphics, actually. (AFTER the patch.) People saying the graphics suck compared to other Vita games, what? Huge draw distance, lots of geometry, rich colors, and lots of shaders and effects. Great depth of field effect on the horizon. Graphics are not the problem this game has. Neither is gameplay. It's just content and possibly structure.

They really should have had Lost Ruins ready for launch in the US so there was a full 6 tracks... though it could be they're still adding all the gold pass DLC to the servers since the official release is Bisonday / Tuesday.

The one thing that is a missed opportunity is a Mario Kart 7 style full ghost race that populates a race with 7 ghosts at once picked for your skill level. Big emphasis on ghost racing in this game but unless I'm missing a way to load more than one ghost, they're all 1 on 1 duels.

Top Bottom