• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racers PSP: 3 new movies from Famitsu.com

Amir0x said:
Until the inevitable Microsoft handheld!

I don't see them doing that for awhile. They're already making sure that the Xbox 2 won't cost them as much money. They'd want to compete with Sony in and that'd cost them money to do that.

They'd be better off just making games for current handhelds. That's all profit for them.

Amir0x

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I don't see them doing that for awhile. They're already making sure that the Xbox 2 won't cost them as much money. They'd want to compete with Sony in and that'd cost them money to do that.

They'd be better off just making games for current handhelds. That's all profit for them.

I don't see them doing it just now either, I was just making a joke. But I do believe that if Sony is moderately successful in its PSP endeavour that Microsoft will eventually jump in, lest it not have a stake in some part of the gaming industry.

Amir0x said:
I don't see them doing it just now either, I was just making a joke. But I do believe that if Sony is moderately successful in its PSP endeavour that Microsoft will eventually jump in, lest it not have a stake in some part of the gaming industry.

Heh imagine the PSP with MG, FF7, GTA and a HALO game. :p Online portable HALO.

Amir0x

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Heh imagine the PSP with MG, FF7, GTA and a HALO game. :p Online portable HALO.

If they got the battery life to stay alive for 4 hours with the online function working, it would be the greatest thing ever in the history of man.

Just wanted to make sure everybody knew this, but the game is clearly using some form of the R:RE game engine and graphic engine.

You can tell in the videos. For example:

- When the car pulls off the starting line, you can hear the engine sounds, which are the same engine sounds as in R:RE, same back fire and all ( NO RIDGE RACER EVER HAD BACK FIRE ), and when the car pulls off the start line it doesn't evne really move or have that typical Ridge Racer sense of starting off, instead it's the same thing found in R:RE where it just sort of blasts off without moving the suspension of the car or anything... it looks like it goes from completely still to completely still while being pulled by a rope! That is so the same thing as R:RE

- Another thing, some of the corners taken in Ridge Racers when in 3rd person view mode, without powersliding, almost looks identical to the camera movement found in R:RE

- The Nitrous system I swear, looks just like the one found in R:RE.

So basically, they used the R:RE engine for this game, just wanting to point this out. Also the music is done by the same person who did the music for R:RE... so expect it to be pretty good, but nothing like true Ridge Racer! At least not from what I heard in the vids and from R:RE!

OMGx1000

This DOES look better than RR5. And @60FPS, it's game over man. Game over. DS is toast. Burnt toast.

The only thing is the battery life might be like 30 minutes going by how good that shit looked! :lol

Amir0x

Banned
Shogmaster said:
The only thing is the battery life might be like 30 minutes going by how good that shit looked! :lol

For serious. PSP battery life is out of pocket, Sony seriously needs to get crackin' on a solution. I'll buy an extra battery for the time being, but man that's sad that I have to stoop to that.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Amir0x said:
For serious. PSP battery life is out of pocket, Sony seriously needs to get crackin' on a solution. I'll buy an extra battery for the time being, but man that's sad that I have to stoop to that.

First, they will release bigger batteries.

Second, before panicking... will you just wait to play the game and see how long does it play for ?

Brofist

Panajev2001a said:

Second, before panicking... will you just wait to play the game and see how long does it play for ?

lol yeah really..it's funny how 4-6 hours has been trimmed down to 15 minutes by these boards.

Id like to see it handle the RR5 tracks. Rage Racer track uses alot of last-gen tricks to cover up the short draw distance. Every time you go around a corner a new barrier slides into place.

Miburou

seismologist said:
Id like to see it handle the RR5 tracks. Rage Racer track uses alot of last-gen tricks to cover up the short draw distance. Every time you go around a corner a new barrier slides into place.

It's one thing being a troll, but being a retarded, uninformed troll is a bit too much. That first track IS from RR5. There are no Rage Racer tracks in Ridge Racers that have been shown yet.

Amir0x

Banned
Panajev2001a said:

I know they will release "bigger batteries." Unfortunately, they should have these batteries ready already for launch. Better yet, these bigger batteries should be the standard batteries as soon as possible.

And yes, I of course will wait to play the game to see how long it lasts for. But...

kpop100 said:
lol yeah really..it's funny how 4-6 hours has been trimmed down to 15 minutes by these boards.

...the reason I'm nervous is because of the comments made by Ken Kuturagi himself, who specifically mentioned Ridge Racer in giving an example of games which will burn battery life more quickly than the estimated 4-6.

And even at 4-6, that's 4-6 with headphone volume half way and other qualifiers, so it still needs to be improved eventually.

Miburou

Amir0x said:
...the reason I'm nervous is because of the comments made by Ken Kuturagi himself, who specifically mentioned Ridge Racer in giving an example of games which will burn battery life more quickly than the estimated 4-6.

He didn't say that. There were various translations of what he said, and one of them implied that, but another said the more reasonable "RR will consume more battery life than a simpler game". I mean what's the point of giving a range if there are games that fall outside of that range? One of the requirements for a game to approved by Sony is that it's battery consumptions has to be within a certain range, so there's no reason why any game couldn't maintain the 4-6 hours of battery life.

^ You have got to be kidding me. The second clip is hot! 12 cars, 60 FPS, awesome ridge racer music.

Doesn't get better than this on a handheld. Plus these movies are low res, watch direct feed IGN clips or gamewatch clips. So much better.

This game will own.

akascream said:
Oh, its definately awesome for a handheld. I just fall for Sony hype every time. PS2 level graphics?.. please.

Please tell when Sony said that PSP would have PS2 level grahpics?

If it only had better battery power the games would look even better.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Oh, its definately awesome for a handheld. I just fall for Sony hype every time. PS2 level graphics?.. please
They said PSP will have near-PS2 level graphics. Which is true.

I mean, what's the problem... This does look better than RRV, in many ways, except for the number of polygons used on cars, after all, and even in cars there isn't much of a difference.

Who gives a shit about textures? The game runs at 60 FPS.

God I hate these graphics whore.

"hmm I am not playing the game just looking at textures"

fucking idiots

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Textures on that one track are pretty much lifted from RRV.

It looks very good, IMO, and I think on the smaller screen you won't even be able to see the texture resolution that much as if it was stretched over a huge TV screen.

xexex

Banned
PSP does have close to PS2-level graphics. there's little doubt of that. in some areas, PSP surpasses PS2, like in terms of rendering features. though it is true, PS2 has more raw horsepower than PSP. yet it doesnt really matter, since PSP has less work to do since it renders to a smaller screen.

Top Bottom