• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racers PSP: 3 new movies from Famitsu.com

thorns

Banned
I would love to play this game on my set with my nice speakers but not on a small screen with crappy speakers.

PS2 KID

Wow. That was really fantastic. Wish I had the higher res videos though. hehe. I really liked how they had someone who knew how to drive in these demos rather than the usual person who slams the cars up against everything. :lol

Bebpo

Banned
thorns said:
I would love to play this game on my set with my nice speakers but not on a small screen with crappy speakers.

HEADPHONES are your friend. Like I said in the past, PSP sound = near Xbox HQ sound IMO. You'll want a nice pair of DJ headphones when playing PSP :)

Elios83

mms://wms03.aii.co.jp/famitsu/041109_ridgeracers_03_1000k.wmv

I want this at PSP's launch :OO
Ridge Racer is back!

COCKLES

being watched
Holy Shit. Make me a fully paid up PSP fanboy!

Rave Racer tracks in there...oh my!

10/11/2004 - The day the DS dream died.

Never forget.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

Never forget.
Argh, I wish I wasn't at work at the moment so that I could whip up a Cockles style 'welcome to' picture :p

I would love to play this game on my set with my nice speakers but not on a
small screen with crappy speakers.
I, on the other hand, would rather play a game like this on a handheld. Arcadey, twitch games that I play in short bursts, like racers, shooters, and such, are perfect for handhelds, IMO. Even in these small videos, it sounds prety damn awesome with headphones, btw.

mumu

First rule of GAF: No PSP thread without DS hating! :) PSPers can't be happy without the DS. Having said that, it looks very good. Anyone who still buys Ridge Racer DS over this is a fool.

WordofGod

Banned
COCKLES said:

Never forget.

So True. I believe Nintendo has trully lost touch with the gamer around the world. Seeing this beauty on a handheld with amazing music just sold me. :D

WordofGod

Banned
mumu said:
First rule of GAF: No PSP thread without DS hating! :) PSPers can't be happy without the DS.

I am buying two DS's @ launch but this game just blows everything away that I have seen on the Nintendo DS. You just can't compare anymore. PSP OWNS DS.

mumu

WordofGod said:
I believe Nintendo has trully lost touch with me.
Fixed. I'm pretty sure DS will still sell quite a bit more than PSP, despite the great graphics of RR. People just won't buy RR DS anymore. They are gonna buy it for all the other great games. I know it's hard to accept for some people that one great game on either of the handhelds doesn't automatically mean the other is doomed :)

WordofGod

Banned
mumu said:
Fixed. I'm pretty sure DS will still sell quite a bit more than PSP, despite the great graphics of RR. People just won't buy RR DS anymore. They are gonna buy it for all the other great games. I know it's hard to accept for some people that one great game on either of the handhelds doesn't automatically mean the other is doomed :)

You tend to forget that in this country, USA, image is everything. Sony's image is still king and with Sony's marketing Nintendo will not be able to compete. It's like this, and that's the way it is! Nintendo is still my favorite company but you can just tell that Nintendo does not have what it takes anymore to get the mass market gamer anymore. Halo2 proves that.

Word of mouth is stronger than image. The main thing that will propel the DS is when kids figure out that they can use picto chat to goof off in class.

Basically everyone's gonna want one.

Ridge Racer looks "neat". All the nerds will try to show off with it. But it's not the kind of thing that makes you say "OMG I must rush out and spend $200 to have this!". It's more like "Wow that looks expensive...".

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
seismologist said:
Ridge Racer looks "neat". All the nerds will try to show off with it. But it's not the kind of thing that makes you say "OMG I must rush out and spend $200 to have this!". It's more like "Wow that looks expensive...".

Seeing how Ridge Racers looks, seeing how well cool does the PSP look, seeing it has too WiFi (Infrastructure and Ad-hoc modes are both supported), it has a USB 2.0 port, Memory Stick Pro Duo support (MP3s, ATRAC3+ files, MPEG4 AVC compressed videos, pictures, etc...), etc... you do think "wow, it must be expensive"... then you look at the price-tag "19,800 Yen" and become amazed at how much value Sony was able to put in a console launching at that price.

teiresias said:
seismologist is the saddest poster on the forum nowadays . . . ever since the PSP price announcement.

The saddest people are everyone who think the DS is dead all of a sudden because of the graphics. I've already seen PSP in person and decided I didn't want one for several reasons. The price doesn't waiver me.

Ridge Racer sure looks nice though :)

Pimpwerx

seismologist said:
Word of mouth is stronger than image. The main thing that will propel the DS is when kids figure out that they can use picto chat to goof off in class.

Wow gigadent, you were once a deluded Sega fan, and now a deluded Nintendo one too. First of all, which teacher is gonna let a kid use a Gameboy in class? Even if it looks like a PDA, most electronic devices are banned in classrooms. Second, pictochat is certainly not gonna be the selling point for the system. Matter of fact, I'd bet dollars to donuts it's an underused novelty within a month. Lastly, the price of the system is not $200. You stink of desperation when you keep repeating that mantra. The only price we know of is the Japan one, and that's still ~$185. If SCEA marks it up to $200, it will be the first time they've ever done so. It's almost a rule that Japan pays more than we do. The DS will do fine but IF this handheld gen follows the trends we've seen in the past, the huge graphics disparity is gonna cost the DS big. It'll start with 3rd party software and then eventually stagnation of the base. 10M GC owners know this all too well. PEACE.

WordofGod

Banned
seismologist said:

I cannot believe I am defending Sony, but I will for the PSP. GT4 will sell millions of PSP's. Final Fantasy 7 will sell millions of PSP's. Socom PSP will sell millions of PSP's. GTA PSP will sell million and millions of PSP's. The list will go on and on and on.

The best difference I can give is that the DS is regular tv and the PSP is HDTV. Once you see HDTV you will never want to watch anything less the HDTV quality tv shows, sports or movies. That is the effect PSP will have on the mass market not 5 to 12 year olds.

thorns

Banned
I agree the game looks great and the music is awesome. but I still don't want to be forced to play this with headphones and on a small screen. I hope namco will release a console version (preferably on xbox too with live), but my hopes are very slim.

thorns

Banned
also don't forget we get better games when kids use pictochat in class.

when nintendo is richer, their games are more fun!
just like their games are MUCH MORE FUN now that they "made out like a bandit" from microsoft's rare purchase.

jiggle

thorns said:
I agree the game looks great and the music is awesome. but I still don't want to be forced to play this with headphones and on a small screen. I hope namco will release a console version (preferably on xbox too with live), but my hopes are very slim.

You can always wait for RRVI to launch with PS3:)

FnordChan

"Somebody fired off some nitrous!" sounds like the culmination of a "Pull my finger!" gag. Glad to see the Ridge Racer series still has the most obnoxious announcers in all racing gaming.

That said, boy howdy does that look some kind of fantastic. I really don't want to have to buy a PSP, but Ridge Racers is doing serious damage to my resolve. I want to be able to play the original Ridge Racer track wherever I go. I'm doomed.

FnordChan

Agent X

COCKLES said:

Never forget.

Wow, even COCKLES is impressed with something on a Sony system. This thread needs to be archived! :)

Seriously, this game looks fabulous.

COCKLES

being watched
Agent X said:
Wow, even COCKLES is impressed with something on a Sony system. This thread needs to be archived! :)

Seriously, this game looks fabulous.

Always been a big Ridge fan.

The soundtrack is from the gods as well. Cheesy Namco techno returns! We missed you baby. TAKE FUCKING NOTE EA TRAXX!

I'd love to see Sony slip some support (or a third party) for DIVX/XVID in there somewhere with no limits on the memory card sizes. Would be nice to be able to whack in a huge card with a load of MP3s plus a movie or two.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Cockles as a PSP fan is a trap, fellas. I think he realizes that his fandom helps doom a console to a distant second place and is hoping it'll work this time around too. Besides, he's just going to piss off DS fans needlessly. Just say no, everyone :p

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'd love to see Sony slip some support (or a third party) for DIVX/XVID in there somewhere with no limits on the memory card sizes. Would be nice to be able to whack in a huge card with a load of MP3s plus a movie or two.
I would bet that there is going to at least be an app that will be converting videos into PSP's MPEG4 h264 format, if it won't be possible to make some homebrew app that will be playing DivX directly. No limitation on Memory stick size is a given. PSP accepts any Duo Pro card, and I think that for now they go up to 1GB.

Now, if Ridge Racer programmers can only figure out how to make the custom soundtrack support for their game, that would be completely crazy. Technically I don't think anything's stopping them, hell they pretty much have a dedicated processor just for media decoding, so pulling some MP3s from memory strick and playing them during gameply shouldn't be a problem. As someone said, the Ridge Racer for PS1 was probably the first game to offer custom soundtrack (by swapping in the audio CD after the game is loaded) It would be nice if they can keep the tradition :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Sony have already backtracked on the 'no mp3' thing, and confirmed that PSP will play mp3s from the memory stick. I'm surprised there is no sonic stage software bundled with the machine.

I would bet that there is going to at least be an app that will be converting videos into PSP's MPEG4 h264 format

Assuming it has the player functionality to play movies in that format off the memory stick, it won't be long before you can get PC software to do that. I've tried some of these (h264 movies) on my series 60 phone, at 128kb/s, and they look great (phone is low res though). I'd expect 300-500kbit/s to be plenty for reasonable quality, which is about 400MB for a 2hour movie. Space for two on a 1Gig card :)

snapty00

Banned
mrklaw said:
Sony have already backtracked on the 'no mp3' thing, and confirmed that PSP will play mp3s from the memory stick. I'm surprised there is no sonic stage software bundled with the machine.
And thank the Lord for it. I hate that crap.

Midas

mrklaw said:

Well, you probably just have to download it from their music store (forgot the name).

COCKLES

being watched
kaching said:
Cockles as a PSP fan is a trap, fellas. I think he realizes that his fandom helps doom a console to a distant second place and is hoping it'll work this time around too. Besides, he's just going to piss off DS fans needlessly. Just say no, everyone :p

:lol :lol

mosaic

go eat paint
Loved the videos... like the direction they're going... but wow, they succeeded in hiring a worse announcer than in RRV. Pretty soon, Urkel is going to be doing the voice in Ridge Racer games.

At least the dude in RRV had personality -- "He got too close for com-fort" and "These guys aren't rew-keys."

Ah well, I'll be buying it. Now if I can just find a site still doing PSP hardware pre-orders. Silly me, I waited until I had the money for sure instead of just going "hey NCS, put me down!"

I was hoping to say WOW like everyone else but the first movie says "OKAY LETS CHECK THE REPLAY..."

PSP = PS2

so nothing new to get me to buy
I'm not a RR fan

PSP port of GTA:SA please

XS+

Banned
Marconelly said:
I, on the other hand, would rather play a game like this on a handheld. Arcadey, twitch games that I play in short bursts, like racers, shooters, and such, are perfect for handhelds, IMO.
Bullet-hell shooters wouldn't work all that great on the small screen..

EDIT: When was Gigadent ever a Sega fan?

COCKLES

being watched
psp_family.jpg

Top Bottom