• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rio Olympics : Egyptian Judoka Refuses to Shake Hands With Israeli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It isn't anti-Semitism, it is the Arab people not condoning Isreals actions against Palestine.

If your position is that BDS extends to not showing basic courtesy to other human beings you meet (even if in the context of representing their nations), then you can't go to the Olympics. That seems fairly straightforward. The ultimatum that Israeli athletes cannot compete at the same event as the Arab world is incompatible with the Olympics. Although the Olympics has occasionally fell prey to state-to-state disputes, it has not and shouldn't fall prey to person-to-person disputes. The Olympics is like the legendary WW1 christmas day soccer matches: it should be a reminder of the commonwealth of man even in a world where so many divisions exist.

And the U.S. has no right to any of the lands of America, yet what do we have.

Isreal has forcefully taken over the majority of Palestine and they won't stop till they take it all over and drive Arabs out.

Yeah because Palestine can really contend with Isreal which is backed by the U.S. and was backed by much of the western world.

I would argue that Israel has a better historical claim to its land than America does to its own. I don't disagree with what you're saying.

However, Palestine made the choice to go to war in 1947 by not accepting the UN Partition plan. And the other Arab nations joined them in '48 in a war of elimination, in which the stated goal was to drive the Jews into the sea. Certainly that has fostered a great deal of enmity, as did al-Husseini's support of the Nazis in World War II. I don't agree with the goals of the Israeli right-wing which unfortunately now has a majority in the country and is, as you said, hell bent on acquiring all of Palestine. And there were indeed many Zionists (historically, the Irgun and Lehi) who committed wanton violence and acts of terror that cannot be excused. However, going back to my original point, the comparison to Apartheid South Africa just does not stand up to scrutiny. To make that argument is to blindly dismiss the historical context in which the state of Israel was created and the historical ties to the land that the Jews do indeed have. It's a much more complex situation than simple colonialism.

Explain what point he is making, then, and how it contributes to improving, well, anything. It's pettiness, pure and simple.
That he won't shake hands with a member of a country that is routinely oppressing members of the Ummah? I'm pretty sure that's the point.

It's petty but who gives a fuck, it's only a sports match, there's so much more important in the world, don't you think?

Kayhan

If your position is that BDS extends to not showing basic courtesy to other human beings you meet (even if in the context of representing their nations), then you can't go to the Olympics. That seems fairly straightforward. The ultimatum that Israeli athletes cannot compete at the same event as the Arab world is incompatible with the Olympics. Although the Olympics has occasionally fell prey to stay-to-stay disputes, it has not and shouldn't fall prey to person-to-person disputes. The Olympics is like the legendary WW1 christmas day soccer matches: it should be a reminder of the commonwealth of man even in a world where so many divisions exist.

This sums it up nicely.

Audioboxer

That he won't shake hands with a member of a country that is routinely oppressing members of the Ummah? I'm pretty sure that's the point.

It's petty but who gives a fuck, it's only a sports match, there's so much more important in the world, don't you think?

When the "whole world" tunes in for the Olympics, especially kids and families, making your political point personal against another human athlete is petty and ignorant at best, discriminatory and inflammatory at worst.

Hence we we often use sporting events as the one time countries and athletes can compete in good faith and walk away winner or loser with their heads held high.

But no let us introduce or let the cancer of the world, bigotry/discrimination roam free in the Olympics because it happens elsewhere. Right?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So the point he's making is that he's a blind, fanatical moron who can't differentiate between an individual and a nation's government, and a rude asshole? Okay... I guess his point is made!

Did anyone say this was the most important thing in the world? Whoareyoutalkingtowhatareyoutalkingabout.gif

DiscoJer

But would he shake the hand of a Turk? They pretty much do the same to the Kurds as what Israel does to the Palestinians.

I'd take the whole outrage over Palestine a lot more seriously if the same people were just as upset over Kurdistan. (which was divided up between 3 countries as opposed to giving it to the Kurds)

And going outside the Middle East, Tibet.. There's very little talk about that because no one wants to anger China.

Should be sent home and banned. If you can't represent your country at an Olympic event because "security concerns" you should decline to take part. Your country should be banned from taking part as well.

Antisemitism in Islam is horrific and deplorable.

Not an inch should be given in supporting it because "security concerns". Not an inch.
Go read History, Antisemitism peaked among Muslims after the creation of Israel,
Otherwise there was an alliance between Jews on the Middle East and Muslims.
Even during the Muslim conquest in Spain, their were Jews among the Muslim army.
Jewish Egyptian and Jews temples are still their in Egypt. Jews weren't hated,
Just hating another religion goes against the Prophet teachings.
Among the Islamic Golden age, they're were famous Arab Jewish poets, scientists and medics.

The problem that Arab Jews are facing now is that Zionism and Judaism are mixed.
They are not the same.

I'm starting to believe that Religions are not a source of problems as beliefs, it's the dangerous mixture of Politics and Religion that are tearing the region apart.

Jag

Plenty of posts on Arab forums that at least honestly admit that anti-semitism is rampant and accepted in the Islamic world. I've heard and read it way too many times to think it isn't.

It's also understandable given the events of the 20th century, but to deny that it exists and that the scope is very widespread is being dishonest.

When North Korea can act more honorably, you have a serious issue.

Lots of (muslim) Arabs feel very very involved in the matter.

Apparently not very much in this case given that Egypt does not allow Palestinians living in Egypt to apply for Egyptian citizenship, does not allow refugees from Gaza to enter Egypt, destroyed 150 tunnels used by Palestinian refugees in 2015, and has recently completely closed the border to both people and goods to Gaza blockading the territory.

Yeah no...jews and Christians perhaps

Uhh, no, all three believe in the Abrahamic God. Christians throw a wrench into it with the idea of the Trinity, but all three religions recognize that their sister religions pray to the same God. Christians also consider the Hebrew Torah as sacred, while Muslims believe the Christian Bible is divinely inspired.

When the "whole world" tunes in for the Olympics, especially kids and families, making your political point personal against another human athlete is petty and ignorant at best, discriminatory and inflammatory at worst.

Hence we we often use sporting events as the one time countries and athletes can compete in good faith and walk away winner or loser with their heads held high.

But no let us introduce or let the cancer of the world, bigotry/discrimination roam free in the Olympics because it happens elsewhere. Right?
I understand the point that you're making but I still can't help but feel this thread makes a big deal out of it. People often feel powerless as individuals and nobody gives a shit what this man thinks, does or feels at any other time except for now and he used that to make a point. Would I do it? Of course I fucking wouldn't, I'd shake the guys hand and get on with the sport. Should we be talking about this guy like he's scum? No.

So the point he's making is that he's a blind, fanatical moron who can't differentiate between an individual and a nation's government, and a rude asshole? Okay... I guess his point is made!

Did anyone say this was the most important thing in the world? Whoareyoutalkingtowhatareyoutalkingabout.gif
People are representing their countries, it's hardly surprising.

I appreciate the smarm in the final sentence of yours but it should be obvious that my point was not that you or anyone else thinks it's the most important thing but that actually it's one of the least - you even responded to me wrong, I said there's 'so much more' important - but hey, I've heard you dislike people being rude, maybe time to practise what you preach (.gif)?

But would he shake the hand of a Turk? They pretty much do the same to the Kurds as what Israel does to the Palestinians.

I'd take the whole outrage over Palestine a lot more seriously if the same people were just as upset over Kurdistan. (which was divided up between 3 countries as opposed to giving it to the Kurds)

And going outside the Middle East, Tibet.. There's very little talk about that because no one wants to anger China.
Yeah, I mean, I won't speak for the guys political ideology and I agree with you to an extent but this is a bit like people saying 'why are you fundraising for breast cancer? Aren't all cancers important!?'

mcrommert

Banned
All 3 believe in the Abrahamic God?

They slightly differ on what he requires....shared history is not the same as believing in the same God

If that were true Christians would have the same God as the mormons

Edit: Also Christians believe in a single God in three persons; a triune God. Pretty sure the muslims don't. Therefore we don't believe in the same God.

Xe4

Banned
They slightly differ on what he requires....shared history is not the same as believing in the same God

Edit: Also Christians believe in a single God in three persons; a triune God. Pretty sure the muslims don't. Therefore we don't believe in the same God.
They do. Muslims beleive Jesus and Moses were prophets. Same with Mormons.

And Christians beleive in the holy trinity, which is different than what Jews and Muslims beleivr, but the god is still the same. Just in Christianity, the God works through three seprate, distinct, entities.

Christians and Mormons (who consider themselves Christians) generally believe in the same God. Mormons also believe in Jesus Christ.

Though, obviously, Mormons have a lot of additional beliefs that other Christian denominations don't have.

The stories they tell, of course, are all different. Christians and Jews don't believe that Mohammed was a prophet, Christians and Jews don't believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet, Muslims believe that Jesus was a prophet but not the Son of Man, Jews believe neither, but when the three (or four if you include American Mormonism) are talking about God, they referring to the same Abrahamic God but the characteristics are different.

It's the same god like how Batman is the same guy in the 60s tv show, the Burton films, and Lego Batman.

Holy hell, this is one of the finest analogies I've ever read.

Madness

Dishonorable but probably smart given where he lives.

Fuck that. The very point of the Olympic games is the unity of humans and togetherness through sport. Not even shaking hands as if he will be tarnished. This is dehumanizing. Ban the fucker from the Olympics and fine the Egyptian IOC.

Besides the Palestinian issue people Egypt was also invaded by Israeli in 1967 which was a massacre on the Egyptian side and the they even managed to even annex sani until it was taken back in another waralso we were receiving lots Gaza refuges during there attack and saw first hand what Israeli was doing so theres a ton of bad blood between the two countries

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Yeah no...jews and Christians perhaps

Allah is just the Arabic term for God. "God" isn't a name, it's a moniker referring to a supreme deity.

now, if you want to refer to God in various languages...
In English you'd use God
In Arabic you'd use الله‎, (Allah, which is believed to be a contraction of al ilah, literally "The God")
In Hebrew you have a lot of names and monikers, but you'd probably use Adonai ("My Lord") or Elohai/Elohei/Elohim (basically "My God")

Civilly? Why should he deal with an occupier civilly?

On one hand you're respecting your fellow human being.

On the other, you're perpetuating a division in which neither individual has any direct control.

Also, it's called being nice respective of boundary.

e.g. Part and purpose of the Olympics

Tell me which one is more likely to result in a positive change?

Thanks, guys. I came up with it years ago.

I think the argument that these gods are the same is stupid at best and intellectually dishonest at worst.

I think that's a bit unfair to say--depending on who you ask it is the same God. Christians and Jews share holy books (and won't dispute that amongst each other) and Muslims believe it's the same God as the first two books but the message got sort of reinterpreted along the way. From an atheist's point of view it's easy to reduce it to "nope not the same" but I would respectfully disagree. I love your analogy though 😁 Even tho we disagree on the second point I still find it appropriate.

mcrommert

Banned
Thanks, guys. I came up with it years ago.

I think the argument that these gods are the same is stupid at best and intellectually dishonest at worst.

Agreed. And a good analogy. My specific point is as Christians( to varying degrees) believe in a triune God they really do believe a different being in practice and theory than muslim do...noy even speaking about the differences in revealed theology from the muslim god.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

On the other, you're perpetuating a division in which neither individual has any direct control.

Not to mention that respect and being apolitical is a core principle of judo itself.

Wtf is this. Did the Israeli judoka occupy his land? Shouls greeks stop shaking hands with Turks who occupy Constantinople now called Istanbul. It is the Olympics. You're going against the very spirit of the games. Keep your politics out of it.

If a modern Egyptian athlete cannot shake hands with an Israeli athlete it is sheer anti semitism, anti jewism and dehumanization.

How anyone can even defend this shit is beyond me.
All of this.

Madness

Civilly? Why should he deal with an occupier civilly?

Wtf is this. Did the Israeli judoka occupy his land? Shouls greeks stop shaking hands with Turks who occupy Constantinople now called Istanbul. It is the Olympics. You're going against the very spirit of the games. Keep your politics out of it.

If a modern Egyptian athlete cannot shake hands with an Israeli athlete it is sheer anti semitism, anti jewism and dehumanization.

Jag

Besides the Palestinian issue people Egypt was also invaded by Israeli in 1967 which was a massacre on the Egyptian side and the they even managed to even annex sani until it was taken back in another waralso we were receiving lots Gaza refuges during there attack and saw first hand what Israeli was doing so theres a ton of bad blood between the two countries

You mean the Six Day War? You really need to read up on it just a little.

Clipjoint

They are both there as representatives of their countries. It's understandable that any Arab would refuse acts of normalization with Israel while they oppress the Palestinians - although in that context, he should have refused to compete against him in the first place.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
However, Palestine made the choice to go to war in 1947 by not accepting the UN Partition plan. And the other Arab nations joined them in '48 in a war of elimination, in which the stated goal was to drive the Jews into the sea. Certainly that has fostered a great deal of enmity, as did al-Husseini's support of the Nazis in World War II. I don't agree with the goals of the Israeli right-wing which unfortunately now has a majority in the country and is, as you said, hell bent on acquiring all of Palestine. And there were indeed many Zionists (historically, the Irgun and Lehi) who committed wanton violence and acts of terror that cannot be excused. However, going back to my original point, the comparison to Apartheid South Africa just does not stand up to scrutiny. To make that argument is to blindly dismiss the historical context in which the state of Israel was created and the historical ties to the land that the Jews do indeed have. It's a much more complex situation than simple colonialism.

If you want to get technical, European converts, such as the Ashkenazi and Sephardi, don't really have a strong claim to any legacy in the Levant. Their immigration, and establishment of a new state, can be seen as more European colonialism of foreign lands.

-------------

The games should be a platform to foster ties of friendship between foreign competitors and nations, poor form by the Egyptian athlete and missed opportunity for politicians to begin a positive dialogue. But there has always been the aspect of Olympians demonstrating to express their discontent with the state of the world.

Israeli does not mean Jewish. The Israeli Christian and Muslim population would appreciate being recognized as existing. And that doesn't even account for the usual nationalist tension between two historically warring states. Knock it off with the "It must be Anti-semitism!" rhetoric.

frontovik

Banned
Not impressed. It's a handshake in the spirit of friendly competition. I'd commend the Israeli for being the better man in this situation.

They are both there as representatives of their countries. It's understandable that any Arab would refuse acts of normalization with Israel while they oppress the Palestinians - although in that context, he should have refused to compete against him in the first place.

But the Olympics also represent individual exceptionalism.

I also find it disturbing that normalisation is equatable to basic human civility.

To make it clear, if this individual did this in response to external pressure then I'll somewhat understand. Not to condone obviously.

Madness

The fact you extend the actions of a government to it's citizens is just crazy, especially athletes. Fucking anti-semitism in the flesh right here.

Tubobutts

If you want to get technical, European converts, such as the Ashkenazi and Sephardi, don't really have a strong claim to any legacy in the Levant. Their immigration, and establishment of a new state, can be seen as more European colonialism of foreign lands.
Hahahahahahaha

Clipjoint

It has nothing to do with his religion or the fact that he's Jewish. He is a representative of the state of Israel, a state which is currently imprisoning the Palestinian population with no civil rights.

While Israel subjugates the Palestinians to this standard of treatment, the only way to fight for their freedom is by boycott, divestment, and sanctions, as well as refusing any acts of normalization with representatives of the Israeli state.

Audioboxer

I wonder what the posts would have been like if the Israeli fighter had refused to shake the Egyptian's hand.

Well I very much doubt people would be performing the same mental gymnastics to say the Israeli was the victim.

I have a feeling you'd have 99% Islamophobic comments/remarks. Which I have no issue with as long as discrimination is seen equally and not only applied to some humans. Than in itself is a form of discrimination and precisely why we have certain religions thinking they are superior human beings to other human beings.

Clipjoint

But the Olympics also represent individual exceptionalism.

I also find it disturbing that normalisation is equatable to basic human civility.

In that case, remove the flags and nationalism from the games. Make it an exhibition of human achievement, and there would be no issue shaking his hand. As long as he's there as a representative of the state of Israel though - no normalization.

Madness

It has nothing to do with his religion or the fact that he's Jewish. He is a representative of the state of Israel, a state which is currently imprisoning the Palestinian population with no civil rights.

While Israel subjugates the Palestinians to this standard of treatment, the only way to fight for their freedom is by boycott, divestment, and sanctions, as well as refusing any acts of normalization with representatives of the Israeli state.

Yeah? Well good luck bringing any sort of legitimacy to your boycott divestment and sanctions actions by being racist anti semites who treat fellow humans like lepers who can't be touched. Ban any countries like this from the Olympics I say. No wonder Israel plays in UEFA for soccer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom