• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

Ricker

wohoooo

LinearIgnorantBlacklemur.gif

Very nice...this game is awesome.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Just picked this up w the target buy 2 get 1 deal, also got Fallout 4 and Black Ops 3. Yeah I've got no time to play all 3 but I'll try lol.

I played 4 hours straight of TR and had to stop myself, this game is freaking fantastic, I love everything about it so far.

Lima

Yeah, it's a shame that she's not in the game at all (afaik).

https://www.comixology.com/Tomb-Rai...?ref=Y29taWMvdmlldy9kZXNrdG9wL2JyZWFkY3J1bWJz

The comics fill in the gaps between what happened in Tomb Raider and Rise. Mentions the therapist we've seen in the trailer etc.

If you don't want to buy the comics you can just read the summary in this Polygon article to get an idea why Sam is not in the game.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/11/10/9...omb-raider-and-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-comics

Lima

Completed the game 100% and mopped up all the miscellaneous achievements. All that is left is score attack. Will dig in this weekend. Kinda sad that it is over tbh. What an amazing ride.

Lima

What does it mean if some things on the map such as relics, have a padlock over them?

Means you can't get to them yet. They might be behind a metal barrier that you need explosive stuff for example.

The monoliths have a lock over them if you don't have enough proficiency in the language required to decrypt them etc.

https://www.comixology.com/Tomb-Rai...?ref=Y29taWMvdmlldy9kZXNrdG9wL2JyZWFkY3J1bWJz

The comics fill in the gaps between what happened in Tomb Raider and Rise. Mentions the therapist we've seen in the trailer etc.

If you don't want to buy the comics you can just read the summary in this Polygon article to get an idea why Sam is not in the game.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/11/10/9...omb-raider-and-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-comics

Awesome, i'll try and read them! Thanks!

Pimpbaa

Love this game so damn much. I think Crystal Dynamics nailed the amount of tombs and combat. This game is so much better than their super short pre Tomb Raider 2013 games. I just hope the next game takes place in a place that is not cold (especial considering how nice Syria looked for the brief time you were there).

Justinh

I honestly thought the score for this game was superior. It was more memorable and cinematic imo.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but you can download each song from the official soundtrack from
Crystal Dynamics' Soundcloud page

From what I understand, there's one song missing, though. this one - not available for download

Note: They're like... aif files, not mp3s.

edit: more "official" link for the Karen O song.

Jobbs

Banned
The story seems interesting and the graphics and production are all great, but holy jeez do they make you go through a lot of barely interactive (or non interactive) stuff before the game begins...

Drewfonse

2 hours and.....loving it. Maybe more, at least initially than the Uncharted games. Never though I'd say that.

I've never been to Siberia before, but I feel confident in telling Lara to ZIP UP YOUR FUCKING JACKET AND WEAR A HAT

emrober5

Just got the
grappling axe
. Definitely gave me that feeling from the first Uncharted 4 gameplay video.

Man, this game is great. Such a huge improvement over TR:DE, and I really enjoyed that.

Wanderer5

Ugh damn the exclusive deal, through granted I wouldn't have been able to play this now anyway heh.

But anyway, beside the amount of combat still around (guess it makes sense with all the upgrading, but god please least have some good amount of variety in enemies then along with balancing out some er more quiet moments heh), I glad it seems just about all of my issues with TR2013 has improve, maybe could push some even further, but I take it.

Too bad there only 9 challenge tombs (least so far, hopefully there be more via DLC), but well either way, step up from those pitiful tombs in 2013 from the looks of it.

JayB1920

Ugh damn the exclusive deal, through granted I wouldn't have been able to play this now anyway heh.

But anyway, beside the amount of combat still around (guess it makes sense with all the upgrading, but god please least have some good amount of variety in enemies then along with balancing out some er more quiet moments heh), I glad it seems least most of my issues with TR2013 has improve, maybe could push some even further, but I take it.

Too bad there only 9 challenge tombs (least so far, hopefully there be more via DLC), but well either way, step up from those pitiful tombs in 2013 from the looks of it.

Yeah they are definitely a step up. You at least have to explore and experiment a little to figure out the puzzles. There were a couple of quiet moments in the campaign. There are more places where you just do some platforming and there are a couple puzzles in the campaign.

Robby322

All these positive impressions of this game are making it real hard to wait for it to come out on PC. :(

I almost might just cave in and get it on Xbox One at this point. I really loved playing through the first one earlier this year.

Drewfonse

All these positive impressions of this game are making it real hard to wait for it to come out on PC. :(

I almost might just cave in and get it on Xbox One at this point. I really loved playing through the first one earlier this year.

You have a One? Just get it, it looks and plays great.

Jumeira

Banned
No game has made me feel so cold, can almost feel the frost bite setting in. Brrrrrr

I have a very high end pc but don't want to wait to play this. Should I get it for my xbox one or just wait?

Your missing out, it looks fantastic on X1, you'll have an incredible ride.

Grisby

Hit the second 'hub' area today. Feels a bit like Skyrim.

Framerate is noticeably worse in the area, but it's not too distracting.
Genuinely one of the worst books I have ever read. Double spaced all to hell and it was clear it wasn't written for storytelling but for a paycheck.
Urg, yeah, it was a stinker. Still haven't finished it.

JayB1920

A query: How's the platforming puzzle sections in this game? And the balance in relation of combat encounters?

A good improvement on the reboot. Still easy overall but the puzzles require exploration and experimentation this time at least. You wont walk into a room and instantly know what to do. Overall balance is hard to say as i spent a lot of time exploring and doing optional tombs and missions.

Montresor

Is it possible to delete screenshots in the new OS?

If not then I don't think I can play this game tonight... It's not rational but in every session I take many screenshots and I need to curate them (delete crappy screenshots and keep my favourites) on the fly...

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This is a cinema right? Can't be the actual game eng...oh my God, it's the game.

This is the best looking game I've ever seen. CD's artists are amazing.

This is the best looking game of the gen for me, and by far. Of course some of it comes down to art, but between lara's model and the environments.. 30 minutes in and I am completely blown away.

One thing that gets really old, both in uncharted and TR:
why is everything constantly collapsing? Lara and Nathan are both made of dark matter and pretty much destroy the structural integrity of everything they touch. 5 minutes in the game, and THREE times, we see Lara hanging off a huge cliff by her little metal axe. It's cool, but overdone, it gets tedious and so expected that there is no dramatic tension, just a micro-cutscene taking me away from the game

jackdoe

Played through the game a bit more. Based on my early impressions, Square Enix was fucking insane to have no confidence in the game and sign that timed exclusivity deal. The game is easily a massive step up from the first one in practically every category, though the story still isn't great. But I'm not really playing the game for story, I'll leave Uncharted to scratch that itch.

Yoday

I haven't had a ton of time to play yet, so progression has been slow, but even still I am looking forward to the expedition modes. I love this kind of score chasing. It reminds me of playing through the BF4 campaign and trying to beat friends scores.

Karak

We spent a good amount of time discussing this today in our podcast and it brought me to the realization that its the top contender for game of the year for me.
This is the best looking game of the gen for me, and by far. Of course some of it comes down to art, but between lara's model and the environments.. 30 minutes in and I am completely blown away.

One thing that gets really old, both in uncharted and TR:
why is everything constantly collapsing? Lara and Nathan are both made of dark matter and pretty much destroy the structural integrity of everything they touch. 5 minutes in the game, and THREE times, we see Lara hanging off a huge cliff by her little metal axe. It's cool, but overdone, it gets tedious and so expected that there is no dramatic tension, just a micro-cutscene taking me away from the game
I laughed out loud at times during the game. Described it in the review as a world made of graham crackers.

Top Bottom