• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

TheDanger

Banned
I really regret watching the first 20 minutes, wpuld have been so much better to see that the first time I played. Now I have reached the part that wasn't covered anymore, story seems better than the first game from the opening, but I'm not holding mu breath.

Jumeira

Banned
This is quite possibly the best looking game I've seen, I've just started and I need to take a step back.

..ok..

I'm ready to go back...here I go, the adventure begins !!

TheDanger

Banned
This is quite possibly the best looking game I've seen, I've just started and I need to take a step back.

..ok..

I'm ready to go back...here I go, the adventure begins !!

It does look phenomenal.

I think I spent more time taking screenshots than actually playing so far.

hawk2025

Am I crazy if I buy an Xbox for this and Gears + Forza 6 and Horizon 2?
So sad it's not coming to PC until March :(

You want Gears, two Forzas, and you get to play Tomb Raider now instead of later?

What are you waiting for?

Buy Halo 5 too, while you are at it :)

Teggy

Finished up at 97% and have cleaned up to 99%. Is there an in-game timer? I'll get the rest I am missing with a guide because I'm down to "needle in a haystack" stuff, not to mention the last document which is not appearing on the map. That will be an annoying process to figure out because I'll have to figure out the name of document by process of elimination.

I was definitely surprised by the game and it will be in my top 10. They did a great job addressing the issues I had with the 2013 game, although I didn't think that was a bad game by any means.

I hope in the next game
looks like we'll be heading to Central America/Mexico?
they keep building on the puzzles and string a few together to get that real old school Tomb Raider feel. Some further refinement of the stealth mechanics would be welcome, too.

Toa TAK

Banned
So I can't imagine playing this game on any other difficulty besides Survivor.

First game was very easy on "Hard" as well. Survivor should've just been the default difficulty.

Skilletor

First game was very easy on "Hard" as well. Survivor should've just been the default difficulty.

I started one below the hardest...don't know the name. Did the same with the first one. Probably should have just bit the bullet and done hardest difficulty.

I, too, am having trouble aiming. Had no issues in the first one, playing on the same setup. Couldn't even hit the deer in the intro. I ran out of arrows and had to craft some more. First one I had tons of headshots all the time with the bow.

Evilcrane

Just played for a couple of hours, the game is absolutely gorgeous! So does the game have some sort of multiplayer meta-thingie between your Xbox friends? I found my friend's backpack or something during the hunting tutorial, but closed the tutorial message by mistake before I managed to read through it - I tried googling for details but didn't really find anything on the subject.

Teggy

Have you played the last area? There are some fights in there I am really not looking forward to on survivor.

LUXURY

beaten the game yesterday, 93%
it was a good run, loved the exploration
my only complaints are the characters and the final section of the game, when it turns in somekind of horde mode and the game throws a shit ton of enemy in your face

Hm. I really didn't want to know that. Should have tagged it as a spoiler.

The input lag is still there, it's just less of an issue when going down the stealth route because the enemies aren't moving.
That has to be it. Surprised me to realize that the worst parts of this new game have been the action firefights. The classic Max Payne 3-esque situations where the game takes a quiet moment and throws you headlong into a small room full of alerted enemies, or otherwise drops a load of armored enemies on top of you who immediately rush your position. Scrambling around between and behind cover and aiming feels very imprecise when you're under the gun. Its squishy, slow, and easy to overshoot your target whether with your guns or when trying to scoot into cover only to end up overexposed to enemy fire.

I don't remember having these issues in TR2013. The combat movement and shooting in that game worked, I just wasn't interested in that stuff. Here I walk into the game expecting the action, but it doesn't feel right, and the "There she is! Get her!" way of throwing you into those scenarios gets old pretty quick, especially since those areas narrow your options so very much to what feels like a singular puzzle-esque solution. So, cue the deaths and restarts until you figure out what you're supposed to do.

rob305

beaten the game yesterday, 93%
it was a good run, loved the exploration
my only complaints are the characters and the final section of the game, when it turns in somekind of horde mode and the game throws a shit ton of enemy in your face

fuck you! why are people spoiling in here???

Toa TAK

Banned
That dude's not spoiling jack shit, what's the problem?

I honestly thought the score for this game was superior. It was more memorable and cinematic imo.

Funny you say that, as that's the exact opposite I feel. The signature sound of the first game here is missing. That would make sense as we're not on Yamatai anymore, but there was something distinct in the score of the first that carried throughout the game.

At the very least they had the sense to bring back Lara's theme he made, as it appears here and there.

JonnyKong

Anyone else find it kinda annoying constantly pressing R2 to scan a room? I don't think I'd mind so much if the button itself didn't feel so unsatisfying to press.

Anyone else find it kinda annoying constantly pressing R2 to scan a room? I don't think I'd mind so much if the button itself didn't feel so unsatisfying to press.
I disabled survivor vision, and recommend others do the same if they want more immersion and exploration.

One of the best looking games on the system. It plays great. Framerate seems like a solid 25-30fps. Cutscenes are mostly pre-rendered from the Xbox One version, which can be a BIT jarring, but nothing major. I don't have an Xbox One and wouldn't expect anyone to loan me theirs (considering Fallout 4 is out) but was able to borrow an Xbox 360 to play it. I don't feel I'm missing out on anything by not playing the Xbox One version (besides better visuals of course)

Thanks a lot for the impressions. Sounds great actually! I'm planing to start my playthrough later today or tomorrow. Also if I like the game as much as I'm expecting I'll get it eventually on PS4.

Dr Dogg

Well the story threw a curveball at me I didn't see coming. Plus I'm racking up upgrades like nobodies business. Lara is more tooled up than Batman.

I disabled survivor vision, and recommend others do the same if they want more immersion and exploration.

I think once you get an idea what certain objects look like, climate walls, pryable doors salvage crates, storage boxes, audio log collectables etc. you don't really need it.

shinnn

wohoooo

LinearIgnorantBlacklemur.gif

leng jai

If you really want to 100% the collectibles you probably do have to use survivor vision since it's easy to miss stuff. It's annoying as hell, ugly and completely immersion breaking. I really despise how so many games are using a "detective mode" of some sort which basically just highlights everything under the sun for you.

TheYanger

Well the story threw a curveball at me I didn't see coming. Plus I'm racking up upgrades like nobodies business. Lara is more tooled up than Batman.

I think once you get an idea what certain objects look like, climate walls, pryable doors salvage crates, storage boxes, audio log collectables etc. you don't really need it.

If you really want to 100% the collectibles you probably do have to use survivor vision since it's easy to miss stuff. It's annoying as hell, ugly and completely immersion breaking. I really despise how so many games are using a "detective mode" of some sort which basically just highlights everything under the sun for you.

These, to just play through the game you definitely don't need it once you recognize what can be interacted with in what manner, but there's 0 chance you're gonna get 100% without it, or even a high percentage. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the challenge tombs turn into REAL stumpers wtihout it. But, yeah just running around? meh.

I do miss it being on a more accessible button though, but the new control scheme is largely just superior.

Dr Dogg

You know you've got issues when you see a projector you can interact with...
But then realise that once you step in front of it the image is projected onto the character and is scaled and occluded correctly relative to the distance from the screen...

And then spend the next 20 mins faffing about. It's the little things.

jbttwin

You know you've got issues when you see a projector you can interact with...

But then realise that once you step in front of it the image is projected onto the character and is scaled and occluded correctly relative to the distance from the screen...

And then spend the next 20 mins faffing about. It's the little things.

This is awesome.

As a big fan of the series I've never particularly been impressed with Crystal Dynamics' work overall but the attention to detail with this game shows real passion. I hope they can expand even further on these improvements in the next game.

leng jai

I'm surprised by how complex some of the Tombs are. Some of them really make you think.

Most aren't hard but still clever and stimulating. I think they found a good balance between fun and sufficiently difficult for the average person. The only gripe I have is that all of them are just condensed to one room.

I just purchased it and immediately regretted it :/

I shouldnt have played star wars. It makes this game look.....rough

We'll see how this develops, still at the start of the game

JayB1920

I'm surprised by how complex some of the Tombs are. Some of them really make you think.

Yeah. I like how a lot of them have hidden nooks and crannies to explore and find collectibles. Which one is your favorite?

Most aren't hard but still clever and stimulating. I think they found a good balance between fun and sufficiently difficult for the average person. The only gripe I have is that all of them are just condensed to one room.

Yeah they are a pretty good balance. 3-4 of the tombs had puzzles that spanned more than one room. Granted they were all still condensed to a small area.

leng jai

I just purchased it and immediately regretted it :/

I shouldnt have played star wars. It makes this game look.....rough

We'll see how this develops, still at the start of the game

IQ wise it's a bit rough, but the actual graphics are insane. The PC version will melt minds. Strange comment considering the Xbone version of BattleFront is 720p.

Plumpman

IQ wise it's a bit rough, but the actual graphics are insane. The PC version will melt minds.

Not to knock the game, because its been beautiful on the Xbox, but all I can think the whole time I'm playing is that I can't wait for the PC version. It will truly be glorious.

Am I crazy if I buy an Xbox for this and Gears + Forza 6 and Horizon 2?
So sad it's not coming to PC until March :(

Don't see why that would make you crazy, besides those games there are some great exclusives you may find interesting as well.

It's tough owning multiple platforms, but I find it hard to miss out on the good exclusives each have.

You want Gears, two Forzas, and you get to play Tomb Raider now instead of later?

What are you waiting for?

Buy Halo 5 too, while you are at it :)

Aaaaand and and and Sunset Overdrive!

Everytime I play this game and remember that it's not nominated for best Art Direction on the Game Awards... Sigh, it baffles me.

Top Bottom